The online racing simulator
Driving my favorite car MRT is never same anymore.

What was the reason to disable handbrake from it? It was helping alot to not get stuck on walls in cruise servers. And there were many more reasons to use handbrake on MRT.
Carts do not have handbrakes. That's the reason. Wink
It's not a kart, but it is an FSAE car (with suspension and a 600cc motorbike engine).

I tried to find out if FSAE cars had handbrakes, and I asked on the forum too. I did not hear from anyone on the forum and I could not find any reference that stated that FSAE cars have a handbrake.

In the end, after watching some FSAE videos, I thought it was quite unlikely that they have one, so decided to exclude them like the other single seaters.
Seems that if you remove an object from underneath a frozen car (engine off, physics stopped), when the car does eventually get updated LFS now crashes. Previously the car would fall as expected.
Quote from Scawen :It's not a kart, but it is an FSAE car (with suspension and a 600cc motorbike engine).

I tried to find out if FSAE cars had handbrakes, and I asked on the forum too. I did not hear from anyone on the forum and I could not find any reference that stated that FSAE cars have a handbrake.

In the end, after watching some FSAE videos, I thought it was quite unlikely that they have one, so decided to exclude them like the other single seaters.

Okay but there was handbrake on MRT for years in LFS. Why the change now?

Thanks for explanation.
Quote from Scawen :I suppose it's to avoid intersecting physics objects that fly apart madly when touched. That problem doesn't really apply to unmovable objects. But then the question is, why would you want ordinary objects to intersect?

I only had barriers, ramps, speedhumps and armco in mind, but I wasn't going to suggest any limitation in a post complaining about limitations Smile I hadn't thought of the movables in collision, they'd react madly because they'd see the overlap as a huge impact speed I guess?

I intersect barriers for smoother curves, and to plug smaller-than-the-smallest-section gaps without having to shift loads of pieces. I use speed humps for kerbing (end-to-end for long edging, or in a star-pattern for a tightly-rounded inside). Armco I overlap end-to-end as just butting it up close will sometimes catch a car that scrapes along it and spit it out. Ramps that don't overlap can catch a tire in the gap if the car is slipping a little sideways whilst moving and facing forwards.

I'm sure there's more that I can't recall right now (ain't there always?), and concrete has solved most of those problems... but I still see that message often enough to hate it.
Quote from PeterN :Seems that if you remove an object from underneath a frozen car (engine off, physics stopped), when the car does eventually get updated LFS now crashes. Previously the car would fall as expected.

Please can you give me a step by step explanation how to reproduce this, or a layout?

Also, if it did crash, do you have the crash address? In case it's hard to reproduce...

If LFS really crashes, this is very bad and we need to release a new full version without delay.

My failed attempt to reproduce a crash - I put a start point on a high piece of concrete, restarted the race to put the car up there, switched off the engine so it goes out of physics, went back into the editor, removed the concrete, exited the editor, car goes back into physics and falls to the ground as expected.
Quote from Pose1don :Okay but there was handbrake on MRT for years in LFS. Why the change now?

Thanks for explanation.

There was previously a handbrake on all the single seater cars in LFS. But there are no handbrakes on single seaters in reality. Some people were using the handbrake to gain an advantage in some places while hotlapping. This forces other people to use the same unrealistic trick to remain competitive and there was a request on the test patch thread to remove this exploit while we were on some other hotlapping improvements.
Quote from Scawen :There was previously a handbrake on all the single seater cars in LFS. But there are no handbrakes on single seaters in reality. Some people were using the handbrake to gain an advantage in some places while hotlapping. This forces other people to use the same unrealistic trick to remain competitive and there was a request on the test patch thread to remove this exploit while we were on some other hotlapping improvements.

"The car must be equipped with a braking system that acts on all four wheels and is operated by a
single control. "

So, if I did understand correctly, single control means you can only use one mechanical thing to make a function. If that this, this states MRT5 had never a handbrake in real.

( Warning, suggestion )
In overall, it is actually nice to not have any handbrake. Still I would like to see a fictional single seater which actually has a functional handbrake, with hand switch or double brake pedal or so, but that goes now on suggestion
/( Warning, suggestion )

Didn't change much, only have to be more prepared in cornering, that is my opinion. In overall, excellent patch.

Quote from Scawen :My failed attempt to reproduce a crash - I put a start point on a high piece of concrete, restarted the race to put the car up there, switched off the engine so it goes out of physics, went back into the editor, removed the concrete, exited the editor, car goes back into physics and falls to the ground as expected.

Yes, I can reproduce, no crash.

Put car on slab, wait that car stalls itself, go to Shift U mode, delete slab, go back, ignite car, it drops.

No crash

EDIT: Added .mpr file
Attached files
reproduce dropper.mpr - 12.2 KB - 228 views
Hmm, only thing I can think of that may be different is the slab was used to lift the car from the road surface initially. I will try to reproduce if I get a chance tonight.
Maybe you need some online users to reproduce the crash. But it keeps frozen until you ignite it, which seems not right. I think when car gets stalled and deactivated in physical calculation, it should be reactivated as soon as "floor object" gets changed or removed.

EDIT: I managed to crash it Smile

Here is step by step:

1. Drive car on a slab which is higher than ground (layout attached)

2. Switch to edit mode (Shift+U)

3. Wait until car stalls itself (keep camera closer so you can hear it)

4. Remove the slab under the car.

5. Exit edit mode and you should crash now (worked 50% times for me so far)

Translated from russian windows:

Сигнатура проблемы:
Problem name: APPCRASH
App name: LFS.exe
Time stamp: 56bf1dce
Exception code: c0000005
Exception offset: c88b0b74
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Language code: 1049
Additional 1: 4709
.. 2: 4709938665fa84e3ff99c8cbe11223bb
.. 3: a81a
.. 4: a81a9f8781f3b5c53cc70262f7592fb9

Attached images
2016-02-17 16-52-58.954.jpg
Attached files
RO1_crash^q.lyt - 28 B - 208 views
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :
Yes, I can reproduce, no crash.

Put car on slab, wait that car stalls itself, go to Shift U mode, delete slab, go back, ignite car, it drops.

No crash

EDIT: Added .mpr file

My game crashed when I tried to rewind your replay forward a bit.

I don't know if it is relevant, but I run 64bit Windows 7 OS.
I have managed to reproduce it using vitaly's method. Thank you for this report and reproduction. It's a bit mysterious, something to do with accessing memory after it was freed. But I'll track it down as top priority.

EDIT: Now I know the cause of it.

EDIT2: It seems to me this bug is not new, and has been there ever since shadows could be cast on layout objects, I think when the concrete objects were introduced.

EDIT3: Now I've found a seemingly more reliable way to get the crash, and in this case it takes place in the new code that selects the correct draw lists depending on your height above ground. In this method, you do not wait for the car to go out of physics. Just use in car view and pause the game before entering SHIFT+U mode. Then delete the object the car is sitting on. You should get a crash when you exit SHIFT+U mode.

EDIT4: Fixed in my version. There are a few quick things on my list that have come up so there should be a test patch out sooner than expected.
Quote from Scawen :EDIT4: Fixed in my version. There are a few quick things on my list that have come up so there should be a test patch out sooner than expected.

Interesting, what is the main focus of this test patch this time ? Graphics improvements ? I think Cascaded Shadow Mappping would be a real game changer for LFS, it will change the look of each tracks and cars. Smile
I don't know but I'd say it will mostly be bug fixes.
I didn't want to get into a new full version at this point, but a crash bug is enough to change my plans. We can't leave a crash bug out there in the official version. So I'd like to do a few small fixes and improvements to make it more worthwhile. I won't be getting into any monster graphical updates now, as that has far lower priority than the tyre physics which I must get back onto without delay, after doing some editor functions to help Eric with the track he is working on.
I'd be much more interested to read about tyre model improvements than the rest of the things in this patch, but as ever I'm happy things keep giving along. LFS just needs a big shot in the arm. It's still the best online racer hands down.
I noticed that my previous post could be misread, so I just want to make it clear there will be no tyre physics updates in the coming patch.

1) Test patch in a few days with crash fix, a few small lesson editor fixes, possibly an MPR smoothing.
2) Not going to get into a massive patching session. I've just come off one. Just release the full version with a few minor updates.
3) Do some editor functions that Eric has asked for.
4) Work on tyre physics.

Disclaimer: That's the plan, but plans change...
Questions
Quote from Scawen :I didn't want to get into a new full version at this point, but a crash bug is enough to change my plans. We can't leave a crash bug out there in the official version. So I'd like to do a few small fixes and improvements to make it more worthwhile. I won't be getting into any monster graphical updates now, as that has far lower priority than the tyre physics which I must get back onto without delay, after doing some editor functions to help Eric with the track he is working on.

Scawen, I know there are threads in the past re the upcoming tyre physics. But can you tell us real world benefits to racing these tyre physics will bring in 2016 explaination, not a rehash of anything posted before?

Like you've been working on them for a very long time, so much so I may have unrealistic expectations of how much of an improvement my lap times will be when using them.

Guess after so many years its not unreasonable for me to expect all players to lap 5 seconds faster instantly? I can expect changing grip levels as tyre heats, wears and is on dirt? Also when a tyre blows out due to heat, the car will be crippled more so than at present?
Cheers Shannon
I know this will be a tricky question and I certainly don't want to force you into saying anything you don't want to say, but would it be possible to give us a quick status update on how the work on the tyre phyiscs is going and maybe a very rough indication on how long the rest of the process should take (although I totaly understand that you might not want to say anything about that last part of the question).
Obviously it hasn't been proceeding a lot as I've been working full time on other things. There is only one of me.

What benefits they will bring? They will behave more realistically and feel better to drive. Nothing do do with changing a few numbers. It's an entirely rewritten tyre model.

For more info, drive a bit in LFS then go and drive a real car. What differences do you feel? Those differences should be reduced. That's the plan.
Euhm me driving a real car is not going to happen, as I have no drivers license Wink
Thanks for your answer and I am sure it will be a great improvement for LFS once you have finished it.
Quote from Scawen :Obviously it hasn't been proceeding a lot as I've been working full time on other things. There is only one of me.

What benefits they will bring? They will behave more realistically and feel better to drive. Nothing do do with changing a few numbers. It's an entirely rewritten tyre model.

For more info, drive a bit in LFS then go and drive a real car. What differences do you feel? Those differences should be reduced. That's the plan.

Thumbs up
This thread is closed

New version 0.6M - Rockingham update and many improvements
(125 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG