The online racing simulator
If you've got trackdays and LFS, nKp, or other sim, then a PS3 just for GT5 is not worth it. Unless you just must drive real road cars and don't want rFactor... still not worth it if you've got trackdays. Plus rFactor 2 just might be good whenever that comes out.

Was worth it to me cuz I regularly play other games on it.
Yeah it's the itch to drive some real everyday cars that has got me going. Almost on the verge of breaking out Enthusia to get a fix.

I do have NKP and dabble in ocassional iRacing when they have special offers... but there's just not a lot of fun relatable cars. It's a long winter until next track days, plus you only get to drive your own car... guess what I'm saying is that a good robust realistic SIM is still a great why to pretend to drive some nice cars fast.

Tough decision.
its not realllly worth it just for gt5, especially with rfactor 2 and c.a.r.s That money could go towards a new gfx card or some other pc upgrade.
Quote from Mattesa :Yeah it's the itch to drive some real everyday cars that has got me going. Almost on the verge of breaking out Enthusia to get a fix.

I do have NKP and dabble in ocassional iRacing when they have special offers... but there's just not a lot of fun relatable cars. It's a long winter until next track days, plus you only get to drive your own car... guess what I'm saying is that a good robust realistic SIM is still a great why to pretend to drive some nice cars fast.

Tough decision.

Better get Forza for that, just need to look at the car list.

unless you absolutely don't mind driving the standards in GT5. and in forza you can drive everything straightaway. guess you ain't into the whole grinding and career thing.
Honestly, I'd prefer Forza. And if it had support for the G25 I'd probably have bought it and a 360 by now.
Hit the nail on the head I dont give a rats ass about the career/game aspects of GT... never did.

No G25 support is a definite deal breaker on FM4.
I bought my PS3 just for GT5, but I did end up using it to play Blu Rays, and other games from the PSN shop - mostly Tower Defence style games - I'm a TD junkie!
Plus a few free ones from Sony too, and the demos are usually enough to keep me busy

If you don't have a Blu Ray player, you could do worse than a PS3.
And there are other things to use it for from the PSN
Some intensive Google-Youtube-forum research yielded lots of accusations but no definitive proof that there is anything broken with the way the cars in GT5 behave when stock. You know... like the kinda of complete garbage lack of physics that GT4 was. That YT video of a Caterham around SPA a few posts up looked pretty nuanced in the way the rear kicked out.

My first and only time with GT5 was a year ago competing for fastest lap with a buddy around Tsukuba with an M3 on a G27. I recall being surprised that it didn't drive like a steaming pile of crap.

So I'm leaning towards grabbing the game after in-listing some friends and family to get some value out of the hardware...
I got PS3 recently aswell and after some doubts i decided to give GT5 a go, heck it's one of it's flagships and it's still racing game, so why the hell not.

If anyone fancies a race or just wanna add me, i'm Kid282 on PSN.
That's a good plan mattesa. Netflix is a good reason to stack on to the functionality, bluray is going out though making way for streaming. But gaming is the major enticing factor for the PS3.
I still like to have a physical copy of movies, either on media or on the drive. Bandwidth is still not so fast and cheap yet, here
Quote from Kid222 :I got PS3 recently aswell and after some doubts i decided to give GT5 a go, heck it's one of it's flagships and it's still racing game, so why the hell not.

If anyone fancies a race or just wanna add me, i'm Kid282 on PSN.

Was this bundle worth a buy? Wanna hear it directly from you, I am thinking 30 times before buying anything relatively expensive for me.
10 million credits and 12 cars gifted inside the game for xmas, cheers polyphony!!
Quote from DejaVu :10 million credits and 12 cars gifted inside the game for xmas, cheers polyphony!!

wait what?
What there's a christmas gift today?
Nope I lied
Quote from Mysho :Was this bundle worth a buy? Wanna hear it directly from you, I am thinking 30 times before buying anything relatively expensive for me.

Well anything is worth a buy including a PS3 + GT5

Laser scanned Nordschleife with relatively good physics on at least road cars (as long as you stay for road-hard and slick-hard and dont try softs as they get pretty unrealistic) and the enormous car choice, is a quite good reason to buy it
Money spent, time to rant.

Two big things for me right now... and both are physics related:
  • When oversteering, you cannot settle the car using throttle.
It should be like this: If oversteer and assuming proper steering work....

(1) a lot more throttle = more oversteer and spin
(2) a little bit of throttle = settle down and recover
(3) no throttle = spin or maybe a tank slapper

Number 2 does not work. The only way to recover is to back way off. Maintenance throttle in oversteer has no effect. This is such a crucial thing that its omission is really ruining the game for me.

• The cars don't visibly roll and dive and squat? Is the whole weight transfer not modeled or something?
Oh well?
Some cars pitch and roll convincingly. The majority do not.

Try the e-type Jag and the s2000, those are two which spring to mind as being fairly realistic looking.
You still can't get a violent shift of weight though, even on the far too grippy racing tyres.

There's a lot wrong with the car dynamics, the body movement is certainly an obvious part of that, and could be the reason behind a lot of the weight transfer related problems.

It's quite disappointing for me since body movement was one of the biggest draws of the early Gran Turismo games.

This and the stupid stupid smoke just make me think the game isn't being made by car enthusiasts any more. It's like all that matters is power sliding and smoke screens.
Well I'm sure they are enthusiasts, just not the type concerned enough with the nitty gritty of how cars drive. With all that budget you would think they could have someone with the experience to stumble upon these pretty glaring issues.

I would've been very happy with GT5 being Enthusia+. But somehow... it isn't. Boggles my mind.
Depending on the cars, #2 is the only way I keep the rear in check, whilst #1 helps keep control of the car in a situation. But then again I don't know what cars you've driven.
Quote from Mattesa :Well I'm sure they are enthusiasts, just not the type concerned enough with the nitty gritty of how cars drive. With all that budget you would think they could have someone with the experience to stumble upon these pretty glaring issues.

I would've been very happy with GT5 being Enthusia+. But somehow... it isn't. Boggles my mind.

I was being somewhat facetious.
Clearly the people in charge don't care quite as much about things which are really quite obvious, as we think the should.

The smoke is one thing, but the damped and often unnoticeable body roll is quite another. It even makes the tyres look like they don't actually have too much grip, because the car appears to weigh almost nothing, you don't get that fundamental impression of this heavy object being dragged around corners by the contact patches. Things just all seem a bit gentler.
There is a new seasonal event with the spa track. And apparently you don't need to own the spa dlc to be able to drive in that race.

The spa is surprisingly accurate too and compares well with iracing imho.
Quote from Hyperactive :There is a new seasonal event with the spa track. And apparently you don't need to own the spa dlc to be able to drive in that race.

The spa is surprisingly accurate too and compares well with iracing imho.

It is, i think it's even better, thanks to the great GT5 graphics (apart from the nasty sun reflection).
I got bit upset about the no-need-to-buy-dlc thing, a bit unfair, when you consider that Spa isn't used anywhere else than online, but as long as they keep it only in seasonals, i'm "ok" with it.

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG