The online racing simulator
No, but I think you can set it up using layouts.
Quote from THE WIZARD DK :especially armcos are dreadful to look at ingame. my mip sliders are fully right and that does ALOT to the image.

I knew about this MIPS setting already, I just find it odd that if I switch from GPU on the same machine, keeping the same LFS settings... The "superior" Nvidia outputs a worse image while the device driver has everything for LFS being set on "application controlled". This shimmering has no relation to this patch, although its an high annoyance, it's always been there throughout the years. I expect the upcoming big update has some positive effect on this as well.

I was just surprised to see how busy the CPU is with "Draw" in case a GPU is used which cannot cope with the demand and this gets totally "fixed" when switching to a better performing GPU. Or further limiting (100->60) the FPS what I've just learned. I was assuming graphics chips by default almost offloads any CPU of everything related to graphics but apparently you can still overload the CPU as ignorant computer user with incorrect graphics settings. Only thing I know from other games/sims is that FXAA is done by CPU. But LFS doesnt have a FXAA setting.
Yes we can set it up...
But no racing line men
Sorry for not being there in 2015
Quote from Viperakecske :Sorry for not being there in 2015

Too youngRazz
Anyway the reverse config are clearly always very interesting...that's lifeShrug
yes
Quote :In Graphics or Misc options (in-game) click car icon then 'P'
You can now see CPU usage for Physics, Draw, Prediction, etc.

not trying to delay this patch release but I am wondering if this feature could fairly easily be extended by showing GPU load percentage as well? I am not into C++ programming at all but there is something called D3DKMT_QUERYSTATISTICS_PROCESS_NODE being used in for example a tool called "process hacker" ( https://github.com/processhacker/processhacker/blob/master/plugins/ExtendedTools/gpumon.c )

seems to work pretty reliable. The reason I ask this is, is that it maybe also helps debugging any performance problems in development during the other ongoing bigger patch development?

What about a keyboard shortcut to toggle this debug overlay? Maybe I put too much importance in this feature but I am quite convinced it helps people to improve their driving experience.
Another little side-quest:

Would it be possible to add the lfs-timestamp and the siren-state of a car to the input structure of the cars' fragment shader? That would allow us to create some awesome strobe light effects Wink
A note about rallycross tires (on FXR for instance) : it seems IRL the tires are not that wide at all (like 245mm wide) ... with U23, this is the minimum size ...

Maybe with the new tire physics, wider tires will perform less on gravel and the stuff will normalize, but otherwise, considering less width for Rx tires may be the way to go ... Shrug
But the video shows small GTR style cars on gravel. Selection of tires @LFS is ranging from 165-215 already? Rallycross in the big GTR class is a funny bonus but not a real life situation or am I missing a competition?
the small GTR of the video are having engines producing ~600hp with a weight of about 1200kg ... so it should match the FXR which is having almost 500hp and almost 1200kg
Hopefully, this is something simple/quick:

For various reasons, I want to sort a collection of data from RES packets without being able to trust the ResultNum field*.
This is mostly fine, however when I need to tiebreak identical lap times, I thought I could use the TTime value, but it's always zero during quali.

Would it be possible to set TTime to the session time when the lap was completed, or is there a technical reason why it can't be?

If it's too complicated for a quick fix, I'll have a look at changing the way I'm doing this.

*e.g. the cached value is wrong if capturing them live and someone later beats the time

p.s. While testing I remembered this bug https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/94503 as it's basically guaranteed to happen during quali if manually requesting a batch of RES packets a while into the session.
Hi scawen, would there be any leverage in the amount of smoke produced from the tires, would be nice to see a thicker and larger trail of smoke that would look a little more realistic, I know you probably would like a balance for performance reasons, but if you could even look at this I would be grateful. thanks.

edit: The length of the current smoke is fine but seems a bit thin
Quote from ELDemon :Hi scawen, would there be any leverage in the amount of smoke produced from the tires, would be nice to see a thicker and larger trail of smoke that would look a little more realistic, I know you probably would like a balance for performance reasons, but if you could even look at this I would be grateful. thanks.

edit: The length of the current smoke is fine but seems a bit thin

The smoke gen is changing in the new tyre physics, see https://www.lfs.net/report-dec2009
In the meantime, drop this little beauty into your LFS/data/dds folder for a thicker smoke that's not too thick. Or there's a few more versions out there too, now you know which filename to search for Wink
Attached files
DUST_ALP.dds - 85.5 KB - 155 views
Scawen is there anything we can do about steering lock and steering degrees? When set to 45 degrees max steer lock steering turns now to 900. Now when set to anything past that the vehicle steering wheel can not be matched to racing wheel. I have Thrustmaster T300 turns to 1080 and when max steer lock is set to 60 the in car game wheel turns to around 1360. No way to properly match wheel. I put it at 50 degrees steer lock and that is like 1013 degrees in at wheel, but it’s more than that also. It gets confusing and sometimes the last 180 degrees the wheels turn very rapidly trying to match my inputs on wheel to the in game wheel.
Quote from martin18 :Scawen is there anything we can do about steering lock and steering degrees? When set to 45 degrees max steer lock steering turns now to 900. Now when set to anything past that the vehicle steering wheel can not be matched to racing wheel.

Yes, I have noticed that bug. If you increase the maximum lock, at the point you reach "Car's steering wheel turns 1080 degrees" then everything is OK. The bug comes when you continue to increase the steering lock past that point, the screen display still says 1080 degrees but the in-game wheel turns further. I've fixed that in my version and I'm also updating the steering animations to keep going up to the new limits.

I plan to release another patch that is compatible with the current test patch, hopefully on Wednesday. Nothing very exciting in it but a few fixes.
Quote from Degats :The smoke gen is changing in the new tyre physics, see https://www.lfs.net/report-dec2009

Ahh, must have missed this aside from the picture there are no obvious specifics to smoke itself unless I'm mistaken.

Quote from Racon :In the meantime, drop this little beauty into your LFS/data/dds folder for a thicker smoke that's not too thick. Or there's a few more versions out there too, now you know which filename to search for Wink

thanks for that, although it seems to be similar to the one I already had, looking for slightly more volume, I remember before you could do it with tools for client-side only but it seems they are not functional or updated anymore. Oh well, will see what the future brings, was looking for something like my profile picture or close to it, thanks anyways.
-
(UniValvePlums) DELETED by Scawen : off topic
OK, the test patch won't be today. I've updated all the steering animations and set all the road cars to have 900 degrees of steering wheel rotation with the default steering lock. There are a few more things to do, so hopefully a test patch tomorrow.
-
(MacedoSTI) DELETED by Scawen : off topic
Quote from Scawen :OK, the test patch won't be today. I've updated all the steering animations and set all the road cars to have 900 degrees of steering wheel rotation with the default steering lock. There are a few more things to do, so hopefully a test patch tomorrow.

Don't worry we ready when you ready Thumbs up
Test Patch U24 is now available with updated steering animations and new steering wheel rotation limits. Road cars now have 900 degrees steering wheel turn instead of 720. XF and UF GTR now have 540 degrees instead of 720. The new values are more realistic. This may affect the feeling of the cars if you use a wheel.

Steering:

Road cars now have 900 degrees steering range with default setup
XF and UF GTR have 540 degrees steering range with default setup
Updated and fixed steering animations to cover new steering range
Removed option "Move view with animation" which had little effect
FIX for new bug: Steering wheel could turn too far with some setups
FIX for new bug: Switching setups while driver visible could crash

InSim:

IS_RES: TTime in qualifying now indicates time in session
IS_RES: PLID is now zero if the player has left the race

Misc:

Blocked messages remain blocked when returning from game to lobby
Command /block [0/1/2] : block user messages (like the minus key)

Translations:

More updated translations. Thank you very much, translators.

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/95016
-
(Scawen) DELETED by Scawen : posted by mistake
-
(Scawen) DELETED by Scawen : wrong place
Quote from Degats :Would it be possible to set TTime to the session time when the lap was completed, or is there a technical reason why it can't be?

You should find the TTime in IS_RES now has the qualifying session time. Please let me know if it looks right. I did a quick test with the IS_RES appearing live and when requested with TINY_RES.
Can this line be added to the translations? Or is the message only for debugging purposes and should not be there?
Attached images
translation.jpg
-
(tankslacno) DELETED by tankslacno : Posted accidentally too early
This thread is closed

Test Patch U25: Multiplayer Updates
(352 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG