The online racing simulator
Update...
Scawen, you really need to update the info on Oculus Share to DK2 compatibility!

PS, LFS is now rated second!

/om
I'm trying...!

Really need to just get the DK2 support to a "finished" state then we can put up a version G, then update Oculus Share. In my opinion, a test patch doesn't really count.

A few more bugs to get rid of...
another update coming .....great!
Okay, I tried F6 last night, and man. MAN.

Been a rift user since the DK1 first came out. I'm a huge proponent of VR in general, tried all kinds of stuff, iRacing with the DK1 included... and so far the DK2 has been really neat but no one has really done it 'right' yet.

Last night was the first moment where it really became obvious that another threshold has been crossed. I got into the raceabout and it just felt natural. I no longer felt like I was compensating for hardware. I put it in gear, revved it up, slipped the clutch, and pulled out of the pits... and it felt like driving a car.

Scawen, your work has paid off. This is phenomenal. After putting around on smaller courses with some of the lighter cars most of the night, then I jumped in the F1 car at Westhill. WOW. The sense of speed is ridiculous! Adrenaline rush!

Thanks so much for sticking with this. It's so completely worth it!
Hi-res texture packs
For those owning a Rift and wanting to enhance their LFS looks a bit, here are links to a couple of decent texture packs for LFS.

Since normal users can't register at the OR forums, I hope some people notice it here as well.

Make sure to back up all original files.

LFS Database Hi-Res Pack
All-round texture pack - tracks, car interiors, skins, suits, menus etc.
Download (full) | Download (demo)
Extract files to LFS/data.

Higher-Res Track Textures Volume I - by Electrik Kar
This pack covers the Aston, Blackwood, Kyoto and Westhill tracks.
Extract files to LFS/data/dds.

The Revolution Pack December 20th,2012
Better textures of the Fern Bay track.
Download

I hope it helps.
It would be so nice if developers somehow co-opreated with these lads who made excellent textures. For example they could mention the community-created textures somewhere in LFS.net?
Quote from Flame CZE :For those owning a Rift and wanting to enhance their LFS looks a bit, here are links to a couple of decent texture packs for LFS.

Since normal users can't register at the OR forums, I hope some people notice it here as well.

LFS Database Hi-Res Pack

Download

I hope it helps.

You should have also linked Daniel-Cro's LFS Texture Converter that helps speed up the loading in game of these hi-res textures.

Or maybe the authors of these texture packs should update by putting their textures thru the converter first then re loading online for future users.
Quote from Tresch :Thanks so much for sticking with this. It's so completely worth it!

Thank you, and all the other people, for the feedback and encouragement on this little project of supporting the DK2.

Quote from Flame CZE :For those owning a Rift and wanting to enhance their LFS looks a bit, here are links to a couple of decent texture packs for LFS.

Thanks, I've posted a link to your post on the LFS thread at Oculus.
do these texture packs make much difference in the dk2 ??
(noticeable)

Scawen

-Thankyou for showing me that the dk2 is fully capable of replacing my monitors and for such a great experience
Texture mods are definitely noticeable with the DK2. A lot of the car interiors are nearly 10 years old now, so third party textures can do wonders to refresh them.
downloading !

......the stream of data joy never ends with LFS !!!!
Awesome.

Thank you Flame!!!
Quote from Tresch :Okay, I tried F6 last night, and man. MAN.

Been a rift user since the DK1 first came out. I'm a huge proponent of VR in general, tried all kinds of stuff, iRacing with the DK1 included... and so far the DK2 has been really neat but no one has really done it 'right' yet.

Last night was the first moment where it really became obvious that another threshold has been crossed. I got into the raceabout and it just felt natural. I no longer felt like I was compensating for hardware. I put it in gear, revved it up, slipped the clutch, and pulled out of the pits... and it felt like driving a car.

Scawen, your work has paid off. This is phenomenal. After putting around on smaller courses with some of the lighter cars most of the night, then I jumped in the F1 car at Westhill. WOW. The sense of speed is ridiculous! Adrenaline rush!

Thanks so much for sticking with this. It's so completely worth it!

That sounds so damn cool Thanks for sharing.

LFS Database Hi-Res Pack

Download

I hope it helps.

I installed these packs but after a reboot I lost my speedo and rev counter in all vehicles with analogue dials. I just did a fresh install of LFS to fix the issue. Has anyone else had this problem or know which file could cause the issue?

Running windows 7 64bit and a gtx 780.
worked fine for me

although I had to manually drag & drop the files,
(so I hope everything is active !?!%#?! )

couldn't find the "installer" that the instructions referred too
The original links to the installer files are down and no backup links could be found.

I have updated the installation instructions in the first post.
Another video by GamerMuscle. He really looks terrified of the walls at South City This could be a really good advert for LFS+Rift haha

http://youtu.be/jD7Z47NgNwQ
From the LFS thread at OR forums:
Quote from RiftXdev :We need a VR server really for all of us who bought an S2 license but don't seem to pass the 'experience' checks for the majority of the current multiplayer servers. It seems most of the online community in LFS at the moment don't really want to play with anyone who hasn't played it for years and amassed this 'LFS experience' requirement.

Which is a pity because then the only way you can race anything other than the slow cars is to race the AI. The AI is fun to race but you can't overtake how you normally would in a sim, i.e. on the racing line. You can't really overtake into a corner either unless you're doing it off line. If you attempt to 'sneak up the inside' the AI will ram into you even if you're in front of it. It's a shame the AI is on rails like this otherwise it'd be alot more fun.

On one hand it's a shame that these people aren't allowed to race on most servers, because of the experience checks by AIRIO. It is good to have those checks, so you won't get people jumping on track with no experience whatsoever and causing crashes, but at the same time it discourages those who might have some experience and are cautious, but simply are new to LFS. But it's up to the server admins after all.

Edit: It's actually quite strange when he says that most servers have such limitations. At least cargame.nl and many demo servers don't have such experience limits in general. Cargame.nl have experience (and safety rating) limits based on the car you select. So for instance, you can drive the XFG and XRG, but you must have driven some laps to be able to drive the GTR cars there. Maybe that's what he meant.
There are even couple regular events,where are no experience or skill requirements - as long as you're clean and troublefree racer,you're welcome to RTFRi (check my signature) and I'm pretty sure that the same applies also to Torsdagsrace.
Quote from Flame CZE :....Cargame.nl have experience (and safety rating) limits based on the car you select. So for instance, you can drive the XFG and XRG, but you must have driven some laps to be able to drive the GTR cars there. Maybe that's what he meant.

I fully get your point about inexperienced drivers on servers, but unless you're allowed on them and allowed to race some of the faster cars, and therefore against some of the other drivers, you're unlikely to get far. Especially the more populated servers, most of which seem to have Aario, and an experience rating.

I've driven a lot of laps on Aario servers over the years, and have experience of 700 and rating of 82% (not sure if that's good or bad), but at best, I'm limited to about a dozen cars, none of which are GTR, but most times I'm on Aario servers I'm actually limited to XFG and XRG only.

Not only do you find yourself going round by your lonesome, and therefore not getting much in the way of wheel to wheel / door to door racing experience, this results in you getting lapped by everyone who is in a GTR, and other fast cars, and gets old fast.

If I can't get to race some of the GTR and other cars, not surprised newcomers decide to not bother and then give negative reviews.

There used to be a time when inexperienced players joined a server, people would give them time, advice and sets to help, but now it's everyone just wants to get points of one sort or another, and they complain if you get in their way - sometimes even when you've moved off the racing line when blue-flagged.

My advice to these newcomers is to vote with your feet, and try other servers, especially ones that don't have experience ratings, and rack up some experience on these, whether they be race, drag, drift, destruction derby's, autocross or cruise.

In fact give all these events a go; some you'll love, and some maybe not so much.

You can also get involved in LFS in other ways apart from being on track, by running servers, programming, skinning, layout making, etc.
Attached images
LFS Rating.png
Quote from Eclipsed :There are even couple regular events,where are no experience or skill requirements - as long as you're clean and troublefree racer,you're welcome to RTFRi (check my signature) and I'm pretty sure that the same applies also to Torsdagsrace.

Yup.
Also http://www.absolute-beginners.nl has no requirements either.
At www.cityliga.de there are no rules with regard to speed, the "worst" that can happen is that you have to start in slowest grid.
At some events that have requirements (like at [FM] Fox Friday championship )one could ask for exception and I think rarely would entry be denied...
The only requirement usually is "do not wreck other drivers", which is to be expected as common sense.
Personally I would like to race against some rift-users, to see how good it works...from the videos against AIs or on demo-servers one can not tell so much. So I hope they find their way
LFS picked up the deserved #1 spot today at Share.
Bought DK1 for $250, sold it for $400 and today I bought DK2 for $380, will arrive next week. So basically, I got paid $20 to upgrade from DK1 to DK2, I don't even...

Well, I hope DK2 won't be making me sick as much as DK1 did.

Oculus Rift Users - please rate LFS at Oculus Share
(204 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG