The online racing simulator
Is there life left in lfs ?
(113 posts, started )
Quote from Dudeu :There should be more pure racing servers what lfs is originaly based on. I just cant understand this cruise & drift shit

fixed
Quote from Dudeu :There should be more pure racing servers what lfs is originaly based on. I just cant understand this cruise shit

lol, there may be some cruise servers, but we have 570 race servers up and running, even with an averaging number of say 20 slots that makes 11400 slots for racers, 10x more than currently online.

No need for more servers, just people :tombstone
Plenty servers, try leagues. Oh wait you don't have S2.
Quote from Becky Rose :Turbosquid is a rip off who only support American artists. Overseas authors are shafted and receive so little of the profit that despite getting the best sales figures of all his affiliate sites my brother found he was earning less than most of his other channels and has since quit the site in disgust after Turbosquid kept increasing his prices over his competitors citing that the quality differential meant they didnt want him being cheaper too. Good models on Turbosquid are typically 3-4 times more expensive than on other channels.

That rant aside the quality of purchased models is very inconsistent, using off the shelf media is fine for holding graphics whilst you are developing, or for set pieces or such like - but finding one that is rigged correctly for your game engine, especially when using a bespoke engine like LFS, meens there is often just as much work converting the model as getting your in house artist to make one for you.

Now the in house artists for LFS we know has produced a lot of new models but has yet to get them "perfect" enough to send them to Scawen for inclusion in the game. In any case it seems Scawen too has been struggling with low productivity because he too is distracted trying to get things "perfect" enough, so it's harldy fair to point fingers at Eric in this regard.

Regarding only have a frontwheel hatchback to race with, have you considered getting a licence for the other cars, I notice the OP account was demo - and one of the grips was not enough content...?

None-the-less after 2 or 3 years play you will most likely find yourself bored again of the extra content in S2. Mind you, that's not bad for £24 right?

I don't play LFS any more myself, after a few years of it being the only game I played I've actually gone back to not playing games again. The question isn't "what can LFS do to keep you interested after a few years play?", there's only so far that £24 will stretch afterall. The question is "What can you play afterwards that's even half as engrossing?".

Personally I turned to guitar. Sadly it cost more than £24 and i'm really struggling with the gameplay.

Hi there!.I used Turbosquid as an example and i know there are many model/texture sites out there and much much cheaper.I mentioned turbosquid as it currently has some really incredible models of my all time
favourite cars.

And 0fcourse in an engine like lfs that uses seperate files for interiors and exteriors i know there is more work to be done and its not a simple drag and drop matter,especially if you want to have realistic damage and good perfomance with lod levels.But at the same time you have to agree that the simple vertex only damage currently lfs has is the same damage that will be seen if you drag and drop a 3d model....

And about content making from what we know models and tracks are Eric's and Victor's work and there is so much high quality work that can be done from 1-2 persons only.Remember a professional modeler does need a good 1-2 weeks to finish a car so having to improve all current content to next gen hd level and making new cars and tracks needs too much time for only 1-2 persons developing only...Making contest for the community would lead to certain models been made by many people simultaneously (the best modelers will model while the best texturer's will texture them...).

And my brother owns lfs for years and he has built himself a simulator frame so there is no point for me to buy an additional license when i don't have the room space to have a sim frame myself...But i made a account to lurk in the forums myself...
Quote from justasimfan :... gazillon of snips...

I take it you're not done yet with agitating for tons of stuff you haven't really thought through. Educate yourself, come up with a rational idea or, better yet, create some actual contribution, InSim app, texture pack, whatever... but this constant babbling about things that we ALL KNOW can be improved is getting really boring...
there is life but i dont know if there's proper public racing anymore. I haven't been racing much since ctra was put down
In response to the question, I think there is life still left in LFS. Although yes it's mostly cruise servers that are populated. Although browsing through the server list there are still plenty of race servers for the 'cruise haters', everybody has a different view on the game.

To the people who are talking about how it takes around 2 weeks to perfect a car if you're a professional modeler. I've seen people create cars for LFS that are much higher quality compared to the models in LFS in a shorter period of time. A good example to use is the VW Scirocco, understandably there are not many people working on perfecting the car but does it really take that long to model one car? taking into consideration the other models that have been created by users. Also i'm sure that many people would voluntarily help to the progression of LFS to bring some more life into the game. I used to really enjoy playing the game in the past, but now I have found it slightly boring and it would be nice to have some new features/cars/tracks or anything for that matter.
Modeling speed is not an issue, Eric does his job just fine.
It's the rest of the patch that holds down everything else ATM.

I just hope in the future they will not put on hold everything else because there's something game braking going on on the other end.
Quote from BlackEye :Modeling speed is not an issue, Eric does his job just fine.

one laser scanned track, one factual car (which is probably also laser scanned), and one mystery car, if it's actually not a rumour. okay.
Quote from tisy0 :In response to the question, I think there is life still left in LFS. Although yes it's mostly cruise servers that are populated. Although browsing through the server list there are still plenty of race servers for the 'cruise haters', everybody has a different view on the game.

To the people who are talking about how it takes around 2 weeks to perfect a car if you're a professional modeler. I've seen people create cars for LFS that are much higher quality compared to the models in LFS in a shorter period of time. A good example to use is the VW Scirocco, understandably there are not many people working on perfecting the car but does it really take that long to model one car? taking into consideration the other models that have been created by users. Also i'm sure that many people would voluntarily help to the progression of LFS to bring some more life into the game. I used to really enjoy playing the game in the past, but now I have found it slightly boring and it would be nice to have some new features/cars/tracks or anything for that matter.

That's exactly what i am talking about my friend.Many community members have released cars(of arguable quality ofcourse) in even less then a week in lfsmods.Some cars (bmws,nissans,golfs,hondas,toyotas,etc..) are of extremely high quality with the only thing keeping them from perfection is that they are tied to the handlings characteristics of the lfs cars they replace as you cannot add them and select them from an additional list but you must replace your current cars.

Now from the dev side of things most people here try to defend their negative view on user help with the same old cliche that they prefer quality over quantity...So come on now they need 6 years to model one car and one track ? So how much perfection there is there ? Grand turismo 200 "premium" models which are mind blowing and have around 2.000.000+ polygons on them required around 2 weeks time from professional modelers.
Quote from justasimfan :Now from the dev side of things most people here try to defend their negative view on user help with the same old cliche that they prefer quality over quantity...So come on now they need 6 years to model one car and one track ? So how much perfection there is there ? Grand turismo 200 "premium" models which are mind blowing and have around 2.000.000+ polygons on them required around 2 weeks time from professional modelers.

I do agree with your point, the community has not seen 2 years worth of labour in terms of new content and we've been kept in the dark as to what Eric has been working on - or if he's just not been productive over the last couple of years.

However I can say that doing a quality car model for a modern engine can easily take up to a month. You can work faster sure, but not all year round week in and week out as you just burn yourself out.

And I do wonder if part of the delay is exactly that, are we dealing with a burn out? Personal lives encroaching on development and the team staying loyal to each other and simply waiting for issues to get resolved before pressing on? Or have the devs been deliberately lowering our expectations in order to surprise us?

What I don't understand is that Scawen has apparently hit technical difficulties to the point there's been no update in years, and during that same time Eric also hasn't produced much finished media.

Now I know that in recent times the devs have strived for perfectionism in LFS, but since when has LFS been perfect?

The bottom line is that we're having the same conversations here as were being had 2 years ago, and a lot of players have moved on from the game.

However Victor has many times in the past made a very valid point - many old players will come back further down the road. The devs are not bothered if people go off and play other games for a few years, they've always remained confident that old players will come back from time to time to see what progress has been made.

When the new patch comes out I think a lot of old players will come back. The question is whether the new patch is good enough for most of them to stay a while. And that, more than anything, would be motivation for me to make the next patch a good one if I was developing LFS.
It must be ..even devs are playing i guess:

27/03/11 Victor joined Team 6ª Fondo ([6ªF])
Quote from Becky Rose :
When the new patch comes out I think a lot of old players will come back. The question is whether the new patch is good enough for most of them to stay a while. And that, more than anything, would be motivation for me to make the next patch a good one if I was developing LFS.

Unfortunately the longer this circus continues, the harder to believe any update will be good enough to revive the community, based on the evidence to date.

To me... LFS is a victim of it's own success. It's progressed from a serious business to a hobby project. Development will probably continue to limp along until funding becomes an issue and forces something to change.

If it weren't for the masses of Drifters and cruisers, LFS would be very dead.
Quote from Macfox :Unfortunately the longer this circus continues, the harder to believe any update will be good enough to revive the community, based on the evidence to date.

To me... LFS is a victim of it's own success. It's progressed from a serious business to a hobby project. Development will probably continue to limp along until funding becomes an issue and forces something to change.

If it weren't for the masses of Drifters and cruisers, LFS would be very dead.

Mate, you are wrong about this case. But in that case that without drifters and cruisers, LFS people would decrease greatly as amount in daily, in that case you are right.
Quote from macfox :unfortunately the longer this circus continues, the harder to believe any update will be good enough to revive the community, based on the evidence to date.

To me... Lfs is a victim of it's own success. It's progressed from a serious business to a hobby project. Development will probably continue to limp along until funding becomes an issue and forces something to change.

If it weren't for the masses of drifters and cruisers, lfs would be very dead.

+1
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :Mate, you are wrong about this case.

No offence... but if you witnessed rise of LFS popularity from RSC days (circa 2001) to 2005, the overall LFS picture is vastly different. The steady decline from this point, bar the old release/update is saddening. S2 looked like it was going to turn things around and it did to a degree.But ultimately the string of uninspiring updates (some necessary and important but still uninspiring) dampened spirits and the rest is history and here we are now, clinging to drifters and cruises as evidence of LFS's popularity.

It's really hard to comprehend why they let a vivid community wither away along with the massive opportunity to take LFS mainstream.
Quote from bunder9999 :one laser scanned track, one factual car (which is probably also laser scanned), and one mystery car, if it's actually not a rumour. okay.

Quote from Scawen :News from www.lfs.net :
Eric has been working on some more S3 content but he would like to get nearer to finishing before we show any new pictures.

Also, just because they didn't release any new content, it doesn't mean it takes a year for Eric to build one car.
Quote from kamo2000 :It must be ..even devs are playing i guess:

OMG! That team is in my league
Quote from kamo2000 :It must be ..even devs are playing i guess:

wait a minute why victor is in Spanish team
I think before any patches are released the game will have died of content starvation
All these false, made-up conclusions..
Not too long ago, a thread showed up with people complaining about the lack of progress reports, not knowing what the devs are doing, and yet so many people can make up that lfs is a serious company rather than a hobby. Seriously, where do you get all this from? It's based on nothing. This whole discussion is based on made-up conclusions. ''Eric has only made 1 car and a track as new S3 content.'' Seriously, where do you people get all this information from? Scawen said Eric has been working on S3 content, does that immediately mean it's just the Scirocco and Rockingham? He might have been working on new interiors, and 5 new models, who knows? Ofcourse one of the risks of the devs not keeping the users updated, is what is happening now, blatant speculation by the users.
None of the devs ever confirmed these points. If so, and I've missed it, fair enough, but post a damn link to prove your point. It's like people just discuss to have something to do on these forums, no wonder the general LFS Discussion forum is full of nonsense.

As for the OP; time to leave LFS be for you and play something else. Come back when an update comes to find out if it's sufficient for you.
I sure as hell know it'll be for me, assuming the tire physics have dramatically changed, driving the cars will be a whole new learning experience, which is fun in my point of view. Heck, I'll still enjoy LFS for what it is at this moment.
Quote from skywatcher122 :wait a minute why victor is in Spanish team

It seems like the team managers added Victor instead of victor_lfs. Check out their website, there's victor_lfs, not Victor.
Quote from Stiggie :All these false, made-up conclusions..
Not too long ago, a thread showed up with people complaining about the lack of progress reports, not knowing what the devs are doing, and yet so many people can make up that lfs is a serious company rather than a hobby. Seriously, where do you get all this from? It's based on nothing. This whole discussion is based on made-up conclusions. ''Eric has only made 1 car and a track as new S3 content.'' Seriously, where do you people get all this information from? Scawen said Eric has been working on S3 content, does that immediately mean it's just the Scirocco and Rockingham? He might have been working on new interiors, and 5 new models, who knows? Ofcourse one of the risks of the devs not keeping the users updated, is what is happening now, blatant speculation by the users.
None of the devs ever confirmed these points. If so, and I've missed it, fair enough, but post a damn link to prove your point. It's like people just discuss to have something to do on these forums, no wonder the general LFS Discussion forum is full of nonsense.

As for the OP; time to leave LFS be for you and play something else. Come back when an update comes to find out if it's sufficient for you.
I sure as hell know it'll be for me, assuming the tire physics have dramatically changed, driving the cars will be a whole new learning experience, which is fun in my point of view. Heck, I'll still enjoy LFS for what it is at this moment.

Looking all the way back from 2001, the perspective is vastly different. It's all a matter of context. If you look only at post S2 then things might not seems as bad in some people eyes.

As you said, any comment here is really just speculation. Some comments are uniformed, or short sighted, and some are based on experience and history.
I think compared to many of the Sim Racing Games out there, Live For Speed always has its own aspects which I still believe other Developers may have not concentrated as much on it.

For example,
The great thing about the "locked" no mod style approach has mean't that everyone can join without the need for a certain version (except maybe a LFS S2 Version) to join to a server.

LFS still to this day provides one of the best drifting simulation around, even if someone took a small break from LFS they would be sure to play it again in the very near future.

New car content would be nice eventually but I have to admit there is a fair selection of car variety, and for a FWD hatch there is always the XF GTI.

I think the biggest thing at the moment would be tracks, the current 7 tracks are varied but it would definitely bring in some new life and bring out some new race/drift/cruise locations.

Is there life left in lfs ?
(113 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG