The online racing simulator
Skin stealing banter.....
(118 posts, closed, started )
Quote from der butz :Let's get to it in a different way.
The Mona Lisa can be viewed by anyone who pays. You are not allowed to take a picture of it because the flash would slowly destroy it. So what you can do is buy posters and cards with the Mona Lisa on it.

Now if everyone just took a crappy dark shot secretly with his mobile to take a blurry image of the thing home instead of buying a proper sized poster for a few quid, how stupid would that be?

I would be proud if someone would race around with skins I did. Just ask and you get the full thing with your name and racing number! I just can't stand seeing someone's skin stolen, then altered in a cruel way (512x512, then added pixelated audi rings on what once was a great skin) and put on a car mostly used by tools.

greetz

der butz, now leaving for Monza

Pointless post is pointless. No one sells LFS skins. This thread is dead, move on.
#102 - col
Quote from der butz :Let's get to it in a different way.
The Mona Lisa can be viewed by anyone who pays. You are not allowed to take a picture of it because the flash would slowly destroy it. So what you can do is buy posters and cards with the Mona Lisa on it.

You're not allowed to take pictures of it because they make loads of $$$ selling them in the giftshop. And they want to protect this important revenue stream.
Quote :
I just can't stand seeing someone's skin stolen.

Nothing for you to worry about then because using a skin downloaded from lfsworld on your own car is not stealing.
Correct, it is not stealing. Just like downloading the latest and greatest Twilight movie from TPB is not stealing.

I believe the correct term is 'Intellectual Property Infringement' ?
It's ironic how people (edge) call everyone trolls.

Peace
Quote from edge3147 :No one sells LFS skins.

Wrong. I've sold quite a few. Stealing is wrong.
#106 - col
Quote from Bean0 :I believe the correct term is 'Intellectual Property Infringement' ?

Using a skin downloaded automatically from LFSworld on your own car within LFS is fair use IMO not 'Intellectual Property Infringement'.
I think the devs should put out a clear message in the upload interface (with an accept button) that any skins uploaded to LFSworld are fair game. That would make the licensing explicit rather than implicit end all these pointless discussions once and for all.

The only way that I can see that it might be infringement is if you were using a version of the skin downloaded from somewhere where there was a license agreement stating that it must not be used on your own car.

In general, these complaints are hypocritical because most of the skins infringe various commercial intellectual properties - how can you claim something's been stolen from you if you didn't own it in the first place.
Quote from col :It seems clear to me that the act of uploading skins to LFS implicitly give others the right to download and use them as they see fit.
Until LFS includes some sort of DRM, or at least a way of including a copyright licensing notice with each skin, then the idea of skin theft is blatant nonsense. For a skin to remain private, you would have to avoid uploading it.

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

I agree!
We can keep arguing over legal matters of skins for months...but the common sense tells not to use them, especially if author has written on skin that this is private. Think logically for a second now, I upload a skin not because i wan't for others to download it... i upload it because I wan't to show my handwork to other people... Or because i wan't to be noticed as a different/individual/part of a group of somekind...etc.
#109 - col
Quote from -NightFly- :...Think logically for a second now, I upload a skin not because i wan't for others to download it... i upload it because I wan't to show my handwork to other people... Or because i wan't to be noticed as a different/individual/part of a group of somekind...etc.

There are lots of possible reasons, but it's certainly not 'logical' to assume that the person who uploaded the skin doesn't want it to be used. The opposite is true, it would be logical that if they didn't want others to use it, then they wouldn't upload it. For that reason, it is 'logical' to assume that they are ok with it being used by others.

Personally, if I uploaded a skin, I would be very happy if I saw others using it - by doing so, they are basically saying "I think you made the best skin". To me that would be great.
Anyone who thinks its okay to use another persons skin, is just stupid. There is a section on the forum dedicated to skin requests if you want a skin, ask im sure someone will help you make one...
#111 - col
Quote from greg_slideways :Anyone who thinks its okay to use another persons skin, is just stupid.

kindergarten debating 101: "If you don't agree with me, then you're just stupid"
Quote from col :There are lots of possible reasons, but it's certainly not 'logical' to assume that the person who uploaded the skin doesn't want it to be used. The opposite is true, it would be logical that if they didn't want others to use it, then they wouldn't upload it. For that reason, it is 'logical' to assume that they are ok with it being used by others.

Personally, if I uploaded a skin, I would be very happy if I saw others using it - by doing so, they are basically saying "I think you made the best skin". To me that would be great.

Actually for me it is, I ofcourse don't upload it for others to use (other people being able to put them in their own skins folder is just a bad sideffect, but there is nothing I can do about it), most of the skins i have uploaded are either team or eventbased skins anyway. I think it's safe to say that i have never took someones skin and drove around with it. So according to your logic: I like Western Wolves teamskin, i just go to my downloaded skins folder, put it on my main skins folder and go drive around with it on public servers? For me it's not ethical....but that's just me.
Quote from -NightFly- :I think it's safe to say that i have never took someones skin and drove around with it. So according to your logic: I like Western Wolves teamskin, i just go to my downloaded skins folder, put it on my main skins folder and go drive around with it on public servers? For me it's not ethical....but that's just me.

I think this is a different problem. The LFSW interface isn't intended to be used by groups (their support for teams is restricted to an user-fed database and newsreel). Still, in the event of someone who grabs the skin of a team they don't belong to and go driving in public with it, they'd just make clowns off themselves, as all the seven forum users still active in-game know who's in which team most of the time.

As for the original issue of stealing "private", individual skins, I'd like to put it under a new perspective. Think of it like this: we, skin makers, don't really own the rights to any of the logos and trademarks we use when making our skins. This doesn't necessarily mean we're stealing from any companies, because of fair-use and all that. However, that doesn't forbid other people from doing the same and creating, through their own efforts, copies of the original livery - and by this I mean, among other things, grabbing a "snapshot", if you will, of your skin. You'd have to be pretty stupid to call someone a thief for having a skin that's similar to the one you made.

The same applies in this case. We don't hold exclusive rights to your work. In fact, we hold no rights at all in 99% of the time. The fact that someone saved a copy of your skins with the same filename even implies that they aren't looking to claim credit for it, but simply found our work nice and wanted to use it, just like we did when we saw whatever inspired you to create it - the merits of having to start from scratch or not in order to achieve that are irrelevant, even more so because what one might consider as " starting from scratch" is, in truth, the result of somebody else's work - the logos we collect from the web, the pictures we take as source for the overall design, the skin template we use et cetera.
This thread has lasted long enough, to cause yet another firefight on the LFS Forums.

Can it be closed please? I think it already harmed enough.
WMD pCARS
Quote from edge3147 :I'm totally chill, just sick of the trolls here.

Someone needs to put them in their place, and the mods aren't doing it.

So you took the shotgun, cowboy? :grumpy:
OK, enough guys.
This thread is closed

Skin stealing banter.....
(118 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG