The online racing simulator
Good goin'. Will be interesting to see those new open layouts too, might fair for some interesting banger racing lol.
For the servers with the whole track open, especially with 2 pits included, I.E. Fern bay and Aston, the server should have an option of MORE than 32 players available to drive on the server, one set can spawn up on one pit, than the rest on the other pit. But make both pits open for anyone to actually use as a pitstop place.
Quote from pik_d :I'm pretty sure if you tried hard enough you could find a post where Scawen said it wasn't possible a long time back. He even mentioned that he had to re-write some stuff for the new shift+u camera controls and that led to the open-track.

Quote from Scawen in RSC sometime in 2002-2006 I think :Yes that is a problem, and the main reason why we don't have a free roaming mode in the tracks yet. It's not just what's visible but also the lighting including lightmap and shadows that go over the car.

It seems possible to sort this out, by somehow having more than one path available at a time, for example both Blackwood configs together would cover the whole area, or at South City, the Long and Classic configs together would cover it all. Then LFS would need to do some path switching when you went too far off one path, it could work out which one to use.

But as usual quite a lot of code reorganising is needed because it's only designed to have one path and lightmap at the moment, other than that i guess it's a bit like being in Autocross mode, that means ignoring wrong way driving and disabling disabling path lap counting and AI drivers. So it's something i'd like to do but it's not high enough priority yet.

"Something we don't have yet" and "seems possible" not quite the same as "not possible".

With computers and appliances you want something done you are pretty much only constrained to will power, abilities, time, money and what is scientifically possible. Someone says it can not be done, it very rarely actually means that.
One more question though, what effect does it have on the open configs, when it doesn't have "echo maps" and "light maps"? An absence of some shadows?
Quote from Krane :"Something we don't have yet" and "seems possible" not quite the same as "not possible".

It wasn't possible with LFS's then-current engine. Scawen changed things (and has resorted to leaving out light maps and other stuff) in order to get it working. I hardly see how people repeating what Scawen said are dunces.

Quote from Flame CZE :One more question though, what effect does it have on the open configs, when it doesn't have "echo maps" and "light maps"? An absence of some shadows?

I have a feeling it'll feel slightly "wrong" in comparison to what we know. Hopefully only slightly.
whhhoooooooo happy days keep up the good work guys
Quote from Flame CZE :What do these mean?

When you perform an action such as pressing a key or moving the mouse Windows picks it up and sends a message to the appropriate window containing information about the action that was just performed such as (for example if you move the mouse) WM_MOUSEMOVE and the new x and y position of the mouse.

When you write an application you write code to pick up these messages, and interpret them into an instruction to the game. Scawen is saying he's streamlined this process.

Not sure about the tyre one.
- Improved collisions with unmovable objects (e.g. red barriers)
- Number of autocross objects increased to 800 (was 512)
- Open track configurations allowing you to drive anywhere

I See more cruising opportunities
Quote from pik_d :It wasn't possible with LFS's then-current engine. ... I hardly see how people repeating what Scawen said are dunces.

By your logic, anything in the 1st post change log is "not possible" and "can not be done"
Quote from PMD9409 :I was wondering the same until I read it more thoroughly.

Basically you select Kyoto and on KY3, hold CTRL and select "KY3X".

Then when you open the track in LFS, the track will virtually be open everywhere (all of Kyoto). You then add object to block off paths to make a race configuration. Add checkpoints and you got yourself a new track configuration.

That is probably my favorite update in the last 4 years (also with amount of objects), so I'm dying to try it out.

Hope this helps btw.

This +1000, something simple but still helping a lot in this long wait of new content.
^ But also keep in mind, a computer will do what you TELL it and not always what you actually WANT it to do.
Quote from Krane :By your logic, anything in the 1st post change log is "not possible" and "can not be done"

Not really. If you read what Scawen said the fully-open map is still a bit of a half-done job. The engine (back then and currently as well) does have the limitations that the posts you mock describe, so it wasn't possible to have an open map (and still isn't with all the intended features of the engine). Obviously if you change the engine different things become possible.
Quote from Scawen :I did open that at Fern Bay, though you do take off going through there... I guess that is a good suggestion for BL chicane as well. I could make them vanish, config makers can just add some barriers if they don't want people going straight through.

Very nice stuff Scawen. Anyway, may I suggest something for a future version? What about opening the road cutting the whole Fern Bay Gold sector 3, and removing the feature that auto-spectate anyone trying to get through? Check attachement if needed.

Do you think this could be possible at some point? I'm aware this section is quite narrow and bumpy, but it could offer a nice and interresting alternative to the classic FE3.
Attached images
435px-FE3.jpg
Nice, Go Test! Scawen <3
Oh well, better this than nothing Fixed barriers, raised layout objects limit and open tracks sounds like nice combination. Can't wait
First, when I saw the title I thought someone was joking again. Then I realised...

Anyway, thanks a lot!!!

Maybe, if it is not too much work, the Insim Camlevel 2 effect could be implemented.
"Drive anywhere" will be the heaven for "cruise" drivers lol. And barriers bug... nice .
May well be the time to dust off my wheel again soon. That and buy a new graphics card...
goin good i like the new collision detection cant wait for that
Re-reading the OP I was surprised that no one mentioned this bit:

Quote from Scawen :
The story behind the new patch :

A few weeks ago I was working on some track editor improvements that Eric had requested

Dear anyone who doubted that Eric was working,

That is all.
Great news Scawen can't wait to see what people do with the new autox/openworld layouts, there's some talented people out there thats for sure!!

Just a quick question, is it possible that when u rework the F9 tyre diagram key it remembers whether it's displayed on the screen or not from race to race? (or track to track, i'm not sure i just know that occasionally i keep having to look away from the screen to turn them back on lol)

..if you could do the same with the 4 key (racing line) that would be just awsome

Big thanks for patch guys
QD
I hope this will not xDDD I would like to see in the rehearse Shift + U rear-view mirrors have been included and devices on the car dashboard.
Attached images
z_5ed68ae9.jpg
z_e0450059.jpg
z_f0c2ed4a.jpg
Two years late.

Quote from Scawen :Dear LFS Racers,
if you can be in SHIFT+U mode and draw everything, then how about allowing "open configurations" where you can drive around anywhere in a track area, with the barriers removed?

Can i hug you? PLEASE!

Thanks for the awesome informations! I was waiting for this.
And again. Thank you!

Uh yee i forgot something: Scawen, can you somehow make the Steeringwheel of the Online players be smooth and not laggy? Because it looks very ..(bad word).. when im making incar videos from Replays.
Hope you can answer this Scawen!

I hope you can answer this Scawen
I think hell just froze over, actually.
This thread is closed

New test patch coming soon (not VWS or S3)
(1152 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG