The online racing simulator
Just as good car stereos sound terrible when connected with 18-22 gauge wire... good computer hardware can still perform like DOS games when the hardware isn't running at full potential.

Here's an example: imagine trying to drink a Dr Pepper with a 2 meter long straw... not very good...

When I got a GPU not too long ago, yes the graphics improved but it was still the same FPS, just a lot bigger graphics with more detail. What did improve the speed is when I stopped using the VGA cable and bought a DVI cable instead. I noticed a difference right away even as I started my computer.

If you have trouble with FPS, try the following:

in desktop properties
- lower screen resolution but use highest refresh rate it allows
- set memory control to allocate memory to programs, not background cache

in task manager
- make LFS.exe high priority process
- end unused processes like itunes or startup items
- close web browsers especially if you use google chrome

in the game
- set display functions to use low res for all textures
- reduce size of Westhill dds files from 2048x2048 to 512x512

note: feel free to add or change the list if it helps.
Quote from Scawen :But what does it mean, for Eyefinity to be active? Is it doing anything when you are not in full screen? Or is it just running there idle, waiting for you to go full screen? I know from my dual monitor setup that a large window on an extended desktop works OK in Windows 7 without any additional software (usable and with good frame rate though it doesn't look very nice). So this is why I am asking if Eyefinity is really doing anything in that case.

Eyefinity is somewhat different from just an extended desktop. When you switch to an Eyefinity setup you only have one virtual screen thats spans over three physical monitors. So, even the Windows desktop behaves as if you had one wide (48:9) monitor with a resolution of 5760x1080 (or slightly more due to bezel compensation, like 6004x1080 as my screenshots showed). Eyefinity doesn't "kick into action" when an application goes full screen or something like that. It's more like a screen setup I choose prior to starting LFS. The AMD Catalyst Control Center also lets you save different configurations. In my case I can easily switch between "only use middle monitor", "use 3 monitors with extended desktop" or "use Eyefinity setup".
Quote from Pablo Donoso :
in the game
- set display functions to use low res for all textures
- reduce size of Westhill dds files from 2048x2048 to 512x512

This actually never helps and when im setting track textures it only gains 1 maybe 2 fps so its actually useless because there is no real gain in fps and its only looking worse when you set it on low. And i actually have lower fps in compressed textures so im using full textures because there is more fps and looking better. Tryied even default or alternative shadows and fps was same on both (read: fps was low). I did it on a paused game as it should be ofc.
Quote from Scawen :
Quote from Papa :No, I switched between full screen mode and windowed mode while Eyefinity was active all the time (also when the screenshots were taken). When pressing Shift+F4 the frame rate increases/decreases by ~100 FPS instantaneously.

But what does it mean, for Eyefinity to be active? Is it doing anything when you are not in full screen? Or is it just running there idle, waiting for you to go full screen? I know from my dual monitor setup that a large window on an extended desktop works OK in Windows 7 without any additional software (usable and with good frame rate though it doesn't look very nice). So this is why I am asking if Eyefinity is really doing anything in that case.

This reminds me of my old grumble about how annoying it is that MS removed the capability that XP had, to go full screen on multiple monitors. To use a dual monitor I used to simply go full screen in the relevant mode. Now, with Windows 7, I have to use a window and not go full screen. Although I have on my notes to look into coding for a new borderless window mode. And also I see there is external software available to run games in borderless windows. http://westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming/

Eyefinity/nVidia Surround makes your three-screened desktop act like 1 giant surface. They also do bezel correction (at least in nVidia Surround).

Borderless Window is pretty standard on most games now, primarily to allow easy switching between game and other applications, but it comes with its own penalties (sometimes) where Aero will do VSync on that window as well, even though the game is rendering it at 200+ FPS.]

nVidia Surround requires 3 screens IIRC. Not sure about AMD Eyefinity.
Quote from Papa :
PS: My system specs are: i5-3570K, 16 GB RAM, AMD Radeon 7950 Boost Clock 3GB, Win7-64bit

What happens when you are on a non Westhill circuit? (Fern Bay is the most lightweight in my beliefs). How does the Windows CPU graph look like when you set LFS.exe affinity to an unused processor in the two different modes? (LFS uses only one but by default all affinity is on all processors which makes it difficult to determine on which one LFS.exe actually runs). Does GPU-Z report GPU load? If yes, what kind of load? Best to make a screenshot of it so we can see if your card is running optimum or not. If hardware can be ruled out, then it's a starting point to look at the software.
Quote from Pablo Donoso :What did improve the speed is when I stopped using the VGA cable and bought a DVI cable instead. I noticed a difference right away even as I started my computer.

lmao
Quote from Papa :Anyway, I will look at VSync and AA settings again.

Hi Papa,

Did you try switching off Vertical Sync to see if that is the cause of the low frame rate in full screen mode?
Quote from luki97 :

This actually never helps and when im setting track textures it only gains 1 maybe 2 fps so its actually useless because there is no real gain in fps and its only looking worse when you set it on low. And i actually have lower fps in compressed textures so im using full textures because there is more fps and looking better. Tryied even default or alternative shadows and fps was same on both (read: fps was low). I did it on a paused game as it should be ofc.

Ok so imagine there is a large environment with all the surface areas covered with tons of files, each one being 2mb-5mb's in size. As you go from section to section in the environment, the textures behind you are taken away as the ones coming up are added. As more textures appear, it takes time for the cpu/gpu to process it. This takes probably a few milliseconds for your computer to load and isn't noticeable... that is until it has to be done with hundreds of files for all the cars & track textures, 60-100 times per second, and while keeping track of where the other cars are at any given time.

FPS can be affected by a number of things but the biggest is definitely how well a computer is able to process the environment and changes within it. Not everyone has a good computer though and for them, it does certainly help when there are less objects and textures for the gpu / cpu to process. My tips are for those which like myself don't have gaming rigs... mine for example is just an old workstation for numbercrunching which I modified a little bit. Works perfectly fine for me. Wink

Now if only I could figure out which DDS files are for the rims to make them look as good as the XRR's does. Big grin
I am driving with a i5 2500, GTX 970, 16GB 1033mhz DDR3 and i bought a new G-Sync Monitor with 144hz.
on our last city liga race (this Monday) i got constantly 140FPS, with 20 Drivers.
No drops nothing. I've maxed out every setting.
I'd like to touch on a different topic from the posters above.

I really hate the fences around the track the way they are now.
If you run in the right direction it's all good and dandy, but in reverse configs if you end up touching grass and eventually head towards the railing your race is effectively over, as you soon enough end up with it trying to split your car in two.

I can fix it with autocross objects but OOTB It's seriously annoying...
Quote from Pablo Donoso :Now if only I could figure out which DDS files are for the rims to make them look as good as the XRR's does. Big grin

You can only "skin" rims of all 3 XR cars and FBM,the downside - as all dds modifications,they are just client side.
Quote from JoRuss :I'd like to touch on a different topic from the posters above.

I really hate the fences around the track the way they are now.
If you run in the right direction it's all good and dandy, but in reverse configs if you end up touching grass and eventually head towards the railing your race is effectively over, as you soon enough end up with it trying to split your car in two.

I can fix it with autocross objects but OOTB It's seriously annoying...

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/please-stop-killing-my-friends-1697610915
previously I showed my system and printscreens where my fps drops (all I was shown around drift). this week i made a races with XRG for fun and not faced screen so strong lags. I think the FPS drop also is related to the number of calls per objects and in drift camera movements are 90% higher, which provides large calls for objects and faster due to speed of movement.

the difference is significant with the same FPS
Great update.
My fps often drops from 200 fps to 20-30 fps on the new westhill. But I guess this is something that can be fixed in the future. It seems to be an occlusion culling hit. Are the tracks split up in lots of smaller meshes?

I read something about using paths to hide objects a while ago. This shouldn't be necessary.

Thanks for the update.
#240 - pmw
I just noticed that one of my WE replays are pretty broken: http://lfs.petsamo.fi/mpr/2015-03-01_1.mpr

Just take a look and you'll understand. It seems that I'm not the only one whos replay of that race is broken.

Does anyone else have a problem like this? Or is this already reported?

EDIT:
Forget this. If someone else is wondering the same thing..remember something; it might be that you raced in the OLD Westhill, not in the new one.

Nothing to see here.
Although my comment is bit late,
But i like the new westhill very much too. Much more realistic track layout and very challenging to get it right. I am really looking forward to the tyre-physics update to complement the realistic track.
20 cars only drops my fps from 240 to 200 with 20 cars on westhill,never experienced any really obvious fps as of yet

i5 3760
16gb ram
256 ssd
gtx 660

Quote from Bluebird B B :Although my comment is bit late,
But i like the new westhill very much too. Much more realistic track layout and very challenging to get it right. I am really looking forward to the tyre-physics update to complement the realistic track.

Believe it or not, but Fern Bay is actually pretty realistic. I've been to Jamaica and seen a race track there.
It kinda looked like a miniature version of Fern Green. It was at the base of a hill. On top of that hill was a mansion that belonged to Lennox(sp?) Lewis, a former boxer.
This one?

Is there any chance to get the Westhill logo visible around the track? The one found in WSTinfo.dds is way too small to use for any graphical purposes,couldn't find any other dds file (beside bin,which is also too small) with this logo.
Quote from Eclipsed :Is there any chance to get the Westhill logo visible around the track? The one found in WSTinfo.dds is way too small to use for any graphical purposes,couldn't find any other dds file (beside bin,which is also too small) with this logo.

Its was easy to recreate
Attached images
WesthillYo.png
@bishtop change power management form adaptive to Performance

The nvidia driver didnt switch form 2D to 3D performance level

EDIT: First post after 10 Years ^^
Attached images
Nvidia.jpg
every time i drive on the new westhill acsses roads it eaither resets or i fall out of the map why is this please help
Quote from karlh9711 :every time i drive on the new westhill acsses roads it eaither resets or i fall out of the map why is this please help

Have you made sure that you are driving in Westhill X?
Quote from vitaly_m :Its was easy to recreate

Thanks,allthough font is slightly different,but looks legit. Technically I would be able to recreate it myself,I was just hoping that devs could share the original,would be nice if they would do that for all tracks - I already have decent Blackwood and Kyoto logo rips,but seems there are no SO,FE and AS logos at all,would be still nice. Wink
This thread is closed

New Westhill racing environment - 0.6H
(328 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG