The online racing simulator
Quote from Shotglass :a few hours ago there were ~45 clients on frankys 500 server
dont think its all that hard to get 47 drivers on a server to film the biggest t1 crash of all times (think blues brothers)

im not an Admin on Frankies server, so you'll have to ask him, but without being harsh, his server really didnt like the load of the 35 connections and 28 racers, i reckon it would probably through a wobbly and start randomly booting people
Great patch guys.

Only snag I hit was the false start bonanza.

May have just been me, but did anyone find it more rewarding racing against 27 other drivers. T1 was as someone said on Franky's server, a lottery. Very rewarding if you made it, and it wasnt all that bad if you didnt make it because with everyone bunched up together you made back places very quickly.

I think that 48 is to many on the connection side.
Quote from Jakg :im not an Admin on Frankies server, so you'll have to ask him, but without being harsh, his server really didnt like the load of the 35 connections and 28 racers, i reckon it would probably through a wobbly and start randomly booting people

i know the point was its not that hard to get the whole forum on a server
and personally i didnt expierence any noteworthy lag on his server with 28 racers and 40-45 clients despite having bit torrent running
Quote from Shotglass :i know the point was its not that hard to get the whole forum on a server
and personally i didnt expierence any noteworthy lag on his server with 28 racers and 40-45 clients despite having bit torrent running

Why would you keep downloading stuff? You could be causing a problem for others, even if it only causes a little bit of lag it could totally mess things up
Well you don't need to have the full amount of people on the server, 500servers are just testing if it can run with that amount...and it can run without any lag at all, some peoples connections were dodgy with only 23 people so they are bound to be bad with so many more.

The only time the full amount would be useful is in the endurance races where you need to swap cars and also extra space for admins.

I've yet to have a problem with false starts, but thats probably due to me reacting to the green light rather than trying to predict it.
Ive been thinking alot about the "no space Bar ressetting option". I agree this is realistic and that there should be this option. I however see numerous reasons why there should be a middle option. The middle option being how it previously was.

Not every server is full of hardcore racers in full on, full blow league racing, not every server is demo, or introduction racing. There are those Friday night servers where racing for fun - is ruined by being rolled and having to reset, cope with the damage struggle to the pit and go out and join your mates again.

With a server with 48 people, all they are going to do - is shift+S, go back to the pits and re join the race but however many laps down - real angry and then possibly wreck some one else race, when really if you want to go the whole realism thing - they should not be able to shift+S at all - and go straight to spectate.

Because there are 48 connections, racing - some people will sit waiting to join the race for ages - then to be flipped on to your roof by an inocous, nothing of a tap - then have to restart from the pit is abit lame - when its a friday night, out for some fun.

Another reason - Rallying - on how many occasion do we see rally cars righted by the crowd? OK - in this circumstance we dont have a full rallying setup yet -but if it is to be introduced, then so should the space bar reset (I believe).

I also feel that if it is realism that we are aiming at - then why do we have multiple racing views? Why are we not locked to driving from in car only?

I do feel that the old space bar reseting should not be ruled out and that it should be left as a server side option, for the server hoster to decide.

One mans view - that could possible do with a spin off thread??
Lapper problem after W9 on dedi. demo server
Very good - no reset on space.
Very good as well - the race start.

I think I have a minor problem here. I always have had lapper running on my dedicated demo server. Before patching the cars were called XF GTI and XR GT and it now has changed to XFG and XRG. Now lappers starts to create 2 new PB databases. One for XFG and XRG. It doesn´t do anything to my old !top PB lists anymore.Noobs are running track records and other racers do a new PB which is 5 secs. of their actual !top list rankings. Pls. help me out here. I think I have to tell lapper that XF GTI is now called XFG or - second possibility -my server that XFG is to be called XF GTI ... Sorry if I´m offtopic.

DanishRacingProServer
Spøgelset,

This is an issue for monkster to sort out, please refer to the LFSLapper thread in the unofficial addons section.
Widdowmaker, I totally understand what you are saying and you have some strong points but as a personal opinion of course I'd rather unbind the reset button once and for all.

Yes, it seems harsh to shift-s if you flip over, but it adds a liitle thrill to the game not having the reset option. Plus no more popping cars in the middle of the chicanes.

And tbh I think Scawen removed that mid-option reset (reset car but no fixed damage) on purpose, as a way to discourage us from using it.
One point in favour of a 'middle option' for resetting, is that LFS's current collision dynamics leave something to be desired... having an important race ruined because you clipped the wrong section of wall or scored a lag moonflight, is going to be rather frustrating. I'm a fan of the notion of going without resets, but not until the collisions are more realistic.
Quote from felplacerad :Spøgelset,

This is an issue for monkster to sort out, please refer to the LFSLapper thread in the unofficial addons section.

Well, mayby it is. Anyways hosts upgrading to W9 with this:

DEDICATED HOST (for hosting only) :
http://www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs...S2_DEDI_W9.zip

file from post 1 of this thread might run into the same problems.

In my oppinion the server settings of this file has to be changed and not the lapper. But I´m not at all sure about it.
is it possible to have weight not only front/back but also left/right?
Quote from ebola :Im glad you posted this because I was thinking the same. It is not physically possible to react before a certain time, so anything quicker must have been a lucky guess.

I never forgot when Linford Christie was disqualified from athletics, he actually went after the gun was fired but it was not humanly possible for him to react that fast and so he was disqualified.

I don't think this is the case. In single player, after a few test runs I managed to guess and time it perfectly so I was in 1st gear as close to the green as possible, but I didn't get a penalty. So, does this mean the multiplayer jump start detection is unreliable due to lag (or other complications), or is it just that the MPR file doesn't accurately portray startline events?

Scawen, can we please get some confirmation on this matter?
Attached images
sprstart01.JPG
sprstart97.JPG
Attached files
cheat start no false.spr - 3.4 KB - 249 views
Quote from [TDRT] Spøgelset :Well, mayby it is. Anyways hosts upgrading to W9 with this:

DEDICATED HOST (for hosting only) :
http://www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs...S2_DEDI_W9.zip

file from post 1 of this thread might run into the same problems.

In my oppinion the server settings of this file has to be changed and not the lapper. But I´m not at all sure about it.

It's a lapper issue and already sorted. Download lapper version 3.8 and it's fixed.
I love you devs
More commands now work on AI drivers : /spec /pitlane /p_xxx

whats this?
By revving your car's engine (You'll notice this more in the FO8 and the BF1) your car will move from side to side, or twist on it's Z axis.

The MPR files seem to be a little bit slower. It would seem they only update at a maximum 60 times a second instead of the 100 the game engine runs at.
Quote from garph :Why would you keep downloading stuff? You could be causing a problem for others, even if it only causes a little bit of lag it could totally mess things up

i was specing

Quote from Blowtus :One point in favour of a 'middle option' for resetting, is that LFS's current collision dynamics leave something to be desired... having an important race ruined because you clipped the wrong section of wall or scored a lag moonflight, is going to be rather frustrating. I'm a fan of the notion of going without resets, but not until the collisions are more realistic.

i was going to poast that as well so +1
also lfs shouldnt lose its appeal as a pick up and play sim
Quote from Widdowmaker :Not every server is full of hardcore racers in full on, full blow league racing, not every server is demo, or introduction racing. There are those Friday night servers where racing for fun - is ruined by being rolled and having to reset, cope with the damage struggle to the pit and go out and join your mates again.

In real life those drivers would not be limping back to the pits at all. Either their car would be towed off track, or they'd be taken to the hospital by helicopter. Right now you can wreck your car quite badly and still limp back to the pits. In the real world this is not an option. Not to mention the fact that many of the people nursing their cars back to the pits ruin others' races by going slowly down the track, often on the racing line. Frankly, I would rather see these people fix their car and get on with it rather than trying to drive 3/4 of a lap with two broken springs and the front tires turned opposite directions.

In addition to the new "no reset" option, we need increased suspension and engine damage. Once that is implemented, realism should take a drastic turn for the better.

If it's a beginner or pick-up race, resetting can be left turned on with the car being repaired. If it's a league or serious race resetting can be turned off and mid-race join can be turned off. We need better damage, but I think "can fix car" and "can't fix car" are enough options.

Quote :With a server with 48 people, all they are going to do - is shift+S, go back to the pits and re join the race but however many laps down - real angry and then possibly wreck some one else race, when really if you want to go the whole realism thing - they should not be able to shift+S at all - and go straight to spectate.

If someone does a Shift+S and then tries to wreck other racers, they get banned. Nothing about that will change with this new option.

Quote :Because there are 48 connections, racing - some people will sit waiting to join the race for ages - then to be flipped on to your roof by an inocous, nothing of a tap - then have to restart from the pit is abit lame - when its a friday night, out for some fun.

Firstly, there are 48 connections, but not 48 racers. Big difference. Secondly, what's the problem with having to restart from the pits? In the real world you wouldn't get to restart AT ALL. Getting to restart from the pits doesn't seem so bad. If it's not a serious race either leave resetting on or don't sweat starting back from the pits since you lose nothing by not coming in first.

Quote :I also feel that if it is realism that we are aiming at - then why do we have multiple racing views? Why are we not locked to driving from in car only?

Check out the improvements section for some nice, long discussions about that very topic.
Quote from Dygear :By revving your car's engine (You'll notice this more in the FO8 and the BF1) your car will move from side to side, or twist on it's Z axis.

The MPR files seem to be a little bit slower. It would seem they only update at a maximum 60 times a second instead of the 100 the game engine runs at.

Hmm.... Remembers me that Dodge Charger from FnF
Quote :By revving your car's engine (You'll notice this more in the FO8 and the BF1) your car will move from side to side, or twist on it's Z axis.

Are you suggesting that this is new? It's not
Quote from XtremePsionic :Scawen, I want to kiss you

JUST KIDDING, but I love false starts

the same should be for the pit stop as well

*tomyleeisspeakingreallycalm*
Quote from GFresh :Are you suggesting that this is new? It's not

No, I'm saying it could be the reason for the false false starts.
Quote from Davo :It's a lapper issue and already sorted. Download lapper version 3.8 and it's fixed.

I now have installed version3.8 but unfortunately it doesn´t do the trick as I was running server version 0.5V only. But thanks for helping I´ll now read/ask in LFSLapper thread in the unofficial addons section.

EDIT: opening the PB.txt with notepad and changing all entries:
a) XF GTI to XFG
b) XR GT to XRG
c) XR GT TURBO to XRT

was the solution for me.
This thread is closed

Incompatible **TEST** Patch W9
(393 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG