No, LFS should not be sold on Steam
Yes, LFS should be sold on Steam
I'd say yes...
Anything for some more players again...
#152 - Jsm
Quote from Deejayyaj :Oh really??? "which uses it for a video"

a source code of Steam
<div class="flash_ctn">
<div id="movie_80497" class="highlight_flash_player_notice" style="display: none; padding-top: 200px;">
<p>You need to have a specific Flash Player installed to view video content in Steam. Please follow <a href="javascript:GotFlashPopup()">these directions</a> to get the right version for Steam.<br><br>You will need this Flash player even if you already have the latest player for your default web browser.</p>
</div>
</div>
<div class="video_info_bar ">

so whats your deal? go with LFS over Steam or NOT? thats poll deal here.

I probably should have been more clear, I meant that no page displayed by default (which appear to be loaded as soon as you load steam) uses flash.
The only pages on the entire steam site that use flash are specific store pages, and that is only for video. Flash does not actually run unless you start the video mind you.
Quote from Jsm :I probably should have been more clear, I meant that no page displayed by default (which appear to be loaded as soon as you load steam) uses flash.
The only pages on the entire steam site that use flash are specific store pages, and that is only for video. Flash does not actually run unless you start the video mind you.

Why even waste time debating on that topic...people are just hating Steam because it's something to hate on.

God forbid a company have ads for products they are selling on their own "Store" page...infact, how dear they even have images in their store. IMO all webpages should be purely txt so that my Lynx browser would stop having issues...let's not forget that you can completely avoid seeing any of that colorful mumbo-jumbo by never clicking on the "Store" tab...

Anyone with a negative viewpoint about this doesn't have any FACTS that back their OPINION...quite silly...
#154 - LJF
1. You can't start Steam in offline mode, you must start in online mode and then switch over.
2. Steam is required to run the game.
3. Steam is DRM - I'd argue a fairly intrusive one but it's marketed as a "service" (which it is).
4. Steam is an evil monopoly
5. Steam is not viewed in a negative light because of how widespread it is, if 10 years ago I told you you couldn't play your game unless you installed third party software and connected to the internet and updated your game you'd probably be more than a little angry. However nowadays with games like MW2 being exclusive to steam (who were then able to jack the price to 90USD) just about everyone has it and doesn't bat an eyelid at all the downsides - which have become "services".

Besides, it's up to the devs whether it's' sold on Steam, I hope not but it's not my choice
Uh LJF. You only need to start steam ONCE in online mode, then swap to offline. After that you can launch it offline as much as you want.
#156 - Jsm
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Uh LJF. You only need to start steam ONCE in online mode, then swap to offline. After that you can launch it offline as much as you want.

Oh is this how it works. I have been annoyed with this for like the last 7 years every time my internet has gone down and I have wanted to play a game.
and the award for longest D'oh! moment goes to....
epic.
Quote from LJF :1. You can't start Steam in offline mode, you must start in online mode and then switch over.
2. Steam is required to run the game.
3. Steam is DRM - I'd argue a fairly intrusive one but it's marketed as a "service" (which it is).
4. Steam is an evil monopoly
5. Steam is not viewed in a negative light because of how widespread it is, if 10 years ago I told you you couldn't play your game unless you installed third party software and connected to the internet and updated your game you'd probably be more than a little angry. However nowadays with games like MW2 being exclusive to steam (who were then able to jack the price to 90USD) just about everyone has it and doesn't bat an eyelid at all the downsides - which have become "services".

Besides, it's up to the devs whether it's' sold on Steam, I hope not but it's not my choice

...you're first 3 are incorrect and your 4th and 5th are, again, opinion...not facts.

If you're mad about DRM then be pissed at the devs for making you activate LFS. Kind of hypocritical?
Quote from Homeless_Drunk :...you're first 3 are incorrect and your 4th and 5th are, again, opinion...not facts.

If you're mad about DRM then be pissed at the devs for making you activate LFS. Kind of hypocritical?

1000times This^^^^.

I am surprised that people arn't complaining that they can't play online without being forced to have an internet service, or that they are forced to install Windows because LFS doesn't run on their Commodore C64's.

And this whole 3rd party software thing is a joke anyway these days. Almost any game you buy, whether off Steam or not, has additional DRM on top anway, like EA games needing an account, GTA4 needing GFWL installed and so on and so on. By comparison, Steam only is a fairly benign DRM system.

Steam is not a monoply by any stretch, other services exist such as Direct to Drive, and if a game is sold only on Steam that is down to the publisher not Steam.

Still waiting for all these downsides???
Shocking support service and questionable price practice(by publishers not Steam) I will agree to, hmm, occasional bugs, and Steam overload at major release dates about all I have trouble with.
How is Steam being DRM a downside?
Quote from rpmmatt :1000times This^^^^.

I am surprised that people arn't complaining that they can't play online without being forced to have an internet service, or that they are forced to install Windows because LFS doesn't run on their Commodore C64's.

And this whole 3rd party software thing is a joke anyway these days. Almost any game you buy, whether off Steam or not, has additional DRM on top anway, like EA games needing an account, GTA4 needing GFWL installed and so on and so on. By comparison, Steam only is a fairly benign DRM system.

Steam is not a monoply by any stretch, other services exist such as Direct to Drive, and if a game is sold only on Steam that is down to the publisher not Steam.

Still waiting for all these downsides???
Shocking support service and questionable price practice(by publishers not Steam) I will agree to, hmm, occasional bugs, and Steam overload at major release dates about all I have trouble with.
How is Steam being DRM a downside?

...imagine if LFS implemented the 'Steam Cloud' so that your setups and configs where the same no matter where you logged in. But...I guess that's a negative thing too.

People disliking something just to dislike it...complaining about prices...that isn't steam's doing...that's the greedy developers who produce the games screwing their customers...

I think it's bull!@#$ that I have to use the internet to download LFS, it should magically be beamed to my computer with science magic. You know what else? The fact I have to be on the internet to use this forum is also complete rubbish...

FACTS > OPINION
What's with all the steam hating here . Haven't had any issues with it so far, it also has some useful features that i like...There was a thread about steamsales on offtopic when people seemed to love steam (or at least they were happy about prices)...but that was mostly because of the holiday sales...now they are over and the hate/troll mode is on again. Actually i was the one who were on "rage-mode" about steam because americans got a BFBC2 a lot cheaper than europeans and to think of it now, it was a good bargain either way...
Quote from rpmmatt :Your proof of this????????????????

no proof yet, but it will happens.

Most of the games at Steam are for mainstream, LFS isn't a mainstream game in my opinion.
ask yourselves why isnt iRacing in steam?
Quote from ColGaddafi :ask yourselves why isnt iRacing in steam?

The same reason World of Warcraft is not in Steam.

I don't know, how would it be any different if it was? The safety rating system would be the same, the punishment for bad drivers would be the same.

I think people forget, the average gamer is closer to 30 than they are 15. If your think that Steam has no older responsible players, then your an idiot. Yes you have your Call of Duty/Counter Strike games, but then you have games like Red Orchestra and Darkest Hour, which have a very mature community. Your just tarring everyone with the same brush, either because your ignorant or because your an elitist prick.

I have had no trouble playing crasher free on LFS, because I join a server where I know people sort out the wreckers. If half the people in this forum moaning about wreckers, put some effort in to sort it out and admin the servers correctly, this would be a non issue. Fix your own house before you start labeling 3 million people as crasher noobs.

PS, In my opinion you sacrifice all right to make an comment on maturity when you think its amusing to name yourself after someone who is bombing innocent civilians.
Quote from TuRBuLEnZ :no proof yet, but it will happens.

Most of the games at Steam are for mainstream, LFS isn't a mainstream game in my opinion.

Could it be the same reason you have not stepped down and run off to venezuela yet
Quote from TuRBuLEnZ :Most of the games at Steam are for mainstream, LFS isn't a mainstream game in my opinion.

Eh. Take a look at Railworks, which is so "mainstream" that it has ~$900 eur worth of DLC's, and some nerds people own all of them.
-
(Inouva) DELETED by Inouva
Quote from rpmmatt :Your proof of this????????????????

Maybe I'm a bit late but seeing your registering date nothing like that happened to you.
When Y patch was released as of Dec 2007, then a lot of demo people bought S2, because there was no more XRT in demo. That time half of the players were noobish, and it was not possible to manage a public race anywhere, cause you were surrounded with new S2 players, who knew no rules.
Quote from Kristi :Maybe I'm a bit late but seeing your registering date nothing like that happened to you.
When Y patch was released as of Dec 2007, then a lot of demo people bought S2, because there was no more XRT in demo. That time half of the players were noobish, and it was not possible to manage a public race anywhere, cause you were surrounded with new S2 players, who knew no rules.

I don't see why it would be any harder to admin a server?

And it seems like you are asking for no new players to ever buy this sim as they would all be to nooby for you? How sad. I guess people were only allowed to be noobs in 2006.

Tell you what, why don't you just put an experiene limit on your server and let other people who arn't arrogant prats provide servers for newer players?
I'm asking for new players but when people from Steam buy the game, that are completely new to the game and get straight into the S2, don't expect much from them but crashing. And so, when I bought S2 in Dec 2006, I was already through 4 years of demo!!

EDIT : You can get the hang of this game in a month or two, but please don't let people into S2 straight, without getting that month of experience.
You can already buy S2 with no experience.

Oh I dunno.. maybe because...

THEIR ENTIRE GAME IS BUILT AROUND THE WEBSITE?

LFS on Steam - Poll
(247 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG