The online racing simulator
I'm a bit disappointed with the list of improvements - I expected more.
No content, no massive physics changes, just a multiplayer patch basically... and it's taken nearly half a year.
Quote from axus :I'm a bit disappointed with the list of improvements - I expected more.
No content, no massive physics changes, just a multiplayer patch basically... and it's taken nearly half a year.

Well you cant please everyone can you.

Let get things straight here, the major complaints have been from people that cant play online for whatever reason. That is the major thing to get sorted. Those of us who don't have any online problems still find it the best racing experience ever on a PC.
Another major complaint was the crappy demo, with no online facility..that too has now been addressed.
There are physics changes..but no, no massive changes. Massive changes simply aren't necessary..nKPro has arguably the best physics of any current sim as it is.
The new content is still being worked on...a 17km+ hillclimb track isn't a quick thing to model accurately.

New cars are in the pipeline and the track editor isn't far away either.

Yes, progress has been far too slow on development so far, everyone acknowledges that, but i think this should be a good step forward.
Being able to race online with at least one person (racing online alone isnt fun) without lag, and being able to connect fast and smoothly would be a bloody marvelous step forward............
Quote from danowat :Being able to race online with at least one person (racing online alone isnt fun) without lag, and being able to connect fast and smoothly would be a bloody marvelous step forward............

Agreed...lets hope that's where we end up with 1.03.

What exactly do you mean by being able to connect fast and smoothly? what's your experience been?

I takes about 20 secs to join a game for me.
My experiance has been awfull, never anyone online, and when on the very odd occasion there is someone online, the UI is totally terrible, and the cars jump, warp and lag around like no ones business, I also either get disconnected a few mins into a game, or just sit there waiting for it to syncronise, and it never does.
It has always worked fine for me, no connection problems , quick connection to servers,

I ran in the first GPC league but only qualified for the first race, in the second season i was a test driver as i had other things on,

Pickup races in nkp sucked, GPC however was rather good fun
Quote from danowat :My experiance has been awfull, never anyone online, and when on the very odd occasion there is someone online, the UI is totally terrible, and the cars jump, warp and lag around like no ones business, I also either get disconnected a few mins into a game, or just sit there waiting for it to syncronise, and it never does.

Well, you right about the lack of online action...there's still very few pickup races happening as the user base just isn't big enough. That will only change if the new demo is good enough and the few remaining multiplayer issues are sorted out.
The amount of people joining GPC is increasing every week though, and there are two FR2000 leagues and an FF1800 League that are still oversubscribed, so nKPro is definitely getting more popular by the week, but it seems everyone's efforts go into the PQ sessions and the actual races, then people tend to take a break for a week.

The jumping/warping/lagging i have only experienced when my ISP introduced traffic shaping. Once i got them to unblock the ports it was absolutely fine, no better or worse than LFS. That was also the reason for not synching or getting dico'd iirc. Now i don't have that problem at all.
(not saying that's what the problem is for you, but it would be worth looking into)

The ONLY other lag issues have come from people driving on a server with really poor FPS. nKPro just doesn't function well with less than 25fps.

I really hope that 1.03 get's things sorted ,so that many more people will discover what a fine sim it is. But i will totally understand if nKPro never becomes more than a niche product in an already niche market.
It will be a shame as there's so much potential, but the Dev's didn't get off to a good start and it's always going to be difficult to turn things around.
If it does ultimately fail then they will only have themselves to blame...but i believe it will take off. It's just taking a long time to do it.
Quote from The Moose :Well you cant please everyone can you.

Let get things straight here, the major complaints have been from people that cant play online for whatever reason. That is the major thing to get sorted. Those of us who don't have any online problems still find it the best racing experience ever on a PC.
Another major complaint was the crappy demo, with no online facility..that too has now been addressed.
There are physics changes..but no, no massive changes. Massive changes simply aren't necessary..nKPro has arguably the best physics of any current sim as it is.
The new content is still being worked on...a 17km+ hillclimb track isn't a quick thing to model accurately.

New cars are in the pipeline and the track editor isn't far away either.

Yes, progress has been far too slow on development so far, everyone acknowledges that, but i think this should be a good step forward.

I applaud the progress - getting the online bit sorted is very important, and is the reason why I barely ever load it. FPS/lag issues are important too - no point being able to connect only to find your 160fps (in LFS) computer is reduced to 5fps at times.

Regarding the physics, obviously there is a bug in the F2000 (iirc), because it's almost impossible to spin. I guess that will be fixed. And the (multiplierless) flatspots are back (hurrah, I think). But what about the 'canned' (for want of a better term) 90° spins that sometimes occur - I think this really annoying. It just seems too fake and too frequent to be either me (not THAT bad) or realistic (doesn't happen in cars I've driven)...

Also, what position do you hold in the dev team. On RSC you don't seem to be an oracle of info, but here you seem to know everything happening behind the scenes. Is it all fact, or is some of it made up based on the odd post from Jaap?
i just hope this patch actually does what it is spose to and fixes things so i can finally get some online time with this game. I dont think it would ever overtake lfs for me, especially at the rate they are updating it. S3 will probably be out by the time nk is at v1.05
Quote from tristancliffe :
Also, what position do you hold in the dev team. On RSC you don't seem to be an oracle of info, but here you seem to know everything happening behind the scenes. Is it all fact, or is some of it made up based on the odd post from Jaap?

If i remember correctly Moose is a beta tester? with a few guys from the GPC championship
I really hope there will be improvements to the framerates as nK has a lot of potential and regardless of whether the netcode is sorted I reckon that hillclimb would be fun. Is there any indication whether the hillclimb will be included in nK or sold separately?
Quote from tristancliffe :

Regarding the physics, obviously there is a bug in the F2000 (iirc), because it's almost impossible to spin. I guess that will be fixed. And the (multiplierless) flatspots are back (hurrah, I think). But what about the 'canned' (for want of a better term) 90° spins that sometimes occur - I think this really annoying. It just seems too fake and too frequent to be either me (not THAT bad) or realistic (doesn't happen in cars I've driven)...

Quite frankly i gave up posting very much at RSC as it's a sad, depressing excuse for a forum.

I'm not in the Dev team ,but i am in the Beta test team and get my info from testing and from the people in direct communication with the Devs.

As for your points...i haven't seen 90 degree "canned"spins since 1.01
As i said, the physics have been tweaked now anyway.

The Ftarget had the rear axle bug, that seems to be sorted.

I don't claim to be an oracle of info,i dont know everything thats happening, I'm just reporting what i do know ,(within the confines of what I'm allowed to say) to those who are interested.
I don't need to make thing's up based on Jaaps posts thanks very much.
Quote from ajp71 : Is there any indication whether the hillclimb will be included in nK or sold separately?

The hillclimb (when it's done) will be included with nKPro. It is free content.
It bothers me every delay is excused with the phrase "work for BRD"... Wtf does he do? Manufacture all the pedal sets that are being ordered from BRD?
Quote from The Moose :Quite frankly i gave up posting very much at RSC as it's a sad, depressing excuse for a forum.

I'm not in the Dev team ,but i am in the Beta test team and get my info from testing and from the people in direct communication with the Devs.

As for your points...i haven't seen 90 degree "canned"spins since 1.01
As i said, the physics have been tweaked now anyway.

The Ftarget had the rear axle bug, that seems to be sorted.

I don't claim to be an oracle of info,i dont know everything thats happening, I'm just reporting what i do know ,(within the confines of what I'm allowed to say) to those who are interested.
I don't need to make thing's up based on Jaaps posts thanks very much.

That's cool. Agreed about RSC

I meant relative oracle (i.e. you know more that is on RSC, and more than any of us).

Barely driven since 1.01, as none of the patches improved the sim enough to warrent perseverence. Hopefully that will change with .03. I might see if I get the random 90 degree spins at the moment.

The 'making up stuff based on Jaap' wasn't serious, it was just a theory if you, like us, where an unknowing customer. With betatester status I can see that you know most of what he knows, and probably a bit more too. Thanks for clearing it up.

As for my play on dates (about patch releases), you have to admit that the nKP team brought it on themselves in the first place. With more communication, more frequent and better tested patches, more content and fixed online play I can see nKP becoming a contender; but not before.
Quote from tristancliffe : you have to admit that the nKP team brought it on themselves in the first place. With more communication, more frequent and better tested patches, more content and fixed online play I can see nKP becoming a contender; but not before.

Yup, your absolutely correct...the Dev's have indeed brought most of the criticisms on themselves. The lack of communication has been shocking.
I'm not surprised nKPro has the reputation it does.
I really hope that things will change for the better, only time will tell.

Ohh ,and i know no more than Jaap does. He is the closest to the devs, and now he has the roll of the 'middleman' between the devs and the community we should at least see more communication. It's all a step in the right direction.
Quote from The Moose :The ONLY other lag issues have come from people driving on a server with really poor FPS. nKPro just doesn't function well with less than 25fps.

Were you talking about the latest beta version? "Function"? Wasn't the FPS issues supposed to be history in 1.03? "Improved multiplayer performance", that better mean I can finally play it more than 30 fps online with a computer that is still above the official recommended specifications.

Quote :Ohh ,and i know no more than Jaap does. He is the closest to the devs, and now he has the roll of the 'middleman' between the devs and the community we should at least see more communication. It's all a step in the right direction.

I wonder why there needs to be a "middleman" in the first place? Why the devs simply doesn't tell this stuff directly to the community?

Quote from The Moose :Yup, your absolutely correct...the Dev's have indeed brought most of the criticisms on themselves. The lack of communication has been shocking.

Even more shocking was the official "response" in the ASS March issue...

I just wanted to post this, I guess not everyone have seen that.
Quote from deggis :Were you talking about the latest betaversion?

No, i was talking about 1.00 - 1.02

Quote from deggis :I wonder why there needs to be a "middleman" in the first place? Why the devs simply doesn't tell this stuff directly to the community?

Who knows what goes on in the dev's heads....fact is, im happy that we will now get some communication, whoever it comes from.
Quote from The Moose :Who knows what goes on in the dev's heads....fact is, im happy that we will now get some communication, whoever it comes from.

Yes and Jaap is now part of the dev team.
Quote from deggis :Yes and Jaap is now part of the dev team.

I don't quite like that expression. As been said by the Moose, he is the 'middleman', connecting the dev team to the crowd.
I'd say you have to develop to make part of the dev team.
You're right but part of nKp team anyway

From now on I have joined the netKar PRO team. I will carry out various tasks, but the one you will notice most is that I will be the 'linking pin' between you (the community) and the netKar PRO development team.

http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=287603
Should have been always like this! (I mean these weekly updates)
Another interesting read is Tristan getting his wrist slapped in the motorcycle thread.........They obviously aren't used to his 'ways' over there heheheheheh
Quote from mrfell :Another interesting read is Tristan getting his wrist slapped in the motorcycle thread.........They obviously aren't used to his 'ways' over there

Lol, it certainly raised a smile with me..and not much at RSC does

I especially enjoyed his rather meek apologetic tone. I didn't realise he had it in him
Nice one Tristan

NetKar Pro [v1.3 released]
(2766 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG