The online racing simulator
Quote from thisnameistaken :I have thrown lots of AA and AF at them, it's the lighting that sucks. And the textures in many places (especially those pristine armco barriers at Monaco).

I ran it for an hour or two tonight and I still just don't get netKar - or rather it doesn't get me. I can't put my finger on it but there's something that just makes it... not exciting?

Maybe if there was anybody to race against it might hold my interest longer, but lapping offline - even around Monaco - I'm bored after three laps. Not even long enough to get the setup working well!

I might have a fag and give it another go.

I believe I have bit similar problem, somehow it just keeps me away, could do few laps now and then, but it is not like LFS, which I mostly drive offline also, in LFS I can spend days building setup, testing and analyzing, but in Netkar it really does not set light on. Maybe it is tracks, maybe it is cars, don't know, but that sounds similar problem that you are having, after few laps it becomes boring or starts to feel as work.
Quote from thisnameistaken :
Maybe if there was anybody to race against it might hold my interest longer, but lapping offline

You should have joined the Lastplace server tonight (up most nights) Great racing all evening and plenty of people turned up (as they always do )
We keep seeing new faces. A couple of LFS'rs race with us as well. Juiceman is a nKpro regular and a guy i found out was Clownpaint turned up tonight.

We're currently running Silverstone in the F2000's in preparation for our mini tournament. Get some practice in and join us one evening ....PM me your e-mail if you'd like some setups to try.

With regards to it being boring and starting to feel like work, well i can't agree with boring at all, but i understand why you say it feels like work at time

I haven't raced it for the last week and going back to it after loads of LFS it feels really weird for a while. I expect to drive as fast as i do in LFS straight away and cant.
After i had 20 laps under my belt i started feeling all the subtleties in the feedback again and got into my rhythm and it felt fantastic.

I think a lot of the problem LFs ers have is adjusting to how the cars feel and give you feedback. It's so different from LFS that i can understand why it takes a lot of getting used to, and why people complain about the feel.
But once you "get it" it feels great.

It certainly takes a lot more effort and work for me to be fast in nKPro in comparison to LFS. but its so much more rewarding for me when it clicks in nKPro.

One of the guys who joined our forum said this in his first post
"To tell the truth I've had nk for a few months now but just couldn't get any satisfaction out of it. I couldn't work out what you guys were raving about. So off I went racing GTR2 (which I've thoroughly enjoyed BTW) but kept getting drawn back to the nkpro forum on RSC hoping to glean something from there, hoping like mad that I could find what some people were so excited about, well I think I've finally found it, a new G25, a change of FOV and a d/loaded setup for the F2000 at Aviano and bugger me if I wasn't suddenly getting 'it'.."

All it took him was a decent setup and he was hooked.

A guy on RSC described it well
" sometimes I try some laps and something weird happens after left the game.

When I go back to the others games, like LFS or GTR2, I don't feel these games as before. For several minutes I need to familiarize again with them.

I feel like they are more games than simulators. It is more about GTR2 than LFS, but even with LFS it is also dropped to a low level for a time.

I don't know what is different in NKP, but there is something. It is a mix of physics and force feedback maybe, but it feels much different from the others, much more real and natural.

It is strange cause in LFS I can feel that I'm in the track, but it is not like I'm driving a real car. In NKP I can feel that I'm in the track too, but now I feel it is a car.

Please, don't get me wrong... I'm not starting a thread "simulator A x B". I'm just having a small talk with people what I know share the same feeling by this game.

There are no other group that I know which would understand what I'm talking, cause you need to experiment to know.

NKP has a very immersive feeling, and after play it for some minutes it is hard to back to the others without feeling that I'm losing something..."

That's how most nKPro lovers feel.

As you can tell i'm very passionate about it. I am just as passionate about LFS although it doesn't satisfy my simming needs in the same way, and it's just as hard to persuade hardcore nKPro fans about the greatness of LFS.

It's just human nature i suppose, people like their comfort zones. I get the feeling a lot of LFS racers just dont want to put the effort into learning something that feels so unfamiliar, and you do need to put some time and effort into nKPro to get something out of it.
LFS offers so much in the way of instant gratification with regards to being able to jump in 24/7 and drive loads of cars on loads of tracks with loads of other people that it's bound to be the far more popular choice, especially if you only have limited time to enjoy your racing.

NKPro is more like work than LFS..but it's rewards are greater for me personally.

It's a bit like Falcon4 and Lockon as far as i can see. Both great flight sims but Falcon4 takes a lot of work and effort to enjoy. Faced with 30 mins of pre-flight checks and procedures before you even start to taxi, or jumping in, firing up the engines and taking off and getting into battle, the majority will go for LockOn if that's the choice.

I'm aware that I'm totally rambling on now I had the strongest cup of coffee and i feel like I've done a gram of speed

I'll get my coat.....
/ramble off
I think actually the range of cars on offer might be something to do with it. In LFS I drive the road cars almost exclusively - I rarely touch the single seaters. Similarly, when I got RACE for free I never played it, couldn't get to grips with those WTCC cars, they just felt floppy and rubbish, but I quite liked the Caterham expansion and had a fun evening driving that.

So maybe it's just that I'm not excited by the cars, I don't know. I'll try it again.
Quote from thisnameistaken :So maybe it's just that I'm not excited by the cars, I don't know. I'll try it again.

Yup, if your just not excited by single seaters (and i realise that loads of people aren't, especially winged cars) then it's never going to be your thing.

I drive the F2000 almost exclusively only because that's the only car that lots of people ( in nKPro terms ) drive online.

The FF1800 is a great and rewarding car to drive. It's hard to master but hugely rewarding when you start getting good in it. It's essential to get it set up well though otherwise it does feel like garbage, and the default set is terrible. (...another reason i think people have a negative impression with the Demo. The FF1600 is really quite nasty to drive with the default setup..Those first 20 mins of driving when people first try a demo are crucial imo. I saw something in it at that point luckily, i can see how a lot of people didn't)

I'd give the 1800 a go if i was you. It makes good use of your clutch pedal and is probably the most 'fun' car to drive when it clicks. Hunt down some good setups (I'll try and get a few together for you if you want)

If you still end up not liking it then, hey, at least you gave it another try nothing really lost apart from a few hours you could have been racing LFS

NetKar Pro - The Marmite of sim racing.
Yeah the FF1800 is my favourite out of the four but I've struggled to set it up nicely. I was aiming for a strong rearward bias hoping to be able to balance it on the edge of spinning on corner entry, but with a bog-standard DFP brake pedal I think I'm being a bit enthusiastic there.

The tyres are taking some getting used to, generally. If I'm not locking them all under braking then I'm downshifting too early (definitely a symptom of too much LFS) and locking the rears.

I'm going for a smoke and then maybe I'll have another bash in the FF1800 and the F2000 around Silverstone. I'll PM an address if you have any setups that might help!
Quote from thisnameistaken :I think actually the range of cars on offer might be something to do with it. In LFS I drive the road cars almost exclusively - I rarely touch the single seaters. Similarly, when I got RACE for free I never played it, couldn't get to grips with those WTCC cars, they just felt floppy and rubbish, but I quite liked the Caterham expansion and had a fun evening driving that.

So maybe it's just that I'm not excited by the cars, I don't know. I'll try it again.

Could be same with me, I drive also street cars mostly in LFS, well sometimes lately I have been driving XRR with wings set to 0, really enjoyable, imo

In NKP, I can tell how far or close sliding I am, also I would say that I know something from setting up a car, it drives pretty much way I like, but still some thing keeps me away from it. Could very well be cars.

In LFS I do enjoy most of fact that I can feel car and I can feel that car has some weight also, don't know about single seaters, MRT is perhaps only one I have driven some, others mostly tested a bit, I prefer cars that can get tail out without brown stuff on pants

Still I do enjoy from few laps now and then that I get with NKP, already done 3284km and 2020 of those online, mostly during first weeks

Oh, I don't have any add on tracks, nor I could find them from official site, RSC?
Quote from Shotglass :are you seriously claiming that nkp is bugfree (the showstopper type)

Bug free? Certainly not. I'm claiming there's no show stoppers though, at least not for me, any of my mates or any of the new guys that have joined up to our forums recently. They seem to be having a whale of a time.

To Quote a couple of the latest posts at RSC
Ricardo Nunnini said"There's a depth and subtlety to netKar that I haven't found elsewhere. I read all the negative comments that people make about netKar , and just don't understand them."

and in response to a comment that said"The fact that it's pretty much only usable offline" Davy Willo said
"not sure what you're basing this on fella but me and a bunch of guys are having some great online fun, so far the only thing that we could complain about 'Online' is that a fast quali lap can be messed up by the 'joining lag' bug, but its no biggy as most of us are on the server anyway, and as you've read in Jaaps update, that particular nasty is/has been dealt with.

I regularly run a server for up to 10 drivers using my medium spec home pc (look out for Willo) I then join my own server via the Netkar Pro Network.

I also run simultaneously to this a ventrillo server so that the lads can log in and we can then verbally communicate (read take the pi$$ out of each other as we race) and yet with all of this going on the online experience is still smooth and problem free, bar the above mentioned 'joining lag' of course.

I have to say, nkpro, a good ventrilo server and a bunch of mates = a great night of online racing with the added belly laughs."

If there were show stoppers then three successful seasons of GPC would never have happened.
Quote from The Moose :Bug free? Certainly not. I'm claiming there's no show stoppers though, at least not for me, any of my mates or any of the new guys that have joined up to our forums recently. They seem to be having a whale of a time.

well lets see from what ive gathered you currently have
1) a useless server browser (wrong pings)
2) massive join lag
3) abyssmal framerates when online even with some properly fast rigs (seems to be a bit of lottery if nkp decides to like your pc or not)

3 major issues which are enough to lead the net bit ad absurdum and kill its every chance of becomming a proper easy to access online game

(not to mention the obviously buggy work ethics of the development team)

Quote :and in response to a comment that said"The fact that it's pretty much only usable offline" Davy Willo said
"not sure what you're basing this on fella but me and a bunch of guys are having some great online fun, so far the only thing that we could complain about 'Online' is that a fast quali lap can be messed up by the 'joining lag' bug, but its no biggy as most of us are on the server anyway, and as you've read in Jaaps update, that particular nasty is/has been dealt with.

i dont remeber exactly when nkp was released but if my memory serves me right it was about a year and a half ago and the net bit still isnt up to pick up and play standards which is the requirement to be taken serious as a online game

Quote :I regularly run a server for up to 10 drivers using my medium spec home pc (look out for Willo) I then join my own server via the Netkar Pro Network.

I also run simultaneously to this a ventrillo server so that the lads can log in and we can then verbally communicate (read take the pi$$ out of each other as we race) and yet with all of this going on the online experience is still smooth and problem free, bar the above mentioned 'joining lag' of course.

which as i pointed out is by itself enough to kill the games every chance of building a huge online community which enables you to find a good race almost 24/7

Quote :If there were show stoppers then three successful seasons of GPC would never have happened.

they are show stoppers for what nkp claimed to be which is a seamless online experience and whichever way you play it it fails at that compared to any other major online title (ranging all the way from lfs to quake)

also you completely ignored my point about there simply not being an online community outside of a small group of league racers

btw for something completely different
i just watched a few of the gpc race reports and i couldnt help but notice that the drives give each other supiciously large amounts of room when overtaking
also the only really minor tap i saw in these videos resulted in a spin with the force to create the momentum comming out of nowhere
am i correct that the collision detection of nkp is actually worse than lfs' (which in itself is utter rubbish)
Quote from The Moose :To Quote a couple of the latest posts at RSC

That's quite small sample...

I have no idea how many Nkp licenses have been sold in total but at least it can't be less than 1000. I think it is very obvious that the current community at GPC and in rscnet covers only a minority of ALL license owners. Have you thought how many people have completely or at least temporarily forgotten the game because of the certain issues? So forgotten that they don't bother whining about it anymore on rscnet.
Your question is unanswerable. I don't know if you have nkp or have tried the demo.
It's sad that something this good has not received the support it deserves. Support from the coder(s) or devs and the more skeptical of the community have grown bored and impatient, leaving only the hard core haters or lovers to carry on the endless and tedious bickering. To be honest, I like it, there's stuff it does better than LFS and there's stuff it does worse, but the biggest dra\wback is it hasn't developed the mass and momentum of the community like lfs has. In itself i think it's more of a niche sim, like GPL, so it will never interest the more casual or less 'mature' gamer. Not always a bad thing...
Quote from al heeley :it will never interest the more casual or less 'mature' gamer.

So you're saying it's a game for sad old gits with no friends and no life Hmmm, might give it a try.
Quote from Mazz4200 :So you're saying it's a game for sad old gits with no friends and no life Hmmm, might give it a try.

That is probably why I keep it on HDD and drive it once and while, but I really hope to see tintops without downforce in it some day
Quote from Shotglass :
i just watched a few of the gpc race reports and i couldnt help but notice that the drives give each other supiciously large amounts of room when overtaking
also the only really minor tap i saw in these videos resulted in a spin with the force to create the momentum comming out of nowhere
am i correct that the collision detection of nkp is actually worse than lfs' (which in itself is utter rubbish)

The collision damage model is very unforgiving. Plus the GPC races use full mode, which means you cannot reset your car. Once you bend something, that's it

As the season lasts potentially a few months, and you are usually in a team, it's become common for racers to be very cautious and to not ruin races with T1 madness or risky moves. Plus, avoidable accidents and dumb moves are punished. This actually makes for some really good races. When the skill level ramps up, the racing is highly competitive. The risk of ruining two entire weeks of preparation and intense pre-qualifying to actually make the races, makes everyone especially aware. The tension and excitement is truly palpable. It's actually really good.
Quote from deggis :That's quite small sample...

I have no idea how many Nkp licenses have been sold in total but at least it can't be less than 1000. I think it is very obvious that the current community at GPC and in rscnet covers only a minority of ALL license owners. Have you thought how many people have completely or at least temporarily forgotten the game because of the certain issues? So forgotten that they don't bother whining about it anymore on rscnet.

This is my point - because 16 people say they have a flawless nKP experience, the betatesters and developers must actually think they have a flawless experience. Which means they can shoot down accusations of it being a terrible bunch of coding with almost no redeeming features at the present time.

What they fail to forget are the hundreds and hundreds of people who can't play the software online or offline because of terrible fps issues, terrible online/join lag/ping issues. I tried playing the other day (F2000 thingy at Newbury). I was getting less than 30fps (which is the most I've EVER had), on a PC that can average over 80 in HL2 with all the HDR they use now. Somethings not right. I know it's not my PC - I've been playing games and optimising settings for years.

So Moose (and Jaap, and Stefano et al), pull your heads out of the sand and realise you DO NOT HAVE A PRODUCT, LET ALONE A GREAT ONE. It's an utter utter shambles. And it's not just the software, it's the customer support (people waiting weeks for activations at one time), developer feedback (maybe we're spoilt now, but blogs do not take much time, and Stefano used to keep us updated prior to release of his shoddy A-level coding) etc. It's way below par, and EVERYONE involved with nKP in whatever form other than customer should hang their heads in shame and do NOTHING but apologise unreservedly to anyone with problems.
I just had another go at nK, the promise of Spa was far too much, I took the FF1800 out. The first thing that hit me was the noise, it sounds like a F5000 car, which is really really silly but still better than the buzzing sound. I did a few laps the car seemed to do most things alright at a frame rate above 40 for most of the lap, but it obviously needed longer gearing and a slightly less suicidal brake bias. I went to the setup screen to change the gear ratios the final drive and gear ratios are continently located in different tabs, and then I found something really retarded, in the FF1800 you can change final drive or the first gear ratio. Now IRL the gear ratios in an LD200 are all able to be changed, what possible data did Kunos get that led him to believe they only change the first gear ratio :doh:

Once I had fought my way through the setup screen, which also doesn't believe in units, I had another go coming out of the pits in second gear I then managed to spin a FF under its own power, it just gave me no warning, the rear end didn't squirm the skid sound plays itself most of the time anyway and the FF didn't seem to tell me until it was too late. Starting off again I soon found this issue of not really knowing what the car's doing to put me off if the rear steps out you have a pretty minimal chance to save it before the car kills you.

Quote from Shotglass :
btw for something completely different

I haven't watched these race reports but it's worth remembering that IRL single seaters do get damaged very easily, they very rarely get away with wheel to wheel rubbing without bending something. This is where the single seater racing in LFS fails miserably and half the time turns into a BTCC style mess because of the fact people know there's no real punishment for barging into T1 or slamming into a wall other than loosing a bit of time.
Quote from dontsimon :This actually makes for some really good races. When the skill level ramps up, the racing is highly competitive.

judging by those reports its anything but
the drivers give each other tons of space
if anyone tries to outbrake someone the driver on the outside will go as far out as possible and drive the entire corner round the outside never pulling in for an apex
the one on the inside will usually approach the corner fully inside (not even trying to squeeze to the ouside on the entry) taking a line that is so slow that the outside driver is still there on the exit most of the time

Quote from ajp71 :I haven't watched these race reports but it's worth remembering that IRL single seaters do get damaged very easily, they very rarely get away with wheel to wheel rubbing without bending something.

the particular one i was talking about was a slight touch (not even a nudge) between the sidewall of a rear tyre with the sideplate of a front wing
if anything i would have expected the wing to be bent upwards but what actually happened was that the other car suddenly spun for no reason whatsoever
Quote from Shotglass :judging by those reports its anything but . . .

Well I raced the last two seasons and I can tell you that it is. Space is given, but it isn't because everyone is slowing down and just 'letting' each other by.
Quote from Shotglass :
if anything i would have expected the wing to be bent upwards but what actually happened was that the other car suddenly spun for no reason whatsoever

Hmm... it's hard to say without seeing it but that does sound odd, I wouldn't be surprised if you told me he had a puncture or even bent his suspension, but to just spin on the slightest contact is odd, single seaters often end up with terminal damage through contact that doesn't actually change their course very much.
The first one looks like obvious lag. The second one looks like the tire got pushed into the track and then the car was catapulted back up as a result, the lack of a reasonably accurate collision box just makes the car look silly magically suspened above the gravel when it rolls.

Disapointing to see these kind of clipping issues in car to car contact (I've never had the fps to run online). The contact with the walls isn't badly modeled, far far better than LFS
Bump!

Stefano, after ignoring all his customers for a decade or two, has decided that the sim racing world needs:

Wait for it...

A shit F1 car and BRD motion platform support!!!

Yes, you heard it here first (or second). Kunos has officially gone stark raving bonkers. He couldn't be arsed to finish his sim, so he chatted to some hillclimbers. He couldn't be bothered to finished the car or the track, so he chatted to some wheel manufactuers. He couldn't be arse to finish that, so he moved on to motion platform rubbish (which a realistic sim should automatically support, surely?). He won't bother to finish this. He won't bother to finish the track maker. He won't bother to see nKP through.

Anyway, check it out here: http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=309341
I can't believe that guy sometimes. What a prick.
I'm stunned (and not in a good way :razz

I think Tristan has covered my thoughts on this.

Where is the completed hillclimb? Where is the 1.03 patch, Why the fcuk cant he finish one thing at a time and deliver it before moving on to the next?

Anyone interested in an F1 sim that you might get to see this decade should check this out http://www.vgp3.com/main.php . There is a large article in the latest Autosimsport magazine all about it, looks very promising.

NetKar Pro [v1.3 released]
(2766 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG