The online racing simulator
Skin stealing banter.....
(118 posts, closed, started )
it's evening on this side of the planet. people have tea and relax from a hard day's work.
That must mean you sit there on your beloved country in the middle of the day nagging about other people not going outside. Makes me giggle mate!

On topic: I create maybe 2 skins per year, still I personnally see them as a kind of art I made. So if I wouldn't want people to use my skins I would put some line in the file telling the potential user of the skin not to use it. If I'd catch him I would happily put penisses and donkey poo into some jpg and reupload it under the skins name.

greetz

der quite excited about monza tomorrow butz
Quote from der butz :
On topic: I would happily put penisses and donkey poo into some jpg and reupload it under the skins name.

And doing such, would get you punished because it says nudity and offensive skins are NOT allowed.

Quote from der butz :
it's evening on this side of the planet. people have tea and relax from a hard day's work.
That must mean you sit there on your beloved country in the middle of the day nagging about other people not going outside. Makes me giggle mate!

I have a job and a life, but I do enjoy relaxing inside too.
Quote from edge3147 :And doing such, would get you punished because it says nudity and offensive skins are NOT allowed.

I would happily risk that for the thought that someone who stole my skin was racing around in a stupid skin while feeling cool!
So you say it's totally okay to use a skin someone else made (even if there would be some line written in the dds telling it is a private skin), but it's not okay to make fun of those "thieves"? Isn't that a tad hippocritical?

greetz

der butz, who has packed his bags in the meantime
Quote from der butz :I would happily risk that for the thought that someone who stole my skin was racing around in a stupid skin while feeling cool!
So you say it's totally okay to use a skin someone else made (even if there would be some line written in the dds telling it is a private skin), but it's not okay to make fun of those "thieves"? Isn't that a tad hippocritical?

greetz

der butz, who has packed his bags in the meantime

Did i EVER say it was okay to use someone's skin? Just arguing the other side since everyone wants to bash on the demo racer's.

Also, if you are smart enough to put a disclaimer on your skin, then get a lawyer and go fight your fight with an innocent video game player who is not profiting nor claiming to have made you skin.

Copyright violations usually mean someone stole work you were selling and now you are losing a profit from it.

This is just petty crying because there is someone else on this virtual world that has a car that looks like you.
Can I just make a point: If you don't actually care, why the **** do you care? (No pun intended)
Quote from edge3147 :Because this topic has been covered here MANY times before. AND nobody is trying to profit from LFS skins, therefore your civil case would have nothing to stand on!

Quote from Bean0 :So basically you are saying that anything uploaded to a public area of the internet is fair game to be re-used however people see fit ?

Quote from edge3147 :LOL'd

Yes, hilarious..... What did you spend your day doing then? I actually left my house to do some go-karting with real people

Quote from edge3147 :That's what this topic started out with, or do you not remember your very first post in this topic where you suggested doing this very such act.

Quote :So, someone has stolen your own, hand-crafted skin and is driving around like a n00b on public servers with it. What do you do? Well this guy uploaded a new skin with the same name, highlighting the idiocy of this particular driver as he drives around with what he thinks is a nice skin, when in fact he's driving around in, well, see attached

Quote from edge3147 :Obviously someone does! why do you think this thread started?

NO! They copy and paste the skin they download out of their skins_x folder.
Quote from hyntty :Can I just make a point: If you don't actually care, why the **** do you care? (No pun intended)

I am merely trying to look at it from both sides.
J@tko, You are missing the damn point. USING the skin isnt a violation of copyright laws.

Keep crying, nothing mature that you can do about it.
Quote from edge3147 :J@tko, You are missing the damn point. USING the skin isnt a violation of copyright laws.

Keep crying, nothing mature that you can do about it.

No, it's just plain stupid! I've seen people driving around with skins with MY NAME ON.

EDIT: And it's against the "gentleman's agreement" of not using private skins. I would happily ban someone from a server I owned for using a stolen skin. Maybe others should too?
Quote from J@tko :No, it's just plain stupid! I've seen people driving around with skins with MY NAME ON.

Still nothing that you can do about it. Keep crying.
Quote from edge3147 :Still nothing that you can do about it. Keep crying.

Since when was I crying? I started the thread as a joke, which the vast majority found funny, and I agree that people shouldn't steal skins. Where in the thread have I been crying?
Quote from J@tko :Since when was I crying? I started the thread as a joke, which the vast majority found funny, and I agree that people shouldn't steal skins. Where in the thread have I been crying?

Making the thread implied you were pretty upset about it, then continuing to post when you have been told there is nothing that you can do about someone using your skins.

Sounds like a bunch of QQ to me.
#88 - col
Quote from J@tko :How? In both cases you're downloading something someone has made off the internet.

Images on the web are implicitly licensed for display within a web browser. If you started using them in a different context without permission you might get into trouble.

It is the same for Skins - they are implicitly licensed for use within LFS, so if someone sees a skin that has been downloaded to their LFS and they like it - it's ok to use it within LFS.
It would only be 'stealing' if for example someone started selling T-shirts with a downloaded skin printed on them... or used someone else's lfs skin to decorate their web site, or on a game other than LFS.
Quote from edge3147 :J@tko, You are missing the damn point. USING the skin isnt a violation of copyright laws.

No, it's not a violation of a law. But it's morally stupid.

I tend to use team skins, and if I want to drive "my" car I use pretty much one skin per car. Since I hate the BF1 but wanted a nice skin I saw a Jaguar XJR9 one made FOR the BF1 on master skinnerz. So I registered, asked the guy who made it if I could use it. He was okay with it, I use it. Where's the problem?
Why do people just take stuff?

Quote from edge3147 :Keep crying, nothing mature that you can do about it.

So what about doing something immature to fight fire with fire?

greetz

der can't think of anything more to write into my signature butz
Quote from edge3147 :Making the thread implied you were pretty upset about it, then continuing to post when you have been told there is nothing that you can do about someone using your skins.

Sounds like a bunch of QQ to me.

Dude, someone has replaced an online skin with one that has a penis on it. I may be immature but that's hilarious. I posted that to share it with all the other really immature people on the forum, not because I was pissed off. I know very well there's nothing you can do about it (apart from ban people, which arguably is a way of dealing with it), you just appear to think it's not wrong in any way!
Quote from der butz :
So what about doing something immature to fight fire with fire?

An eye for an eye.
Quote from j@tko :

Dude, someone has replaced an online skin with one that has a penis on it. I may be immature but that's hilarious. I posted that to share it with all the other really immature people on the forum, not because i was pissed off. I know very well there's nothing you can do about it (apart from ban people, which arguably is a way of dealing with it), you just appear to think it's not wrong in any way!

You can only ban them from your server, Scawen and team isnt going to ban them from LFS. So your thread was only to draw attention to yourself and not the actual topic being discussed

its a mother f*****g video game. QQ. Sharing is caring!!
#93 - col
Quote from der butz :
Why do people just take stuff?

In this case, they take it because there's nothing wrong with taking it - it is completely obvious that the skins are there to be used and it doesn't even come into their minds that some over-sensitive baby might have a massive hissy fit as a result, and accuse them of theft - because that would be totally ridiculous.
Edge, be the man of your words and take a chillpill, your nerdrage is starting to look silly now .
Quote from -NightFly- :Edge, be the man of your words and take a chillpill, your nerdrage is starting to look silly now .

I'm totally chill, just sick of the trolls here.

Someone needs to put them in their place, and the mods aren't doing it.
This thread made me ROFL!
go cruise plz
:munching_
Quote from col :In this case, they take it because there's nothing wrong with taking it - it is completely obvious that the skins are there to be used and it doesn't even come into their minds that some over-sensitive baby might have a massive hissy fit as a result, and accuse them of theft - because that would be totally ridiculous.

Let's get to it in a different way.
The Mona Lisa can be viewed by anyone who pays. You are not allowed to take a picture of it because the flash would slowly destroy it. So what you can do is buy posters and cards with the Mona Lisa on it.

Now if everyone just took a crappy dark shot secretly with his mobile to take a blurry image of the thing home instead of buying a proper sized poster for a few quid, how stupid would that be?

I would be proud if someone would race around with skins I did. Just ask and you get the full thing with your name and racing number! I just can't stand seeing someone's skin stolen, then altered in a cruel way (512x512, then added pixelated audi rings on what once was a great skin) and put on a car mostly used by tools.

greetz

der butz, now leaving for Monza
This thread is closed

Skin stealing banter.....
(118 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG