The online racing simulator
hey m8 no it aint timing out and i never never ever lag someone said to me also its something to do with forwarding my ports but dont understand how to do it ??
I'm assuming your home network looks a bit like this:

Your Server / PC <-----> Router <-----> The Rest of the Internet

If so, you need to logon to your router and forward the ports from that to your server. Unfortunately this varies between each router, and each make. Check out portforward.com, or let us know which router you have and someone might beable to help.
thanks very much !!ill check it out
everyone lags...the point is how much lag...it could be 0.01-0.2 milliseconds then its not noticable...but anything above that then it becomes noticable, but again that depends on the server...the server has to beable to upload to what 23 people at once...thats 4kbps per person so thats roughly 96kbps but thats only in game...then you have to add more kbps to get them to move...which brings to around 453kbps for 20 people in game at one time, assuming they are lagging the norm of 0.01 - 0.2 milliseconds.

and it depends on if you have a true 10meg broadband connection, which is around 1 meg upload connection....then it gets complicated so it depends on your connection, port forwarding, your clients connections...

and btw it sounds like your clients are timing out..
there is no connection problems - you just havent forwarded the ports
thanks mate wow theres some computer geniuses here lol
Hey guys...you'd think this would have covered all the base by now but......anyway here's my situation:

internet
--> my router
------>PC #1

-I can host through my game have ppl join and race
-I can run the ded.server (nogfx) app. on my pc, then through the game I can find my "ded.server" and join to myself and race with others joined as well

BUT when I do this:

internet
--> my router
------>PC #1
------>PC #2

-I run the ded.server (nogfx) app. on my pc#2, I can see my server on lfsworld but not ingame from pc#1, also I can not manually enter the server name & connect...I get the ok button then it hangs (pauses like it's searching) then the ok button returns.
-windows on pc#2 has asked and has been granted access for LFS to be unblocked.

What i don't get is it's the same router & confg. and all that. My next step is to switch the slots the ethernet cables go into...pc#1 is in slot #1 / pc#2 is in slot #2...I'm wondering if the router (SMC) is physically internally wired so that slot #1 is a master.

I'm new to this networking stuff so I'm sure there's something simple I'm just missing. Any help would be great!
Quote from KSheppard :I run the ded.server (nogfx) app. on my pc#2, I can see my server on lfsworld but not ingame from pc#1

You're still port forwarding to the PC1 most likely. You'll have to change that, if you want to use PC2 as a public server.

When you're connecting to the game inside your network, just goto Multiplayer > Join Specific Game, select Local Network, and type in the local address of PC2. No need to go via the in-game list, its much faster, etc.
Dude that was fast what do you do sleep here

Quote :You're still port forwarding to the PC1 most likely. You'll have to change that, if you want to use PC2 as a public server.

So I've made a circular conflict! I'll check it out tonight (I'm at work right now )

Quote from the_angry_angel :When you're connecting to the game inside your network, just goto Multiplayer > Join Specific Game, select Local Network, and type in the local address of PC2. No need to go via the in-game list, its much faster, etc.

ya but I wanted to used that method to see if i got it working
Quote from KSheppard :Dude that was fast what do you do sleep here

Heh, its the middle of the afternoon here Yes, I'm supposed to be working... shush (actually I'm just waiting for 3:30pm so I can go and pick up my new car , its been too busy this week, so I deserve a little time to "myself" (i.e. the forums) for a few minutes )

Quote from KSheppard : So I've made a circular conflict! I'll check it out tonight (I'm at work right now )

Not quite a conflict, but it looks like you've got the gist of it. Basically you can only port forward a port/range of ports to one PC at once, and you have to port forward the relevant ports from your router to the PC hosting the server.

Quote from KSheppard :ya but I wanted to used that method to see if i got it working

Fair enough, depending on your home router it may not work though.
wait...I just re-read your post....you mean only i was experiencing the problem of not being able to connect because of the circular conflict and that someone else (not on my pc#1 or #2) would have been fine.

meaning I got it right and don't have to do anything else
hey guys!

Im running my Demo server for a couple of weeks now, running Lapper and is all going well.

Is it possible to limit the tyres that cane be used to a certain type, like "normals only"
I dont like drifters using supers coz its not an even race/drift then.

Is this a possibility?
Quote :Fair enough, depending on your home router it may not work though.

angel....you were right THANKS!
It's working just fine (after I stopped the forwarding on pc#1...thanks again)

So thanks to the angel you guys get another dedicated server to play on (info will be on my site once I lineup a few admins)
on server cant kick or ban people with a space in there name?

its either a space or the "-" hypen causing the issue

how can that be fixed?

Edit: i was using the history method of pressing "up" to get his name, manually typing it in works
Help Plz+Ty
I have a couple of question that you might be able to answer...

Download the dedicated server, using your favourite browser from http://www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs..._S2_DEDI_U.zip.DONE

Right click and select Extract to folder, or use your favourite unzipping software. Usually you can double click on the file, and follow the extract procedure. DONE

Either create a new, or copy a new setup.cfg file. I suggest copying setup.cfg, and naming it something you'll remember. Change the config as required. Take a look at the configuration sections to learn more. DONE

Start the server. I usually create a batch file containing
Code:
lfs.exe /cfg=<PATH TO CFG FILE> DONE

You can edit and use my batch file attached if you dont know how to make one. DONE

Test connecting to the server. If its on the same PC connect to the IP 127.0.0.1. Otherwise type the IP address of the remote server. If its on the same local subnet, then start the LFS client and Click "Multiplayer", then "Join Specific Game", then select local network. DONE

If you cannot connect, and you got the password (if any) correct, then you need to open the ports in your windows firewall (see the firewall section), or your LAN's firewall. If you have a LAN firewall, then talk to your sys/network admin nicely. DONE

Try connecting from outside your network (i.e. from the internet). Either get a friend to help, or ask on the forums. You'll need to remember to tell us what you called the server. DONE

Awesome it works now!

Screenshots Added
Attached images
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
a batch file as it states lets u run a "batch" of things at once

for LFS to work, not only do u need to run it, but you need to tell it what config file to use (many servers have different config files for different courses)

All you need to do is download the batch file onto ur PC, rightclick--->edit...

"lfs.exe /cfg=lfs.cfg" is what you will see, if you changed the name, just change the lfs to the name of your file.

Create a shortcut on desktop to that batch file, and just double click and your away!!, simple
okay I checked some stuff off from my previous post but now what? Its probably something really stupid right

ah I really need to wait 5 seconds :P
Attached images
now what.jpg
The first problem is a pretty big one; Your instance of LFS cannot bind to the address and port you've given it. What this means is that it cannot listen for incoming connections. This means one of the following:
1. You've told it to bind to an address that isn't available on the machine (i.e. you've filled in the /ip directive. Unless you know what you're doing, leave this blank / commented out)
2. You've got a firewall preventing you from binding to that port
3. You've told it to use a port already in use

I've listed them in the most likely order.
na I just had to wait 4 seconts to load
Quote from c_access :Dear friend i think i need some help
I need to set up a dedicated server for a LAN. I made an affort to setup it but nothing worked. Can you please give me some instructions?

The instructions are on the first page, did you follow them? Where exactyl are you having trouble?
Well it sounds like it's connecting but then disconnecting for some reason. Is the server you're setting up on the same local network as your pc?
Check the config file, or better yet post it up.
You will never beable to connect locally, using your config, because you've told LFS to only listen on 10.29.78.89. Either comment this line out, or try to connect to that IP from the machine instead of 127.0.0.1.

Unless you have multiple IP addresses, and you only want to listen on one, never configure the ip directive. This ensures that it will bind to all addresses on the machine, including localhost.

With regards to the track info not getting to another PC, its possible thats caused by a firewall.
Quote from c_access :Dear Friend thankx for your advice, but the problem is that the whole network is using different subnet masks, so the only way is to give a unique ip address to the server. How can i solve this problem? Otherwise none is gonna be able to connect to the server because of the different subnets.

I'm not entirely following you, which maybe a language thing.

Perhaps a simple network diagram might help? I'm slightly confused by the statement "the whole network is using different subnet masks". Does this mean you have a different subnet for each machine (Surely not?!!?!! That would obviously be a bit crazy, but I've seen worse), or the machine you're trying to connect from is on a different subnet (this would be an infrastructure issue, and out of the scope of this thread somewhat).

Guide: Running an LFS Server
(666 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG