The online racing simulator
Um, it's a documentary.. I categorise movie to have a plot and actors..
Ah, I see.

Typically documentaries are considered a subset or genre of movies/films, just like comedies or dramas or science fiction or whatever else.
Hm, maybe it's cultural difference, i can't call that a movie, comedies, drama, sci-fi are movies, there are actors, a plot etc..
Quote from Boris Lozac :Hm, maybe it's cultural difference, i can't call that a movie, comedies, drama, sci-fi are movies, there are actors, a plot etc..

"Movie" or "film" is like saying "book". A book can straightforwardly narrate a story (which is usually called a "novel") or it can also be an accounting ledger (which is usually called "boring"). And don't even get me started on the misappropriation of the term "drama"; technically, all movies with actors that act out a story are dramas.
Guess I don't know much about internet, but what does "Hunger Games" refer to? A movie from France or something else?
No, I did not google, I rather prefer some good quality feedback from this pissfest of a forum

Oh and yeah, forever rallypack!
(God damnit Eric)
It's a book that was turned into a movie. Whole idea is that there are 12 states based around 1 capital city and every year each state has to send 2 people to the Hunger Games (battle to the death). Some girl nominates herself to fight instead of her sister, fights some people, falls in love with a competitor, tries to beat system to survive together.

From what I heard it's really just a slightly more acceptable version of Twilight.
Quote from Rappa Z :It's a book that was turned into a movie. Whole idea is that there are 12 states based around 1 capital city and every year each state has to send 2 people to the Hunger Games (battle to the death). Some girl nominates herself to fight instead of her sister, fights some people, falls in love with a competitor, tries to beat system to survive together.

From what I heard it's really just a slightly more acceptable version of Twilight.

Oh god.. god no!
Do not want!
Anyone seen The Raid? Is it worth watching?
Watched "Drive" yesterday, really good movie and the soundtrack is a masterpiece..
Quote from xaotik :"Movie" or "film" is like saying "book". A book can straightforwardly narrate a story (which is usually called a "novel") or it can also be an accounting ledger (which is usually called "boring"). And don't even get me started on the misappropriation of the term "drama"; technically, all movies with actors that act out a story are dramas.

I get what you're saying, but here in my country we never refer to those kind of documentaries like Restrepo, as a movie or film.. I don't know how you call say, The Simpsons, and the shows like Mythbusters, we have very seperate names for those..
I can always rely on a DWB recommended film. I noticed Battle Royale was on netflix so i fired it up straight away. Great stuff! a solid 7.5/10

I can always rely on Boris to have the worst taste in films. So I don't know why I bothered, but I watched Act of Valor

I could write an essay length post on how bad that movie is. I seriously can't remember the last film i watched that was so awful in almost every respect. Unless you have been lobotomized I would steer well clear. It's an absolute tragedy that such an utter pile of shit has done so well. Must of been hell of a marketing campaign. I gave it 2/10 and that's being generous.
Please enlighten me why Battely Royal get so high score? I am seriously trying to find out why people like that movie, but I just canot figure it out. Usually I am on same lenght as most others when it comes to movies, but BR I really, really did not like
I think i need to give a second go on Drive sometime soon, started it yesterday, fell asleep after first 10 minutes . I blame a late hour on that, though the main character seemed to be somewhat slow minded, took forever to hear him replying to someone, it pissed me off.
Quote from The Very End :Please enlighten me why Battely Royal get so high score? I am seriously trying to find out why people like that movie, but I just canot figure it out. Usually I am on same lenght as most others when it comes to movies, but BR I really, really did not like

Don't worry about it, dude. Not everyone has to have the same opinions on things.
That's actually a good thing (not having the same opinions).

And just to be on topic, I had another session of those-old-movies-that-everyone-talks-about-and-I-can't-join-the-conversation-because-I've-never-seen-them.
This time around was the probably recommended before Dr. Strangelove.
It's... weird.

But hurry up and watch it if you didn't yet.
Quote from The Moose :

I can always rely on Boris to have the worst taste in films. So I don't know why I bothered, but I watched Act of Valor

I could write an essay length post on how bad that movie is. I seriously can't remember the last film i watched that was so awful in almost every respect. Unless you have been lobotomized I would steer well clear. It's an absolute tragedy that such an utter pile of shit has done so well. Must of been hell of a marketing campaign. I gave it 2/10 and that's being generous.

You do realise that i think the same thing about people like you? Goddamn hipocrites who expect Shawshank Redemption in a movie that was originally suppose to be a docummentary, what, the acting was bad? No way, you totally did not expect that eh.. It's the best shooting and military/special ops thing you can see on screen, what movie has done it this well? There are no stupid "i got a bullet with your name on it" comments, pure military language and that's how it's suppose to be. Yes, the narration was pretty bad and unnecesary, but the action stuff, brilliant.
I hate fakers, what really do you want from a movie 'starring' real Navy Seals?
Quote from The Very End :Please enlighten me why Battely Royal get so high score? I am seriously trying to find out why people like that movie, but I just canot figure it out. Usually I am on same lenght as most others when it comes to movies, but BR I really, really did not like

Japanese schoolgirls, Japanese schoolgirl that kills in cold blood, and Japanese dude which look like schoolgirls.
Quote from -NightFly- :I think i need to give a second go on Drive sometime soon, started it yesterday, fell asleep after first 10 minutes . I blame a late hour on that, though the main character seemed to be somewhat slow minded, took forever to hear him replying to someone, it pissed me off.

if that pisses you off dont bother watching it again the entire movie could be cut down to a 10 minute short if you took out all the pauses in conversations

Quote from de Souza :That's actually a good thing (not having the same opinions).

dont ever mention that in a thread with boris around

Quote from de Souza :This time around was the probably recommended before Dr. Strangelove.

best movie ever
"alright youre sorrier than i am"
Quote from Boris Lozac :You do realise that i think the same thing about people like you? Goddamn hipocrites who expect Shawshank Redemption in a movie that was originally suppose to be a docummentary, what, the acting was bad? No way, you totally did not expect that eh.. It's the best shooting and military/special ops thing you can see on screen, what movie has done it this well? There are no stupid "i got a bullet with your name on it" comments, pure military language and that's how it's suppose to be. Yes, the narration was pretty bad and unnecesary, but the action stuff, brilliant.
I hate fakers, what really do you want from a movie 'starring' real Navy Seals?

Keep you hair on Boris! I only said I hated a film, I didn't insult your Mother

We obviously just have completely the opposite taste in movies, it's nothing personal

Just to sum up why I thought it was a pile of poo:

Plot: Was there one? I missed it if there was. It was just an excuse to throw together random action scenes. Reminded me of the single player campaign in all the recent COD games. Paper thin story just to show off a load of set pieces.

Acting: The idea to have actual SEALS doing the acting was the biggest mistake. Should have kept them strictly to a consultancy role and let actors do the job. They were terrible. I don't expect oscar worthy performances in every film, but they were worse at delivering the dialogue than most 5 year olds in their first school play.

Dialogue: Terrible. Felt like it was written by a 15 year old.

Action sequences: Sorry, I fail to see what all the fuss is about. Not bad, but nothing amazing like you're making them out to be.

There are so many better military films out there. I'll take Black Hawk Down/The Thin Red Line/Hurt Locker/Platoon/Full Metal Jacket/Saving Private Ryan, to name but a few before this pile of crap. All of them are a class above (several classes actually) Act Of Valour.
It's more of venting out about that attitude in people generally, not to you directly sorry..
Those movies you mentioned are all great, but in their own way, this is a different aproach, this aproach doesn't need amazing story, it's just there cause they couldn't get away without one probably, just like say no game can get away with having just a single player campaign, or just multiplayer nowadays, it's gotta have both to sell more.
What dialoge are you talking about, that's how milittary personal talk, and that's just the beauty of it that it's the real guys, cause actors would well, over-act it.
That's what's pissing me off, you probably knew that the real SEAL's are the actors, you had to.. and why oh why do yoy have to pay attention to their acting? That's just 'modern' and 'hipster' way of watching movies, over judging them and beeing picky WHILE the movie lasts, people are not letting themselves enjoy movies anymore, they have to be like " O M G, look at what he's smoking, there was no Lucky Strike in 1784, let's stop watching this.." (with eye-rolles and everything.
It's a movie for people who are into this kind of stuff, i even wrote that, and for people who don't over-judge everything just so they can call themselves smart..
Sorry for the rant.
Quote from Shotglass :dont ever mention that in a thread with boris around

Quote from Shotglass :best movie ever
"alright youre sorrier than i am"

Pure classic!

---

So last night I went to see The Hunger Games. Wasn't expecting much.
What I saw was some breathtaking scenes combined with some bad parts (it kind of feels cheap at times). Camera work was top notch, which made me like the movie more than I probably should, but who cares. Story was weak. Jenny was great/hot.

Overall, it was better than I anticipated and surprisingly enjoyable, but it does feel a little off.

I didn't read the books.
I watched an Icelandic film called Jar City which is available on Netflix. Great imagery, interesting pacing, can't say much about the acting as I don't know what convincing Icelandic acting is supposed to sound like. A murder mystery in a country with virtually no crime was the premise that made me watch it.
iron sky, I haven't laughed so much since...
Just see it, it's awesome

Recommend a film you've seen lately.
(3163 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG