The online racing simulator
Guide: Running an LFS Server
(704 posts, started , go to first unread)
Greetings.
I require more assistance on running a server. I will rent a very basic VPS.
European VPS. I would like volunteers to join. the server will be very basic settings, demo version. I would like to see if 10 players connect, may be 20 players, i want to see how much it will take.
Volunteers needed. Time will be on weekend. I want to perform such a test in 2 weeks.
Update : I've rented the VPS and I'm running the DCon.exe the way I discussed.
Now, how to connect to it from my PC?

from this manual:
https://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Hosting#Linux_with_WINE
I don't understand what those "iptables" command do.

Firewalls
There are a lot of firewalls out there, but I'll try and cover the ones I've got experience with: ISA, iptables and the windows firewall. If anyone has any requests, I'll add it to the thread / guide, if I can.
IPTables
The following rules should be enough to help you. Note: I assume that the machine running iptables is the same as the machine running the server. If not replace INPUT and OUTPUT with FORWARD.
Inbound:
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 63392 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 63392 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
Outbound:
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 29339 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
____
by this time i tried the iptable commands. VPS ip as hostname. Error: host not found on master server.
Ok. I made it. I run it on the VPS. set an admin pass.
/IP=[the IP of your server]
choose a nice hostname.

In a running game, choose specific host, enter the hostname mentioned above.
The server works.

I use the ufw firewall, rather than IPtables, due to simplicity. I need to know what rules must be made in order to run a dedicated server.
Quote from pedro.de.marco :I need to know what rules must be made in order to run a dedicated server.

Incoming: 63392 TCP & UDP (from "anywhere")
Outgoing: 29339 TCP (to 188.122.74.153 / master.lfs.net*)

* master.lfs.net or master.liveforspeed.net. I'm not sure which is the "real" DNS record for the master server, but they both resolve to the same IP so it doesn't really matter.

Guide: Running an LFS Server
(704 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG