The online racing simulator
TEST Patch U35 (obsolete)
(382 posts, closed, started )
The BF1 and FO8 defenitively need some improvement. If u ever heard a Formula 3000 or F1 from the stands you know they really scream like nothing in this earth on high revs. In U36 when spectating it almost seems like a vacum cleaner on steroids. Come on there must be something better than this for these cars.

The rest seem to be ok, still dont like much over muffled sounds, but you could say each car sounds more or less as you would expect. Would like more engine sound in all cases, but can live with this.
The FO8 and BF1 are a diff story. Hope they get fixed, cos they dont sound anything close to a real F1 or F3000.
Quote from st0rm :I guess it isnt really possible to implement it like in real life tho, since people driving the XFG would have their speakers at high level to hear their engine and then suddently a BF1 passes and you wake up everyone in the house.. But im sure there is something that could be done!

You hit the nail in the head but unfortunately it's quite impossible to achieve that kind of a dynamic range in a computer game and keep it controlled somehow. Same goes for 3D shooters: no-one (except maybe me) would have loved Rainbow Six series if the gunshots were actually blasting from your headphones with peaks going to 130 dB while you were concentrating on listening to someone's footsteps behind a door at 20-30 dBs...
Yea, but i wonder if its possible to simulate it by lowering the overall sound when a louder car pass by, kinda like flashbangs in counterstrike and games like that (overall sound dissapear and replaced by ringing in the ears sound..)
So when patch V hits, will there be any suprises included with it? Nice to be able to play with the test patches but takes the fun out of waiting for the final patch if there's nothing else to look forward to. :-)
Remember the old saying by someone who's name I forget, "You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time"

Sounds are so subjective, that one man's meat is another man's poison. For me, these sounds are good. I think Scawen KNOWS what is right and what is wrong and eventually, given his track record, all the people will be pleased.
All right, most of the people.
Quote from Doorman :Remember the old saying by someone who's name I forget, "You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time"

Sounds are so subjective, that one man's meat is another man's poison. For me, these sounds are good. I think Scawen KNOWS what is right and what is wrong and eventually, given his track record, all the people will be pleased.
All right, most of the people.

Oh, I think since the latest sound updates, that Scawen uploaoded after what was probably a 26hour day (probably 9am Thursday till 11am Friday), most comments have been pretty good. I'm glad that his hard work and dedication is finally paying off now and everything is *almost* great . I really think it was amazing of him to keep on going and release something that manages to make people happy. Really, hats off to Scawen!
i admire you dedication scawen now go take you well deserved vacation
tbh i think its still too clean but definately an improvment in the right direction (except the bf1 that sounded a lot better in i think it was u35)
I'm sorry if negative reactions are viewed as "bad feedback", but I can't believe the "wheeeeeeEEEEE, WEWEWE! (flatshift-overrev), wheeeeEEEEEE" BF1 and FO8 sounds are acceptable. They sound weaker than the U30 versions. imo.

Other than that, they sound good, FOX sounds great, there seems to be a bit more fizz and roar all round (except the BF1 and FO8s).
yeah, imo the only cars that would need a treat for version V would be FO8 and BF1. They need to be alot louder, without that bee noise..

Anyway, awesome work on the other cars Scawen, it's great
Quote from st0rm :
Formula 1 700hp = 147dB
normal road car at loudest level WOT under load i beleive is around 100dB

Well, I guarantee that that 147dB is only at bass & sub-bass frequencies. Otherwise your eardrums would probably perforate... IE, 150dB at 50Hz hurts a bit but doesn't really wreck your ears (in the short term) but 150dB of 5000Hz would be painful & damaging very quickly. High amplitude at low frequencies isn't nearly as big a deal. However, that's mostly why you can feel it in cavities in your carcass.

Quote from axus :Oh, I think since the latest sound updates, that Scawen uploaoded after what was probably a 26hour day (probably 9am Thursday till 11am Friday), most comments have been pretty good. I'm glad that his hard work and dedication is finally paying off now and everything is *almost* great . I really think it was amazing of him to keep on going and release something that manages to make people happy. Really, hats off to Scawen!

100% agree Axus. If I was Scawen, I would've probably wanted to reach out and kill all of us sometimes during this week. "Too loud, too soft, too smooth, too piercing, I got a headache, my friend got an assache, my family got an eyeache, must be the sound"
Thumbs up
The new sounds are definitely an improvement.

After the initial patch sound shock, Scawen has really improved all the sounds within a couple of days. The future looks bright indeed...

The latest sounds are the best. BF1 in-cockpit sounds might be passable (compared to TV in car shots), but it is definitely lacking thunder from the outside. Guess there might have to be a compromise on that aspect with the new system?

Traction control on BF1 is also bit too loud, preferred the original softer "tuk-a-tuk-a-tuk sound". Gear change sounds could take a bit "longer" in certain cars, and a meatier turbo wastegate would be nice. Debris could be flung against the underbody off the racing line, wala wala wala (sure it was mentioned before)

All my opinion of course, and don't get me wrong: WOW, what an improvement! Well done Scawen
Patch V is available!

You can get it from our website or just use the auto-updater in your test version!

Thank you for all your help. I will now have a holiday and I will celebrate patch V with some champagne this evening!
Thanks Scawen
Thanks for all the hard work Scawen!
Quote from LFSn00b :So the patch V... Where do i extract the files

is the sound "fixed" ?
Thanks for this. Great job!

Merry Christmas
Quote from Scawen :Patch V is available!

You can get it from our website or just use the auto-updater in your test version!

Thank you for all your help. I will now have a holiday and I will celebrate patch V with some champagne this evening!

Many thanks for all the hard work, Scawen. Very much appreciated.

Now where's my 'V' dedi?
thanks,prost and merry christmas
Thanks for your hard work and congrats for your patience and dedication! Very impressive. Happy holidays!
Thanks for all your hard work Scawen. All the best to you and yours over the holidays.
we all was toliking about that pach V and its finally out. And everyones prognose is completed. It is before chrismas.

We got new sounds for chrismas, thank you Scrawen, great work

And to all: Have a merry Chrismas
First of all: Thanks for your continuous hard work Scawen! I appreciate your efforts very much.
So, I've now tried U35 + U36 sounds myself and while some of them are "good", some are barely "okay" and there's a few I really don't like at all.
I don't want to sound ungrateful or like I was up for a rant, but I just want to give my honest (and hopefully constructive) criticism on the new sounds. I may also emphasize that this is strongly "imo" and since I've come straight from U9, I think my ears are fresh enough to be able to evaluate the new sounds critically.
Mind you, I've still been using U9 up to now and I've never had any real complaints about those sounds so far. Plenty of information, crisp skid sounds providing vital feedback to make up for missing g-forces from the car.
Now hearing the changes in the recent versions for the first time, I must say that indeed the muffling irritates my ears quite a bit. I've read through most of the thread and I've seen many people complain about the sounds being too muffled, which some say has significantly improved in U36. Can't say I agree, to me it sounds pretty much wrong and unnatural. Anyway, ultimately the only relevant comparison is before (old sound system) - after (new sounds system).
I'm now gonna write up my opinion on each of the cars I've tested:

RB4: One of the worst imo. I had the feeling that it doesn't really sound like a car engine - there's a kind of "nasal" sound to it that makes it sound almost funny. It sounds like someone trying to speak while squeezing their nose (http://www.jyi.org/articleimages/278/img0.jpg)
XRT: Basically similar in tone compared to the RB4. Not quite that annoying, but also very "nasal" and hollow sounding.
FXO: Also similar to the former two. Appears to have lost some of the grunt and character it used to have. There very nice "roar" at low revs seems to be is gone now. Also the turbo sound (~17-18 KHz "tweeting") during full throttle becomes quite annoying and fatiguing after a short period of time. (maybe I should use very bad headphones instead which aren't able to reproduce that noise )
LX4: Sounds very much like the XRT.
LX6: Much of the "raspiness" from U9 is gone. Very smooth and sine-like. Sounds okay but worse than U9 imo.
FZ5: Pretty good but a little too smooth and muffled.
FXR: One of the few I think sounds better than before. There's some nice harmonics going on and it sounds more like a car than any of the others. A little less raspy than before but overall gains a lot from the added gear whine.
FZR: Nice tone but overall too muffled. Could be improved with a little more raspiness/distortion like it used to have.
XRR: Reminds me of the XRT very much - with a little more midbass and gear whine. Sounds almost the same except for that.
BF1: Nice in a certain way and certainly closer to being realistic - but too tame and quiet. TC sound is very good, except for a little too much bass (as has been mentioned before)
FO8: I'm a bit undecided on this one. Sounds okay, but I'd say that up to 7k rpm this is how the road cars should sound. Doesn't sound too much like a high-powered single seater race car.

Conclusion: overall I feel kind of irritated by the new muffled sounds. A lot of feedback is lost compared to U9 when the skid sounds (and even scrub sounds just before the tires were about to lose grip) were clearly audible. Actually it's necessary for virtual drivers to compensate for not feeling the g-forces. One can do that by looking at the speedo and listening to the sounds (skid + engine). Both of which have been made less useful - while this may be more realistic, it doesn't really help to compensate for what's missing.

Also, it's somehow like ears lack a point of reference now - I don't feel like I'm sitting in the car, I just wanna wake up and remove the damn pillow from my ears!
Alright, I've never heard tires squealing hard from inside a real car but what's most important here is that LFS sounds good. And I'm safe to say that this doesn't sound so good to my ears.

Most of the new sounds appear to have lost character too - character that made the cars seem more different from one another. Now in U35 I almost instantly had the feeling: "ah well, this is the same synthesizer generating the sounds for all cars, just with a few small mods here and there" while before they sounded less alike.
Thanks for the good job dev

And Merry Christmas
Yay, Patch V out ! What a nice gift. Thanks Scawen and Merry Christmas
#300 - dev
This thread is closed

TEST Patch U35 (obsolete)
(382 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG