The online racing simulator
Currently in my version the XRR tyres can go down to 255mm section width.

That is 7 notches down from the new default alternative config tyre width of 325.

There is a reason not to exceed 7 notches, so I'd prefer not to exceed 7 notches if possible.

I half expect that now that I've expressed a limit, the most important thing in the world will become 245mm width tyres.
Quote from Scawen :..

I half expect that now that I've expressed a limit, the most important thing in the world will become 245mm width tyres.

Lol šŸ¤£
Quote from Scawen :I half expect that now that I've expressed a limit, the most important thing in the world will become 245mm width tyres.

Nod Taped Shut

On that general theme, I saw a suggestion today in discord that a minimum clutch time be set that matches the auto-clutch time. I don't know about that kind of thing so I can't tell if it's a good idea or not, but if it is a reasonable suggestion and do-able, I may never have to listen to the button clutch argument ever again. On that basis I thought it was worth a mention Thumbs up
Quote from Scawen :Currently in my version the XRR tyres can go down to 255mm section width.

That is 7 notches down from the new default alternative config tyre width of 325.

There is a reason not to exceed 7 notches, so I'd prefer not to exceed 7 notches if possible.

Haha nah thatā€™s ok you right

I forgot you are trying to merge it into 1 configuration you said, 7 is more than plenty. I just thought you would skip some tires, but thatā€™s not the case

No matter what we say I donā€™t think 245 in GTR cars is needed
Are you going to include the currently used tyre widths in an InSim packet so it can be enforceable?
Quote from Racon :I saw a suggestion today in discord that a minimum clutch time be set that matches the auto-clutch time.

It does seem reasonable except that I think implementing a rate limit would invalidate nearly all existing hotlaps. I don't think that's really worth it at the moment when physics are still compatible. I realise some people would disagree with that.

Quote from martin18 :No matter what we say I donā€™t think 245 in GTR cars is needed

Probably is enough but there is one valid point to make. The Formula D limit for 2400 kg cars is 245mm.

So I have just decided to allow it up to 8 notches. Then at least the XR can have tyres down to 245 to comply with Formula D rules. Maybe no-one will use it but at least there can be no cause for complaint.

The FZR also gets the same 8 notches at the moment.

The FZR starting point in alternative config is 295 front and 355 rear. Going down 80mm from there results in a minimum width of of 215 front and 275 rear (front and rear are separately adjustable). This doesn't comply with Formula D rules. I'm guessing that isn't a problem, but do let me know if it would be worth allowing the FZR to go all the way down to 245.

Quote from Flame CZE :Are you going to include the currently used tyre widths in an InSim packet so it can be enforceable?

Yes, I'll add a tyre width field in the IS_NPL packet.
Quote from Scawen :Yes, I'll add a tyre width field in the IS_NPL packet.

I just realised the tyre width isn't readily available to LFS at the point when IS_NPL packets are filled in, because the car is not loaded at that point. I'd probably have to construct a table of tyre widths for every car but that kind of thing becomes a maintenance issue.

The setup information is available at that point so it would be very easy for InSim to output "tyre width reduction notches". Is this OK for InSim enforcement purposes?
And I agree with you 100% give people what they want but also stay within reason of some Thing realistic.

My point always has been LFS tire model does not replicate real life characteristics for drifting thatā€™s why I always thought 10 to 20 mm tires would match it more. If you watch professional Drifters YouTube videos they always say Use a wider tire because it will last longer and you have more variety in grip levels. They even talk about running a 265 on a 250 hp car, but turn up the air pressure so It can slide easier. You donā€™t want to under power the tires, but you want that longevity.

Also yes I think Insim should have tire width enforcements. Makes the playing field more level. We will need weeks of testing though to find that right configuration for eligibility on servers depending on type of server.
Quote from Scawen :I just realised the tyre width isn't readily available to LFS at the point when IS_NPL packets are filled in, because the car is not loaded at that point. I'd probably have to construct a table of tyre widths for every car but that kind of thing becomes a maintenance issue.

The setup information is available at that point so it would be very easy for InSim to output "tyre width reduction notches". Is this OK for InSim enforcement purposes?

I think that should be good enough, yes.
Would it be possile to make the tire size and configuration of the car be shown in the F11 or F12 menu for other drivers? It would make managing small events on servers that have no insim plugins much easier.
Quote from Laoz :Would it be possile to make the tire size and configuration of the car be shown in the F11 or F12 menu for other drivers? It would make managing small events on servers that have no insim plugins much easier.

Yes, I've put that in F12. When a GTR alternative configuration is selected then the tyre dimensions are shown.

By the way, I have added alternative config for XFR and UFR as well so it's consistent.

Each tyre in alternative config can go down to around 75% of the original width. That is 245mm for XR GTR and 165mm for UFR / XFR.
Quote from Scawen :Yes, I've put that in F12. When a GTR alternative configuration is selected then the tyre dimensions are shown.

By the way, I have added alternative config for XFR and UFR as well so it's consistent.

Each tyre in alternative config can go down to around 75% of the original width. That is 245mm for XR GTR and 165mm for UFR / XFR.

Awesome! What are you thinking for offset/track width?
Offset is not separately adjustable.

When you select the alternative configuration, on a big GTR the tyre width is reduced by a small amount (10mm on FXR and XRR) with offset and track unaffected.

From that point on, every time you reduce the tyre width by a 10mm notch, the offset is increased by 5mm (therefore track width increases by 10mm).
Ohh ok excited to test this out soon
U23:

Changes to the alternate configuration system:

Configuration ALTERNATE is available for all GTR cars
Alternate must be selected to allow expanded range of tyres
In alternate configuration you can select tyre section width
Maximum allowed "Maximum Lock" increases with narrower wheels
When alternative config is selected F12 display shows tyre size

Misc:

FIX: Wrong warning "Road tyres on rallycross track" in hotlapping

Translations:

More updated translations. Thanks again, translators.

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/95016
Sounds good šŸ‘šŸ». Will test this this weekend šŸ˜‡
Can you fix virtual steering wheel lock pls, since if you choose Alternate config, and gonna raise maximum steering lock, virtual steering wheel lock increase too. As Mouse user i can say, when you drifting, too big virtual steering wheel lock disorient me, especially when you move it from lock to lock.
Quote from nexttime : What percentage of LFS users care about this?

Apparently you do, 10+ years of demo user. Bit strange. All this talk about this patch doesn't affect demo so whats your problem?

Finally a bit of experimentation. Should be embraced.
Quote from Scawen :U23:

Thanks again for the updates, I saw you mention the rear tires of the XRG (reducing them)

Are we able to reexplore some of the topics mentioned in this thread sometime after the main updates are out of the way?

You mentioned for example not being able to change to physics of the objects themselves in this update. (of course not ruling out future possibilities)

Just hoping you can keep some of these things in the back of your mind for future considerations when you have available time.
Scawen make this tyre and wheel ajustment size in all cars "free" to put any value
it will be more easy to make ajustments, i know wheel size and tyres increase weight on car, so this will be better for some setups
Quote from MacedoSTI :Scawen make this tyre and wheel ajustment size in all cars "free" to put any value
it will be more easy to make ajustments, i know wheel size and tyres increase weight on car, so this will be better for some setups

Easy whatā€¦? This will make people test from different wheel size to different rim size, which is ā€œfreeā€ to free change values but it requires loooooong time of experiment to know what tyre fits who. Too complicated.
Hello, I am reading this for a while now. As it seems we get closer to the release date I think its

time to ask for something before it will be to late. Is it possible to give all the cars that are on

slicks the access to all the tyres that are used by roadcars ? No further adjustments needed, just be

allowed to use them. I built some nice trails and there are some gras / offroadparts included on

Westhill. Those are very hard if not impossible to do in open wheelers with slicks. Thanks in advance

for whatever will be released finally, P V L.
Quote from P V L :Hello, I am reading this for a while now. As it seems we get closer to the release date I think its

time to ask for something before it will be to late. Is it possible to give all the cars that are on

slicks the access to all the tyres that are used by roadcars ? No further adjustments needed, just be

allowed to use them. I built some nice trails and there are some gras / offroadparts included on

Westhill. Those are very hard if not impossible to do in open wheelers with slicks. Thanks in advance

for whatever will be released finally, P V L.

"Single seater racing cars can now use ROAD_SUPER tyres"
Sounds like a nice update. Would be nice if we had a server to test it on.

I find it a bit confusing that the tire width selector is changing front and rear for the FXR. The FZR and XRR do have it separated. I can imagine the FXR can have different widths if you have a RWD biased setup or whatever?
Quote from michal 1279 :"Single seater racing cars can now use ROAD_SUPER tyres"

I read that but would like to have them all, including hybrids. Nod Smile

Quote from P V L :I built some nice trails and there are some gras / offroadparts

This thread is closed

Test Patch U25: Multiplayer Updates
(352 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG