The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Indycar feels really good to me, I only tried it on the really tight fixed set, but it feels a lot better than the NTM.

Klouczech, Motion Cockpit View (search on iR forums) will let you move the driver around in the cockpit, you just need to turn off the motion stuff (or leave it on, you might like it).

Also, www.dwarehouse.com has a Jimmie Johnson spotter pack, it will be updated in a few weeks. I recommend you use the Dale Jr + TJ Majors spotter which is included, you just need to change to it from the default. It's well better.
Indycar is big improvement:
-Better feedback through FFB
-Corner entry takes more practice as you can't just stamp on brakes and turn it in because it will lockup front tires
-Brakes also feel much more sensitive to unloaded tires and I had plenty of single-tire lockups in Mid-Ohio. Probably even managed to lock every tire on a single lap without spinning/crashing out.
-There's bit more progressive feel to tire slip and it's not instant spin everytime you hit throttle too hard. Same applies to braking, feels like there's more than just two states of tire rotation; spinning and stopped. That is pretty easy to notice when you get rear-lockup under braking and if it's roughly on the threshold and just one tire, car will just nudge a little sideways and settle back in as you ease off from brakes.
-Old setups are junk, too understeery and you have to run much less downforce because the drag has been increased by a huge amount.

Cadillac (oh boy....)
-It's essentially soft-Corvette (Cadillac suspension, Corvette engine that feels weak)
-Default setup is absolutely horrible and while you can make significant improvement by messing around with the differential, you better get used to dealing with massive lift-off oversteer and sudden spins at low speeds.
-Tires feel little weird, seem to have very high optimal slip-angle and "sliding" through corners is significantly faster than keeping it clean. The angle is significant enough that your brain keeps screaming "Counter-steer! Counter-steer!", making it pretty hard to do consistently with limited practice.
-Steering also feels little bit dead on the center, but you'll get used to it.
I've never understood why 5 minutes of coding in a limiter was considered a major investment not worth of doing; considering it'd save hours of Youtube embarassment

Especially when your software is "cutting edge" :doh:
Is there a list somewhere that shows which cars have the NTM? I can't find any information anywhere
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :Is there a list somewhere that shows which cars have the NTM? I can't find any information anywhere

Well I can tell you the cars that don't have it - V8SC and the Lotus 79.
Here you go...

Cadillac CTS-VR NTM
Chevrolet Impala NTM
Chevrolet Impala Class B NTM
Chevrolet Impala SS 2009 NTM
Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS NTM
Chevrolet Silverado NTM
Chevrolette Corvette C6R NTM
Dallara IndyCar NTM
Ford Falcon V8 Supercar NTM
Ford GT NTM
Ford Mustang FR500S NTM
HPD ARX-01c NTM
Legends Ford '34 Coupe NTM
Legends Ford '34 Coupe Rookie NTM
Lotus 79 NTM
Mazda MX-5 Cup NTM
Mazda MX-5 Roadster NTM
Pontiac Solstice NTM
Radical SR8 NTM
Riley Daytona Prototype NTM
Silver Crown OTM
SK Modified OTM
Skip Barber Formula 2000 NTM
Spec Racer Ford NTM
Sprint Car OTM
Star Mazda NTM
Street Stock NTM
Tour Modified OTM
Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup NTM
Williams-Toyota FW31 NTM

I think the Solstice is on the NTM isn't it?
Quote from StableX :I think the Solstice is on the NTM isn't it?

Nope.

The most recent mention of Solstice tyres in the 'All release notes' doc is from 2010, and it didn't get them in the most recent update either...

Quote :The Pontiac Solstice has updated tires to the latest version of our tire model, similar to the Mustang and MX-5 tires

My Fanatec wheel has been sent back for repair (hopefully a new wheel altogether, my Alcantara was showing it's age a little ) so now I'm stuck with my old G25 with no buttons. It feels so terrible using the old wheel now and I'm well off the pace I was on with my GT3, so hopefully it's not away for too long.
Would you recommend the GT2 or 3 as am upgrade from a g25? Mine is about to expire.
maybe no more caddy heavy front jumps Phil?

Quote :Website:

Hosted Sessions

- Fuel limiting per car type is now available. **NOTE: There is still a bug where doing a multi-class hosted event with any of the Impalas or the Silverado causes pre-qualifying and pre-race tech inspection to continue indefinitely, preventing the driver from participating in that session. But it appears that customers almost never create multi-class events using these cars, so we have decided to make this new feature available for use now. We are still working on tracking this issue down, but in the meantime please avoid using any of these 4 cars in a multi-class hosted event.

Simulation:

- Fixed the intermittant crash bug that has been showing up in the new season's build.

Cars

- All cars now have the new driver model.

- Driver helmet license stripe is now colored correctly.

- MainPerformance PC sponsorship added.

Cadillac CTS-VR

- The pit boxes now use your car's colors.

- Fixed the downforce math so the car won't act strangely while significantly airborne.

Chevrolet Corvette C6R

- The pit boxes now use your car's colors.

Chevrolet Impala

- The Tape setting now only has three options at super speedway tracks.

Chevrolet Impala Class B

- Longer gears are now available for the Motegi oval.

- The Tape setting now only has three options at super speedway tracks.

Ford GT

- Increased the difference in rear wing drag between minimum to maximum wing angle settings.

HPD ARX-01c

- Revised the engine to have a little less middle rpm torque.

Williams-Toyota FW31

- Based on newly received data from Williams, we have updated the performance of the medium downforce front flap.

- Revised the engine to have a little less middle rpm torque and a little more high rpm torque.

- Reduce tire pressure minimums by 1 psi.

Twin Ring Motegi

- Fixed the sector splits at the West configuration.

- At the Oval configuration, track name in the sim was listing as Okayama. It is now fixed to be Twin Ring Oval.

Yeah I can't say anything for another 6 hours when I get home. Glad the F1 got a fix too, something seemed very "odd" last night/build with the rear tires losing traction at a certain speed.
If you ask me the Caddy is vastly overpriced.

It's got that revolting synthetic iRacing engine sound, slides around at low speed, and it'd be quicker to send a postcard to the front wheels than turn the steering wheel.

Why do they produce these diabolical baseline setups? Do they want everyone to think the cars are even worse than they are, or do they think that's how a car should handle? Don't know what's more worrying.

That said, not sure yet, but I've a suspicion that the 'trailing brake oversteer' thing I brought up before (where adding or removing brake during entry seems to have the opposite effect that I'd expect) might have been improved upon. But I think there could be some odd brake bias issues now to complicate understanding what's happening.

But regarding iRacing grip generally: if you drive from the grass to the road at say 25 mph with constant throttle and a good amount of steering lock on, then the disturbance of the grass/road/curb transition will often result in the car spinning through as much as 180 degrees. That's completely unnatural at that kind of speed, and to me indicates the tyres still don't know how to regain grip properly. You'll notice it's the bumpy grass areas that break traction when your on them that have you sliding around in a weird way too. Not regaining grip is so fundamental to handling that it makes a nonsense of all these other temp and pressure considerations and whatnot.

Some 'tiny' improvements in some engine sounds though e.g. off throttle.
The temperature on the tyres seems to remove all grip once over a certain ammount I've noticed. Even if you burnout of your pit box, in the following few corners, few laps, even for the rest of a stint you have no rear grip.
Quote from anttt69 :Would you recommend the GT2 or 3 as am upgrade from a g25? Mine is about to expire.

Absolutely 100%, the Alcantara is worth it alone, compared to the G25 the GT3 is soo smooth, and so much better FFB. Build quality isn't as good as Logitech, but support have been absolutely brilliant for me, my postage to send the wheel back is refunded into my account already.

The F1 car feels amazing and MDF is actually a legit choice again, I try and drive with as little downforce as possible simply because it's more fun, and it's good that I can again. I can't wait to get my wheel back.
So are we still skating on ice with the tires or is it bearable now?
Its better in slow corners (with rookie cars) but the temperatures are still wrong. Caddy is more stable now IMO.
The Caddy has absolutely no grip. Understeer at corner entry, and oversteer at corner exit.
I want to know why my wheel feels shit.

At 900 degs in windows and 900 in game i can turn say 90degrees left or right and it feels ok but if i turn 100 degs it feels like 130, 120 feels like 150, 130 feels like 170 etc etc.

Its like the first 90 degrees are perfect but then its trying to cram everything else in the last part of the turn.

Its always done this but not noticable on some..

What am i setting up wrong?
R3DMAN: I think you're looking for the ingame linearity settings. It was pain in the a$$ for me in the beginning aswell, until i realised, that every car needs its own settings.
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :The Caddy has absolutely no grip. Understeer at corner entry, and oversteer at corner exit.

Weird, I find it completely opposite regardless of differential settings.
Caddy is so fun to drive. Its all Ive driven this week.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG