The online racing simulator
It will also allow us to simulate more different types of vehicles because the tyre model should scale correctly from small tyres to large tyres. There are so many possibilities from having a better tyre model, not only that it feels better and more fun to drive as you put the power on coming out of a bend and so on. A physics model based on real physical principles that produce the mathematical functions that produce the slip curves and the way of combining lateral and longitudinal forces (they aren't 'combined' as such, they just come out of the model naturally).

And no, I'm not going into details now. Right now I'm trying to get this quick update out of the way. And as I said then I'm working on functions for Eric and at last I'll be back on the tyre physics. If there's something interesting to say about it in a few months, then perhaps I will.
I am teased!Thumbs up
Quote from Scawen :It will also allow us to simulate more different types of vehicles because the tyre model should scale correctly from small tyres to large tyres. There are so many possibilities from having a better tyre model, not only that it feels better and more fun to drive as you put the power on coming out of a bend and so on. A physics model based on real physical principles that produce the mathematical functions that produce the slip curves and the way of combining lateral and longitudinal forces (they aren't 'combined' as such, they just come out of the model naturally).

And no, I'm not going into details now. Right now I'm trying to get this quick update out of the way. And as I said then I'm working on functions for Eric and at last I'll be back on the tyre physics. If there's something interesting to say about it in a few months, then perhaps I will.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know these things
Thanks for sharing the plans.

If Eric finishes a track sooner than tyre physics are ready, will the track be released sooner than tyres?
Welp, there probably goes my dream of patch M8.

Thanks for the info though, keep it up and godspeed.
Quote from vitaly_m :Thanks for sharing the plans.

If Eric finishes a track sooner than tyre physics are ready, will the track be released sooner than tyres?

Yes, now that we made the decision to sell S3 licenses, there is no reason to hold back tracks because of tyre physics. The quicker we can get a track out there, the better, as the S3 license upgrade will look like twice as good value. But it will take a while as Eric is working to a high detail level as you can see in Westhill and Rockingham.

Originally the tyre physics delays held up some things, and still holds up the Scirocco. As most people know - and this has never changed - tyre physics was and still is the reason for the delay in the Scirocco.

The tyre physics update is the best thing that can happen to LFS on the code side. On the content side, new tracks are the best thing.
Just hoping this is the final year to settle things with the tyre physics problem, so we can clear the horizon for lfs future.
Quote from Scawen :... On the content side, new tracks are the best thing.

Some crazy cars too would be highly appreciated ^^ . But I see your point and totally agree.
This is clearly nice to see the recent updates, and to know things, even little, about the roadmap Smile Thumbs up
I can't wait! Thumbs up
Would it be possible to get the interior updates for the cars (FX0, RB4, ...) at some point as well? Those were nearly finished in 2009, if I remember correctly. Shy
Or would updating those require an incompatible version (and a reset of the lap-times?) and are therefor kept until the physics are updated?

The cockpits of some cars are just so outdated and "ugly" by todays standards, especially when compared to the level of detail in Westhill and Rockingham. Shrug
Keep going Scawen and know that a lot of people (although "many" have stated here otherwise very often and in a thousand ways) are still appreciating your work or come as new comers to LFS and start enjoying your masterpiece. Thanks for your dedication and work done (also to Eric and Victor for their contributions).

Is this supposed to mean we can have multiple races at the same time, in the same server?

Please enlighten me Big grin lol
Quote from OTone :Is this supposed to mean we can have multiple races at the same time, in the same server?

YES! That's one of the new changes to InSim.
Quote from OTone :

Is this supposed to mean we can have multiple races at the same time, in the same server?

That is something created by sicotange and you can have a go on it by joining the WS Metropolis server.
Quote from three_jump :Would it be possible to get the interior updates for the cars (FX0, RB4, ...) at some point as well? Those were nearly finished in 2009, if I remember correctly. Shy
Or would updating those require an incompatible version (and a reset of the lap-times?) and are therefor kept until the physics are updated?

The cockpits of some cars are just so outdated and "ugly" by todays standards, especially when compared to the level of detail in Westhill and Rockingham. Shrug

Yes some of them are really back in time.

I know Eric wants to update the car interiors and other things. But we are agreed that another track is the priority at the moment. The S3 license looks so limited in what it offers, that updating S1/S2 stuff is just not the priority at the moment. He likes to focus on one thing at a time.

I don't know what will be the priority when the track is done, or if the tyres will be before or after the track. We're just trying to crack on.
cracking on sounds great!
Quote from Scawen :[...] But we are agreed that another track is the priority at the moment. The S3 license looks so limited in what it offers, that updating S1/S2 stuff is just not the priority at the moment. [...]

Sounds fair enough.
Very interesting read! Na-na
Michelangelo painted the roof of the Sistine Chapel in five years.
Quote from petercollins :Michelangelo painted the roof of the Sistine Chapel in five years.

And Duke Nukem Forever spent about fifteen years in the making - and that wasn't just a couple of people working on it.
On multiplayer servers, all cars are either in track or pits, invisible. LFS itself in hotlapping is fine.
Quote from asyed :On multiplayer servers, all cars are either in track or pits, invisible. LFS itself in hotlapping is fine.

This sounds like a problem with your internet connection and UDP packets.

You can try requesting TCP packets for position updates.

Press CTRL+T when you are online and this may solve the problem.
Thank you for the updates so much! It is really an enjoyable read Smile
Rockingham.... I've been playing it quite a bit. I love the oval. But to tell the truth, if this is what we can expect from "real" tracks, then what you make up is just fine. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate what I assume is the most faithful reproduction you could do. But as to whoever designed it compared to the tracks y'all designed? Let's see.... the train tracks on South City. A trestle bridge and slot-car track corners on Fern Bay and the corkscrew from hell on Aston. I dunno. You could probably teach race track designers a thing or two about making real tracks. Future cars.... I know you're up to something with that end of things. And I'm sure those will be great as well, whatever it is. I'm not going to go there about the VW, but for Pete's Sake! If you're going to make new cars, make something for the dragstrip! There's six zillion video games of cars going in circles, how many for cars going in a straight line? lol think outside the box.
You know, at first I thought 36 pounds was a bit steep for someone that decided to buy all the licenses at once. But compared to the prices for the new titles, it's really not all that much. Yeah. I paid about 35 bucks Belize for S3. Not bad. I think it was 24 something U.S. for S2. You know their money has the Queen on it? They love Queen Elizabeth to death there. She's the only person on their currency. If you ever get a chance to go to the Caribbean, you should go to Belize. Yeah. I found out about the Rockingham release about the same time I was trying to figure out what the cram into a backpack. Sorry for spamming about Belize.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG