The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from atledreier :It's a matter of FOV alone. In my setting I can have EITHER wide FOV (eyefinity, 130deg FOV) OR 3D (projector, 85deg fov). I greatly prefer a wide FOV over 3D. If I could have both I'd take it.

Image size has nothing to do with this. A huge screen seen from farther away can have alot less FOV than a small display up close. Also, the triplescreen display give you some 'free' FOV since the side screens are at an angle.

Honestly I think the bezels would ruin it for me, that's why I never got a surround set up. I tried Eyefinity at the local shop and the bezels just pissed me off so much I couldn't stand it.

What 3D solution are you using - tridef? DDD? Which projector? I had it worked out that I could get a 115 degree FOV with a projector, and the size being basically the same as real life was something I was looking forward to...
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Honestly I think the bezels would ruin it for me, that's why I never got a surround set up. I tried Eyefinity at the local shop and the bezels just pissed me off so much I couldn't stand it.

solution:
3 projectors

You're an evil, evil man....
I don't even see the bezels any more, they never bothered me.

I only use a Sony VPL-HW30ES, so not very high-end. But still lightyears more costly than my triplescreen setup.

And regarding the 115degree FOV, you'd need to sit really close or have a huge image to pull that off, and 1080P wouldn't be anywhere near enough for a smooth image.

Edit: Did some quick calcs, and if I'm not terribly mistaken you'd need a 6meter wide image and be seated 2m distant for anything near 115degree FOV. That is going to look ugly at 1080P
Right then, clearly my math was moronic
Hehe. Trigonometry can be a bi*ch! 8)

Liek I said, my screen is 106" (230cm wide) and I sit around that distance away from it. It is also curved slightly. That is on the edge of 1080P territory.

Also, having three screens means iRacing (and LFS) can render one view for each screen so you don't get any distortion like you would on a flat image surface.
Bezels are a bit like glasses bugs the hell out of your the first time you use them but you soon forget about them
They use to bug the hell out of me as well but as i see it bezels are just like A-pillars in a real car.
Star Mazda getting the NTM in time for the World Cup finals thingy.

Also, anyone up for some hosted fun in week 13?
Quote from boothy :Star Mazda getting the NTM in time for the World Cup finals thingy.

Also, anyone up for some hosted fun in week 13?

v8 at okayama? ok
Heh, glad I renewed my membership, 20 laps battling for 1st and won. Really wanna get my hands on the GTC cars.
Quote from Hahmo :v8 at okayama? ok

That's week 1, but was maybe thinking about something easier

Quote from Xaid0n :Heh, glad I renewed my membership, 20 laps battling for 1st and won. Really wanna get my hands on the GTC cars.

GTC cars? As in the Jetta and MX-5?
Woops, my bad... I meant the Prototype & GT Challenge. It's known as GTC in ISRA
Tried the Skip on the NTM for the first time today, and it's shit. Skip used to be a fun car to throw around, now it feels more like rFactor 1 than anything. It feels like it has a point of no return, any slip angle more than a certain amount gives a spin 100% of the time, which means I keep having ****ing stupid 10 mph spins like rF1. The idiots on the iracing forum keep having a go at how it's shocking that rf2 are charging for a beta, when we all are paying for a shitty beta of iracing.
Silly. They're not "charging for a beta", they're charging for a finished product, and LETTING you play the beta for forking out the dough early.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Silly. They're not "charging for a beta", they're charging for a finished product, and LETTING you play the beta for forking out the dough early.

Yup, it's simply beta access if you pre-order.
Didn't the FPS fanbois love this when it happened for either COD or BF ?
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Silly. They're not "charging for a beta", they're charging for a finished product, and LETTING you play the beta for forking out the dough early.

hmm in many ways that Beta feels more like a finished product than iR...
Haha, yeah.

Listen, I defended iRacing in the past because I believed it could/was going somewhere. But it's been a long time and nothing groundbreaking has gone on over there I don't really know what they do with all that money, but it doesn't seem to be used for researching implementing useful things (not that content isn't useful, but at some point having a better SIM should become a priority???). I was even accused of being a rabid fanboy (much) earlier in this very thread!

But I find it downright comical that even an iR supporter could say that... It's "the best thing going in simracing" and you can't even stall a car! :doh:

It's hard to believe it could happen, but I'm starting to think that RF2's tire model is actually more accurate than that in iRacing. One thing's for sure, it's definitely more advanced in terms of feature set. And the sim itself is of course more advanced in terms of features...

The actual beta was a joke comparing to rF2 beta for example. I still have the logs of some of the things they were changing back then, read them not too long ago and it's sad to see that some of the problems are still there, but "brushed to the side" by all the new content etc that was released.

Quote from Bean0 :Yup, it's simply beta access if you pre-order.
Didn't the FPS fanbois love this when it happened for either COD or BF ?

BF3. People weren't that greatly happy with it, although many was thankful for it, and took it for what it was, a beta. However the BF3 beta is a good comparison to the rF2 beta, as both are/was missing many features and people thought that they could never be implemented in time.

BF3 had 2 months, rF2 has 6, and BF3 made it perfectly fine.

Quote from ZanZi :hmm in many ways that Beta feels more like a finished product than iR...

And sad to say the finished product and mods will push it even farther ahead.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Listen, I defended iRacing in the past because I believed it could/was going somewhere. But it's been a long time and nothing groundbreaking has gone on over there I don't really know what they do with all that money, but it doesn't seem to be used for researching implementing useful things (not that content isn't useful, but at some point having a better SIM should become a priority???). I was even accused of being a rabid fanboy (much) earlier in this very thread!

You had all the symptoms I swear!

Most of the money would probably go to marketting. Think of all the places they have gone and they are constantly marketting as much as they can. Sure a pretty penny goes to all the content additions, but I'm sure most of that gets paid when the content is released.

Most of the data on the road side came from 2007 I believe and I can't even remember the car used. Recently on the road side for the NTM it is just SVG giving his inputs and they work with it. I'm not sure if they are getting data from him, but the bad part of that is that his driving style will be influenced in the model. His driving style is balls out driving on the rear tires, which is why he is so hit or miss in V8SC.

On the oval side, I know they got data from a car (probably Jr's) during testing at Charlotte. However this was many years ago when the track got "shaved" and it became very grippy and many didn't like it. I think this was after the CoT was released IRL, but I think the wing was there. Will look it up later.

Quote :
But I find it downright comical that even an iR supporter could say that... It's "the best thing going in simracing" and you can't even stall a car! :doh:

"DK is a Skip Barber champion, if anyone knows how to build a tire, it would be him."

^Nearly a copy/paste job.

Most people don't stay at iR for the physics, as hard as it is to believe. Many stay there for the racing structure and the supposed "amazing graphics". Basically for the looks, not for the actual racing.

Quote :
It's hard to believe it could happen, but I'm starting to think that RF2's tire model is actually more accurate than that in iRacing. One thing's for sure, it's definitely more advanced in terms of feature set. And the sim itself is of course more advanced in terms of features...

And to think it is just a brush model (rF2), something that LFS is getting away from and iR skipped over.

Sorry for long post, back to Uni now.
Personally I always thought that once iracing gets the ntm out they start adding those important tire physics and physics features but in the end the ntm has been nothing else than different feel and numbers for the cars. With the otm it was kind of the assumed idea pf many that it was no use to keep updating the otm with new features because it was going out anyways and the work would be useless because it would not have been compatible with ntm. But now with the ntm they are still just fixing what they have.

I would not say rf2 is the new bestest sim either. What we have now with rf2 is pretty much what we will have in 2014 and 2016. Of course tons of mods,cars and tracks will appear by then too but physics wise it's released and done when it is released. I'd like to think that iracing at some point gets the ntm fixed to a point where they can start adding those other new features. If iracing ever catches rf2 in that aspect remains to be seen.
Quote from DeKo :Tried the Skip on the NTM for the first time today, and it's shit. Skip used to be a fun car to throw around, now it feels more like rFactor 1 than anything. It feels like it has a point of no return, any slip angle more than a certain amount gives a spin 100% of the time, which means I keep having ****ing stupid 10 mph spins like rF1. The idiots on the iracing forum keep having a go at how it's shocking that rf2 are charging for a beta, when we all are paying for a shitty beta of iracing.

In the first release of the NTM on it, it was great (except for the weird tire pressure stuff). But now it's terribad.
Quote from MadCat360 :In the first release of the NTM on it, it was great (except for the weird tire pressure stuff). But now it's terribad.

Agree. That was the only time I really enjoyed the Skippy.
So the Star Mazda isn't on the NTM yet? I'm already suffering from a case of 'doing fine, doing fine, **** I'm upside down into the armco again'.

I also spent the first month of my subscription trying to set up my G25 so it doesn't feel like a dead pig in the center and outlandishly heavy at ~45 degrees lock. Still haven't succeeded and I'm about to give up.
Quote from Osco :So the Star Mazda isn't on the NTM yet?

Yet. However it is coming this new build (next week?) including the DP and F1 (supposedly). Don't know what else yet.
Wouldn't surprise me if the Mustang gets the NTM too. Maybe some sort of team thing too as the latest iracing TV was showing....
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG