The online racing simulator
What's the point of driving on real tracks in a racing simulator? :/

That's like watching *cough* a movie of a specific genre *cough* with your girlfriend who is far from 90-60-90 or watching a sports game where guys as unsporty as you hold a skiing competition

I hope you all remember that.

or even
Quote from jasonmatthews :Who says LFS won't allow Track creation in the future? IIRC it was mentioned probably over 5 years ago that S3 would be the stage where they would introduce this feature. I guess it would be quite far along the s3 path, but I see no reason for them not to do it.

It's true that Scawen mentioned that after the release of S3, they would consider releasing the tools they worked with.
However, IIRC they at a later time mentioned that track editor would not be released before the project was finished, and he hinted about S4 and so on.

Quote from Kristi :

(picture 1)
I hope you all remember that.

(picture 2)
or even

Picture 1: Good memories, whish they did that to us this year =)

Picture 2: That's a old picture of the track that later got the name Sout City Some rumors claimed it to be the unknown Miami track, but sadly, it's just a very old picture from the first Sout City.
Oh, I still lived in the faith that it's Miami Vice since that picture was released (Yea I'm here longer than you think, I just registered when I was to buy S2, no licenced demo :P).
It's funny, they were promising S2 before releasing an actual S1. Now its the same with S3. We can expect somthing..

I just loved how Scawen shared every bit of his life, and important stuff with us. I miss those times. Even when an important patch was released, there was a competition or something. LX6 weeks anybody?
Quote from Kristi :Oh, I still lived in the faith that it's Miami Vice since that picture was released (Yea I'm here longer than you think, I just registered when I was to buy S2, no licenced demo :P).
It's funny, they were promising S2 before releasing an actual S1. Now its the same with S3. We can expect somthing..

I just loved how Scawen shared every bit of his life, and important stuff with us. I miss those times. Even when an important patch was released, there was a competition or something. LX6 weeks anybody?

Don't forget the kitchen sink / house upgrade
Cheap shot aside, the community were smaller before, and made less noise =)
I remember the Devs being most communicative round '06 - '07, when i got my licence. Didn't Scawen post some photos of his toddler once to explain the slower work speed? He was very open to this community back then, maybe a bit to much.

Quote :Most users ever online was 912, 10th December 2007 at 20:39.

atm its 280 (82 members and 198 guests)
VW Scirocco
whats happend to the VW Scirocco? ive been waiting for 2 years for it to come out :/ anyone know when the release date is?
Christmas 2009.
Quote from minniyer :whats happend to the VW Scirocco? ive been waiting for 2 years for it to come out :/ anyone know when the release date is?

If we knew, you would know.
Quote from ACCAkut : Most users ever online was 912, 10th December 2007 at 20:39.

To be fair I'm 99% sure that was on a patch release
It was Y release. The biggest patch in a while.... Nothings' been improved since then.

It was actually a community back then. Now it's a forum.
I ate it.

Sorry.
Quote from TFalke55 :If we knew, you would know.

This.

Please use some common sense; if the date was known, it would be all over the forum.
The Scirocco is a lie.
It comes in early 2009.
Don't forget to add this to the list before closing thread Flame (CZE)
Quote from minniyer :whats happend to the VW Scirocco? ive been waiting for 2 years for it to come out :/ anyone know when the release date is?

When there is some news, you will probably receive an e-mail from the developers.

Also, this:
Quote from Flame CZE :Yes, Scawen is still working on the new tyre physics. When he is happy with the results, he will release a test patch. Eric is also working on some S3 content.

OMG this bullshit discussion still going on? I'm amazed that the posts still has the same content as they did back in 2009.

There wasn't so long ago that they updated LFS with open layouts, something that has been on the community´s wishing list since 05-06. Also more objects for track editing, also something that people wanted since 05-06.

I think this forum is just to damn moody, one could easily think that the game is dead. Get out on the tracks! thats where the racing is! not here in a forum... the reason for less people online is that nowadays league racing is big and people tend to focus what time they have over for LFS on practice and racing there.

I have not been racing actively on public servers since i was back in demo(05). I go public for cruising and drifting. And always done my online racing in leagues, thats where the real action and fun is.
Why the DEVs cannot sell us their new content
Hi all!

We all cannot crasp what really is going on with LFS since the christmass of 2008, when we were promised an additional car (VW-Scirocco) and at about 2009 a new original/real track (Rockingham).

Why are we not being sold an addon (for money)?

I don´t know the truth BUT I have a guess!

PLEASE HAVE A GUESS AS WELL and if you are an developer of LFS,
please speak out...

My guess is:

First VW did all of a sudden not want to pay for implementing the car into

LFS, for what reasons so ever!

While Rockingham and the new tyre-physics were developed the DEVs found out that the community is

TOO LITTLE to earn enough money with the update/addon/newVersion.

I don´t think the technical/programmining development of LFS is stuck, I think that the distribution and Public Relation project of Live for Speed is
stuck!

What do YOU think?

Dandy
The developers did not promise anything. They said, that VWS would be released at some point, they planned to release it on the 19th December 2008 and then the plans changed.

The Rockingham track is finished but Scawen wants to release all the new content after he finishes the new tyre physics.

I will quote one Scawen's post, which speaks for itself:

Quote from Scawen :I'm sure it would have been different if we had known in advance how long this development stage would take, I guess we could have tried to plan other releases in the meantime. But it has always seemed like I was near to finishing the tyre physics, so no change of plan was required.

Remember it was the Scirocco that showed up the issues in the tyre physics (there were already known tyre physics issues but we couldn't get the Scirocco to drive as safely as a real one does while restricting ourselves to a realistic setup). So, releasing the Scirocco has been out of the question until the tyre physics system is quite close to reality.

Releasing Rockingham has also been out of the question. We want to release a real track when the behaviour of the cars is right (not perfect, just close enough so the bumps feel right and the lap times are just like real ones).

Who knows, if I had known in advance that the tyre model would take so long, maybe Eric would have thought that he should focus on some S1 / S2 content updates. With the benefit of hindsight, it's easy to pick holes in what we have done and point out the mistakes we have made. But as I said, we always thought that in a few weeks or a couple of months, the new tyres would be ready to roll.

But the carcass simulation, which I had to look into because the tread simulation model clearly ignored too much of how a tyre actually behaves, took me in a whole new direction for a good part of last year. A long time of studying and finding out a lot more about tyres than I knew before, and had never thought I'd need to know. It made my head spin quite often, I'm not an eighteen year old on a university course. I couldn't even read this stuff for full eight hour days, had to take it a bit easy at times.

But still I usually thought I was near the end. So that is probably the reason for our dreadful "strategy" and lack of communication. It wasn't a strategy at all, and I didn't want to communicate until I got solid results.

I am fully aware that this post isn't going to convince many people. But I thought I'd write it anyway, to help you see slightly more from my point of view.

Quote from Flame CZE :The developers did not promise anything. They said, that VWS would be released at some point, they planned to release it on the 19th December 2008 and then the plans changed.

The Rockingham track is finished but Scawen wants to release all the new content after he finishes the new tyre physics.

I will quote one Scawen's post, which speaks for itself:

Hey, Somebody on LFS forum knows what they are talking about for once
@Flame!

I thought communism was over in Czechia and everybody was allowed to examine the truth there as well.

What do You expect from Your currying favour?

We were not promised something, go look at lfs.net and scroll down:

I quote from Dec 11th 2008
Quote :added Thu, Dec 11th, 2008 19:10
>Announcing VW Scirocco
Hello LFS Racers.

We are pleased to announce that we plan to release the new VW Scirocco in Live for Speed during the week ending Friday 19th December.

If you'd like to have a look at the car in 3D or start working on a skin, you can :
- download the CMX Viewer (26 MB)

For a preview of the car inside LFS you can watch a presentation video made by Victor van Vlaardingen.

- Watch instantly on YouTube
- Low resolution AVI (19 MB)
- High resolution AVI (47 MB)
- Best resolution MKV (51 MB - does not play in Windows Media Player)

You will need an S1 or S2 license in order to drive the Scirocco when it is released.

More information next week!

- LFS Developers

Really, in times of "occupy wallstreet, the arabian spring, african freedom movement, reajustment in all the countries, the think that hurts me most ist this submissive argument, that comes from totalitarian societies!

I am ready to pay! Sell us the content! Let us drive Scirocco! Let us drive in Rockingham...
If You cannot...turn LFS into OPEN SOURCE an get yourself some other community to... whatever that is called!!!

REVOLUTION 2.0 (S3) NOW!!!!

Dandy
Quote :We are pleased to announce that we plan to release the new VW Scirocco in Live for Speed during the week ending Friday 19th December.

Aha? And I don't know why you start talking about communism and things here. That has nothing to do with it.

[Merged] Discussion regarding LFS development
(1577 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG