The online racing simulator
20th Anniversary!
(149 posts, closed, started )
Not be be telling you guys what to do, but i would love to see some new Gravel roads/rallycross options in the game. Looks great otherwise and i hope everything goes well and we can enjoy LFS for 20 more years.
-
(Snoop.DriftEra) DELETED by Snoop.DriftEra : nvm off-topic anyway
I love airport runway.
The fact that there was nothing to do, or layout or anything, reminded me of our Portuguese Track Vasco Sameiro Circuit, which has an aerodrome inside the Circuit
It would be beautiful if I could see a fictional track inspired by her in LiveForSpeed 🤤💗😍
Attached images
JC-Group-11jpg-0102685534.jpeg
Quote from timdecnodder :Not be be telling you guys what to do, but i would love to see some new Gravel roads/rallycross options in the game. Looks great otherwise and i hope everything goes well and we can enjoy LFS for 20 more years.

Yep, a bit disappointed aswell to not see a gravel or rallyx section appearing...
Anyway, Bancroft looks like a fast track ! It will be good when seeing the possible layouts Heart
Well, PVL said it early in this thread but it is exactly what I'm feeling. LfS is the game of my life.
So many hours of fun, racing and talks to other racers...
I'm really looking forward to the big updates. I hope that many other racers come back then and start the next years of racing fun.

Happy Birthday!!!
#109 - col
20 years of awesome! Thanks Scawen, Eric and Victor
Please make ground cover sections, cross autocross location. Lacks autocross and rallycross. You are the first to make rallycross the best! Blackwood best rally cross!!!
Happy birthday LFS!

Hope to see the project evolve for another 20 years, if not more! Smile The screenshots look great, can't wait to experience the new graphics (especially the day/night cycle) on all the upgraded tracks and the new tyre physics. The experiments (1000 Hz and multithreading) are some long-requested features and those could really be advantageous for the future - not sure how tied up these experiments are with the newly developed tyre physics/graphics systems, if they could be released separately, after the new tyre physics/graphics systems are out.

(sorry for the longer post, reflecting on a previously mentioned topic: )

Quote from Scawen :I'd be interested to read a more detailed description of this [edit: Gábor's (Viperakecske) sector timing] request.

I'd like to post a by-no-means comprehensive, but exact overview of what hugely racing-focused features there are in the server-sided Airio and the client-sided LFSLazy that we use in online racing daily and actually miss, when one of these applications are not functioning (while Airio works fine these days, except handling mods names weirdly, Lazy has not been working since LFS version 0.7A). I saw some posts here already tried to explain the missing "sector timing" feature, but there is a lot more to it. Of course, this doesn't want to become an "improvement suggestions"- or a "demands"-type list, but since it was requested, I think it would help a lot to shed some light on these features, describing what is there in these software (without having to fire up both and start exploring what racers miss from native LFS).
  • Server best, race session-based SECTOR times tracking (and database)
    [server-sided feature in Airio | commands: !sc, !sc 1/2/3/4]
    !sc (combined race tb's, using best individual sector times): https://i.imgur.com/5lSdh75.png
    !sc 2 (best sector times for sector 1/2/3/4): https://i.imgur.com/liif5aE.png
    • I'll start with the already mentioned feature. Airio (on the server-side) tracks all individual sector times (that is, time spent between split checkpoints, for example Sector 3 is the time spent between split lines 2 and 3), for all racers, within the current quali or race session. These sector times are accessible with the !sc commands, which compiles a list of the theoretical best laps for each racer on track, consisting of their best sector times in each sector (with these best sector times visible). Also accessible with !sc 1/2/3/4 for only specific sectors. These both help racers discover and pinpoint a sector by looking at others' sector times, which could be improved by them ("oh, there is still time in sector 2, I gotta watch someone faster do sc2 and learn from them"). Important, these commands only work with the current race session, and are nulled after a session ends.
  • Server best, race session-based SPLIT times tracking (and database)
    [server-sided feature in Airio | commands: !sp 1/2/3/4]
    • Basically the same as the previous, just with split times. This gives less of a spatial reference of the potential improvements towards the ends of the lap, but is still popular to check and analyze in racing. Same as before, only race session-based, nulls after sessions ends.
  • Server best recorded laptimes list tracking (and database)
    [server-sided feature in Airio | commands: !top (current combo); !top xfg (other car, current track)]
    !top (AA Blackwood GTi, and since XFG and XRG are the current allowed cars, list consists of both cars' times): https://i.imgur.com/B2nhiY5.png
    • This is a global, permanent database tracked by Airio and stored on the specific server, populated with finished laptimes (completed laps) and the split times in that lap. Now, since we have LFSW, there is potential to track all laptimes done online, and make servers automatically upload all laptimes like it does PBs and populate global lists for combos. This does seem like a lot of data to process and store, also, it needs to stay easily and quickly browsable, especially from within LFS. Currently, like all of the server-sided features listed here, the data is stored on the server, within Airio's database files, and it does make sense to keep it this way (so all servers keep their own databases of times/sectors etc.).
  • Server best Theoretical laptimes tracking (and database)
    [server-sided feature in Airio | commands: !tb (current combo); !tb xfg (other car, current track)]
    !tb: https://i.imgur.com/pNrIZfR.png
    • Since best sector times are stored while the cars do their laps, these sector times are also used to compile a list of server-specific theoretical best laptimes. This !tb list is permanent on the server (not race session specific), so if someone did a great sector 2 half a year ago, it still has a footprint in this list and the sector time can be seen. Also, if someone practiced a lot on the server, put together three awesome sectors but in separate laps, they will top this !tb list, but not !top. For a racer, it is quite encouraging seeing the "potential" exploited not only by others, but by themselves, too ("I did a great sc2 and sc3, I just need to sort out my sc1, cause the potential is there in me to do a good lap").
  • Highest speeds in race
    [server-sided feature in Airio | commands: !sd, !speed]
    !sd: https://i.imgur.com/9Z6Pr1L.png
    • Lists the highest speeds individual drivers achieved in current race. As I understand it (see picture), Airio measures speed at 2 places (this was BL1, I guess at split 1 and 2), and averages them to build up the list. In practice, it could be measured at speedtraps only, or only the highest speeds achieved any time. Matter of discussion how its calculated, but some speed-relevant tracking is useful: "all others have much higher top speeds, maybe I should lower downforce on my car setup?".
  • Real-time differences relative to cars around (either by current race position or absolute track position)
    [client-sided on-screen widget in LFSLazy]
    Lazy widget in-action: https://i.imgur.com/cQMOs7I.mp4
    • LFSLazy has a position list widget, with real-time differences shown (with hundredth precision). It shows 4 players ahead and behind you. Of course, diff is already shown in LFS in the lower-right corner next to the position list, but that only displays differences calculated at the split checkpoints, and is not visible at all times. Also, that list disappears when having the F9 tyre temp overlay open (which I'm sure 90% of racers has open while racing - that is the default, go-to info overlay). Upgrading the existing LFS position list to have real-time diff info at all times would be great, but only if it can be visible while also having the F9 overlay open.
  • Real-time delta, speed compared to personal best lap
    • Lazy records PB's locally, but somehow (I guess) it must store spatial data with those time and speed measurements during a lap. It has 2 widgets, which, using these data, shows real-time time delta (with thousandth precision (?) ), and also a speed delta (with hundredth precision) compared to the personal best lap done in the past (faster as green, slower as red). These can easily indicate a turn done great or poorly, or a braking point missed or done early.
  • Predicted next split time
    • Based on and using the data mentioned in the delta feature, it can show a predicted next split time, given you do everything the same as your personal best lap recorded. I'm not entirely sure about the methodology it uses behind the scenes, but it works great and is useful during a race, just to see and get a glance of your current pace, compared to your own best.
    The last three LFSLazy features can be seen in-action in any of my onboard livestreams, for example: https://youtu.be/riOnLRULzR4?t=5429 . Notice the position list on the left, and the speed/time diffs, pb time and split predict widgets of LFSLazy at the top, lower row of the two. (the upper row is displayed by Airio server-sided, and it basically is the same information, but only updates upon reaching splits)

Not race timing related:

• Engine damage, clutch slip quantified
    • Lazy can (with or without some memory-tinckering) read the current engine damage %, which affects the race pace of course. Also can read the current clutch slip %. Not high on the priority list, but still, would be great to see these values someway.
Most of the server-sided, timing related stuff is also echoed in the server chat, for example when you do a Best sector 1, a Great split 2 in the current race, or do a server-best lap (kind of like the message from LFSW upon a PB). Not of the utmost importance, but it's great info to have when you are in the middle of the race and want to have some info of your competitors' paces.

Since these features and their potential deployment vary greatly in terms of server- and client-sidedness and complexity (given if they are integrated in LFSW in some way, they would require more work), there isn't a "kill two birds with one stone"-like solution, of course. Since there is lots of data to be tracked and shown, I imagine it could get quite complex quite quickly. However, if these features would slowly start trickling into LFS natively without having to rely on 3rd-party software and their constant maintenance by a single person (who might or might not be reachable), I'm sure the racing scene would be very thankful in general! Smile

Looking forward to any upcoming news of the development progress, even if technical!
Yes! This is what i'd like to see in Live For Speed The Online Racing Simulator!
-
(pajkul) DELETED by Flame CZE : Meaningless post
Fully agree with Mandula, lfs does indeed need this.
I could agree that there wasn't much demand of these features before as the community trusted lazy, and other programs for such things, but I think it would be a shame to have a racing sim with nice graphics, physics and a quite outdated time related system.

If those suggestions really get implemented in the future, i also want you to consider more usage of a gui for these, commands are still useful but when you start to add all this information, a player shouldn't lose too much time to remember all the commands, should start to be more intuitive with a few clicks.
Of course i'm no programmer or gui designer or whatever, but i think there's plenty of examples in the racing sim world that you would be able to understand how the system could look and behave. Also, don't forget about lfs world Smile
Happy birthday! It brings memory.
Thanks for the great update. SO looks fantastic! Keep up the good work team!
Cool for the real mod TimNc!
Thanks for the screenshots coñparison dDegats! It shows very well the gap! Cant wait to race at dusk!
Quote from Dygear :You can do that with PRISM, it's free and open source. I'm pretty sure it comes with the Timing and Scoring plugin I made for SimFIA.

Third party program yes.

We wanna see all of these ingame whitout downloading stuff or adding programs to server like airio
Quote from MandulAA :Since these features and their potential deployment vary greatly in terms of server- and client-sidedness and complexity (given if they are integrated in LFSW in some way, they would require more work), there isn't a "kill two birds with one stone"-like solution, of course. Since there is lots of data to be tracked and shown, I imagine it could get quite complex quite quickly. However, if these features would slowly start trickling into LFS natively without having to rely on 3rd-party software and their constant maintenance by a single person (who might or might not be reachable), I'm sure the racing scene would be very thankful in general! Smile

Looking forward to any upcoming news of the development progress, even if technical!

I absolutely agree with Mandula, I have used both insims for years and my motivation for racing (and especially practising) relies solely upon LFSLazy. I have to add to this wonderful list Car radar on-screen widget feature, which shows the cars nearby you. This helps us prevent collisions, and I use it especially when I am doing drafting on oval. One handy on-screen widget is fuel amount, and the amount of laps left calculated based on fuel consumption.

As you might have noticed, all (FM) servers are still using version 0.7A, just because it is the latest version that works with LFSLazy. This shows how needed these features are in the sim.

So please, consider adding all LFSLazy features as standard into LFS. That will really make LFS more populated and us racing, motivated.

You can scroll down my recent posts about these features.
I fully agree too,even though i dont use LFSLazy,but the engine damage and live delta is very helpful.

Some people mention Radar,i think most useless thing because you have eyes and ears to know where the other car is Tongue
The only thing I noticed is the lack of buildings windows emissions at night, I hope it's feasible with the next graphics system.
Looks promising... Top Speed test area...no more layouts required in order to make one.. I hope.
Looking good! Can't wait to try out all the updated tracks!
Very excited. South City looks incredible and the airfield circuit looks like it'll be a draft festival. Like old Westhill but even crazier, maybe.
Quote from Rappa Z :Very excited. South City looks incredible and the airfield circuit looks like it'll be a draft festival. Like old Westhill but even crazier, maybe.

Everything looks perfect, and this is what I am most excited about. Still hope to have old Westhill back, no matter if it's original with low graphics. And 3rd oval Tongue

I hope that with all the updates, we would have several official layouts, while there are so many options available.

Keep up the good work!
yeah that's very nice, 20 years and still the best sim ever
Yes, LFS is still great as well as community in it. Tongue LFS
This thread is closed

20th Anniversary!
(149 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG