The online racing simulator
Skin stealing banter.....
(118 posts, closed, started )
Quote from J@tko :So, someone has stolen your own, hand-crafted skin and is driving around like a n00b on public servers with it. What do you do? Well this guy uploaded a new skin with the same name, highlighting the idiocy of this particular driver as he drives around with what he thinks is a nice skin, when in fact he's driving around in, well, see attached

1. Sorry about the crappy quality, firstly due to my LFS settings needing to be low to avoid my laptop melting and secondly due to compression
2. I am aware that the skin DEFINITELY isn't allowed under LFS World rules, and possibly a little risque for the forum, but I thought it was worth it for the banter. Please remove if it is found to be inappropriate.

Have to admit that's pretty funny But on other hand very childish You could done it like Jakg rather than using THAT inappropriate pictures.

Quote :Wait there a minute - this isn't my skin. I just saw it online

Oops
Quote from col :However, I think they might be less benevolent if they knew that the likes of J@tka and jakg are claiming ownership.

Wait there a minute - this isn't my skin. I just saw it online
#28 - col
Quote from J@tko :Wait there a minute - this isn't my skin. I just saw it online

hehe sorry, my bad - gotta get up early to catch me in.
nice
This deserves Timo's seal of approval

I mean guys for ****s sake, skins like any art is intellectual property. Much like photos pro photographers take and publish on their website. You wouldn't sue someone for stealing skins, therefore calling them with inappropriate names is perfectly in order.
Quote from Inouva :Are you sure about that?

To be honest, you do actually not drive so well.

Corse is better than you.
I suppose the big question is, does the uploader of the replacement skin get into trouble for breaching the LFSWorld decency rules, as the skin has a badly drawn picture of a cock on it ?
Ernests, here we go again. Why would you care at all?

Travelled distance: 138 Km
Last race information: (04:44 - 17 Jan '11)
Host: FRANCE PRO CRASH

It doesn't seem you race online often, so pretty much noone can steal your skin.
Quote from Sobis :Ernests, here we go again. Why would you care at all?

Travelled distance: 138 Km
Last race information: (04:44 - 17 Jan '11)
Host: FRANCE PRO CRASH

It doesn't seem you race online often, so pretty much noone can steal your skin.

Because I can?
its shadowww, he got ban here so used that account.
Quote from Dennis93 :To be honest, you do actually not drive so well.

Corse is better than you.

No, of course i'm not a good driver, that why in all track combo i'm -1 sec behind of the wr...

And corse was banned no less that 4 times from cargame for bad driving, and you can see the reports on the cargame forum when ppl complain about his driving skill are terrible

In the other hand, i'm a clean driver, fast one and challenging too, so SU if you dont know how i drive
Quote from hyntty :This deserves Timo's seal of approval

I mean guys for ****s sake, skins like any art is intellectual property. Much like photos pro photographers take and publish on their website. You wouldn't sue someone for stealing skins, therefore calling them with inappropriate names is perfectly in order.

Yes, but when you upload it to LFSWorld, you are distributing it WITH your consent to every person that is in whatever server you decide to join.

"Live for Speed has a feature which is called 'Automatic skin download'. Whenever you use a skin online with other racers, they will attempt to download your skin from our webserver."

In plain english to where everyone can understand it. If it is a PRIVATE SKIN, don't use it on a PUBLIC SERVER.
Quote from edge3147 :Yes, but when you upload it to LFSWorld, you are distributing it WITH your consent to every person that is in whatever server you decide to join.

"Live for Speed has a feature which is called 'Automatic skin download'. Whenever you use a skin online with other racers, they will attempt to download your skin from our webserver."

In plain english to where everyone can understand it. If it is a PRIVATE SKIN, don't use it on a PUBLIC SERVER.

I've slightly reworded your quote as follows...

"Web browsers have a feature which is called 'Automatic picture download'. Whenever you post a picture online to be viewed by other web users, they will download your picture from a webserver."

So basically you are saying that anything uploaded to a public area of the internet is fair game to be re-used however people see fit ?
Quote from Bean0 :I've slightly reworded your quote as follows...

"Web browsers have a feature which is called 'Automatic picture download'. Whenever you post a picture online to be viewed by other web users, they will download your picture from a webserver."

So basically you are saying that anything uploaded to a public area of the internet is fair game to be re-used however people see fit ?

You sir, are stupid. Go to LFSworld.net and then go to upload a skin.

That text that i quoted came from the skin uploading window.

See attached picture.

Go crawl back under the bridge you came out from under.
Attached images
Derrrrrrpppppppppppppppppppp.jpg
Quote from Inouva :No, of course i'm not a good driver, that why in all track combo i'm -1 sec behind of the wr...

And corse was banned no less that 4 times from cargame for bad driving, and you can see the reports on the cargame forum when ppl complain about his driving skill are terrible

In the other hand, i'm a clean driver, fast one and challenging too, so SU if you dont know how i drive

Just trying to count the times I've had wiped the floor with you.

But i can't count to that much.
Quote from Victor :We will never ban someone for stealing skins. Skins after being downloaded are saved to your computer and anyone with a bit of search capabilities can figure out how to convert the dds file to a jpg as was previously explained.
It's a fact of life in LFS that skins can be used by others and there is little that we or anyone can do about it. The best approach therefore in general is to keep your nerve and ask kindly of the 'offender' would stop using your skin.

(ps this post is instead of a mail reply)

Quote from S14 Drift :
They aren't stealing it. You are G-I-V-I-N-G it to them. You are uploading it to a service who's sole purpose is to DISTRIBUTE IT.

The connection between stealing a physical item and this is beyond stupid. I'm trying very hard not to berate you more than necessary, but you are making it oh so very hard. I know you probably wont understand this concept, but I'll explain it anyway.

Taking a physical item from someone DEPRIVES them of said item. They LOSE something, they leave with LESS than they started with. In the case of content, they aren't STEALING it...stealing indicated theft, theft indicates loss. You have LOST nothing. You still have your skin, therefore, they are not, in fact, stealing it. Its the same with the music industry. At least though, with music, they can claim a loss, because they lost the sale. You aren't selling anything, so you have no argument. Also, Last I checked, there is no way to upload a license with the image, so you can't even claim copyright infringement. While you legally hold the copyright, without a license, it falls under "fair use" and therefor, they can use it.

As for not knowing what I'm talking about... Nope, I don't skin cars for LFS. The texture mapping is horrendous at best. I've got about 10 cars I've done...only 2 uploaded to lfsworld because the others are incomplete. As games go, the mapping of the models is very bad. A 25 pixel square on the hood is generally not the same size on the model as a 25 pixel square on the door. That's a HUGE no-no when it comes to serious modeling/texturing. Frankly, I don't feel the need to waste my time trying to work around it.

However, I do spend around 10-15 hours a week contributing to various open-source development projects. All free, all open source, and all GPL licensed (anyone can copy, modify, and redistribute any code I create at their leisure, as long as they leave my license info in the file). Frankly, I think that content creators who try to keep anyone from using their content, or only allow its use with restrictive terms, are greedy, self-serving, poor examples of humanity. Theres a time and a place to make money off of content creation, when its offered as a service, ok. Development shops, software developers, and artists that actually provide their skills as paid services are fine. People who do it for a hobby, put it out there for anyone (generally more of a "bragging" type thing) and bitch when someone uses it that they don't like are quite despicable.

If you don't want someone to use your skin, don't give it to them. Simple as that. Your argument is juvenile and defensive, which means it should hardly be taken seriously. By putting your skin on lfsworld.com, you are, in-fact, GIVING it to everyone you race with, and you are doing so without license or restriction. If you don't like it, don't upload it. If you create skins because you like it, then keep them to yourself. But thats not really it, you want everyone to see it, you want the attention, you have the need to feel recognition for your work, and that's perfectly ok, thats normal behavior in every aspect. However, unless LFS integrates some sort of license system or encryption setup, anything you upload is considered "fair use" material, and that means people can use, modify, and redistribute. The only thing they can do that would be marginally illegal, would be to profit from it...and thats still a very gray line.

Can we lock this stupid thread now?
Fair use is a right granted to the public on all copyrighted work. Fair use rights take precedence over the author's interest. Thus the copyright holder cannot use a non-binding disclaimer, or notification, to revoke the right of fair use on works. However, binding agreements such as contracts or licence agreements may take precedence over fair use rights.
Quote from Dennis93 :Just trying to count the times I've had wiped the floor with you.

And that give you the right to say who is good and bad at driving?
Your ego is bigger that Duke nuken ego... and that a loooooooooooooooooot
I think copying skins isn't exactly stealing. As long as you don't try to pass it on as your own work, it's fair game, IMHO.

If a skin is public, well, that's exactly what it is. If I don't want other people to copy my skin, then I just won't upload them to NSFW. - err...LFSW...

Surely I'd love to hear feedback from the people using my skins, but if that's not possible, then tough titties.

Quote from Bean0 :I suppose the big question is, does the uploader of the replacement skin get into trouble for breaching the LFSWorld decency rules, as the skin has a badly drawn picture of a cock on it ?

I believe having the skin deleted from the server is the only penalty they might incur in this case.
Quote from Inouva :And that give you the right to say who is good and bad at driving?

Actually your ego is way bigger than any one I discovered on this forum, I reckoned.

You said you are better driver and faster than him, but by you experience you do not drive that much good to be honest.
I did once see someone driving around with a skin with my name on it
#47 - pipa
Quote from Inouva :And that give you the right to say who is good and bad at driving?

I guess he was all out of gum.
Quote from OTone :Actually your ego is way bigger than any one I discovered on this forum, I reckoned.

You said you are better driver and faster than him, but by you experience you do not drive that much good to be honest.

Can you quote where i say i'm faster that him?
-
(-NightFly-) DELETED by -NightFly- : oops
Call it childish or whatever you wan't, but i find it rather good idea actually .

Quote from Inouva :Can you quote where i say i'm faster that him?

I was wondering the same

Quote from edge3147 :You sir, are stupid.
Go crawl back under the bridge you came out from under.

now now, watch your tounge, be polite
Quote from Dennis93 :Just trying to count the times I've had wiped the floor with you.

that does not instantly mean (s)he isn't a good driver if you are a bit faster.
Just us a skin so crap nobody else will want it.
This thread is closed

Skin stealing banter.....
(118 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG