The online racing simulator
Provided that IP address is present on the machine you're running LFS on, it should bind fine; but what I was trying to say, if you only bind to that 1 address, then LFS will never respond on trying to connect to localhost, because its not listening for connections.

Anyway, the fact that the you're not getting track info could be a result of an internal firewall, or an incomplete/invalid route.

The following ports need to be open:
Incoming (listening): TCP/63392, and UDP/63392 (or whatever port you specify in the cfg file)
Outgoing: TCP/29339

Quote from c_access : P.S. sorry for my english, i'm doing my best to explain to you.

Trust me, your English is much better than my Greek!
Quote from c_access :BTW don't you guys never sleep? I am talking about this problem more than 10 hours!!!

Sleep is for the weak! I'm regularly up before 7:30am, and usually dont goto sleep until about 1 to 2am
ClientConnect: connect failed
No matter what settings i set corectly, i keep getting this message:
"ClientConnect: connect failed"

Neither a buddy of mine can his server up and running.

This is as far as i got with a LFS dedi server that says its "ON LINE" (but i think it isnt)

[ADSL Modem]----[WIFI Router] - - - - [Laptop]-[LFS DEDI U30]
[ADSL Modem]----[WIFI Router] - - - - [PC]-[LFSU30]

The server says its up and running, no red errors. Connecting to the server by entering the server name in "specific server" gives me "ClientConnect: connect failed".

LFS gone illepall

All ports are forwarded, all firewalls have been taken down, ive plugged in the laptop dirctly into the modem but then it would not "bind" with the server . (Yes i had internet working then through the cat5)

Help apreciated as im about to go apeskittles

LFS rocks though
im a bit confused with ur post maxk
are you connecting from the other PC on ur network or someone elses PC on the internet?

if its the PC on ur network, then just use the local IP of that machine that its being hosted on
Quote from MaxK :... then it would not "bind" with the server.

Have you specified the /ip setting in the server setup cfg ? In 99.9% of cases this is not necessary and afaik the only way you could make the server fail to 'bind' unless you've accidentally started several instances. Leaving this setting undefined should make the server listen on all available network interfaces.
Ill try to explain my situation a bit better.

I want to use the laptop as the server, just because its not my gaming pc It has a wifi card and a lan port.

1 For testing the Dedi i used the wifi and disabled the lan intreface in windows. Once ive configured the .cfg file as demo (and commented the ip address) it says "ON LINE" and no red messages listed.

1.5 Look like its working at this stage.

2 Now i move to my game PC which is attached also with a wifi card to the same router, i open up LFS, click on list demo servers, cant find my server. Nothing is lost yet, so lets try to use the option for a specific server. I enter the name of my server and it starts connecting, but then it says client connect: connection failed.

So lets try something else.

1 Server runs on the laptop
2 Startup LFS on the laptop while the server is running, and list demo server. I couldn't find my server listed.

3 start the game and type in the localhost ip 127.0.0.1 and it connects, but i needed to create a game accessable from the internet

Thats really odd i think. Going to try again tonight, It will work somehow

I might want to investigate what my modem actually does with forwarding ports in the firewall :S (its a sagem 3202 or better known as Wanadoo live box or orange live box)
The likely explanation is:
Your router doesn't understand what to do.
1. You connect from your gaming PC to the master server to get the list of servers.
2. Your server is within the list.
3. Your copy of LFS tries to talk to the ip address it specifies; The packet(s) get to your router and the router thinks "that ip address is on my wan port. thats for me!", then doesn't understand what to do with the packets from that point as there are no rules for it to follow. It is likely that your router is only applying the forwarding rules from the WAN to the LAN.
4. Your LFS server fails to show up in any server list within the LAN.

Connect to your LAN server using the LAN ip address. For a start unless you've got a decent router, it'll be quicker.

Second, if you run the server again, what did you call it? We'll connect to see if its running properly, and all ports are forwarded correctly. If we can connect then the issue is as above.
Hey the_angry_angel,

Thanks for your help, Im currently at work, but once i get home ill setup a server and write a post how ive connected everything exactly. Ive been wondering if certain ports in the modem are blocked no matter what. (Standard emule/Azureus ports are blocked by the ISP it seems, setting them to other values made those download programs work)

I will let you know when im home and got a server up and running. Connecting the modem directly to the laptop with the server should help i think, just hope it will 'bind' .
Quote from MaxK :Standard emule/Azureus ports are blocked by the ISP it seems, setting them to other values made those download programs work

This is likely to be the same cause, as LFS the same / similar "high" ports.
Yes, but why does the Dedi say "ON LINE"

Does it peform a talk back test to send a hello world test, send something to the LFS main server, and let the LFS main server send something towards the Dedi, on which the DEDI respond with "ok".

When a player on the internet wants to connect to a server, the player sends a request to the main server, and from there is redirected with the IP to use right?
Quote from MaxK :Does it peform a talk back test to send a hello world test, send something to the LFS main server, and let the LFS main server send something towards the Dedi, on which the DEDI respond with "ok".

I've not tested whether it does a talkback or not. As such as far as I'm aware all it tries to do is talk to the master server, if it responses and registers successfully, it displays online.
Hello Karl,

Ive got the server up, im DIRECTLY connected to the modem and ive port forwarded port 50005 to my laptop, and the server reports itself as ON LINE

the name of the game is ABCTESTABC, type : demo. ** oops its S2**

Ive ran a port scan and port 50005 is open.

Id highly appreciate to test if this game is joinable.

Kind regards,
Steven
Yup, it works fine and I'm in
Quote from the_angry_angel :Yup, it works fine and I'm in

Thank you very much!

I can get in only over the lan itself now... going to ry a different comp on the other NIC of the modem.
wo wo wooooooooooo dude STOP

u had it setup fine the first time
LFS is weird how they setup there servers, i use to run other servers like AA and Farcry myself, and i know LFS is different

In your home network you ALWAYS connect to the laptop via its local IP( ie. 192.168.1.1) to get in........and people out on the internet search through list to get logged in

The only way to test LFS's back to front server arctitecture is to get a friend on the internet to look

go to LFSworld.net and search the online servers, i garantee it was there the whole time

Note: in your own network at home u CANT search for ur own server
Quote from roo-boy :LFS is weird how they setup there servers, i use to run other servers like AA and Farcry myself, and i know LFS is different

Not entirely sure what you mean by this. Having setup online games for various games, over the years, I haven't noticed anything particularly different or arse about tit...

Quote from roo-boy :go to LFSworld.net and search the online servers, i garantee it was there the whole time

Just because its on LFS world doesn't mean its actually accessible. As far as evidence suggests, LFSworld / master server don't do any talkback test and just list what has been registered with them. Quite often a game will register, but because the listening sockets aren't contactable they won't show up in-game.

Quote from roo-boy :Note: in your own network at home u CANT search for ur own server

That depends on your network infrastructure, but in the vast majority of cases this is true. But after the amount of times I've explained it, you think I would've remembered to edit the first post by now..
is it possible for someone to start a server for you and give the details as such as password username etc ! would it still work ?
you can mail me the reply
thanks
Quote from 11SuLLy11 :is it possible for someone to start a server for you and give the details as such as password username etc ! would it still work ?

I'm not following Sully? Its possible to rent servers from people, and people can setup servers for you.... if thats what you're after?
yep exactly but do i still have to forward ports and stuff to achieve this ?
If its on your network then yes. If its not, then no.
kk thanks mate im reall noob when it comes to this kind of stuff
I know bandwidth is the main issue with a dedi server but I'm wondering if a laptop I have has enough specs to run a dedi.

It's an ancient thing that I fixed up and I only use it for web surfing and word processing but if it can handle it, it would make a nice simple server for me to throw online on occasion.

Here are the specs...please don't laugh:

AMD K6-III 531mhz
184mb RAM (can be bumped to 190 at the expense of onboard video)

It shares my internet connection which is good for about a dozen players when I run a non-dedi server with my gaming machine.

Can the laptop sustain a dedicated server? How much cpu and ram would each client eat up?
Quote from RacingSimFan :Here are the specs...please don't laugh:

AMD K6-III 531mhz
184mb RAM (can be bumped to 190 at the expense of onboard video)

It shares my internet connection which is good for about a dozen players when I run a non-dedi server with my gaming machine.

Can the laptop sustain a dedicated server? How much cpu and ram would each client eat up?

I've run the LFS dedicated server on much lower specc'ed machines - assuming the laptop isn't doing much else, that should be perfectly fine
glad to hear!

Guide: Running an LFS Server
(666 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG