The online racing simulator
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
Let's make them fluffy with funny faces so people aww when seeing them in the back yard.
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
For me it is be very funny idea :lol:
Until something proves me wrong.

I can't see ANY benefit of using them instead of animals. Maybe the fear of almighty PETA Big grin
Animals are far cheaper, quieter, with low cost of maintenance.
I can't see benefit of ie. scale - big scale monster like Star Wars AT-AT Walkers have no use - if you want a vehicle on muddy, soft surface you use caterpillars. There are vehicles used in canadian swamps that can go in terrain most footed creatures can't go - their caterpillars are so big those massive couple of tons vehicles ride thru mud where everyone would sink on their feet.

DARPA contests are always interesting in terms of science but appliance of this one would be really funny.

LS3 is a rough-terrain robot designed to go anywhere Marines and Soldiers go on foot, helping carry their load. Each LS3 carries up to 400 lbs of gear and enough fuel for a 20-mile mission lasting 24 hours. LS3 automatically follows its leader using computer vision, so it does not need a dedicated driver. It also travels to designated locations using terrain sensing and GPS. LS3 began a 2-year field testing phase in 2012. LS3 isfunded by DARPA and the US Marine Corps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=R7ezXBEBE6U

RHex is a six-legged robot with inherently high mobility. Powerful, independently controlled legs produce specialized gaits that devour rough terrain with minimal operator input. RHex climbs in rock fields, mud, sand, vegetation, railroad tracks, telephone poles and up slopes and stairways.
RHex has a sealed body, making it fully operational in wet weather, muddy and swampy conditions. RHex's remarkable terrain capabilities have been validated in government-run independent testing. RHex is controlled remotely from an operator control unit at distances up to 700 meters. Visible/IR cameras and illuminators provide front and rear views from the robot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ISznqY3kESI

GOOGLE BETS ON ROBOTS

Google continues to bet big on robots. Yesterday they confirmed their eighth purchase of a robot manufacturer in the last six months with the acquisition of Boston Dynamics, the engineering team behind a mind-blowing menagerie of machines that can walk, hop and even run in rugged terrain, including their most famous creation to date: Big Dog.

While Google has stated that they will continue to honor exisiting contracts between Boston Dynamics and the Pentagon's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), they have stressed that they don't see the robotics company as a military contractor, but as a key player in the advancement of technology for the betterment of mankind.

Quote from AndRand :For me it is be very funny idea :lol:
Until something proves me wrong.

I can't see ANY benefit of using them instead of animals. Maybe the fear of almighty PETA Big grin
Animals are far cheaper, quieter, with low cost of maintenance.
I can't see benefit of ie. scale - big scale monster like Star Wars AT-AT Walkers have no use - if you want a vehicle on muddy, soft surface you use caterpillars. There are vehicles used in canadian swamps that can go in terrain most footed creatures can't go - their caterpillars are so big those massive couple of tons vehicles ride thru mud where everyone would sink on their feet.

DARPA contests are always interesting in terms of science but appliance of this one would be really funny.

They might work well in jungles with very limited space, where small wheeled vehicles don't climb well and big vehicles don't go anywhere.

As for machine vs animal, machines can be controlled remotely, don't have emotions, won't freak out hearing gun fire (or whatever), don't feel pain if a non-critical part is damaged, don't get tired, don't have IR signatures when turned off, don't need sustained food supply when not in use, can handle extreme temperature or humidity conditions better if well built, don't care about viruses, parasites or whatnot, can be standardized with swappable parts, and could deliver much more strength than any living creature if designed that way.

Quote from Racer X NZ :...
RHex climbs in rock fields, mud, sand, vegetation, railroad tracks, telephone poles and up slopes and stairways.

???
Quote from Keling :
As for machine vs animal, machines can
and could deliver much more strength than any living creature if designed that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr-wBpYpSfE
well, this one cane bare 100lbs...
Traditional army horse had on his back:
- saddle - 40kg (80lbs)
- supplies load - 80kg (160lbs)
- soldier and horse (food) equipment - 20kg (40lbs)
total - 280lbs.

Yes, and this all for 100x times lower cost.

If you expect to be treated as a grown up, try reading the posts above yours, not just posting something to support your opinion !

Australian Light Horse. This included my Grandpa, cus Kiwi's were here as well !

"Everything the Light Horse Trooper needed for living and fighting had to be carried by him and his horse, fully loaded these horses carried between 130 -150kgs. They would carry these huge loads over long distances, searing heat, sometimes at a gallop, sometimes without water for periods of 60-70hours at a time. The bond between the men and their horses is unimaginable. Over 100,000 horses went away to war (closer to 130k actually). Only one horse came home."
Then fodder etc.....

FYI, want a cavalry charge that succeded against machine guns and entrenched infantry ?

The Australian 4th Light Horse Brigade which took part in the cavalry charge in the Battle of Beersheba (1917) during World War I are labelled as mounted infantry brigade in popular media, however they were in fact mounted rifles as were the New Zealand Mounted Rifles Brigade which also took part in this battle. Mounted rifles regiments lack the mass of a mounted infantry battalions, as a light horse brigade could only muster as many rifles in the line as a single battalion. Consequently their employment reflected this lack of mass, with the tactics seeking to harness greater mobility and fire to overcome opposition, rather than echeloned mass attacks.

These sword-less mounted infantrymen galloped over the plain, riding towards the town and a redoubt supported by entrenchments, on a mound of Tel es Saba south-east of Beersheba. While the 4th Light Horse Regiment on the right, jumped trenches before turning to make a dismounted attack on the Ottoman infantry (in the trenches, gun pits and redoubts on rising ground), most of the 12th Light Horse Regiment on the left rode on across the face of the main redoubt, to find a gap in the Ottoman defences. These squadrons rode on across the railway line and into Beersheba, to complete the first step of an offensive which would see the EEF capture Jerusalem, six weeks later.[Note 2]

Now, lets get back to this !
REPOST, see above.

LS3 is a rough-terrain robot designed to go anywhere Marines and Soldiers go on foot, helping carry their load. Each LS3 carries up to 400 lbs of gear and enough fuel for a 20-mile mission lasting 24 hours. LS3 automatically follows its leader using computer vision, so it does not need a dedicated driver. It also travels to designated locations using terrain sensing and GPS. LS3 began a 2-year field testing phase in 2012. LS3 isfunded by DARPA and the US Marine Corps.

-
(Boris Lozac) DELETED by Boris Lozac
Quote from Racer X NZ :Now, lets get back to this !
REPOST, see above.

I din't know LS3s are to be rode by marines on their back...
LS3 cavalry...

Interesting idea :scratch:

:lol:

btw. one week pony knows how to follow Smile

Yeah, so enough political $#!*, lets get back to jokes. And I like the IT ones, cus IT is often a joke Smile

Your sense of humor is as good as your conspiracy theories Smile

Quote from Racer X NZ :

The one shot down by separatists looked like that:

Didn't know you became pro-terrorists activist.
Although I am not surprised... all soviets are.
I don't thing that's what he ment, AndRand
-
(dfgjkl) DELETED by dfgjkl
Genius!
How low can you go?
Quote from kars19 :How low can you go?

Did you learn welding on your everyday car's suspension mount? :lol:
LLAP - not funney
once seen cannot be unseen...

"Nothing unusual. It's just Russia."
Russia is not a country, it is a MINDSET

Any theory for the two windows?