The online racing simulator
Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
I found it quite a decent improvement, cars get unsettled much easier then before if you hit a kerb.

The Tuned 370z feels like it has cmfort tyres on though where as the normal 370z feels really grippy.
Turning off the ABS makes a big difference, ABS to 1 changes things too much considering that is the lowest setting...

The changes actually make throwing the Leaf around quite fun, something that GT5 would not be able to do.

A video I made abusing the cars and physics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apA7rZxWad4
Looks like they finally started using your roadgoing setups, CoolCol! :-) Wasn't it you that made those waaaaaay back?

Loks really good in replays at least.
Quote from atledreier :Looks like they finally started using your roadgoing setups, CoolCol! :-) Wasn't it you that made those waaaaaay back?

Loks really good in replays at least.

Not me

The suspension physics could use more springiness though. Looks too damped
Quote from CoolColJ :Not me

The suspension physics could use more springiness though. Looks too damped

So wait a minute. The setup on the 370Z was stock right? If that's the case, visually the body roll the car is going through is way overexaggerated. It litterally looks like the wheel is rubbing the fender well on cornering and when braking hard (I didn't even know a 370z could squat that low.)
yeah the boidy roll is abit overdone.. espcially in the 370z. as stock its a very stiffly set up car and would never roll around that much.
Quote from Scatter :So wait a minute. The setup on the 370Z was stock right? If that's the case, visually the body roll the car is going through is way overexaggerated. It litterally looks like the wheel is rubbing the fender well on cornering and when braking hard (I didn't even know a 370z could squat that low.)

I believe the one without the spolier is stock
It returns to neutral much too fast, compared to a real car
Compare 1:00 of my video under braking to the real thing at 5:10 in this video - real thing is much more springy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo7MoX_Fuds

This is a tuned track car and it rolls quite a lot, just depends on hard you drive it
The short sharp turns we do in games will make the cars roll a lot more

How's the physics of the leaves, do they gently roll on the track..
Quote from Boris Lozac :How's the physics of the leaves, do they gently roll on the track..

There's a few trees on Autumn ring that shower leaves like rain
Quote from Dennis93 :Sorry to ask, but what aspects of that 350z is tuned?

Suspension

Still you find lots of cars rolling a lot when driven really hard with tight turns

Roll discussion going on here too? damn....

Street car with way overgrippy tires will roll more than on your commute. No magic, no borked physics, just more roll than you are used to.
Once the folks have a chance to create setups, I want to know whether brake release oversteer has been done away with. Have always thought it to be super unrealistic but the time trialers all seem to rely on it to nail slow tight apexes.
Physics testing with the GT-R this time.
It doesn't roll as much as the Leaf and 370z

Surprisingly neutral and agile, grippy, yet easy to drift thanks to the tricky 4WD system. It does donuts as easy as a RWD. All a first for a GT-R in a GT game, unlike the understeer heavy days of yore

Sunny day at Silverstone looks great. Suprised how long the tyre marks stay!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH010vLrkDQ

Also when the tyres heat up, they stay heated for far longer
Quote from Mattesa :Once the folks have a chance to create setups, I want to know whether brake release oversteer has been done away with. Have always thought it to be super unrealistic but the time trialers all seem to rely on it to nail slow tight apexes.

Not exactly, its a combination of braking and jabbing the handbrake at the same time.
Quote from CoolColJ :Physics testing with the GT-R this time.
It doesn't roll as much as the Leaf and 370z

Surprisingly neutral and agile, grippy, yet easy to drift thanks to the tricky 4WD system. It does donuts as easy as a RWD. All a first for a GT-R in a GT game, unlike the understeer heavy days of yore

Sunny day at Silverstone looks great. Suprised how long the tyre marks stay!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH010vLrkDQ

Also when the tyres heat up, they stay heated for far longer

GT-R is the one car i feel like hasn't changed tbh.

With body roll less profound in it, it basically handles eaxctly like GT5, probably a bit more rearward then standard but i usually set my GT-Rs to handle like that anyway
the suspension rebound is way too fast and too good in the GTR vid, basically the car gets upright in an blink of an eye in a linear rate and stops perfectly at the original height.
Quote from Mustafur :Not exactly, its a combination of braking and jabbing the handbrake at the same time.

I don't think the handbrake has anything to do with it. My deduction on this is based on trying the setups posted on GTP by people with decent lap times and looking at the telemetry on replays. I don't think it's that way intentionally but it's there. A well timed brake release gets the the car rotated enough to not push wide, yet not get sideways, and lets you get on the gas sooner.

I myself am not fast and can't do it with with any consistency but when it does happen it's awesome.
Quote from Mattesa :I don't think the handbrake has anything to do with it. My deduction on this is based on trying the setups posted on GTP by people with decent lap times and looking at the telemetry on replays. I don't it's that way intentionally but it's there. A well timed brake release gets the the car rotated enough to not push wide, yet not get sideways, and lets you get on the gas sooner.

I myself am not fast and can't do it with with any consistency but when it does happen it's awesome.

It depends on the corner though, i myself know how to do it as you mentioned but there is even more gains to be made with the handbrake.

The slidy effect is exaggereted with users that use controller though, because they have much more sensitive steering most of the cornering is a complete drift.

The key to the lap times has less to do with the way the corner is.manged and more to.do with how early you can get grip off the throttle.

The Braking technique you mention is required in becketts and Maggots for a good time though.
I haven't noticed it in the 370z...(yet?) but what I'm talking about on GT5 feels like full on snap oversteer upon release of the brake (in setups that do it). Noticeable on medium speed corners... say entering the last corner on Tsukuba.

My stance on this is that it never ever happens IRL.

Maybe we're still not talking about the same thing.
Quote from Mattesa :I haven't noticed it in the 370z...(yet?) but what I'm talking about on GT5 feels like full on snap oversteer upon release of the brake (in setups that do it). Noticeable on medium speed corners... say entering the last corner on Tsukuba.

My stance on this is that it never ever happens IRL.

Maybe we're still not talking about the same thing.

Yeah i thought you were talking about GT6.

On GT5 the snap oversteer is ridiculious when you are trying to drift, but racing wise after a bit of experience its quite easy to avoid, GT6 the cars are already noticably easier to drift and the snap overateer is much less profound.

The setting up of snap oversteer is usually the result of a diff setting but we will see how GT6 is once we can play with the set ups.
I've always found the GT-R to be really really strange to drive in gt5 and also in gt5. It's like the drivetrain is switching between awd and rwd randomly. Once you get it to slide it goes into rwd mode and when it is gripping it is awd. It also has this really strange snap rotation thing which makes it really unpreditable to drive fast. When you rotate it into a turn you never know whether you get power oversteer, snap oversteer or neutral turn in... Literally every real life test says it should drive really well but I think it drives like bag of moldy snakes in gt.
Enthusia is (so far) the only game that properly simulates the Attesa drivetrain. It's a complete joke in GT, it feels pretty much like constant 4WD with way too much understeer than it should have.
It's not possible to really simulate it unless Nissan divulges their proprietary algorithms controlling how torque is distributed.

Hence I have no interest in driving cars like the GTR in a sim. Same goes for Ferrari cars and their fancy ediffs. A dev can't simulate that because it isn't physics. It's someone else's code.

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG