The online racing simulator
S2 Patch X10
(314 posts, closed, started )
Quote from danowat :It may not be 100% realistic (what is), but it IS the most realistic view available in any racing sim.

I don't agree and there's no absolute truth to that question as long as we play with a single screen! I already said it in that topic but you don't see 2 time your wheel in real life and as geeman said you would see much more through your windscreen that you ever will with that view! IMO the view I m using is more realistic and it 's just a matter of feeling.

Quote from Vykos69 :Guys, it's AN OPTION!!!

I fear that it may not if too many servers use it. The online experience would be terminated for me if that happen! I just hope scawen is gonna make the AI rocks in the next patch!
After the ranting, lets get to the needed updates for the forced cockpit option:

- customcam available for spectators pls (especially for streaming, watching league races with roof-cam e.g.)
- POV (not fov) adjustable in cockpitview. Meaning moving the position of the virtual eyes to front/back and up/down to some extent.

Not that those needed options where wanted years ago already....
Quote from GianniC :I jus don't like this. Reason ? Don't care about seeing 2x a wheel, but I use 'chase car' view. Yes, I know... it isn't "realistic" but with all do respect for this great racingsim I do still see this also as a game. I just can not orientate myself in the cockpit view. I have tryed before, but I have no feelin with the car then. By using the 'chase car' view, I can see when the rear tyres slide away, I can correct then and keep on track. I see exactly where my 2 tyres go over the curbs, perhaps I can get some closer. I see exactly what driving line my car follows, in cockpit view I don't. Perhaps it is cause I haven't drove in a real car yet, however I strongly disagree on making this view forced.

Vykos may scream then that it is "an option", but I have no doubt the most leagues will use this forced system, to improve the 'realism'. Public hosts will probably not all use this system, however I think it will be a matter of time before 95% of the hosts will use it.

You said it all. I agree 100%.
Well, Scawen obviously agree's, otherwise he wouldn't have done it
To me, the wheels/custom view is really realistic, but I ride motorbikes, so I'm used to not having a "Technical Grey" dash in front of me.

Wheels view to me is almost the same as being inside my bash-hat, just without the lean.

Anyway, I'm off down the pub. At least it's sunny so I can sit outside and have a ciggie.

Edit: Roof-cam would be superb, for watching and for racing.
Been on a few severs already and have the force cockpit on :bananadea , this is really pissing me the **** off... it's just like saying right lads your dick is going to be cut off puck up and deal with it.

How much i love this game it is getting out of control with the realism in the game, there are points thats are good and really stupid ones like force cockpit option. Some people have used the same view since the beginning of playing lfs and then this comes out and spoils it by just one option.

Hope this option is turned off for the autox or there will alot of pissed of people like i am already.
Quote from GianniC :By using the 'chase car' view, I can see when the rear tyres slide away, I can correct then and keep on track. I see exactly where my 2 tyres go over the curbs, perhaps I can get some closer. I see exactly what driving line my car follows, in cockpit view I don't. Perhaps it is cause I haven't drove in a real car yet, however I strongly disagree on making this view forced.

So, you are getting an "unfair" advantage because you can see where you wheels are going?.

Chase car view is nowhere near realistic, of course YOU may be faster than me simply because you use chase car, and I don't, I am just glad that now, when the option is enabled, we all will be on a level playing field.
Quote from rc10racer :Been on a few severs already and have the force cockpit on :bananadea , this is really pissing me the **** off... it's just like saying right lads your dick is going to be cut off puck up and deal with it.

How much i love this game it is getting out of control with the realism in the game, there are points thats are good and really stupid ones like force cockpit option. Some people have used the same view since the beginning of playing lfs and then this comes out and spoils it by just one option.

Hope this option is turned off for the autox or there will alot of pissed of people like i am already.

Keep ya pecker up mate

Hehehe, personally, I think it's funny, I wonder just how many "alien" drivers will be brought down to earth with a bump on forced view servers hehehe
Quote from danowat :So, you are getting an "unfair" advantage because you can see where you wheels are going?.

Chase car view is nowhere near realistic, of course YOU may be faster than me simply because you use chase car, and I don't, I am just glad that now, when the option is enabled, we all will be on a level playing field.

Who says I am faster then you because of the use of another view ? Can you prove this by %'s and facts ? No you can not.
Other people perhaps race with the custom view, no wheel, just 2cms of the front tyres. They have a 'advantage' also over the 'chase car' view that I'm using, does this mean they are faster then me ? No.
It is all about the feeling you have with the car, the habit perhaps too. Some feel the car better by seeing the 4 tyres, other feel it better like it would be in real life, others feel the car better on a totally other way. This are personal opinions and feelings and it just is not right to force people to race with a view where they have no feeling at all with the car. No matter what excuses you come up with, this is just not done.

Cockpit view may be for some people more realistic, but for me LFS is a fun hobby and a computergame. If I want to race and use another view, I want to be able to do this and not be forced into another view by one or another host.

Regards,
GC
Nonsense. You can't ever FORCE me to drive in cockpit view. You can only force me not to drive. Will that make somebody happy?
Quote from danowat :So, you are getting an "unfair" advantage because you can see where you wheels are going?.

Are you right handed?

Go and write something with your left hand.

Same principles, hard to switch over.

Terrible comparison there from me, and I've still not left. Bloody forums.
Quote from Vykos69 :Guys, it's AN OPTION!!!

Still, I believe the option should be to disallow the chase view because it's a dangerous view to use on racing servers (no mirrors, you don't even hear the other cars untill they enter your screen) rather than forcing the use of a specific view, for obvious hardware reasons.

Quote from hackerx :Nonsense. You can't ever FORCE me to drive in cockpit view. You can only force me not to drive. Will that make somebody happy?

Good point

Quote from Vykos69 :needed updates for the forced cockpit option:

- customcam available for spectators pls (especially for streaming, watching league races with roof-cam e.g.)
- POV (not fov) adjustable in cockpitview. Meaning moving the position of the virtual eyes to front/back and up/down to some extent.

+1
Quote from rc10racer :Been on a few severs already and have the force cockpit on :bananadea , this is really pissing me the **** off... it's just like saying right lads your dick is going to be cut off puck up and deal with it.

I hope you get it your way, have "Forced NFS Chase View"

Joking aside I do agree, I use cockpit view and can't see any reason to bring this forced thing in? I mean what's the point? If it's not broken don't fix it and up untill now I havn't heard anyone complaining about someone else using a differnt view from them. (Unless it's me to Pecky slagging him about his chase view :razz

Silly thing to bring in towards the end of S2, maybe at the start of S3 if there is one it would be ok because everybody would be learning the game again, but when some people have been driving 2 or more years in a view that has just been shafted.....
Quote from Hankstar :A good option too - for leagues and comps (such as LX Month) especially, as it will level the playing field.

A quick gaze into my crystal ball tells me we won't see forced cockpit view much on pickup servers, judging by the amount of :bananadea that it's generated already.

Probably because an OPTION may become a STANDARD .
Quote from danowat :Keep ya pecker up mate

Hehehe, personally, I think it's funny, I wonder just how many "alien" drivers will be brought down to earth with a bump on forced view servers hehehe

I see that most league owner's see that chase view is a view for pussy and that the driver has no track awareness what so ever, i admit that chase view does not allow you to know where others are but i know what is around me alot better then some so called aliens who has mirrors and look behind features, it's all down to your sense of motion and hearing for me.
I like forced cock-pit, for me it fits with the simulation idea behind LFS. But really it doesn't make a big difference knowing what view the losers have.

Anyway, I have a little issue. I downloaded a new version of LFS yesterday, cause my old version seemed to be getting slow. Since I created this new version I seem to always get a cryptic message when first launching the game. I don't know what it means.

Otherwise I have no problems racing and the game runs beautifully.
Attached images
LFSWeirdMessage.jpg
#67 - mr_x
I don't like forced cockpit option, due to the fact I don't like the position of the cockpit camera so I use custom views. The only way I'd accept it would be if the 'driver seat' was adjustable (forwards/backwards, up/down)

And you guys saying "don't go to forced cockpit servers"

What if that is the only server with a car/track combo we like?

I really hope this is removed or re-thought for a bit more adjustability.
Quote from Syfoon :Are you right handed?

Go and write something with your left hand.

Same principles, hard to switch over.

Terrible comparison there from me, and I've still not left. Bloody forums.

Nope, I am left handed, and have been "unfairly" disadvantaged by it too

Personally, I really can't see what all the fuss is about, just learn to race from a different view, or don't race on servers that have forced cockpit on them, it's that simple really.
Quote from danowat :Hehehe, personally, I think it's funny, I wonder just how many "alien" drivers will be brought down to earth with a bump on forced view servers hehehe

I doubt it would affect any "alien" drivers at all. They're good for a reason and the view they use isn't one of them.

I knew it would happen some day but it's a sad day for LFS indeed.

btw for the record I use cockpit view.
I knew this stupid arguing/moaning would happen.

I know it says forced cockpit view but it's still optional. I can't see many or why servers would run it, even if they do it will only be to test it or until they realise that not as many people are joining.

This thread should be locked now cause knowing the way people are and how this forum is it will only go down hill from here.

Quote from Lotesdelere :Still, I believe the option should be to disallow the chase view because it's a dangerous view to use on racing servers

Not true.

I used chase view ever since I started with LFS and cant remember one single crash I had BECAUSE of the chase view. I have used this view for over 2 years and am experienced with it so I wont cause any crashes because of it.

Its not the view that is dangerous, its the driver.
Quote from danowat :Nope, I am left handed, and have been "unfairly" disadvantaged by it too

Personally, I really can't see what all the fuss is about, just learn to race from a different view, or don't race on servers that have forced cockpit on them, it's that simple really.

Learning to race from a different view is easier said then done. Go write with your right hand then, lefty

Computer games-wise, I've been using the on-car view since way back on Ridge Racer, when it was just road and dials, and it's sort of stuck. Coupled with years of being on the road viewing it all from inside a lid, with nothing in front of my eyes except a bit of see-through plastic hasn't helped one bit. The cockpit view on LFS is good, and I can drive with it, but nowhere near the pace I can in wheels view, due to my prior experience on games and in the real world.
Is forced cockpit option there because other views are considered a cheat?

I've considered other views (mainly wheels view) as both cheating and as a learning aid. Example- BL chicane, and watching how the fast guys were going through the chicane, I couldn't grasp what was happening in cockpit view because it just obscured things below. In wheels view it became plain as day, so I started using wheels view to try help cut my times down...

Having said that I don't really think that you can get everyone on the same 'level' until we're all using the same input device, same system specs and viewing screen/fov, same internet connection speed etc... Personally I don't mind having forced cockpit, because that's what I usually use, but that's just lucky for me.
You know, there is one thing which can make me very pissed off in a forum. When you add a valuable opinion and contribution, and that the people, your 'opponents', post behind you that you are "ranting" or "moaning".

This is absolutly no moaning, just giving my feeling about this new option in LFS on a constructive way. So please, can you stop saying that the people who dislike this new option are "moaning" or "ranting". Show some respect for others their opinions!

And again, as Danowat said, I have no doubt I'll have to go learn this new view since it will be forced on likely every server soon and later on this 'option' will become a standard setting, why otherwise introduce it?! I just want to point out that I see no reason why using another view is considered suddenly as "cheating" or as "giving an advantage above the cockpit view" and why we all are forced to use a view, a view where as I most of us never have used in all these years of LFS, and all those years in other racing games. This has nothing to do with "more realism", but just with a personal opinion and view.

A view does NOT make a game more realistic, but the physics DO!

Thanks,
GC
Quote from Xpowaspa :Which view is the cockpit veiw exactly?

The one inside the cockpit.

I'm not that bothered. Not as if I have scrolled through the views and thought, I wish that one wasnt there

Thanks Dev's
This thread is closed

S2 Patch X10
(314 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG