The online racing simulator
Quote from Cornys :Yeah, you'll just need to create another team on the same account

I created a weird named league a few weeks ago and it filled in 2 days like ours did actually

Ok, got it working. Thanks.

This is a private league and we need more people to join. We only have about 6 people.

The league name is NASCAR 2013 Rocks and the password is daytona1. Please join.
Annett seems ok, supposivly bruised his chest. Undergoing ct sans just to make sure it is just that
Just made fantasy selections, no clue what I'm doing. Jr, Stewart, Burton, Almirola and Regan Smith.
a fan in the 45th row was hit. so yea.
I now think that it is safe to say that everybody survived the crash today. ESPN is now reporting that there were only 2 fans placed in critical condition and both of them have been moved to stable condition at this time.

Thank god that type of tandem racing is now completely gone from the Sprint Cup Series. It's been the cause of the two worst wrecks in NASCAR since it was started. It's asks for blocking.

I was glad that nobody celebrated that victory, and I'm glad that that hadn't happened tomorrow in the 500 with a full grandstand.

Hopefully we won't see that again tomorrow. It appeared as though Larson's front end struck a gate in the fencing. I hope that I am correct and that nobody has been hurt.
Quote from Cornys :Thank god that type of tandem racing is now completely gone from the Sprint Cup Series. It's been the cause of the two worst wrecks in NASCAR since it was started.

The other? For some reason I can't remember what you are talking about off the top of my head...

Quote from Cornys :It appeared as though Larson's front end struck a gate in the fencing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVEbO1fheII (check out the slow-mo at :15)

Also, some pics from the crash.

Quote from Cornys :I now think that it is safe to say that everybody survived the crash today. ESPN is now reporting that there were only 2 fans placed in critical condition and both of them have been moved to stable condition at this time.

That would be good. Buisy day for guardian angels, just immagine that engine block not being stopped by the fence but also flying into the stands, then it becomes a second Le Mans '55.
I'm pretty sure Larson directly hit a photographer gate, can't believe I didn't hear a single media person mention that yet. They're fairly unsafe seeing as they aren't reinforced like rest of the fence but I don't think anyone ever expected a car to go through one.
Quote from UncleBenny :I'm pretty sure Larson directly hit a photographer gate, can't believe I didn't hear a single media person mention that yet. They're fairly unsafe seeing as they aren't reinforced like rest of the fence but I don't think anyone ever expected a car to go through one.

Not photographer, but a TV camera opening.

Also, relating to the link of below, some may find this pic a bit disturbing. (It relates to what I said above.)

No need to worry though, he was perfectly fine.

http://i.imgur.com/6kD1gND.jpg
I agree with TFalke, essentially. Yes, it's a shame that people got hurt, but the catch fence did it's job by ensuring that no one died.

I guess they'll reinforce the openings in the fence and then they fan will be completely safe again.
I am currently watching the full race back on DVR because I missed all of it except for the last 2 laps. And, ESPN were saying that "It is a hot day here in Daytona. It has been all week"

*a graphic pops up in the screen showing the current temperature* *it says that the current temp is/was 81 F*

I would like to say, that is NOT hot..... haha. Here in Australia, that is actually quite a pleasant day. Not "hot" at all....
Quote from Rappa Z :I agree with TFalke, essentially. Yes, it's a shame that people got hurt, but the catch fence did it's job by ensuring that no one died.

I guess they'll reinforce the openings in the fence and then they fan will be completely safe again.

That's a stupid line of thinking though for if the fence did its job, then nothing would have gone into the stands.

I thought of Geoff Bodine's 2000 Truck crash when I saw the Busch wreck, and the fence there got torn down, as it did in 87 at Dega.

IMO, they need to spread the cars out more, rather than having one giant pack.
Yea because the drivers are willingly going to not go for the win and thats what the fans want to see! Great solution (facepalm)
I guess cornys is referring to edward's flip, however that was pretty well maintained, plus he was caused by carl's blocking. As we saw weeks later you can flip over at any track when carl forced brad to flip. Thats the old car, however if it happens like in nw where the rear gets lifted it can happen again.
That's what they did in cup. They made the radiator smaller in nw, but it only helps over a distance.
Quote from Mustangman759 :Yea because the drivers are willingly going to not go for the win and thats what the fans want to see! Great solution (facepalm)
I guess cornys is referring to edward's flip, however that was pretty well maintained, plus he was caused by carl's blocking. As we saw weeks later you can flip over at any track when carl forced brad to flip. Thats the old car, however if it happens like in nw where the rear gets lifted it can happen again.

No if the cars are more spread out (be it different power levels or tire wear or whatever) then simply by the laws of physics, any crash is going to be smaller than having everyone in one giant pack. That's just simple logic and science for you.

He hit the top of the wall, why not either move the fence forward to the front of the SAFER barrier, or raise the wall height more?

EDIT: Okay, what the F?

Apparently, now the cars are so safe drivers can survive anything? Some people on the replacement SPEED forums are just stupid with their mindsets.
If anyone could link me a stream for tonight's race, it will be very appreciated
There will be more deaths due to boredome if the pack spreads out. Although making wall height higher may solve it, but I think theres got to be more solutions than that and I am sure NASCAR will think of one
So you're saying that people will die of bordom if the pack is spread out? You're saying the people die of bordom watching every race other than Daytona and Talladega? There's no pack there . I personally am very excited that in the Sprint Cup the pack has been spread out.
Quote from jwardy :Thank you

also try www.racefansonlytv.com

My solution: plexiglass in front of the catchfence. move the spectators back a bit and put a trench inbetween the stands and the fence like so:

Quote from JackDaMaster :also try www.racefansonlytv.com

My solution: plexiglass in front of the catchfence. move the spectators back a bit and put a trench inbetween the stands and the fence like so:

With Kentucky being the newest track in the Sprint Cup Series, it probably is the best as far as spectator safety thanks to the height given to the front row. This means that there are more good seats as well. This really isn't an option for the older tracks though unless they cut away and re-do the entire front grandstands below the top deck.

Fans in the Sprint Tower were also injured though, so it may not have mattered. Plexiglass would be the best solution in my opinion, but not even that will fix everything. So long as the cars travel at a high speed, there will be danger to those who are close to it. It wouldn't be as exciting if it wasn't so. Those fans in the front row would be missing out on the wind and the noise from the cars as well, which is 25% of the experiance unless they find something which doesn't reduce that.

2013 NASCAR Thread for the Rednecks
(1309 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG