The online racing simulator
LFS on Steam - Poll
(247 posts, started )

Poll : Should LFS be sold on Steam

Closed since :
No, LFS should not be sold on Steam
Yes, LFS should be sold on Steam
And I'd like to add that I think the developers will not change their way of developing. (their, admit it, slow way)
Quote from Bose321 :More people, and more income for the developers sound nice, but I am afraid that we will just get flooded by even more people that will whine about the lack of updates...

the flip side to that is that there will be more people to tell them to STFU. that's why i said the % would still be the same. whether it's 1/10 or 10/100 or 100/1000, the % is still the same.
this is never going to reach a resolution, but dadge has a very good point about the "percents" staying the same.

but the dev's already dont care about the whole "why are there no updates" talk, so even then it wouldnt matter.
Quote from Jsm :None of the web pages displayed in steam (such as the store page) use flash (apart from one page which uses it for a video).

Oh really??? "which uses it for a video"

a source code of Steam
<div class="flash_ctn">
<div id="movie_80497" class="highlight_flash_player_notice" style="display: none; padding-top: 200px;">
<p>You need to have a specific Flash Player installed to view video content in Steam. Please follow <a href="javascript:GotFlashPopup()">these directions</a> to get the right version for Steam.<br><br>You will need this Flash player even if you already have the latest player for your default web browser.</p>
</div>
</div>
<div class="video_info_bar ">

so whats your deal? go with LFS over Steam or NOT? thats poll deal here.
Quote from Deejayyaj :Oh really??? "which uses it for a video"

a source code of Steam
<div class="flash_ctn">
<div id="movie_80497" class="highlight_flash_player_notice" style="display: none; padding-top: 200px;">
<p>You need to have a specific Flash Player installed to view video content in Steam. Please follow <a href="javascript:GotFlashPopup()">these directions</a> to get the right version for Steam.<br><br>You will need this Flash player even if you already have the latest player for your default web browser.</p>
</div>
</div>
<div class="video_info_bar ">

so whats your deal? go with LFS over Steam or NOT? thats poll deal here.

Have we not already mentioned that selling a game through Steam doesn't mean the game can only be bought through Steam. Your whole argument falls down by you assuming that something sold on Steam can only be on Steam.

This discussion is no different to a poll saying should the devs sell on Amazon or Play.com or some other place.

A retail copy of a game can be played on the same servers a Steam copy if the devs choose to have it that way. Please stop spouting nonsense and mis-information.

It would be perfectly simply for the devs to continue to sell via the LFS site for luddites with c**p laptops, and for others you could buy through Steam or any other digital distribution company for that matter. This is a discussion about would it be a benefit to sell on Steam, not a discussion about whether you like Steam or not. The only counter arguments against are "Wahhhh, I don't like Steam its rubbish", or "Steam users will be crashers", both are solved by 1--don't buy on Steam, and 2--Admin your server properly.

Anyone come up with a single other idea against?? Devs would be "selling out" is maybe the only other one I've heard?
^

Well said.
Quote from rpmmatt :Have we not already mentioned that selling a game through Steam doesn't mean the game can only be bought through Steam. Your whole argument falls down by you assuming that something sold on Steam can only be on Steam.

This discussion is no different to a poll saying should the devs sell on Amazon or Play.com or some other place.

A retail copy of a game can be played on the same servers a Steam copy if the devs choose to have it that way. Please stop spouting nonsense and mis-information.

It would be perfectly simply for the devs to continue to sell via the LFS site for luddites with c**p laptops, and for others you could buy through Steam or any other digital distribution company for that matter. This is a discussion about would it be a benefit to sell on Steam, not a discussion about whether you like Steam or not. The only counter arguments against are "Wahhhh, I don't like Steam its rubbish", or "Steam users will be crashers", both are solved by 1--don't buy on Steam, and 2--Admin your server properly.

Anyone come up with a single other idea against?? Devs would be "selling out" is maybe the only other one I've heard?

Didn't you read my 1st and 2nd post? if NOT yet, can you please read it first before you quote me?

They quoted my opinion so I have to answer that in my own and you quoted me also,

so why dont you tell it to the Devs... if thats what you want.

What is this thread for? for Poll right? Poll started because of mixed opinions about selling it on Steam.

Now if you have your own opinion in your own other way then go post it. I will not argue with you in that way because I have to understand whats your opinion all about in this poll.

Quote :This is a discussion about would it be a benefit to sell on Steam, not a discussion about whether you like Steam or not.

whatare you talking about this? It's all the same.... POLL, OPINION, WHETHER YOU LIKE OR NOT, YES OR NO.

Benefit?
for Devs?
how about users?

Now here's another personal issue of mine in Steam: ( I know this will be off topic, I just wanted to share this, for me to have a 3rd answer for you why I don't like Steam)
I've an issue with one of the games I bought on them with CD KEY ERROR and BLOCKED. I sent them an email about the issue and its been 3weeks now that I haven't heard any reply from them. That's also one of the reason why I don't like Steam.

Edit" ""
Quote from Deejayyaj :Didn't you read my 1st and 2nd post? I answered NO

They Quoted my opinion so I have to answer that in my own and you quoted me also,

so why dont you tell it to the Devs... if thats what you want.

What is this thread for? for Poll right? Poll started because of mixed opinions about selling it to Steam.

Now if you have your own opinion in your other way then go post it. I will not argue with you in that way because I have to understand whats your opinion all about in this poll.

Now here's another personal issue of mine in Steam: ( I know this will be off topic, I just wanted to share this, for me to have a 3rd answer for you why I dont like Steam)
I've an issue with one of the games I bought on them with CD KEY ERROR and BLOCKED. I sent them an email about the issue and its been 3weeks now that I haven't heard any reply from them. That's also one of the reason why I don't like Steam.

wanna argue with that also "rpmmatt"

I only quoted you because you seemed to suggest people would be forced to use Steam when this is not the case. I am not sure English is your first language so sorry if I misunderstood.

My opinion is very clear. 100 times yes for Steam, the main reason being Steam would be a good bet to attract more users.
(To respond to your edit) benefit to the community of more players is obvious, more races, more competitions, fuller servers and so on, increased longevity of the sim, Also, there are some very technical people in the Steam community who would likely add and build on some of the fantastic work done by the modders for this sim already. Benefit to devs? Increased revenue I guess, satisfaction of having a more popular product? I dont know ask them, being a dev is outside my area of knowledge.

PS, If the game you have a CD key issue with is not a Valve game, then you would be best to contact the game publisher directly, as they are the ones who issue the keys to Steam in the first place. Good luck getting it sorted.
Quote from rpmmatt :I only quoted you because you seemed to suggest people would be forced to use Steam when this is not the case. I am not sure English is your first language so sorry if I misunderstood.

My opinion is very clear. 100 times yes for Steam, the main reason being Steam would be a good bet to attract more users.
(To respond to your edit) benefit to the community of more players is obvious, more races, more competitions, fuller servers and so on, increased longevity of the sim, Also, there are some very technical people in the Steam community who would likely add and build on some of the fantastic work done by the modders for this sim already. Benefit to devs? Increased revenue I guess, satisfaction of having a more popular product? I dont know ask them, being a dev is outside my area of knowledge.

PS, If the game you have a CD key issue with is not a Valve game, then you would be best to contact the game publisher directly, as they are the ones who issue the keys to Steam in the first place. Good luck getting it sorted.

That's a no problem mate.. I just shared my experience on Steam and I thought you have a prob with that.
I also understand what's your reason on voting YES. And that's your own opinion. I also understood what is this poll about. We all have all different points of views in this poll.

CD KEY issue: I already did emailed them both none of them even replied.. but even not a Valve game still an issue for me. (never mind this personal issue of mine I just shared this, it'll be more off topic to discuss this. Thanks anyway )
i started off being extremely no, but this now has me torn, whether i would want this or not.

i guess the dev's could always keep it there for a month, and see how that puts the communty, and if its worse, they can take it off..
I voted NO.
Im 100% with Psysim and Deejayyaj: I pay for LFS, I want to install LFS and LFS alone, no forced 3rd party application to install that runs in the background. By the way: you will be able to count the endless threads about "Problems with Steam".
At the moment LFS is a small and clean application that does the things right (updates, friendslist,...).
This is a good way to attract more users? Yes, but there are also other ways to make publicity.
Quote from Vultureke :I voted NO.
Im 100% with Psysim and Deejayyaj: I pay for LFS, I want to install LFS and LFS alone, no forced 3rd party application to install that runs in the background. By the way: you will be able to count the endless threads about "Problems with Steam".
At the moment LFS is a small and clean application that does the things right (updates, friendslist,...).
This is a good way to attract more users? Yes, but there are also other ways to make publicity.

Nice job on reading 50% of thread mate.
What makes you think I did not read 100% ?
Quote from Vultureke :I voted NO.

Can't you read???
JUST BECAUSE A GAME IS SOLD ON STEAM DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO BUY THE STEAM VERSION TO PLAY!!!

Please guys, it's important you understand this.
Quote from rpmmatt :Can't you read???
JUST BECAUSE A GAME IS SOLD ON STEAM DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO BUY THE STEAM VERSION TO PLAY!!!

Obviously 90% of people here found out about Steam only after Modern Campfare 2 was released as Steam-exclusive title.
Quote from E.Reiljans :Obviously 90% of people here found out about Steam only after Modern Campfare 2 was released as Steam-exclusive title.

I remember when Steam was known among friends as counter-strike 1.6, when you tried to Google search it and got a website with trains.
Quote from rpmmatt :Can't you read???

Can't you read? I say I don't want to be forced, so I hope we can still buy via the website.
The devs wanted to be independent, well they are now and it works just fine.

Djees....
Quote from Vultureke :Can't you read? I say I don't want to be forced, so I hope we can still buy via the website.
The devs wanted to be independent, well they are now and it works just fine.

Djees....

So that big "NO" you previously stated was based on a misinformed assumption?
No:

* If this would be forced
* The Steam software can give problems that will result in a lot of "Help, problems with Steam...." threads
* I like the idea of the 3 independent devs without mixing them with the Steam community (this is offcourse my opinion)

Yes:

* More publicity = probably a larger community (but is larger always better?)
Quote from Vultureke : No:

* If this would be forced

what's so wrong with steam that you feel that you'd be forced to use it? i bet you're use a lot worse programs out there. msn live?
Quote from Vultureke :* The Steam software can give problems that will result in a lot of "Help, problems with Steam...." threads

and just like the rest of the threads you are not interested in, you do not have to read it.
Quote from Vultureke :* I like the idea of the 3 independent devs without mixing them with the Steam community (this is offcourse my opinion)

this would not change. steam is a distribution method, like B&Q or HMV

Quote from Vultureke :Yes:

* More publicity = probably a larger community (but is larger always better?)

ask a lady

i use steam. i have it installed on my pc. when i play a steam game, the only reason i know it's running is the little (helpful)info box that pops up telling me if my friends are online. another thing i like is that it shows your your regcodes so that you don't need to write anything down. for me, it's the small things steam offers that make the big differences.
i just like it.
this thread reminds me of a joke a comedian used to tell. "Garlic bread!"
How exactly would it be a good idea? I can't see a reason why.

If it gets added to steam, and people won't buy it, it's useless, and I heard you have to send a part of the sellings to steam, too, and if there is no selling at all, steam will still charge the devteam for having it on the store, IIRC

And if it has some people buying it, I would guess majority will be 7-18 kids who will just wreck people on public servers. I can't see anything good in that, and I can't see how that system would work.
Quote from nikopdr :

And if it has some people buying it, I would guess majority will be 7-18 kids who will just wreck people on public servers. I can't see anything good in that, and I can't see how that system would work.

and your Date of Birth is
17th October 1992 (18). are/were you a wrecker? would you call yourself a kid?
Quote from dadge :and your Date of Birth is
17th October 1992 (18). are/were you a wrecker? would you call yourself a kid?

Could call myself a kid still, but i'd rather not get stuck on that simple thing on the post i made.
Quote from nikopdr :Could call myself a kid still, but i'd rather not get stuck on that simple thing on the post i made.

but would you agree that you would be a great example that shows that not everyone in that age group is a kid or wrecker?
Quote from dadge :but would you agree that you would be a great example that shows that not everyone in that age group is a kid or wrecker?

EVERYONE ON THE INTERNET IS A TROLL.

I can't think of any FACTUAL reasons that LFS on Steam is awful. I can think of a lot of opinionated reasons that are backed by nothing but opinions...

Selfish people are being selfish...everyone wants LFS to prosper and grow...Steam is an excellent outlet...LFS isn't ready quite yet...but it's an excellent outlet...

LFS on Steam - Poll
(247 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG