The online racing simulator
Graphics Progress Report: Rockingham
(111 posts, closed, started )
RTX Mode!
Quote from borja_s13 :Just a question @Scawen, will the new light and shadow system help to create a night version? I mean, to add some lights to the cars and play it at night, because now that you guys are updating every shadow, I think that it will work very well.

As three_jump says, this is just a step in the right direction. I don't think there is time to add night version support in the next release because too many complications e.g. headlights. But what I do plan to do for now is share lighting between tracks, so each track doesn't have to just have 3 weather configs, but they can all use any of them.

Quote from Degats :I'm trying to work out whether the shine on the wet grip area is supposed to be water or shiny rubber.
I'm going to regret saying this, because it's another shader rabbit hole to go down (sorry if this delays the release Wink ), but for "overexposed" shine like this, it could probably do with a subtle amount of bloom.

It's just an experimental water shine effect as there are sprinklers there at Rockingham but it isn't currently supported by physics.

I don't expect to add any post-processing effects at this release. I need to finish up on the lighting and shadows so I can get to sort out the tyre physics and get that to a releasable state if at all possible. I can't bear the thought of trying to merge the current changes you see in the development version, into the public version. I want to get past that point where there are two branches and I want LFS back on the right track again.
Quote from Scawen :But what I do plan to do for now is share lighting between tracks, so each track doesn't have to just have 3 weather configs, but they can all use any of them.

Awesome.
Quote from Degats :Comparisons of the latest screenshots:
I'm going to regret saying this, because it's another shader rabbit hole to go down (sorry if this delays the release Wink ), but for "overexposed" shine like this, it could probably do with a subtle amount of bloom.

It's more looks like a lack of dynamic range in reflection.
@Scawen, Does your new render supports HDR? Because in scenarios like this, 8-bit environment textures cant handle bright reflections on low reflective smooth surface
goood job.
@scawen: Might it be worth adding a disclaimer to some of the screenshots (https://lfs.net/screenshots) saying that it's WIP and not actually part of the game yet. It seems some people are getting confused about that point, seeing it as false advertising.
-
(TexasLTU) DELETED by Scawen : unpleasant / pointless / spam
Those monthly reports are exactly what community needed. Speaking for myself, now I see how far is the progress and I see it's way further than i thought. Keep it going! Thumbs up
Quote from mbutcher :@scawen: Might it be worth adding a disclaimer to some of the screenshots (https://lfs.net/screenshots) saying that it's WIP and not actually part of the game yet. It seems some people are getting confused about that point, seeing it as false advertising.

Thanks, done!
There are screenshots of the Sirocco in the "Screenshots from the currently available version" part too though, it can be misleading too I guess. Shrug
The LFS model of Rockingham is something quite historic now, as it seems the circuit is to be sold and demolished.

Great that we have this high-quality replica to live on.
What about shadow multiply?
Look at bottom of the car.
Attached images
chevrolet-suburban.jpg
Quote from Big Daddy :After reading your post I must say that I now realized that the new graphics have a pinky tone. Especially in old/new comparison it is visible:

But this pinky colorization should be removed.

Somehow I'm pretty sure that's just due to the sun angle.
Quote from Big Daddy :After reading your post I must say that I now realized that the new graphics have a pinky tone. Especially in old/new comparison it is visible:
[...]
My personal taste would be this - and I just desaturated the colors - hope you see the big difference:

I'd rather play with LFS' current/new color palette than playing Schindler's List.

I don't see any pinkish colouring in the new screenshots. It's quite saturated, but I don't see any hue on the picture.
Quote from Whiskey :I'd rather play with LFS' current/new color palette than playing Schindler's List.

Pretty well summed up. Big grin
Quote from Big Daddy :My personal taste would be this - and I just desaturated the colors - hope you see the big difference

That looks closer to converted-to-monochrome than desaturated-a-little. I'm not convinced of the case for any desaturation, tbh, but that's way too much for me.

How're the colour settings on your monitor looking? Wink
Quote from Whiskey :I'd rather play with LFS' current/new color palette than playing Schindler's List.

LMAO

Quote from Big Daddy :
So here a new try:
The red of the car is still the same.

#3 also my favorite. I like really much the colors of current LFS. Those colors make me feel happy always. Unlike the colors in Assetto Corsa, they always give a bit dark and creepy feeling - me not like.
Looking great, pleased to see progress still being made on a game that I spent many hours on! Going to have to dust of the wheel and fire it up for a blast.
Congratulations Scawen for the great work organized by you
As a player and passionate about LiveForSpeed until I have to thank for it, I am quite happy to see that LiveForSpeed is renewed this way.
Quote from Big Daddy :I must say that I was a little bit lazy, I wanted to just desaturize the grass.

The trouble is that it's all linked. The grass in your #3 looks good to me for a cloudy day, for example, but it's a little off in a scene with such strong sunlight on the wheel and a blue sky, IMHO.
Hhmm living discussion about color of grass! true iracing competition going to take place in few months

lets rave Na-na
#71 - w126
I know it's not a test patch thread yet Wink , but don't you think these shadows below and around the wheels look strange?
Attached images
s.png
#73 - w126
Quote from Big Daddy :Well, I would say no. This kind of shadow is actually also visible in real life. You will notice it when sun sets in the evening or sun rises in the morning. The shadows are sharp then. During the day, the light scatters in the sky and produces the shadows we are mostly used of: Indirect shadows.

Yes, I know there are both direct and indirect (ambient) shadows on the screenshot that I posted. What I meant is that the shape of the indirect shadow is strange, like there were holes in it around the wheels. The parts that may be considered indirect shadows from only the wheels (?) are too narrow and on the outside. BTW, the shapes of indirect shadows are probably not changed from the current public version.
I think what will the next Progress Report will have. Maybe South City? Big grin
its going to be westhill.
from what we've seen so far, existing tracks which have been reworked a bit are shown first
then we will get to see the exciting stuff.

also it would be cool if Blackwood tirewalls are up to the same standard as aston

if you catch my drift
This thread is closed

Graphics Progress Report: Rockingham
(111 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG