The online racing simulator
yes. Local. but I was only testing. I know how to change to file. // comment. / active

update : I'm not sure what IP assign to that line. Big grin
Quote from pedro.de.marco :btw: There is an LFS linux version, available as a "snap package" on ubuntu. Which does not install properly at the moment.

We're aware.

So it's broken, huh? Would you please reach out to the maintainer (mmtrt) and create and issue describing the problem you encounter installing the snap? Having a broken LFS installer in the Ubuntu Snap Store doesn't benefit anyone. I suppose creating an issue in his GitHub repo is the way to do it.

Edit: As for this configuration:
// optional: local specified ip address
//ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

I haven't managed an LFS host in years, but I'm guessing /ip= is the equivalent of "listen on" or "bind to" configuration options seen in most server software. Meaning that you should specify the IP address of the interface that you wish to accepting incoming connections on.

For example, consider the following:
ifconfig | egrep 'flags|inet '

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 33152
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 213.x.y.z netmask 0xfffff800 broadcast 213.x.y.z
em1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 192.168.0.3 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255

In this case, em0 is my external IP. If I was to configure an LFS host to accept connections from the Interhet, I would specify that IP. em1, on the other hand (obviously) is the IP address on the LAN, so if I was to accept only connections from the LAN, I would specify that IP.

I'm guessing that since this configuration is optional, leaving it commented out would bind the host to 0.0.0.0, meaning that connections would be accepted from either interface. So I'm not really sure if it's necessary for you to worry about that setting at all.

Edit 2: Alright so I was right about the /ip= setting. the host does bind to the IP address that you specify, eg:

#//ip=xxx.xxx.xxx
netstat -tulpn | grep wineserver
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:63392 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 5759/wineserver64

# /ip=213.x.y.z
netstat -tulpn | grep wineserver
tcp 0 0 213.x.y.z:63392 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 5698/wineserver64

So, either leave it commented out or specify the IP address of the interface connected to the Internet. You can find out with the "ip addr" and "ip r" commands if you need to check.

Quote from pedro.de.marco :"v-box" network setup is: NAT, port forwarding. The same port number 63392 host and guest.
The connection type was "TCP" and I got the error.
Then I changed it to "UDP" and "ClientConnect : connect failed"

You need to forward TCP as well as UDP traffic. Or switch to "bridged" rather than "NAT" in the guest settings, then you won't have to worry about port forwarding in VirtualBox.
Notes:
1-The purpose of this test is to understand how the server works in Virtual Environment, to be able to run local or on internet.

2- When i say host-OS, the OS that vbox is installed on. Guest-OS, the one that runs DCon.
The host (server) runs on Guest-OS, the game running on Host-OS is the guest-player. I hope that the reader does not confuse that!

Hi. Checking things again. I created a copy of the setup.cfg , setup-1.cfg
I changed the following settings:
/hostname = LFS
/ip=127.0.0.1

The local vps (linux in vbox) is a commandline only and it boots fast, which means I can change settings fast.

I ran the command " wine DCon.exe /cfg=setup-1.cfg
wine DCon.exe /cfg=setup-1.cfg
Track loaded (BL1)
LFS-01 : BL1 race 5 laps (0)
Jul 11 11:07:57 2019
Handicaps :
Accept : 10.0.2.2
Received 53 : 10.0.2.2
Host Auth : 10.0.2.2
Authorised : 10.0.2.2 (pedro.de.marco)
Received 21 : 10.0.2.2
Connect : 10.0.2.2
Sent OK to new guest

user1@mini:~$ ifconfig
enp0s3: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 10.0.2.15 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 10.0.2.255

the same interface name on Host-OS returns the local 192.168.x.y
And I don't have that em0 interface.

Ok. I guess that I have that 10.0.2.15 and I need to use it.
I add it to the cfg file. I guess that I will need to use the bridged mode which I don't know how.

update : I also port forwarded UDP as well as TCP. the cfg is now setup-1.cfg as mentioned above. The game runs well. The local VPS is smooth using the least resource.
Quote from pedro.de.marco :/ip=127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 (the loopback address) definitely won't as intended. With that configuration only the host itself (e.g. the guest vm) will be able to connect.

I'm off to work now but I'll try to walk you through this tonight. Smile
I ran it. next step is to set it local. I will also try to run DCon.exe on docker image and try to communicate with that! The bad thing about docker is that, it's only an image. You should reinstall ALL after turning it off.
Quote from pedro.de.marco :I will also try to run DCon.exe on docker image and try to communicate with that! The bad thing about docker is that, it's only an image. You should reinstall ALL after turning it off.

I'd suggest holding off doing an implementation in Docker until you you've got it running in- and feel comfortable with the ins and outs of VirtualBox.

One step at a time, you know.
Keep watching!
sudo docker run -it -p 63392:63392 ubuntu

I followed the usual instructions. Since linux docker images are minimal, you should have basic knowledge of linux.
I used 64bit as base image and had to add-architecture (it's in the instructions wiki)
so it's better to use the i386 base image.

root@6e3d36921436:/home# wine DCon.exe /cfg=setup-1.cfg
Track loaded (BL1)
LFS-docker : BL1 race 5 laps (0)
Jul 11 10:22:03 2019
Handicaps :
> HOST : TIMER BOUNDED
Listen : Lost connection to master server
Auto reconnection to master
Handicaps :
Accept : 172.17.0.1
Received 53 : 172.17.0.1
Host Auth : 172.17.0.1
Authorised : 172.17.0.1 (pedro.de.marco)
Received 34 : 172.17.0.1
Alive : 172.17.0.1
Connecting guest still alive
Send Track : 172.17.0.1
Received 21 : 172.17.0.1
Connect : 172.17.0.1
Sent OK to new guest

ERROR IN THE GAME RUNNING ON DESKTOP:
could not send udp packet.

So I will add porting to UDP later.

-p 8080:80/tcp -p 8080:80/udp Map TCP port 80 in the container to TCP port 8080 on the Docker host, and map UDP port 80 in the container to UDP port 8080 on the Docker host.

https://docs.docker.com/config/containers/container-networking/
Quote from pedro.de.marco :I used 64bit as base image and had to add-architecture (it's in the instructions wiki)

Yes, I am familiar with the wiki instructions. I wrote the articles for running LFS on Linux and macOS.

It's good that you're making progress. I'll leave you to it, then. Smile
First I need to correct:
the:
//ip= [x]
for local, it needs to be // - comment -inactive

the docker runs perfectly. I saved the docker locally.
root@f08b4d974d3d:/home# wine DCon.exe /cfg=setup-1.cfg
Track loaded (BL1)
Jul 11 11:08:15 2019
Handicaps :
Accept : 172.17.0.1
Received 53 : 172.17.0.1
Host Auth : 172.17.0.1
Authorised : 172.17.0.1 (pedro.de.marco)
Send Track : 172.17.0.1
Connect : 172.17.0.1
Sent OK to new guest
Sent scrutineering packet
Received 17 : 172.17.0.1
Scrutineer : 172.17.0.1
Sent host info to new guest
Sent new user packet
pedro^L connected (pedro.de.marco)
LFS-docker : BL1 race 5 laps (1)
pedro.de.marco
Jul 11 11:08:28 2019
Found guest for packet with unknown ephemeral port
SKIN : Could not connect - HEL_Scavier_PRO
LFSW - new XRG PB by pedro.de.marco: 1:59.93 (-0:06.19)
pedro^L voted to RESTART
Repaired Mesh
LFSW - new XRG PB by pedro.de.marco: 1:52.96 (-0:06.97)
Leave @ 33519 : pedro
pedro^L disconnected (pedro.de.marco)
Jul 11 11:13:50 2019

European VPS. I would like volunteers to join. the server will be very basic settings, demo version. I would like to see if 10 players connect, may be 20 players, i want to see how much it will take.
Volunteers needed. Time will be on weekend. I want to perform such a test in 2 weeks.
Update : I've rented the VPS and I'm running the DCon.exe the way I discussed.
Now, how to connect to it from my PC?

from this manual:
https://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Hosting#Linux_with_WINE
I don't understand what those "iptables" command do.

Firewalls
There are a lot of firewalls out there, but I'll try and cover the ones I've got experience with: ISA, iptables and the windows firewall. If anyone has any requests, I'll add it to the thread / guide, if I can.
IPTables
The following rules should be enough to help you. Note: I assume that the machine running iptables is the same as the machine running the server. If not replace INPUT and OUTPUT with FORWARD.
Inbound:
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 63392 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 63392 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
Outbound:
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 29339 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
____
by this time i tried the iptable commands. VPS ip as hostname. Error: host not found on master server.
Ok. I made it. I run it on the VPS. set an admin pass.
/IP=[the IP of your server]
choose a nice hostname.

In a running game, choose specific host, enter the hostname mentioned above.
The server works.

I use the ufw firewall, rather than IPtables, due to simplicity. I need to know what rules must be made in order to run a dedicated server.
Quote from pedro.de.marco :I need to know what rules must be made in order to run a dedicated server.

Incoming: 63392 TCP & UDP (from "anywhere")
Outgoing: 29339 TCP (to 188.122.74.153 / master.lfs.net*)

* master.lfs.net or master.liveforspeed.net. I'm not sure which is the "real" DNS record for the master server, but they both resolve to the same IP so it doesn't really matter.
I didn't find any setup to manipulate that 29339 port.
Seems that the way LFS works is this:

You run dcon.exe with X portname, specified in the setup file.
$ wine DCon.exe /cfg=[setupfile]

and there should be some "hostname" in setup file. If you don't specify a hostname, you can't connect to your server.
On the client side, the player should enter hostname in the field for "Join a specified host"

to dockerize, there I tampered with it, you should use -p XTaped Shut option. YTaped Shut may work, YTaped Shut ZTaped Shut will not work. Don't run 2 servers on one port.

I could also get a tweak server by Multimod to run. it was the only tweak server i could run.
#665 - Avc
Server is showing on LFSW but not in master server in-game
Hello! I downloaded LFS_S3_DCON_6U a couple of days ago. I was desperately trying to get the server to show up in the master server list in-game, but no luck for me. The weird thing is that it shows up in the LFSW server list, and also in the LFSLazy Multiplayer list.

I tried disabling the "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" just like in the manual, added Dcon & LFS in windows firewall rule Exception; both UDP and TCP, I have port forwarded the ports; 63392 and 29339 both in TCP and UDP on the router, I tried creating a server in-game and opening another instance of lFS to check if the server appears in the master server list in-game, but nothing works Frown.

Here are all the proofs/pics. Please help!

1. Here's my setup.cfg:
/host=^3Formula ^71 ^6Championship
/admin=xxxx
/insim=29999
/ip=192.168.177.52
/port=63392
/mode=s2
/usemaster=yes
/track=WE2X
/cars=FBM
/maxguests=20
/adminslots=0
/carsmax=20
/carsguest=1
/pps=4
/qual=0
/laps=0
/wind=1
/vote=no
/select=no
/autokick=spec
/rstmin=10
/rstend=10
/midrace=yes
/mustpit=no
/canreset=no
/fcv=no
/cruise=yes
/start=finish
/player=Avc's SERVER
/welcome=welcome.txt
/autosave=0
/mprdir=mpr
/lytdir=layout

2. Disabled "NetBIOS over TCP/IP":
https://prnt.sc/s9kjmr

3. Windows firewall:
https://prnt.sc/s9kgi9

4. Port forwards:
https://prnt.sc/s9khf0

5. Port checker:
http://prnt.sc/s9knxb

6. LFSW hosts:
https://prnt.sc/s9kpyq

7. LFS in-game Filter:
https://prnt.sc/s9knel
Well.. There is maybe nothing serious going on and you are simply on the no reply list (26) .. Basically you cannot contact/ping yourself, so you see the list like this but others do not. Thats why you are actually on LFSWorld I guess.

You should connect internally if you want to deal with your own server and not across the internet.
-
(guncha) DELETED by guncha : now answer

Guide: Running an LFS Server
(666 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG