The online racing simulator
S2 Patch X10
(314 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Crazy Harry :quote: Added new multiplayer option : force cockpit view

So much about freedom of choice. Why don´t BAN mouse/ks drivers too?

BTW:

Ages ago I noticed something about a mirror for chase view. What about it? Did I miss something, because I can´t find it in the to-do list.

well nobody ever said lfs was a democracy. i drive from true cockpitview so this makes no difference to me.
ALL HAIL life co-dictators SCAVIER!!!
in scavier we trust
Why force the cockpit view?
I can understand that some people may want to forbid views that give an unrealistic advantage but it's unfair for people using custom view!
I don't like the cockpit view cause I feel it's weird to see 2 time my wheel
Scawen said that LFS wasn't a democracy.

Also DK, I was only kidding about it, I just thought Crazy Harrys example was completely crazy and retarded, because comparing a View point to a control method, is like comparing what kind of glasses you have (and restricting mirrored glasses) to cars (and restricting all but ferraris)
yo u can make the steering wheel invisible ingame. thats what i do

Quote from Maelstrom :
I don't like the cockpit view cause I feel it's weird to see 2 time my wheel

#30 - Gunn
Quote from DieKolkrabe :I've said it before and I'll say it again. NOT EVERYONE HAS/CAN GET/CAN USE A WHEEL.

Remember all the ruckus about the disabaled users in the hardcore thread?

DK

What has cockpit view got to do with owning a wheel?
Quote from DieKolkrabe :I'm against forced cockpit. I race(d) chase view to learn the tracks.

DK

As am I.

I drive exclusively in the "custom" view (Although I haven't changed it, so it's still just a wheels view) and using the cockpit view disorientates me, as I have no feeling where the offside front is.

I'd use cockpit view if I had 3 monitors, as it'd replicate what I'd see in a real car, but with 1 monitor, it feels like I'm sitting in a car with horse-blinkers on.
#32 - DeKo
i have a feeling though that the majority of pickup race servers wont bother with the forced cockpit, and you can easily avoid them by looking for the F.
Here we go again..........it was the same with the "no reset" option, moan moan moan.

Look, freedom of choice ISN'T being taken away, it's up to the server owner to decide if they allow forced cockpit.

Bottomline, I hope most of them do, regardless of what others say, cockpit IS the most realistic view in LFS PERIOD, and I for one applaud Scawen for taking this step, and the "no resets" option, to increase the realism in LFS.

All we need now is for him to somehow ban drifting and those bloody stupid cruise servers...........
Quote from Syfoon :I'd use cockpit view if I had 3 monitors, as it'd replicate what I'd see in a real car, but with 1 monitor, it feels like I'm sitting in a car with horse-blinkers on.

Totally agree. Thats why I use chase view, can´t get any kind of feeling in a static cockpit view.
Quote from Gabkicks :yo u can make the steering wheel invisible ingame. thats what i do

I didn't know about that option and it may be worth a try. When I'm playing I try to make a view where i can see what i would see if i was sitting in a car and could see only through a rectangle with the size of my screen and at the exact same distance. I find it more immersive like this
#36 - SamH
Scawen is not forcing you to use a particular view. He's giving hosts the ability to do so. This is absolutely appropriate for things like league organizers etc. who may wish for their own reasons, to do this for their league. It's simply about giving LFS hosts the ability to decide what kind of racing happens on their servers, and there is nothing at all wrong with that.
Quote from DeKo :i have a feeling though that the majority of pickup race servers wont bother with the forced cockpit, and you can easily avoid them by looking for the F.

You say that, but I can see a lot of the more popular servers putting it on just because it's new.
Quote from danowat :Bottomline, I hope most of them do, regardless of what others say, cockpit IS the most realistic view in LFS PERIOD, and I for one applaud Scawen for taking this step, and the "no resets" option, to increase the realism in LFS.

Comparing no reset to this is like comparing apples and oranges. They are very different. The view is a matter of preferance and no reset is just more realistic on any scale.
Saying cockpit is the most realistic view is simply not true. You see much less than in RL. The cockpit isn't as obscuring in RL than it is on a computer screen.
Obviously Eric wants everyone to appreciate his upcoming awesome interiors
Quote from SamH :... and there is nothing at all wrong with that.

Thats your opinion. IMO any kind of limits cuts a bit of the fun in a multiplayer game as long as the changes can do by everyone.
#41 - ndiw
Quote from Scawen :
Added new multiplayer option : force cockpit view

agreed, and please apply this for hotlaps too
Ot
OT

Hey, ndiw.

Love the avatar! :ices_rofl

Not seen it before
Quote from geeman1 :Saying cockpit is the most realistic view is simply not true. You see much less than in RL. The cockpit isn't as obscuring in RL than it is on a computer screen.

It may not be 100% realistic (what is), but it IS the most realistic view available in any racing sim.
Quote from Gunn :What has cockpit view got to do with owning a wheel?

When Dirty Harry made a nice post saying "What happened to freedom of choice, Why don't we ban Keyboard and Mouse too" and I sarcastically said "Yes, lets ban KB and Mouse" becuase of how ridiculous Harry's comparison of choices was. DK mis-took what I said as being literal.

I still think that Cockpit view is the only view that should be in LFS while partaking in the action, have all the other views only available in replays.
Guys, it's AN OPTION!!!
Quote from danowat :It may not be 100% realistic (what is), but it IS the most realistic view available in any racing sim.

To an extent.

As I said before, only really with multiple monitors. Obscuring most of the view with the interior on one monitor is annoying.

IMO, of course

Note to self: steal 2 monitors from somewhere...
Quote from danowat :It may not be 100% realistic (what is), but it IS the most realistic view available in any racing sim.

It's all about what YOU perceive as realistic. Is it the fact that you see the inside parts of the car like in RL or is it the same viewable are that you see in RL.
Quote from Vykos69 :Guys, it's AN OPTION!!!

A good option too - for leagues and comps (such as LX Month) especially, as it will level the playing field.

A quick gaze into my crystal ball tells me we won't see forced cockpit view much on pickup servers, judging by the amount of :bananadea that it's generated already.
This has the same things as FOV, some people use small (narrow) FOV's on larger monitors, where as myself on an iMac display, use a FOV of 110 (Used 120 on a 2560X1024 setup). Everyone will have different perspectives on what is "right" and will think everyone elses is wrong, when everyone should get with the program, and know that it's my opinion that's right and everyone elses is wrong...
Quote :Added new multiplayer option : force cockpit view

I jus don't like this. Reason ? Don't care about seeing 2x a wheel, but I use 'chase car' view. Yes, I know... it isn't "realistic" but with all do respect for this great racingsim I do still see this also as a game. I just can not orientate myself in the cockpit view. I have tryed before, but I have no feelin with the car then. By using the 'chase car' view, I can see when the rear tyres slide away, I can correct then and keep on track. I see exactly where my 2 tyres go over the curbs, perhaps I can get some closer. I see exactly what driving line my car follows, in cockpit view I don't. Perhaps it is cause I haven't drove in a real car yet, however I strongly disagree on making this view forced.

Vykos may scream then that it is "an option", but I have no doubt the most leagues will use this forced system, to improve the 'realism'. Public hosts will probably not all use this system, however I think it will be a matter of time before 95% of the hosts will use it.

SamH:
Quote :It's simply about giving LFS hosts the ability to decide what kind of racing happens on their servers

Are you saying I drive less clean then someone who is using a cockpit view ? That I behave less realistic on the track, because I use a different view ? I don't see any difference between the racers / sort of racing which is going on in a server and how a different view has any influence on "the kind of racing that happens on servers". Unles you can enlighten me ?

I see no reason why this option has to be able to set as forced by a host. Everyone sits behind his/her screen as he/she wants to and should be free to use any view he or she likes, and certainly not forced to use a certain view. People who want to "race as realistic as possible" will use automaticly the cockpit view, I see no reason at all why you should make the option availlable to force other people to use a view they do not wish to use.

Edit: And I would véry much appreciate it when certain people would stop calling this "a rant". This is a qualitative comment towards the Devs and pointing out my feeling about this 'improvement'.

Regards,
GC
This thread is closed

S2 Patch X10
(314 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG