The online racing simulator
October Progress Report
(394 posts, closed, started , go to first unread)
Looking great. My drift touge will be sick at the night. I'm sure.

Quote from mbutcher : digi-flags (I think Blackwood is the only track to have them at the moment)

Yes exactly, this was discussed before so I only mentioned it as a reminder. It seems that work on lighting currently is on top of the list so might be handy to address this in the process. I forgot to suggest; for racing its also important to have mobile units because of the historically very popular open layout racing.

Quote from valiugera :My touge will be sick at the night. I'm sure.

not sure what this means.. Bulgarian saying maybe? Mobile floodlights is also an idea ye.. In case a dark spot is missed. Why not Smile
Quote from cargame.nl :not sure what this means.. Bulgarian saying maybe? Mobile floodlights is also an idea ye.. In case a dark spot is missed. Why not Smile

Okey i was sure need to add more info and pics maybe. I made before drift touge (this on the pic) and it will be very nice to can slide between dark and light zones. On the pics of the report i saw there is no floodlights arround this small road:

Also your idea for mobile floodlights is very nice.
Thanks for the progress report.
All I can think is having a laugh.
damn give us something new to try..
It is very cool to see the amount of work that has gone into your work so far, really amazing that you are dedicating your time to get those little details done. I know great achievements take a lot of time but damn I wish there were like more guys in the team so you could get stuff done way quicker. Still tho, looks very impressive and definitely up-to-date.
Looking great, although the last part of the transition to dark looks a little abrupt? Or is it just me? The part before it goes to pitch black feels unnatural for some reason. And also not sure if it really gets THAT dark? Also the flood lights turn on, but they seem to fade on at the very last part of the cycle?

But great work, I'm curious how South City looks in the dark with all the lights turned on! I hope to see some great reflections.
Im interested to see how some layouts look on night lights. And as one guy already asked is there a possibility to make atleast servers a bit bigger? To let guys spectate races when there is full 40 cars grid. Even 5 additional server spots would be great (well additional grid slots would be even better). Because now we have GTI and FOX leagues that make full grid and its not enough space in server to spectate/race.
I think FBM was packed also - or close to it?
God bless
Quote from Pathseeker :Im interested to see how some layouts look on night lights. And as one guy already asked is there a possibility to make atleast servers a bit bigger? To let guys spectate races when there is full 40 cars grid. Even 5 additional server spots would be great (well additional grid slots would be even better). Because now we have GTI and FOX leagues that make full grid and its not enough space in server to spectate/race.

layouts and 40 slots with a demo ? in the time it was needed to have at least an S1 licence for that Big Eye
I'm still wondering how many tracks have to be done Wink
Quote from cargame.nl :Yes exactly, this was discussed before so I only mentioned it as a reminder. It seems that work on lighting currently is on top of the list so might be handy to address this in the process.

i think it will be a easy thing for scawen to implement digiflags working .
however the lightning is a different matter. and we all know scawen wants to make it perfect as possible . i think hes fully aware the digiflags should work at some point in time. maybe why they came to be in the first place. however. trafficlights working with insim, does not seem to be recorded on replays, or some atleast. im not sure why that is, but maybe you could tell me that as it seems i never really got a answer to that? because i do know you know some stuff about these things.

floodlights:
forexample in forest areas like behind blw industrial, should maybe not have any at all.
you dont really see lamp post in forests or far away places from a city or track as such.
it would be cool to have places completely dark as i also once described i tried to do with Night mod.
and if some time in the future scawen (hence my former post) wants to add starlit nights this could infact be higly beautiful from a dark forest road, still giving you some light or moonlight.
i got a feeling scawen has more in thought but for now tries to make it work perfectly first.
he is creating magic here. and thats not something that should be rushed aswell as the very much historically mentioned physics Wink
i think we are all in for a bang of a surprise when this is done.
Quote from cargame.nl :It has been answered before, its not an easy job to increase that number. If its desired at all, increasing grid equals increasing chaos. For cruise though it can be interesting but lots of stuff needs to be changed let alone the fact if people can still run LFS on their computer / internet which such massive grid.

Insim controllable LED array color changing track panels would be awesome

lmao man it's nearly 2020. A budget 300euro pc could run LFS with 40 players easily. Why limit something to the minority? Go big.
Great! With this update, the game begins to write a story! We all need this
Quote from nacim :I agree, is the auto-exposition using camera framebuffer histogram like usual or it is "hardcoded" depending on the time of day ?

This auto exposure method does not look at a histogram, this is one that remains constant at any time of day, regardless of what you are actually looking at. It considers the sun and sky brightness / colour to come up with the exposure and white balance values. It's better for working in the editor at this point but I am planning to try the histogram method, that considers the actual image you are looking at (like a real camera). Because ideally it should change if you are in the pits or outside or in a tunnel or looking at a sunset or away from a sunset, etc.

Quote from nacim :Scawen, I think you really need to add bloom to your todo list if it isn't already, it would really add to the final image if you have proper HDR data. I recommend an implementation close to KinoBloom (bloom by using downsampling instead of bluring), it allow really long bloom trail with low impact on performance (I used a similar implementation on Nintendo Switch, in a production game).

Thanks, I'll have a look at the method you linked to, and another look at the method I read about before, which I guess is the 'standard' method (taking the bright pixels and spreading horizontally then spreading vertically then combining that output with the original render target to create the final image).

I do have a HDR render target available in HDR mode. I took these shots and videos in SDR mode. I like the idea of having an SDR mode available to avoid all the expensive post-processing but I'm interested in trying the HDR type effects.
For people who are interested in how the automatic exposure works, I recreated the Blackwood video but this time with auto exposure and auto white balance disabled.

For comparison: Blackwood day to night with fixed exposure and white balance
Quote from Kyance :lmao man it's nearly 2020. A budget 300euro pc could run LFS with 40 players easily. Why limit something to the minority? Go big.

There are limited development resources, no need to waste time on something which isn't beneficial. The upcoming update is a graphical one, no-one has any idea how this is going to perform not with 40 cars let alone with 60 (on a full grid, this is something different then scattered around the environment). Go effective, quality above quantity.
Quote from Scawen :For people who are interested in how the automatic exposure works, I recreated the Blackwood video but this time with auto exposure and auto white balance disabled.

For comparison: Blackwood day to night with fixed exposure and white balance

you got this Smile
Quote from Flotch :layouts and 40 slots with a demo ? in the time it was needed to have at least an S1 licence for that Big Eye

You can see me as "Trespasser" in s2-s3 servers Smile i was talking about fragmaster leagues where now we surely would need a bit of more slots in server.
Quote from Scawen :This auto exposure method does not look at a histogram, this is one that remains constant at any time of day, regardless of what you are actually looking at. It considers the sun and sky brightness / colour to come up with the exposure and white balance values.

Interesting, thanks for the insight. If you can have the histogram method working on DX9 with no compute shaders, it could be interesting to see its performance. The advantage being that the current method can stay as a fallback for people those PC can't handle the histogram technique.

Quote from Scawen :which I guess is the 'standard' method (taking the bright pixels and spreading horizontally then spreading vertically then combining that output with the original render target to create the final image)

Correct. Well was standard for a time, I think most modern games are using the mip pyramid technique nowadays, as it has low performance impact and scales well with resolution.

Quote from Scawen :I do have a HDR render target available in HDR mode. I took these shots and videos in SDR mode. I like the idea of having an SDR mode available to avoid all the expensive post-processing but I'm interested in trying the HDR type effects.

Nice, I would really like to see the same blackwood video in HDR mode for comparaison. Smile

I think HDR rendering should really be your main target (with SDR fallback of course) as with a time of day and decent light ranges, without it you'll probably have a lot of clipping.

For most PCs, having basic tonemmapper (like Reinhard or others, nice resource here) would have virtually no performance impact compared to current "Post Processing ON" if you put it in the same pass as the final frame composition (where you'd add the bloom to your framebuffer, which would be in the current PostProcess.psh)
Not really sure how important it is in the grand scheme of things, but I'd really like to see that clock ticking over to match the time-of-day setting...
And I know Eric doesn't want to show anything half completed, but I know there's a lot of people here who would love to see a basic road map of South City - simply for hype purposes of course Big grin
Quote from Shirtkicker :see a basic road map of South City - simply for hype purposes of course Big grin

Definitely.... definitely!
I really like the way that LFS is turning out. Looks a very big progress on this game, devs. Congrats.

Also, @Scawen, is there any thougs or idea inside todo list, to add Safety Light bar to cars? Now that you're working with lights and those things, I think that it's a good idea to have the chance of add a bar of lights and then use the car as safety car. Also, on driving servers like [TC] will be good for having police cars.
Spoiler - click to reveal

This thread is closed

October Progress Report
(394 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG