The online racing simulator
LFS on Steam - Poll
(247 posts, started )

Poll : Should LFS be sold on Steam

Closed since :
No, LFS should not be sold on Steam
Yes, LFS should be sold on Steam
Quote from Fordman :

A simple place to download, we have that already?

Yes but can you tell me where the advertising for LFS is?..

Dont worry, i'll wait.. :rolleyes:

Quote from Beaver08 :so dumb

My signature proves that comment to backfire a little, dont you think? After all, it is true.
I've cleaned this thread from last night's garbage run and I've applied infractions where necessary.
I am a Steam user, i have a lot of games, and my computer does enable me to play most of the modern games easily.

That said, Steam would offer new ways to connect with other people directly on their server, for example. Or to organize an event.
Even modding (skins etc) could be supported by steam workshop, making applying a mod easier.

On the other hand, i believe making LFS efficiently supportive of Steam's API would require more time of Scavier, may result in a increase of the cost, and for people who run LFS on a low end computer, having to deal with steam and the game may not be that good (while i do believe Steam is very light, even for low ends).

On the fact that one requires 512 mB RAM while LFS requires 256 mB, don't forget that it's based off the standard installation. Using mods and high resolution textures on tracks/cars would increase that rapidly, and Steam is a modern program with modern features (and stylish) so it's to be expected nowadays.

My take on this...i really don't know. Keeping the same way as it's allways been is a safe bet, because there is already a solid community for the game.
And Steam might become a gamble, so i believe sometimes it's worth the shot. If LFS gets S3, then it might be a good time to "Steamize" it.
I don't really see a reason why not
I don't see why not.. if anything it would bring more new users and a bit advertising.
As long it's not steam-only I have no problem with it since I wouldn't use it.
+1
Getting LFS on Steam in it's current state wouldn't really be beneficial, with the exception of more players.

Now why do people think more players automatically means more noobs? There are plenty simulators on Steam.
Quote from Zipppy :Getting LFS on Steam in it's current state wouldn't really be beneficial, with the exception of more players.

Now why do people think more players automatically means more noobs? There are plenty simulators on Steam.

If it can bring some decent people too that may be worth giving it a try isn't it? I mean usually people that can't control the car in LFS becuase that's not need for speed doesn't stay long but usually people that are able too spend some more time. Would just be a way to get more player so yeah the drawback is having more noobs but I don't think it will bring more noob as a percentage.
After releasing new physics it would make sense to get in steam.
Before just don't make sense to get new people in already slow paste of development
Quote from Jazzka :After releasing new physics it would make sense to get in steam.
Before just don't make sense to get new people in already slow paste of development

Good point
Quote from The Very End :Yes!

The more the merrier.

Couldn't agree more!

Only problem is that you don't buy the game, but a license. So how would that even work trough Steam?
Quote from JSHuiting :Couldn't agree more!

Only problem is that you don't buy the game, but a license. So how would that even work trough Steam?

If you read most/all EULA's for software/games and even Steam's agreement.. They are the same. You never ever actually "buy" a game, you only ever buy a licence to access said game. Operating Systems are also the same.
EULA's may not be enforceable in certain countries, especially when it comes to transferring rights. and there's certainly debate within the EU over the matter. Steam's own T&C's mean that they have complete control over transfer via their distribution system, and this is an area that seems to supersede any local laws. ie Applies in the country of origin.

I've come a little late for the poll, but I would have voted no.

It seems the poll reveals that it shouldn't happen, and my reasons are these:

1. The Steam model doesn't seem particularly applicable to LFS, and doesn't appear to offer any benefits for distribution over the current system of ingame updates when online.

2. The finance model would mean that less revenue would actually go to the developers. There appears to be some special arrangements with Valve though, and Bohemia Interactive Studios have recently entered into such an agreement with Arma III

3. Not everyone wants Steam. I bought HL2 when it came out, only to find I needed a persistent internet connection to play. This was before offline mode was introduced, and it put me right off. I took it back, and have never played it since. This was despite me being an utter HL series fanatic.

I have only just signed up to Steam to be able to play Arma III, and this was after much soul searching whether it would be of use to me. That's not to say that I hate Steam, in fact it's a good business model and works for some, but it's not for me as a whole. The BIS agreement means that I can pay the developers directly for full revenue (purchasing via Steam means they take their slice) - the game is activated and updates are distributed through Steam only. There is no Steam requirement for single and multiplayer however. I understand the particular reasons for BIS to team up with Steam, but I don't like it, and would be very upset if LFS was to follow suite.
Steam is just an another link between game publishers and users that sucks money,pretty much a parasite. I bought Civ5 couple weeks ago in game shop in a DVD,I had to download steam,install it,register in it and a 400MB Civ5 update before I could play it - there was no game executable file in that disc! And on DVD itself wasn't a single info about these requirements. It was pretty painful for someone,who has a 5GB monthly data limit on internet connection with new laptop and a lot of downloads and installs before. So someone without internet connection would have been wasted money by buying such game. So of course naturally I evolved hate for these parasites. I miss those good old times when you buy a game,install it from disc and play right away without some additional installs/mandatory registrations (except you want online gameplay,which also can be solved differently).
Of course a big fat NO in poll from me!
Quote from dawesdust_12 :If you read most/all EULA's for software/games and even Steam's agreement.. They are the same. You never ever actually "buy" a game, you only ever buy a licence to access said game. Operating Systems are also the same.

Then why would Valve consider distributing LFS if the licenses are sold by the LFS devs? You would download the demo from Steam, just to buy a license from lfs.net?

Unless Steam and LFS accounts would merge this wouldn't work, or make Valve any profit whatsoever.
Quote from JSHuiting :Then why would Valve consider distributing LFS if the licenses are sold by the LFS devs? You would download the demo from Steam, just to buy a license from lfs.net?

Unless Steam and LFS accounts would merge this wouldn't work, or make Valve any profit whatsoever.

the same reason why they do it with other games
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :the same reason why they do it with other games

Well i'm glad that LFS is not on steam yet.

Just imagine what would happen if the servers were filled with casual gamers, crashers and full time demo users.
Steam offers a lot of cool stuff to people wanting to publish games.

LFS already has all that cool stuff. A purchasing system, in-game content download, auto-updates, friend tools, community tools, etc. Can someone name a tool or service LFS would get that hasn't already been developed in-house?

As some have said that being on Steam would get more people into the game... why do you say that? It's true many people have never heard of LFS, but appearing on a list of games for sale on Steam doesn't seem to be the logical way to get the word out.

Rather, once the game is done, some minor publicity would be perfect. Even then imho word of mouth is the best way to get the kind of people in who should be...

I have Steam for natural selection 2 and I always get a good belly laugh when it says "downloading patch 0/47MB completed". I mean... 47MB. apart from a small taskbar menu and a few HTML screens, what am I supposed to be downloading? could it be... advertising material?? hahaha
Quote from JSHuiting :
Just imagine what would happen if the servers were filled with .. users.

One can dream
I can only buy a game via Steam,
I don't like Steam, but I didn't have any other choice,

...using Voucher for Steam Wallet, because I don't have credit card or Paypal yet.

I love LFS,

I'm NOT looking for Nordschleife or Spa Francorchamps,
nor Porsche or Ferrari...

I only wanna have a good feel of car simulation.

Now I'm stuck in the best game demo ever...
There is the voucher principle for LFS too (somebody buy it for you and send the code)
No... better idea is to advertise game through social media, like facebook, twitter instagram etc.... or by google ads.... this steam thing is memory and graphic too consuming....
I seem to have answered no to the poll before, but today I would totally vote yes. Sure there would be more newbies, but atleast it would also bring much needed life to the community.

Steam doesn't have to be the only place to buy the game either, DCS sell their flight sim modules on their website that you can download from there, redeem them to Steam, or simply buy them directly from Steam.
Edit: Wrong thread sorry.

LFS on Steam - Poll
(247 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG