The online racing simulator
C.a.r.s.
(968 posts, started )
Quote from PMD9409 :You got into iRacing's subscription based payment plan, I'm sure you can do a one-time payment plan like it should be done.

Not picking on you, just poor excuse.

I just think it's destined to fail. It's still not a finished product (although no game is these days). I don't like the way they are saying you can pay €25000 to apparently have input in what goes on, surely this is just like being an investor? It has potential but the people with the money surely get a better bearing on where the game direction is headed, and Need For Speed is more popular than a real hardcore simulation.
cant wait to make some slo-mo tire deformation videos

Build 81 (28/10/11, Team Member+)
DX11 HDRControl updated to matched optimised bloom threshold and downsampling shader.
The "Texture Filtering" option (set via "Help & Options / Video") was being ignored by DX11 renderer. Now Fixed.
Fixes for WDF lighting menu, to allow extra entries to load/save
Added various HUD tacho variations (Nuke 3, and Kart)
More exhaust smoke for the Kart
Fixed Kart Ai volume and increased the rev limit to 18000RPM
Fixed ambient shadow width and tweaked gearstick movement (Nuke 3)
Changed default livery for LEONUS F68 CROMWELL V8
New Racer V8 RS and L4-RS exports
Upped LOD distance for CALIPER (Nuke 3)
Completed reverse AIW for Connecticut Hill Reverse, and Connecticut Hill Short Reverse
Temporary AIW for Bologne Reverse. Basic path and 32 start spots.
Added track groups to save on build sizes and also organised both tracklists in alphabetical order
Changed loading screen music

Build 80 (26/10/11, Manager+)
New tracks in, Bologna Reverse (prealpha), Connecticut Hill Reverse (prealpha), Connecticut Hill Short Reverse (prealpha), Glencairn Reverse (alpha), Glencairn East Reverse (alpha), and Glencairn West Reverse (alpha)
New export of Asano X4 (beta)
New export of Bologna (prealpha), and Connecticut Hill (prealpha)
Removed slip audio effects at low speed
Fix for shadow mapping 'black edge' around car bug
Added grip points to debug physics screens
Some bug-fixes and performance improvements for RenderContext setting in DX11
Fix to enable loading of WDF files on the F1 debug menu from the 'lighting edits' directory within my_documents/cars/
Formula B: multi-part chassis collision for more accurate shape
Improved carbon shader
Improved Fresnel paint
Fixed names of the Leonus cars to match the forum

Build 79 (25/10/11, Senior Manager)
Improve the lift off over steer
Option to turn off cockpit mirrors in options
Fixed issue of 'reset' button still being active during the steering/pedals calibration process
Fixed right front suspension geometry for LEONUS F68 CROMWELL V8
Telemetry screen layout change
Added engine mesh for the RACER V8-RS
New Aussie Hill export
new build every friday now.
omg.. the level of details..
All NFS games had a great level of detail, that is not why they have failed (at least from out point of view). Still no INFORMATIVE posts about how the physics/ handling/feel of the game is..
Quote from Gabkicks :new build every friday now.
some W.I.P shots of caterham

Just FYI the devs said they don't want us to show WIP shots outside the CARS forum. Just saying
Quote from himself :Just FYI the devs said they don't want us to show WIP shots outside the CARS forum. Just saying

I don't mind, keep them comming
That caterham looks gorgeous. I'm guessing though that's a high-poly sculpted model (looking at the detail on things like the exhausts) from which they'll bake the normal map for the low-poly model.
Quote from himself :Just FYI the devs said they don't want us to show WIP shots outside the CARS forum. Just saying

They have said you can do youtube videos as long as you mention it's a pre-alpha build and all that good stuff however.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :They have said you can do youtube videos as long as you mention it's a pre-alpha build and all that good stuff however.

Thats right. I am talking about WIP screenshots from the forums submitted by the developers.
wow....imagine LFS looking like that.
Quote from GabbO :All NFS games had a great level of detail, that is not why they have failed (at least from out point of view). Still no INFORMATIVE posts about how the physics/ handling/feel of the game is..

I haven't seen much detail in any NFS game... except maybe the two Shift series, but I've never looked at them, really. As far as physics go, they're still not on par with proper sims like LFS, iR, nK, et al. They are improving, though, and maybe they'll get to a proper sim-like point eventually.

Quote from Crashgate3 :That caterham looks gorgeous. I'm guessing though that's a high-poly sculpted model (looking at the detail on things like the exhausts) from which they'll bake the normal map for the low-poly model.

That's what they call "LODX," and they will be using them for single-car things like animated menu views (which currently are just videos, not real-time renders) and for cutaway/ghosted views for the setup screens, etc. I believe they are also planning to show them during 'Pause' in game for better screenshots, too. Actual gameplay uses a "LODA" or "LODB" mesh IIRC, which is still very highly detailed in my opinion.
Quote from himself :Thats right. I am talking about WIP screenshots from the forums submitted but the developers.

okay then
Quote from BlueFlame :It's gonna be an investment fail. I was interested up until the point I heard it was based on Shift 2 game-engine.

Because it's an immutable piece of code, amirite?! They're continuing to work on the physics. Chassis flex is coming, too, and LFS doesn't have that.

Not to mention that the devs said that the shitty feel in the SHIFT games is due to EA wanting it gamepad friendly and as such come with compromised values all over the place.

And finally, who's to say whose physics are the most realistic? Too much people in here pretend to be real life race drivers.
so seriously consider getting (the low price package) this when my paycheck rolls in.

yes i seen the vids, but what about the feeling ect?
worth getting it?
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :so seriously consider getting (the low price package) this when my paycheck rolls in.

yes i seen the vids, but what about the feeling ect?
worth getting it?

If it was up to me, I would get a big package.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :If it was up to me, I would get a big package.

That's a signature quote if ever I saw one....
Just upgraded from Junior to Team Member, I like where this is going...
il be keeping an eye here
The graphic is just on unbelievable level. From these videos it looks like it will be pretty nice also on physics level. And on first place there are many devs working on it pretty much so maybe it will come to high level fast.
everything looks very good so far so i just bought the game. will report back later when i finish studying for my exam

EDIT: I have a late 2008 Macbook Pro. I can run LFS at 60fps most of the time and I can even run BF3 at its low settings at a lower resolution. But the lag I'm having in CARS is so bad that I can't make an accurate comparison with LFS/iRacing.

I am not blaming CARS for this. I know my computer is old, and it's a laptop. Obviously they got a lot of optimising to do, but the moral of the story is dont buy this game unless you have a fairly decent PC to run it. Low end PC can pretty much forget about this game.
Does anyone have any idea on how well they have done at attracting membership? I haven't noticed much activity on non-WMD forums about CARS but then most members are probably doing their posts on the part of the WMD forum that non members can't see.
Just bought the Junior pack, the game is pretty cool but still at very early stages (obviously). Cant wait for MP.

C.a.r.s.
(968 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG