The online racing simulator
LFS on Steam - Poll
(247 posts, started )

Poll : Should LFS be sold on Steam

Closed since :
No, LFS should not be sold on Steam
Yes, LFS should be sold on Steam
Psysim you seem to just be here to stir up arguments. I suggest you stick to your own advice. "Some people have the right to an opinion, others have the right to remain silent."

That is all.
Well its just my opinion. Oh and my signature is just a dig at some people on this forum, I think you misunderstood it. I don't think the steam idea is ever going to happen anyway. Its not about sturing in the forums either, its more about the fact that people don't read a thread.... people assume, I never said anything about low spec pc's, I never said anyone didn't have a right to an opinion either.....

You knock me for compairing 400 fps on blackwoods to 200 on southcity, it was clearly ballpark and making a little correction on the 400 to 0, but I don't see that being knocked.

It would make lfs different to how it was when I paid for it, which would disapoint me deeply, one thing that was attractive about it was the lack of need for anything else, it runs independently and that is nice. I think it would be a sellout to put lfs on steam as much as it could be if it was sold to a large game developer.
I don't think anyone here has suggested making Steam compulsary. You can easily have Steam sold games and LFS website sales kept seperate, without impacting the game or separating the community.

Many games today are purchased on Steam and retail, (Bad Company 2, Call of Duty etc), both versions can be played together with out any issues, and for certain games retail customer could integrate their CD keys to Steam anyway to get the benefits. Selling this game on Steam would be no different to selling it on Amazon or your local Game store, it just so happens that Steam is a popular purchasing platform with huge number of customers.

And to Psysim's point, how would the game change? It would change in no way what so ever, the issue you point out is non existent. No one would force you to use Steam, thats not how Steam works. Also, it wouldn't be a sell out at all, a lot of indie game developers use Steam to distribute as it has a massive audience, and they maintain their indie status.
Quote from rpmmatt :You can easily have Steam sold games and LFS website sales kept seperate, without impacting the game or separating the community.

Thanks for clearing that up, I understood different tbh, but never mind.

I don't want to knock what you said too much, but I think Steam and Independent are a contradiction in terms. I still worry for the exposure of lfs to a less serious following, afterall, lfs users overall, when on track (in s2 at least) are quite respectful and take it as the serious simulator(/me thanks the devs) that it is. That is a 'change' I wouldn't like to see.
Psysim, mind showing us how your desktop looks like? One sentence of yours made me very interested
Not really, but could you be more specific, Desk desktop or Windows desktop? And I would assume the computer I use for LFS? I am not even going to question why, out of sheer morbid curiosity, ok...

Edit: I made the assumpton, you wanted to see the desktop of my LFS setup, well not much to see, but here it is....
Attached images
desktop.jpg
Quote from Psysim :Not really, but could you be more specific, Desk desktop or Windows desktop? And I would assume the computer I use for LFS? I am not even going to question why, out of sheer morbid curiosity, ok...

Edit: I made the assumpton, you wanted to see the desktop of my LFS setup, well not much to see, but here it is....

Are you one of those people who refuse to drive a car unless the air vents are all lined up exactly?
Going off topic a bit but:

Here's mine form a couple of years ago, sort of stuff I normally have running in the background.

Messaging stuff, Teamspeak, usually some sort of media be it music, film or TV, Steam obviously, torrents normally downloading with bandwidth limiting so I can game with low ping and some performance monitoring. Oh, and normally steaming to one or more devices over my home network. To be honest, it might cost me some FPS, but probably not enough for me to notice, and this is the sole reason I own a PC, because it can do all this and more(and my PC is far from top of the range anymore). I can see you point about dedicated a machine to a particular task, but, I don't really see the point when my machine is capable of so much more. I can't see how getting 10fps more in LFS would benefit me, unless I was only getting 20-30 to start with. I guess we just see PC usage from other ends of the spectrum.
Quote from rpmmatt :Are you one of those people who refuse to drive a car unless the air vents are all lined up exactly?

What were you expecting? A desktop smotherd with rubbish? If I had posted such a thing, I am sure you would of smacked me in the face with it. I use this PC souly for LFS. And to answer the questing, no, the direction of the vents would not bother me one bit, a load of rubbish in the footwell would

fair enough you like the clutter, thats your choice, I don't see the desktop of my LFS rig, it loads LFS on start and thats all it does, for all my other needs, I have other PC's. I will admit, I build a desk for racing, so the PC is not really suitable for day to day use, no place (other than my lap) for a keyboard or mouse. Yes, its just different views and choices of use, I'll put my hand up and say that desktop does not reflect my other PC's, but i still keep them fairly trim.

I am not sure what the limit of my FPS is, I have never really tried in LFS, I limited it to 50, although we can see at approx 100fps (aparently) I guess it comes down to not pushing everything at full speed.
See my edit above, I wouldn't hate you for rubbish on your screen, my desktop is like my physical desktop, overflowing and organised in a way that makes sense only to me.

The serious point being I guess, not everyone dedicates a machine just to this sim, so I can see in your case Steam would be a pointless annoyance. For others in a more conventional setup, another background app is neither here nor there.

Like was said earlier, all this is moot point anyway but for someone who has come to this sim late in its life, its seems a shame such an obvious way to boost numbers is overlooked. Just seems a shame as this seems to be the best sim in my opinion. Tried iRacing, and its feels like an overpriced reskin of Nascar 2003, and seems to lack a lot of features this has. rFactor I couldn't find a game half the time without scrabbling round for 50 mods to just get on server. All this sim lacks is players, shame a lot of people seem upset by the idea of getting some new blood.
Yes, I think we were posting/editing at the same time!

More would always be good, as long as its quality, as long as the mentality is 'looking for a simulator' rather than 'looking for a game'. It would just be nice to think people find LFS while looking for a simulation rather than a game as I think it encourages a more serious attitude.
Quote from Psysim :Not really, but could you be more specific, Desk desktop or Windows desktop? And I would assume the computer I use for LFS? I am not even going to question why, out of sheer morbid curiosity, ok...

How come you have Realtek Audio Manager running?! It consumes 1.5 MB of RAM!!!
Now really, don't be a pathetic 'im looking for a reason to flame' tard. When you asked to see my desktop I knew it was going to be a reason to do exactly that. Reason? because if I didn't, I would have TeamSpeak (yes I do use it) coming out of the speakers with the LFS sound thats on a second sound card, enough of an answer? I would assume you have audio drivers....

Really, your being a ****tard!
Quote from Psysim :Reason? because if I didn't, I would have TeamSpeak (yes I do use it) coming out of the speakers with the LFS sound thats on a second sound card, enough of an answer? I would assume you have audio drivers....

lol, get windows 7
Quote from E.Reiljans :How come you have Realtek Audio Manager running?! It consumes 1.5 MB of RAM!!!

Damn, that was very lame from you, i was expecting something like this since you asked hin to post a pick of his desk....

And I thought you have changed and start to like your "new" actitude, and you prove me i was wrong...
Quote from GianniC :Do you even know what Steam is? It's like super easy to use, gives a lot of exposure to less known games, allows easy friendlist useage and you simply minimilize steam when playing. There are no flash ads or other at all involved.

I only see benefits to the game.

I know what STEAM is.. I have some games over Steam.
Flash Ads? and what do you call a game that has a BUY option changing from 1 game to another game info? Isn't that some called commercial game ads in steam that are built in flash or web flash?
Flash causes a lot of memory usage, specially video mem usage. In this case, my answer is... Im pointing to some specs of PC that Steam is sometimes hard to generate because of low system specs or internet connection traffic and I've experienced that using in my old lappy single core XP home ed 2gig mem running in a 1.6ghz and LFS runs 25-30 FPS just the LFS no other prog running. Steam uses 80%K and when minimized 60%K of memory usage, so minimizing the Steam while playing LFS will cause sometime not too much lags but still. Now if you're going to say upgrade the PC then, I have another 2 lappy which is i3 and i7 which will I think and probably runs well LFS over Steam.
Now what if some LFS user still uses single core? you want them to spend another dollar just to upgrade for high end PC to run LFS over Steam?

I like LFS to be that way. Easy to contact the devs, One click for the game and no more opening another program to play on it, You can also add friends at LFS World and notify you where are your friends playing.

Isn't LFS a friendly user in that way?

That will be my answer for you GianniC, and that's my own opinion voting NO for LFS over Steam.
#120 - Jsm
Quote from Deejayyaj :
Flash Ads? and what do you call a game that has a BUY option changing from 1 game to another game info? Isn't that some called commercial game ads in steam that are built in flash or web flash?

None of the web pages displayed in steam (such as the store page) use flash (apart from one page which uses it for a video).
-
(E.Reiljans) DELETED by E.Reiljans
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :why the ****? I'm actually feeling for the community in this case. Steam would just bring all the retarded 9year old kids in public servers to crash the shit out of others being pissed off after playing CS.
You don't find sim racers from communities like steam.

You clearly have no understanding of what Steam is...you made that quite obvious.

Not sure why there is so much negative bias towards Steam. What I do find is that those who have such extreme hate for it...and it is a childish ranting type hate (see above post)...haven't used it since HL2 was released...and a lot has changed since then.

The mature gaming community is much, much larger than the one that you focus on...maybe that's why you're such a sour puss...because you constantly focus on the negative aspects of something...instead of the myriad of reasons it's positive for LFS and it's community...

So like I said...if you don't want LFS to expand it's horizons and have the community grow with the help of tools that allow that to occur...it's being selfish.

"THIS IS MY TOY AND YOU CANT HAVE IT" ...thats how some of you sound.
the % of wreckers/spoiled kids will remain the same. and if it help increase income for the devs then it would be a good business move. and lets be honest, how many wreckers do you need to have on a server for you to realise that you might be on the wrong server?
wreckers wreck, it's your choice to stay on the same server as them. good servers have little or no wreckers.
LFS moving to steam will have very little affect on the community. this of course is just my opinion.
More people, and more income for the developers sound nice, but I am afraid that we will just get flooded by even more people that will whine about the lack of updates...
Quote from bose321 :more people, and more income for the developers sound nice, but i am afraid that we will just get flooded by even more people that will whine about the lack of updates...

+1
Quote from Homeless_Drunk :You clearly have no understanding of what Steam is...you made that quite obvious.

o rly?

LFS on Steam - Poll
(247 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG