The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from tristancliffe :
It always shocks me how bad iRacing actually is. If it wasn't for some clever marketing and some decent track visuals not one person would pay for it.

As former LFS driver and iRacer since 3 months I have to admit, there are few things what are not so good. But iRacing has weekly updates and eventually they will work on them and improve it all better - and for sure you don't need to wait 4-5 years.
It's taken ~4 years to get to the stage of handling that LFS was at in 2003... The weekly updates don't seem to be addressing any of the core issues. I get the impression that it's slightly worse than it was on release.

Besides, I'm currently playing netKar Pro the most anyway. Still need to try rF2, but not holding my breath on that one.
Asetto I can't wait to try!
Quote from tristancliffe :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB5Spwt9UT0

It always shocks me how bad iRacing actually is. If it wasn't for some clever marketing and some decent track visuals not one person would pay for it.

It shocks me so much more that there are plenty of people actually defending that behaviour to the very end and claim it's also possible in real life. It's absolutely amazing how little criticism people can take.
Quote from tristancliffe : Still need to try rF2, but not holding my breath on that one.

Not holding your breath; but you should try it so I can see what you think

I'm not really running anything right now (no time) but I hop into the 370Z over there sometimes for a blast.
I tried the rf2 on old spa with the f1/2/3 cars.

I didnt think it was bad at all.
Quote from tristancliffe :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB5Spwt9UT0

The video is just showing the 2FMSH exploit, what does it have to do with iRacing in general? iRacing knows it, and most of the people driving it knows it's a big flaw in the psychics. The problem is how to solve it with the amount of data they actually recieve from Williams.
2Fm-whathaveyou?
Quote from CrAZySkyPimp :The video is just showing the 2FMSH exploit, what does it have to do with iRacing in general? iRacing knows it, and most of the people driving it knows it's a big flaw in the psychics. The problem is how to solve it with the amount of data they actually recieve from Williams.

It is not just a problem with the Williams, almost every car can more easily be saved by locking the brakes and using the throttle. ABS cars have trouble with it but sometimes it can still work.

People found with data that when the throttle is pressed, even if all four tires are locked, something causes the weight to shift backwards considerably. This should not happen.

Quote from atledreier :2Fm-whathaveyou?

Two foot mash - full brake full throttle.
Quote from CrAZySkyPimp :The video is just showing the 2FMSH exploit, what does it have to do with iRacing in general? iRacing knows it, and most of the people driving it knows it's a big flaw in the psychics. The problem is how to solve it with the amount of data they actually recieve from Williams.

I haven't really read the thread about this on iracing forums but wasn't there a post basically saying this "magic antispin hax" happens even if all four wheels are locked and not just the fronts? If that is the case the problem has nothing to do with data with the car. It is the physics engine itself that has a bug.

A bit like lfs had the high nose aero bug and so forth. Or nkpro had some forces in wrong direction with one of the new formula cars when it power oversteerd. Things happen. Just relatively harmless error in the code. (which can be really hard/simple to fix...)

And as far as I remember there have been countless cars and sims where this magix spin hax works. F2000 in nkpro was the most obvious example I can remember but also most ISI based games with too much drop off had this. The only thing with iracing seems t be that this magix hax works even with all wheels locked...

Haters gonna hate but I'd be willing to bet that the almost same thing happens in lfs as well. So don't get on your high horse just yet...
Quote from MadCat360 :It is not just a problem with the Williams, almost every car can more easily be saved by locking the brakes and using the throttle.

You're correct, good point. I'm unable to do this in HPD but like you said it works on most of the cars.

The physics engine shouldn't be capable of such rubbish in the first place, regardless of what data an F1 team supplies.
I wonder what car he used in LFS as he refers to the V8SC from iR. I think* I could save a FO8 from what Mikko calls a "already gone (high yaw angle)" car by using 2FMSH (if comparing to WF1).

(*anyone with LFS available atm is free to prove me wrong)
iRacing is stating they finally secured the license to scan Bathurst, awesome.
Quote from The Moose :Grats DeKo! Very impressive.

Cheers Moose, just noticed you replied. Means a lot, was a great race.

Bathurst will be brilliant!
Quote from unclebenny :iracing is stating they finally secured the license to scan bathurst, awesome.

this is the best news ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote from AstroBoy :this is the best news ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you manually go through my post and remove the capital letters?
No, just stupid vbulletin.

Ontopic: YASSH!
Quote from CrAZySkyPimp :I wonder what car he used in LFS as he refers to the V8SC from iR. I think* I could save a FO8 from what Mikko calls a "already gone (high yaw angle)" car by using 2FMSH (if comparing to WF1).

(*anyone with LFS available atm is free to prove me wrong)

Shouldn't matter, as LFS has a unified system for all cars (where iR does not). Therefore if one doesn't do it, they all shouldn't do it.

Just tried this on rF2 (have used it on iR and NR2003 before, never in other sims though), and it doesn't seem to work. If I do it on entry into the corner I can stop the rotation enough to save the car from spinning (as the corner rotates). However if I try to do it on exit or in the middle of the corner I just end up stopping the rotation and flying off track or I spin. So in other words it behaves similar to LFS and nKp and not like iR.

And grats to them on Bathurst, now I want driver swaps even more.
Quote from tristancliffe :The physics engine shouldn't be capable of such rubbish in the first place, regardless of what data an F1 team supplies.

And yet, all physical simulation models suffer from problems like this. Even at the highest theoretical level, you're still approximating, and that causes foibles.

LFS has similar rubbish as does nKPro and all the rest.
Maybe.. But its just so blatently obvious in iracing!
At the prices iRacing charge, and with the claims they make about being "the best" it's unforgivable. I know people think I'm mad for having never, ever rated iRacing but it keeps providing evidence that counts against it.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG