The online racing simulator
i dont know if was already posted here, there are too much posts here, so read every single one is hard

if you join a race when its starting (before the green light, of course) you are forced to spectate

maybe LFS thinks that the "drop on the grid thing" is the same as doing a false start and walking more than 4 meters

sorry for the bad english
Quote from banshee56 :Would it be difficult to change it so that the red light still come on at the same intervals, but they all stay on for some random amount of time (or at least one of a few different set intervals, chosen randomly)?

You mean something like this?

Quote from Scawen :Start lights time between red and green is changed each race

Quote from Motörhead V8 :i dont know if was already posted here, there are too much posts here, so read every single one is hard

That's what the search function is for.
Quote from banshee56 :
Would it be difficult to change it so that the red light still come on at the same intervals, but they all stay on for some random amount of time (or at least one of a few different set intervals, chosen randomly)?

I had the same feeling that the time from red to green is the same although I expected it to change. Or even if it changes the difference between the different timings is way too small .
Quote from Cue-Ball :In real life those drivers would not be limping back to the pits at all. Either their car would be towed off track, or they'd be taken to the hospital by helicopter. Right now you can wreck your car quite badly and still limp back to the pits. In the real world this is not an option. Not to mention the fact that many of the people nursing their cars back to the pits ruin others' races by going slowly down the track, often on the racing line. Frankly, I would rather see these people fix their car and get on with it rather than trying to drive 3/4 of a lap with two broken springs and the front tires turned opposite directions.

In addition to the new "no reset" option, we need increased suspension and engine damage. Once that is implemented, realism should take a drastic turn for the better.

If it's a beginner or pick-up race, resetting can be left turned on with the car being repaired. If it's a league or serious race resetting can be turned off and mid-race join can be turned off. We need better damage, but I think "can fix car" and "can't fix car" are enough options.

If someone does a Shift+S and then tries to wreck other racers, they get banned. Nothing about that will change with this new option.

Firstly, there are 48 connections, but not 48 racers. Big difference. Secondly, what's the problem with having to restart from the pits? In the real world you wouldn't get to restart AT ALL. Getting to restart from the pits doesn't seem so bad. If it's not a serious race either leave resetting on or don't sweat starting back from the pits since you lose nothing by not coming in first.

Check out the improvements section for some nice, long discussions about that very topic.

I must agree with Widdowmaker.. not only because hes my team mate but i think he has agood point.

If realism is the problem then shift + S needs to be removed as you say. in real life. your race will be over and not rejoining in such a manner.

as for the /clear command.. it clears the list nicely.. but as said previously people are just way to fast on that join button. a test proved this (for anybody that was there) lol.

there idealy needs to be a way that theres a delay.. possibly one of the ways suggested already could do the trick
Quote from franky500 :If realism is the problem then shift + S needs to be removed as you say. in real life. your race will be over and not rejoining in such a manner.

Can you imagine what would happen if someone rolled on the first lap of a 24 hour race or a banger race where cars are auto-repaired. Someone would not be very happy. For ease it would be best to have all 3.

/reset Arcade (Full repair), Track(As patch W) or No (Get out yourself), that way we can decide and everyone will (may) be happy
Quote from birder :Can you imagine what would happen if someone rolled on the first lap of a 24 hour race or a banger race where cars are auto-repaired. Someone would not be very happy. For ease it would be best to have all 3.

/reset Arcade (Full repair), Track(As patch W) or No (Get out yourself), that way we can decide and everyone will (may) be happy

that is exactly what i think is needed.
class balancing on demo servers?
i think, there is no reason to handicap XRT car on demo servers... because there are no other same class cars available to "balance"...

... and racers have like to be faster not slower, right? so they will be happier with a little faster slower cars than oposite
Quote from [d9] :i think, there is no reason to handicap XRT car on demo servers... because there are no other same class cars available to "balance"...

... and racers have like to be faster not slower, right? so they will be happier with a little faster slower cars than oposite

If you want faster cars, buy S2 fella.

And Mr. Scawen & Co., I wish to send you the warmest spring greetings and thankyous for a great patch to come.
Quote from tomylee :I found a little bug. I was racing with XFR and with F12 it did say that I need 1% per lap. I did put in 6% and after doing 5 laps just after crossing the finish line I did have 0.3% fuel (but it still said that I need 1% per lap).

Personally, I think we need to be shown fuel in pounds or gallons, not percentages. And we should only be shown how much fuel is in the tank, not how much is being used per lap. That is up to the driver/team to determine. It should work like it does in real life:

Put in X lbs/gal of fuel.
Drive Y number of laps.
Pit and see how many lbs/gal of fuel are left.
Y laps / X lbs/gal of fuel = Z lbs/gal of fuel needed per lap.
Quote from birder :Can you imagine what would happen if someone rolled on the first lap of a 24 hour race

They should retire like someone in real life who forgets races are more than one lap
Quote from birder :or a banger race where cars are auto-repaired.

I've not been the biggest fan of banger racing in real life, but I was under the impression that they couldn't reset either.

And all the 'best' LFS banger racing servers say 'No Resetting' in the rules. Now that can be enforced.

Name one situation in a car simulation where resetting is required that might be realistic, other than rallying where spectators can right the car on some occasions. Hopefully that part will come when/if LFS has rallying. In RallyCross I doubt spectators are allowed to come onto the track to assist, so LFS remains correct for what it simulates.

Quite frankly I think this is one of the best things ever in LFS' history, and it will change how people drive (though it might be chaos for a few days/weeks whilst people get used to the idea of not making stupid moves or over driving thinking that reset might save them.
nice changes (now i gotta see them with my own eyes )

to bad the bouncing away from barriers isnt helped yet
Quote from Motörhead V8 :maybe LFS thinks that the "drop on the grid thing" is the same as doing a false start and walking more than 4 meters

I´ve tried that extensively with reving the engine and rapidly moving the wheel to make the car jump around a little I´ve also tried shift+r on steep inclines repeatedly to see if it´s got anything to do with it. Result was I couldn´t replicate the issue that way. However it was done in SP and on my own dedi (0 lag) so I cant be 100% sure that it might not me an issue with lots of lag.

Quote from franky500 :as for the /clear command.. it clears the list nicely.. but as said previously people are just way to fast on that join button. a test proved this (for anybody that was there) lol.

But aren´t the guys who click "join race" after the clear very likely also those who will click "ok", i.e. the ones who aren´t AFK.
Quote from Cue-Ball :Personally, I think we need to be shown fuel in pounds or gallons, not percentages...

Make that liters or kg and you have a point (which has been suggested before, actually and does not really belong in this thread, either).

While I'm posting already, I might as well say a very big thank you for this great patch, which not only contains more new features than what I would have expected, it also has come a lot earlier than I would have thought. I'm impressed .

And maybe the car-resetting discussion should be moved to it's own spin-off as well ... ?

Edit: and this post belongs in the clean-up, of course.
Quote from birder : For ease it would be best to have all 3:

Good point!
As for the demo add two more please: /reset autokick /reset autoban
Could not find connection 1's client info - what this? This wrong is whan i try kick or ban in connection list (by admin). Also 3's and 2's
Quote from Shotglass :

But aren´t the guys who click "join race" after the clear very likely also those who will click "ok", i.e. the ones who aren´t AFK.

good point after the clear i must admit it did get started farely quickly. so i guess it works in some ways.
Quote from Cue-Ball :In addition to the new "no reset" option, we need increased suspension and engine damage. Once that is implemented, realism should take a drastic turn for the better.

Making suspension damage... eh let's say something like 200% more sensitive would very easy to do (in the next incomp. physics patch). I mean it doesn't need anything new to model, simply making it more sensitive to damage. At least that would stop the ridiculous ramming over the curbs. Kind of a temporary fix until damage modelling gets more complicated.
Quote from Shotglass :I´ve tried that extensively with reving the engine and rapidly moving the wheel to make the car jump around a little I´ve also tried shift+r on steep inclines repeatedly to see if it´s got anything to do with it. Result was I couldn´t replicate the issue that way. However it was done in SP and on my own dedi (0 lag) so I cant be 100% sure that it might not me an issue with lots of lag.

well, that happen on a server that has a little lag in it, i can't remember the name, but is think i was on "Dead Men Racing" running TBO@AS national

many people joined the race before it start, and all of them got "spectate"

if that happen again i'll try to save a MPR
Quote from Dygear :No, I'm saying it could be the reason for the false false starts.

Ok, my bad
hi guys,will this patch be an auto update soon??
Quote from 11SuLLy11 :hi guys,will this patch be an auto update soon??

When the bugs are worked out im sure it will be , remember its a test patch in its current state
ok thanks mate
Small suggestion:

Now that LFS is finally moving to the more realistic way regarding the starts, why the handbrake is still "automatic"? There's a good reason for clutch being still automatic but I don't see reason for this.

Would be better if it was still automatically toggled on the start like it is now but before you could go anywhere you'd need to press once the handbrake button to untoggle it manually. Same thing when the car is completely stopped & handbrake is toggled... you'd again need to manually untoggle it.

And please NO "auto handbrake on/off" options for this! If this is some kind of problem for keyboard users.. well truthfully who really cares.

edit
Hi, really great job with this test patch

BUT here are a few SPRs where you can see that if you don´t get more than 2km/h in the start line, you can advance a few metres before the green light, and no penalty is given. I tried out this only Offline and with only 5 cars, but in all of them i could advance without being detected
Attached files
TkT·ZurdoSpeed·26_BL1_LX6.spr - 140.1 KB - 186 views
TkT·ZurdoSpeed·26_BL1_UF1.spr - 76.1 KB - 188 views
TkT·ZurdoSpeed·26_BL1_FOX.spr - 37.2 KB - 195 views
Quote from banshee56 :Would it be difficult to change it so that the red light still come on at the same intervals, but they all stay on for some random amount of time (or at least one of a few different set intervals, chosen randomly)?

The delay between the last red and the green is randomised, it is not the same each time (as stated in the change log).

Quote from deggis :Small suggestion:

Now that LFS is finally moving to the more realistic way regarding the starts, why the handbrake is still "automatic"? There's a good reason for clutch being still automatic but I don't see reason for this.

Would be better if it was still automatically toggled on the start like it is now but before you could go anywhere you'd need to press once the handbrake button to untoggle it manually. Same thing when the car is completely stopped & handbrake is toggled... you'd again need to manually untoggle it.

And please NO "auto handbrake on/off" options for this! If this is some kind of problem for keyboard users.. well truthfully who really cares.

edit

Hmm, you can't be serious, do you know how many people actually have an axis handbrake? You must be one of the lucky few. Clutch and shifter has just become mainstream because of the G25 but logitech didn't throw an axis handbrake into the bundle - maybe it something for the future. I don't even know where to buy one, I have never seen one! Maybe you should go into business manufacturing them? It really doesn't make any difference, the automatic handbrake is just something that makes blackwood starts possible, instead of total mayhem.
This thread is closed

Incompatible **TEST** Patch W9
(393 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG