The online racing simulator
@5tag: ???

It´s offtopic but I think it´s a Mayor problem in several forums.
English is not our mother language, if we aren´t crown in Britain. Last week I read an article, why (German) Global Managers are so often misunderstood. It´s because we all have different cultures and these are mirrored in our language.
We germans translate it often 1 to 1, and that’s where the dog is digged (for example). I don´t mean that there is a grave of a dog, I mean that´s sometimes the reason, why we are so often misunderstood.

An example from the article:
We germans translate 1to1:
"We want to ask you to come for our conference in somewhere."

Britains would say:
"We would love to welcome you to our conference."

If you would translate the english 1 to 1 to german and tell it someone in germany, it would sound like an invitataion to a Christofer Street Day Gay Party.

The article (only German):
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/kar ... -bam-per-e-mail-1.2090002

I hope I could clear some disaccors
Quote from Be2K :In my opinion Westhill wont getting into a public test. All Tracks were directly published within S1 / S2.

I think there will be a test version before it goes official. See the quote from lfs.net:
Quote :We expect to release this version for testing in a few weeks, but remember that sometimes interesting things can come up that make things take a little longer than planned.

Quote from Scawen :Thread open again.

One month since the start of this thread, how time flies!

It's all going well, not only with the Oculus support but also I've been doing some slight graphical improvements and helping Eric with some editor updates (though he needs more).

I'm getting to the end of the first stage of Oculus Rift DK2 support, aiming for a full version at the end of the week. Eric has continued filling the gaps and improving and adding features around the Westhill track.

I do still have to work full time, with Eric, on support for the highly detailed track so there are still a few weeks to go.

Right now you might like to try Test Patch F7. There are some slight graphical improvements, mainly related to the mipmaps of some alpha test textures, which, on some tracks, used to go very dark on the edges in the distance. That small fix obviously isn't going to make a huge difference, but more interestingly there is a new texture loading system that resaves the file if it wasn't saved in the most optimal format. As a result, track load times are much faster after the first load. In the case of custom texture packs, the load time decrease can be surprising! And it even speeds up the default supplied textures. Thanks to Daniel CRO for demonstrating this speedup with his external test program.
https://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=86202

Quote from Flame CZE :I think there will be a test version before it goes official. See the quote from lfs.net:

ah okay, then i missed this part. Anyway i'll hope to see it soon cant wait :>
Quote from GrandlHuber :We germans translate it often 1 to 1, and that’s where the dog is digged (for example). I don´t mean that there is a grave of a dog, I mean that´s sometimes the reason, why we are so often misunderstood.

A public viewing of new Westhill would be nice.
I hope the new tires get released bald.
Scawen has become an ocolus rift, now he is is hardly working on LFS.

Thank god for the DK2 support for LfS already! It's the only sim on the market with support for it yet. It's brilliant! stop moaning LFS has been the first to include new technology. Don't see that as a bad thing (I'm biased because I have the new tech myself though)
Quote from Be2K : Anyway i'll hope to see it soon cant wait :>

You can, you are the one which talked about.
Quote from kimd41 :I'm pretty sure it won't, because stuff first appears in Test Patch and later added on official.

Quote from Be2K :I think scawen will post an update report again for Westhill when his supported Version for Oculust Rift V2 is getting published by the end of this week/next week. As he said, Westhill isnt finished and it is still in development. He focused more on the VR Thing while the Test Patch Forum was open so it wasnt their primary task for 0.6G

In my opinion Westhill wont getting into a public test. All Tracks were directly published within S1 / S2.

Quote from Flame CZE :I think there will be a test version before it goes official. See the quote from lfs.net:

True, so Westhill for next TEST Patch, this one is 3D, VR and somes graphicals improvements.
i know its a long shot but im asking anyways

scawen you and erik have any plane to make a "cruise" only map? some fictional city totally open or something?
Quote from giannhsgr1 :i know its a long shot but im asking anyways

scawen you and erik have any plane to make a "cruise" only map? some fictional city totally open or something?

I think that South City, updated so that all the interior (and some exterior) roads connect properly, would suffice.
again? : Facepalm:
I'd suggest just following the usual pattern;

1) ask for content update
2) content update gets announced
3) be patient
4) and even more patient
5) content update gets released
6) -COMPLETELY- play it to death, one, two weeks full stop. Lock yourself up, don't go to sleep.. Be sick from school
7) Bored
8) ask for more updates
9) demand for more updates
Bonus mode; demand a refund

Don't move 8 to position 4.
#388 - col
Sounds great Scawen and thanks for the update.
Quote :Bonus mode; demand a refund

**** this , years of waiting just for updated track ?
we should all ask our money back and let this game die , the devs are playing us , they didnt do shit for all those years
come on !

Anyway, when we paid, this means we had unlocked contents => I do not think we have been conned. S1 and S2 contents have been delivered.
We would have paid for S3 6 years ago, and the devs would claim they do not want to release it, then why not asking for a refund ... I think it is far from being the situation, isn't it . Especially if you have a look to the statements made "recently"
-
(pasibrzuch) DELETED by Scawen : not good
I guess he didn't expect to get banned for this joke.
Quote from Rappa Z :I think that South City, updated so that all the interior (and some exterior) roads connect properly, would suffice.

That would be nice.
Why the name "Westhill" anyways? Is there some significance to using that particular name for this track? Was the name pulled out of a hat?
Was an old Clint Eastwood movie blaring in the background at the time of deciding to name the track? Is this the place where one of the devs "got lucky" at after a Frankie Goes to Hollywood concert? Where'd the name come from?
Quote from Flotch :come on !

Anyway, when we paid, this means we had unlocked contents => I do not think we have been conned. S1 and S2 contents have been delivered.
We would have paid for S3 6 years ago, and the devs would claim they do not want to release it, then why not asking for a refund ... I think it is far from being the situation, isn't it . Especially if you have a look to the statements made "recently"

I find it hard to think of being conned or ripped-off. I don't think think the devs mislead about much as far as what comes with the licenses you buy.
Based on my severely limited knowledge of video game making, I am a bit clueless why S3 isn't already out
and a ...sequel to LFS isn't in the works at this time, but that doesn't mean I was conned. Hell, when I got S1, I didn't really know anything about S2 or S3 other than it was additional content to be released in stages. Also, when S2 came out, it seemed to be a bit more than what I was expecting to come from it. So no. I don't feel ripped off.
To be honest, I would go ahead and "throw my money away" on an S3 license, but if I did that, Murphy's law would come into play and I'd wind up needing that money for something more immediate.
LOL that, or they'd FINALLY release S3 a couple of days after I died. I'm getting old. I gotta take that into account, you know.
Quote from Racer Y :Why the name "Westhill" anyways? Is there some significance to using that particular name for this track? Was the name pulled out of a hat?
Was an old Clint Eastwood movie blaring in the background at the time of deciding to name the track? Is this the place where one of the devs "got lucky" at after a Frankie Goes to Hollywood concert? Where'd the name come from?

I kinda hope one of those reasons is true because wouldn't that just be hilarious.
How is the good work going?
Really good, I think. Definitely a much later release than we expected but some of the things on my list for the Westhill patch moved into the Rift support patch. For example the new alpha system which allows much better looking trees and other objects with transparency, you can try out right now in Test Patch 0.6F9:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/86202

Eric has been continuing to work on Westhill and we want to get that into testing soon. I hope to release the new full version with Rift DK2 support next weekend, so that I can focus 100% on the additional support for the Westhill version.

So it looks like a few weeks. Strangely enough that is what we said when we first announced it. But on Eric's side, Westhill moved onto another level since that announcement and on my side, the DK2 support turned out to be a bigger deal than expected. All good though, apart from the later release.
Keep up the awesome work! You guys are doing great, quality is really what matters when you are about to release new content!
glad to hear this ^^
Is it still not the time for vid around Westhill national ?
This thread is closed

Progress with the Westhill version
(525 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG