The online racing simulator
Post your phone
(403 posts, started )
Quote from mrodgers :

If I was to upgrade and go out and get the latest and greatest like everyone else, it would cost me $1000 for the phones themselves, $144 to activate them, and for the lowest I can see, $200/month.

ln what paralel universe are those prices? I just paid 40 euros for Nokia Lumia 520 and like 8 euros per month. For that i get 120 minutes, 500 sms and unlimited internet..
Isn't 'murica even cheaper in those things?

edit: ok just realised you multiplied evertything by 4, but still..
what did he mean by activating phone? And yeh, phoning and interneting is uber expensive in murica it seems...
I got my SIII Mini for around 35€ I think and we have a plan for the whole family (4 of us) and we pay around 80€/month.
Quote from -NightFly- :what did he mean by activating phone? And yeh, phoning and interneting is uber expensive in murica it seems...

North American cellphone carriers are the biggest purveyor of wallet rape in the world.
Next month I'll buy a new phone, I have a Nokia N8 since 2010...

I like nokia toughness, all phones I had until now, were nokias

My N8 fell from my hand while I was riding a bike on the road, it got lots of scratches, but everything works perfectly, and the screen is intact:

I absolutely loved the nokia N8 in 2010, and I still love lots of things about him (for example the camera, the amoled screen, the clock on sleeping screen...) but it's hardware got obsolete really fast, 680mhz and 256mb of RAM is just too low, It freezes like for a second every message I receive or send, and stuff like that...

I love to take pictures, I took almost 2000 pics with the N8, so it would be logical to buy a lumia 925 for example, it's nokia, it's tough, it has a good camera, amoled screen with clock on sleeping screen...

But I'm not only tired of the slowness, I'm also tired of the lack of programs, games and emulators...

My girlfriend has a nokia 710 with wp7.8, and we are disappointed with it, it's a good and fast cellphone, but it also lack apps, games, emulators, and the ease of use is not very good compared to the N8...

For example, if you plug the 710 on your PC, you can't put or get anything inside the cellphone without ZUNE, while with the N8, you can, you also can turn off your N8 and plug on the USB, and it'll work just like a pen drive, you don't have a file manager on 710, and other stuff that limit what the user can do...

I don't like to be limited by the OS...

Well, so, I like what nokia used to be, but I don't like windows phone for various reasons, so I'm thinking about getting a android...

I'm thinking of S4 or HTC one,

the S4 is cheaper, but also feels and looks cheaper with all that plastic, but it's smaller than the HTC one, even with a larger screen, it has a amoled screen, and great hardware

the HTC one is a bit more expensive, but it's very pretty, and is aluminium just like my N8, it also have a great hardware, and probally isn't as fragille S4 is...

what do you guys think?
Samsung phones are actually pretty though, had my Samsung monte fell from a 7 meters on the concrete from there into water. went down, colllected the pieces, dried it for a half day and besides few scratches it was working like before. But S4 and One are both good ones, couldn´t decide myself.
HTC all the way. It just feels so much better in hand compared to Samsungs slippery plastic, much tighter build quality too.

Also I wouldn't rate the AMOLED screen above IPS-LCD. Sure it really blows up colors to max saturation, but it's not calibrated and has a much shorter lifespan.
Quote from Matrixi :HTC all the way. It just feels so much better in hand compared to Samsungs slippery plastic, much tighter build quality too.

Also I wouldn't rate the AMOLED screen above IPS-LCD. Sure it really blows up colors to max saturation, but it's not calibrated and has a much shorter lifespan.

If you don't intend keeping the phone for 10 years, then the lifespan of the screen doesen't matter, but speaking of lifespan, S4 has a removable battery.

In my eyes removable battery cover is a plus in few ways, first, you can actually replace the battery if needed(and if you drop the phone in water, you can remove the battery too), also, if you drop the phone, if the back cover pops off, then the phone doesen't absorb all the impact in itself, but some of the impact force goes through the phone by popping the battery and battery cover off.

Also, if you drop the phone, the aluminium will most likely get scratched nasty(or even dented), but if you drop a plastic phone, the scratches aren't as noticable.

-NightFly-, I still have my monte, monster battery life, I remember getting 2 weeks on it once.
I don't mean the screen will stop suddenly working one day, AMOLEDS just degrade over time and start looking worse and worse as you'll need to push more voltage to the screen to compensate for aging. Then there's of course the permament green tint that AMOLED pentile screens suffer from, compare one next to a regular RGB matrix IPS-LCD and the difference is huge. Readability in bright daylight isn't very great either with AMOLEDS, LCD will be much brighter in sunlight.

You're right about battery, and it's a shame modern phones are moving to "non-replaceable" batteries. That said, if you want to change the battery in a HTC, you can still do it. Just need a few tools to pop the screen off and then you can change the battery. The phone will most likely be outdated before you'll need to do that however, such is the rate of progress in modern day mobile devices.

If you treat your phone like you hate it, then plastic is propably a better option. I try to take good care of my high end phones as they're so damn expensive, but it will depend on how you use yours. In average day-to-day use, if you don't drop your phone all the time, aluminium is a much nicer solution than plastic as it feels so much better and tighter.
Quote from Matrixi :I don't mean the screen will stop suddenly working one day, AMOLEDS just degrade over time and start looking worse and worse as you'll need to push more voltage to the screen to compensate for aging. Then there's of course the permament green tint that AMOLED pentile screens suffer from, compare one next to a regular RGB matrix IPS-LCD and the difference is huge. Readability in bright daylight isn't very great either with AMOLEDS, LCD will be much brighter in sunlight.

with lipos losing considerable in capacity after about a year the one will be unusable far far quicker than any noticeable screen aging can take effect on the s4
Quote from Specht77 :
Well, so, I like what nokia used to be, but I don't like windows phone for various reasons, so I'm thinking about getting a android...

Those things you mentioned are fixed on WP8, phone acts like a usb drive, or you can install a program for file transfers, it's not zune..

Check out my opinions about WP8 and Lumia 520 in this thread and ask me if you have any concerns..
Yes it has it's limitations but Android on the other hand is 'too open', if you know what i mean, and because of that every app and settings screen is a cluster fu*k because of gazillion options, 90% of them unnecessary..
It works randomly, it has random stutters and lags etc, sometimes to get into SMS it takes 6 seconds and that's including the high-end phones..
On Windows everything works the same pretty much ALL the time, that's what i love so much, yes the Twitter app or the gallery might not load in half a second sometimes, but like a tenth of a second slower, but that's never measured in a whole second, or even more, how it tends to randomly lag on Androids..

Also if you don't buy the Nexus device, every manufacturer puts his own 'skin' on top of Android and that's always a mess, not just visually but if you don't root it and clear all that mess it will not work like it should have..
Quote from Boris Lozac :Also if you don't buy the Nexus device, every manufacturer puts his own 'skin' on top of Android and that's always a mess, not just visually but if you don't root it and clear all that mess it will not work like it should have..

Not true anymore.

Also I wouldn't doom the entire Android system to lag just because you had a god awful Wildfire. Use any mid to high tier phone and it'll be just as smooth as iOS and WP.
Quote from Matrixi :
Also I wouldn't doom the entire Android system to lag just because you had a god awful Wildfire. Use any mid to high tier phone and it'll be just as smooth as iOS and WP.

I'm not offcourse, that would be pointless. My brother has HTC One V, which is also godawfull, but couple of my friends have some of the higher ends, they are smooth most of the time but it does happen that the simplest of tasks tend to lag or freeze for no reason at all..
Quote from Boris Lozac :Also if you don't buy the Nexus device, every manufacturer puts his own 'skin' on top of Android and that's always a mess, not just visually but if you don't root it and clear all that mess it will not work like it should have..

Quote from Boris Lozac :I'm not offcourse, that would be pointless. My brother has HTC One V, which is also godawfull, but couple of my friends have some of the higher ends, they are smooth most of the time but it does happen that the simplest of tasks tend to lag or freeze for no reason at all..

You went full retard man. Never go full retard. You're acting far worse than any Apple fanboy I have ever seen.
And no, I'm not saying it just because I have an Android, but because every phone I had worked fine. The Androids I have had or seen were all unrooted and I have never heard complaints about them being laggy or shitty or ugly if they were used properly. I have also seen a HTC One X that runs slower than HTC Explorer, so I'd say you don't know how to treat a real phone and you obviously don't deserve to have one.

Quote from Matrixi :Also I wouldn't doom the entire Android system to lag just because you had a god awful Wildfire. Use any mid to high tier phone and it'll be just as smooth as iOS and WP.

Amen to that.

Yeah, i'm aware of that, I went to a store here, and tried one S4, and even with 1.9ghz quad core, it wasnt even close to be smooth when changing homescreens, I couldn't believe what i was seeing, My N8 with 680mhz is faster than that, it certanly need rooting...

but still, even if they fixed the USB thing on WP8, they still didn't put a file manager inside the phone, did they?

and, it still have a huge lack of programs and stuff, and even if for a miracle people started doing games and emulators for wp8, lumia 925 probally woudn't be able to run, due to it's dual core 1.5ghz processor adreno 225 GPU, and 1gb RAM

I don't have a idea what that guy over there is talking bad about amoled, My N8 is 3 years old, and the screen is perfect
Well a classic file manager no, you can access photos, music, videos, ringtones etc.. For the apps, check the store, most of them really are there. Google Talk (hangouts) just doesn't work as on other systems unfortunately..
And what's wrong with that lumia 925 specs? WP8 doesn't need 16 cores to run, the thing with it is that my L520 (512mb ram) works almost completely the same as top end WP8's for most of the everyday stuff, offcourse not for Halo and other games you will never play on a phone probably..

Google, Youtube is your friend, find stuff out, ask here if you can't find certain things, i've actually owned Android for 3 years too unlike many haters here that never saw WP phone in person
Quote from Specht77 :I don't have a idea what that guy over there is talking bad about amoled, My N8 is 3 years old, and the screen is perfect

"The biggest technical problem for OLEDs was the limited lifetime of the organic materials. One 2008 technical report on an OLED TV panel found that "After 1,000 hours the blue luminance degraded by 12%, the red by 7% and the green by 8%." In particular, blue OLEDs historically have had a lifetime of around 14,000 hours to half original brightness (five years at 8 hours a day) when used for flat-panel displays." Wikipedia

Pentile AMOLEDS aren't perfect even when they're brand new as they have a permament greenish-blueish hue (and it's a shit technology altogether) but have it your way.
never had any problem with greenish blueish screen, and My N8 have it's amoled screen turned on for 24/7 for 3 years, and is still prettyer than lumia 710, milestone3, iphone 4s....
I hate those stupid tests and reviews, they're almost always different from real life use..

Recently i've read that you shouldn't discharge li-ion batteries to low percentages then charge it, but better to charge them when they're at 40, 50%. Complete bullshit.
My 2 previous phones had li-ion batteries and i always put them on charger when it's critically low, like under 10, 5%.. and their capacity was the same as when i first bought them..
just rooted my droid 4, revisiting the question: what now?

im pretty sure i have asked here before, but now im serious and willing to do whatever to make it better.

is there something to tell me what i really just did, and how to use it to its fullest? i understand i have access to the root files on the phone, but im not sure what that really means.

what should i do? i want improved speed, looks, and battery life. anything else is kinda a bonus.
Just returned from holiday, and got to use my Lumia 520 for another month. I'm still very happy with it. It's a wonderful phone, although I'd like a bigger screen. Maybe the 920 isn't a bad idea after all since I'm loving Windows Phone 8.
samsung galaxy s4 overclocked to 2.0 ghz with a quad core :)
why would u OC?!
ive got a S4 as well, its got plenty of juice by default.
Quote from logitekg25 :just rooted my droid 4, revisiting the question: what now?

Now you're the master of your phone or something like that

Only point i ever saw in going through that hassle is enabling those apps that won't install on SD card to install.. because internal storage on most Android phones is pathethic.
Boris my dear, the reason why android doesen't run smooth on a HTC ONE V isn't the fault of android, one reason is the phone specs, 512Mb(My old LG P500 has the same amount) of ram for example, but the biggest problem is the HTC's Sense UI, it's heavy on phones, especially on low spec phones.
My Nexus runs stock android, as smooth as you csn imagine, just because it isn't filled with bloatware.

Logitek, why did you root in the first place, people usually root for a reason, not because it's cool or something, you know you can catch a STD this way

Post your phone
(403 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG