The online racing simulator
Quote from Ricou :I have to say that I totally agree with Scawen here. To have to manually release handbrake would complicate things a bit, making LFS even more inaccessible to newbies.

It wouldn't be inaccessible at all. Drivers would simply have to use the brake on the starting line, just like drivers in real life have to.

Quote :Where is the realism in releasing the handbrake with a button ?

Where's the realism of having an automatic handbrake? Where's the realism of dropping the car into first gear while at redline?

I personally feel that auto-handbrake needs to be turned off completely. If you don't want your car to roll on the start line, use your brakes. That's what they're for. If you really want to use the handbrake, you can easily map it to a button or key.
Quote from Scawen :IIt would be a bit like saying you should have to change your own spark plugs with a virtual spanner controlled by the mouse, and and South City should be a full city simulation where you have to work in South City Bank or MacDowell's hamburgers to earn enough credits to buy your racing car, that kind of thing. .

Brilliant idea. Work on it ,please
Quote from ZolArT :Could not find connection 1's client info - what this? This warning is whan i try kick or ban in connection list (by admin). Also 3's and 2's

Quote from [TDRT] Spøgelset :As an admin it´s impossible to start a kick-/banvote with mouse. Guests are able to. Commands /kick XXXX /ban XXXX 0 works fine as an admin. Double-checked with another Demoserver.

Bye,
(W9 -DEMO) DanishRacingProServer :bewarespa

The Alike problem?
Please, please, please remove that handbrake in-gear feature. What's the point in having it?

Edit: Just read above this post. The suggestion of having it as a toggle would be better, but I still feel the way it was suited most people.

Other than that, keep up the good work!

Also, Scawen, you say the realism has to stop somewhere... Why? Attention to detail is so important if you really want to make a driving simulator, imho. I'll still love the game no matter what you do to it.
Quote from Chris P :Please, please, please remove that handbrake in-gear feature. What's the point in having it?

I don´t understand why u must say 3 times please because of nothing. The handbrake with a gear in changes absolutely nothing for race starts. It makes just more easy to parking in your CLC-mod. It is just a step in the right direction. And the next step is the remove of the automatically release the handbrake toggle. If this made, every player must press the handbrake button to release the handbrake and start the car. And this will be fine realistic and not impossible to handle with all used steering-items.
Quote from Ricou :Where is the realism in releasing the handbrake with a button ?

It's at least tiny little step closer to realism. LFS is a sim so it tries to go as far as possible in realism. No? Pressing one button can't be too much pain in the ass.

And what's this talk about being too unfriendly for newbies? If something like this puts off new players, don't you think maybe they're playing wrong game in the first place? LFS has always been hardcore what comes to tyre physics etc but in certain areas it has very much arcade-like features, LFS being still in alpha level can't be the explanation for everything.

I guess the devs has a goal to make LFS the most realistic sim ever. Automatic handbrake release shouldn't be part of that plan because it isn't realistic and it could be easily made more realistic without requiring too much regarding controllers (unlike manual clutch would at this point). This quite weird response from Scawen (depends though did he understand what I meant) made me think about what kind of general goals devs has regarding realism in S3.

When nKp came out, forums where full of angry people asking "why do I need to start the car". I wonder why they ask about it in the first place.

edit
Some suggestions after racing with my fellow GURUs with the W9 patch. I'm very sorry if these had been suggested in this thread before, I really don't have time to go through 300+ posts to find out. Please ignore it if they've been mentioned

1. Show each racer's weight penalties (if any) on the final race result chart
2. Have weight penalties automatically applied by server settings. (so you don't have to keep telling people how much to add if you finish at what positions)

We've absolutely loving the new weight penalty system, it makes our club racing much more exciting and enjoyable! Thanks Scawen!
I remember that many people were requesting forced cockpit view as a serverside option time and time again prior to the patch... any chance of this being included?
Quote from deggis :
I guess the devs has a goal to make LFS the most realistic sim ever. Automatic handbrake release shouldn't be part of that plan because it isn't realistic and it could be easily made more realistic without requiring too much regarding controllers ...

I recently got the new Passat with the auto-hold button, no manual handbrake at all, auto-release as the clutch bites. That's a pretty realistic step taken by VW to get closer to the real feeling of driving a simulator.
See, Scawen is so way ahead of you and the industry
Proper familiarity with the handbrake should be covered in LFS basic training. It shouldn't be that confusing, it's really just one more button. People would get it sorted fairly quickly I imagine. And the option suggestion seems best to me- that follows the logic of many of the driving functions so far. If you can choose to sit in the left or right side of the car, you should be able to choose whether or not your handbrake's controlled by you.
Something I noticed which may be more of an improvement suggestion really...on the F12 display you can still only change the fuel by 5% a time between the 5%-100% range, I know when your driving its hard to go up each percent so why not keep the 5% a time but when you want to go lower than 5% it puts it to 1%. Thats just becase I had it on 1% then mid race put it up by mistake
Talking about realisim in lfs is quiet important, no, it's the most important. After all, it's the main interest of lfs. But, come on, let's get back to the real deal of this patch and let's forget the handbrake. I think that if Scawen decided to remove the handbrake support of lfs for any kind of raisons it won't hurt me so much. I don't use handbrake

We are here to talk about racing, not talking about how realistic should be the parking break.
Quote from axus :I remember that many people were requesting forced cockpit view as a serverside option time and time again prior to the patch... any chance of this being included?

+10000
Although imho another way of implementing it would be to limit the free view camera movements so that it would impossible to move the "camera" out from the car

And to the starts with handbrake. Imho, just an option to manually disable the handbrake would be fine. Here's one way of giving the the user 2 options to choose from:
Arcade
The way it is done now. Just maybe add a tiny bit of delay to the way the handbrake comes off, making it a bit more gradual, like linearly decreasing off in 0.3 seconds. As it is a driving aid, there should be a (small) penalty for using it and the penalty would give a small reward to those who do it the right way
Realistic:
As a new races is started, the handbrake is on but gets disabled automatically as you touch any controls.

The handbrake needs to be on in the very beginning of the start (I guess) because sometimes there is lag when the restart is done and there is small delay between the end of last race and the moment when you are sitting in the grid in next race (lag at your own end). You don't want the car wonder around when you are not yet in control

Imho, worth a discussion but nothing really very important. But while at it...
Quote from Chris P :Also, Scawen, you say the realism has to stop somewhere... Why? Attention to detail is so important if you really want to make a driving simulator, imho.

relax guys it isn't a plane simulator, one must jump and be ready to go with the car not spend minutes to press buttons ,sometimes you just want to race and you are bored/tired to install even the wheel on the table ofcourse everything is important and i'd like to be included as options , the real cars are made with ergonomics that suits them and are easy to use by the drivers ,same apply and for the virtual lfs drivers the sim must suit and the computer users -we aren't inside a car- , whatever buttons you press it isn't real in front of the computer unless you have the proper hardware whice isn't available to the most people and can confuse them , can't you realize that? i think all will be done in time , physics comes first and then the buttons :P

bye.

ps. i just wanted to say that realism doesn't have to hurt us to understand that it is there and i'm not talking about the hardbrake that's a minor issue
Quote from shadow2kx :We are here to talk about racing, not talking about how realistic should be the parking break.

The problem is that the handbrake directly affects the racing. We've now got jump starts and the handbrake is, frankly, ruining the realism and immersion of it, not to mention that it gives people using autoclutch one more advantage, on top of what they already had.

Let's not forget also that eventually LFS will have to remove the autoclutch and implement stalling. Once that happens, the handbrake will have to be removed anyway. Might as well do it now since it's having a negative effect on starts.
All right, time to close the thread now.

Thanks for all the reports but this has now become an improvement suggestions thread, too much talk now about a handbrake idea that will add nothing to LFS but cause total carnage at every start on Blackwood. I've already dismissed this idea and we have had dozens more posts about it.

That's not what it is supposed to be, we have a sub-forum for improvement suggestions. So I'll close this thread and forum now, until W10.

Thanks everyone for the reports, I'll get on the case with sorting out the W9 issues.
This thread is closed

Incompatible **TEST** Patch W9
(393 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG