The online racing simulator
Is there life left in lfs ?
(113 posts, started )
Before you burn me on the stake i am not here to bash the game for god's shake.It was great news when we received in december the progress report so even if the worst were to happen at least we are finally getting the new ultra realistic physics along a new track or two and a car or two....

But...will it be enough to resurrect the game ? I mean there is so many times you can race on a run of the mill track like rockingham and how long most people will really drive a front wheel drive hatch ?

And its great we getting ultra realistic physics but what about more ?

Graphics are ancient as the render engine still is based on dx8 and is missing real time lighting,real time reflections,hdr,bloom,3d trees/animated pit crews/spectators etc...Still there are no weather effects...

I have mentioned many times the lfsmods website were some very talented people have made a huge number of incredible looking car models .If the devs used those incredible talented people to help them upgrade the existing cars with their real version and upgrade the current tracks while they were making new ones or even let them make new tracks and choose the best in a competition to be incorporated in the main game then the game would be resurrected...But they are against this sadly...

Still they could buy ultra realistic models from 3d modeling markets like Turbosquid but i don't believe they are going to...

So what do you think ?
Scirococococococococococococococococococococococococo
I am still here! Not so often, but yes! There is life in LFS.
I am still here yet, so if im gone there is no life left in LFS
I'm still here and check the forums daily, however the boringness of LFS has also stroke me. I don't enjoy racing so more as I used to do. I was fully addicted from 2002 till about end of 2010. But now I only turn up for league races and a few times, only a few times, still race in public.
They should add some official servers.

Servers that are always there nonetheless.

I'd rather join an official server than a random server with some clan name or w/e.

I rarely see any servers other than cruise, drift or demo, the rest of the servers are empty.

Also, more interaction about what's going on would be better.
-
(Stiggie) DELETED by Stiggie
i bought the game last year, so long after the "early 2009 s3 release" was announced, and this game still satisfies me as there are a lot of leagues (even new ones) which are great. i got known to many great and experienced racers who feel the same. sure they make jokes about s3 to be released in early 2038 or even later, but hey, what should we do, there are only 3 guys developing and spending their freetime in developing this game, so what did you expect.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :They should add some official servers.

I'd rather join an official server than a random server with some clan name or w/e.

I rarely see any servers other than cruise, drift or demo, the rest of the servers are empty.

This.

And if the official server had an automatic random track/car rotation every so, it would be perfect. But please no points, safety ratings and bullshits like that. I really miss classic racing.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :They should add some official servers.

Err, good point, but who would admin those "official" servers? I highly doubt the devs have enough time/interrest to waste in a Scavier-badged CTRA-like system. I also highly doubt they're tempted in hiring external people to do the chores for them, but we're getting back to the endless debate re-launched by OP.
You're lucky that there are still teams willing to pay for servers, without them there would be nowhere to race at all.
SCIIIIROOOOcOOOOCOOCOCOCOCOCOCOCOCOCOCOCOCAARGGHHH
Quote from justasimfan :Before you burn me on the stake i am not here to bash the game for god's shake.It was great news when we received in december the progress report so even if the worst were to happen at least we are finally getting the new ultra realistic physics along a new track or two and a car or two....

But...will it be enough to resurrect the game ? I mean there is so many times you can race on a run of the mill track like rockingham and how long most people will really drive a front wheel drive hatch ?

And its great we getting ultra realistic physics but what about more ?

Graphics are ancient as the render engine still is based on dx8 and is missing real time lighting,real time reflections,hdr,bloom,3d trees/animated pit crews/spectators etc...Still there are no weather effects...

I have mentioned many times the lfsmods website were some very talented people have made a huge number of incredible looking car models .If the devs used those incredible talented people to help them upgrade the existing cars with their real version and upgrade the current tracks while they were making new ones or even let them make new tracks and choose the best in a competition to be incorporated in the main game then the game would be resurrected...But they are against this sadly...

Still they could buy ultra realistic models from 3d modeling markets like Turbosquid but i don't believe they are going to...

So what do you think ?

So everything in bold you have said before.

Okay, First things first, People need to understand LFS is not a commercial game being made and published for your money, It is made by three people with lifes and they cannot constantly tend to their creation.

Seriously, Justasimfan, I'm not trolling you, But please quiet, LFS is not going to completely die anytime soon, Maybe sometime around 2015 it won't be talked about anymore, Why can't you go play some other game, There is countless racing games you can go and enjoy yourself with, I hope you're actually reading this because I rarely post anymore (Guess why, It's simple.) I'm quietly watching LFS and it's progress and waiting. Waiting for either the tire physics or the car, In the meantime, I've been enjoying my Railworks and my DiRT 2 (Omg, Another racing game, Have we lost the concept, JASF?)

It's been said before, If you want to make a game better than LFS, They can't stop you, Go ahead and buy models that almost no computer can run, So I can race screenshots, WOOT. I'm sure the moderators are tired of locking closing or removing irrational posts on every thread you make, I don't know if you are trolling and this is a second acount, Or what your whole deal is, But stop bugging people about DX8 or DX9.. We're on DX11 now, And so what? I still own a PS2 and alot of old games.

LFS is a special kind of racing game, IT probably won't completely die out, It might, It might grow as huge as EA and honestly I don't really care what happens to it as I enjoy it, Most of the community is self righting (TVE, Rockclan.... lol... And Logitek and his forum AIDS.) And tight knit communities will usually organize LAN parties or organized servers for a few nights and race it. I still have DTR. Skins in my folder of skins and setups waiting for LFS to move on, JASF, Stop obsessing over the game, They will e-mail you when something happens, That's why I've been loosely trolling because I saw the update of news.

Please man, Find something new to talk about, We don't want to hear about this what.. every.. other.. 3.. four.. months? I agree, LFS looks pretty bad compared to modern games, But I never heard that they were trying to beat Forsa or Grand Turismo either.
simple answer to the thread title
yes.
I lost all interest a few months ago after hearing Duke Nukem will probably be out before S3...
LFS will never die
Quote from justasimfan :Graphics are ancient as the render engine still is based on dx8 and is missing real time lighting,real time reflections,hdr,bloom,3d trees/animated pit crews/spectators etc...Still there are no weather effects...

Honestly, I like LFS's graphics over pretty much any other racing title. Real-time reflections, lighting and shadows would be nice, as would weather effects, though. Animated spectators are pointless; if you're looking at the spectators you're not driving fast enough. Pitcrews would be neat if done well (which they almost never are). Bloom is unrealistic in 99% of uses (the actual real-life effect is a lot rarer to see than what is displayed in most games) and I don't think it's at all necessary. There are some 3D (and animated!) trees in LFS, though most are indeed sprites; which is still the norm for many games anyways.

In my opinion, what LFS needs is more tracks that are interesting to drive on. Aston is boring. Westhill is boring. Fern Bay is unrealistic and mostly boring. Rockingham I can't imagine to be too interesting (though the detail will make it pretty!). Blackwood is fairly nice and I quite like South City, but we need more tracks, historic type tracks like Mosport, St. Jovite and Zandvoort. Tracks with exciting elevation changes that are challenging and brilliant to drive; there are none of them in LFS, and that is what is missing most IMO. I'd be perfectly happy if the graphics engine never changes, and the physics as they are now even are still fan-bloody-tastic. I just want more exciting places to flog the cars around, and maybe a couple more classes of car (a prototype, a rear-drive touring car).
Can't say I've noticed hdr, bloom, animated spectators and all those fancy graphics stuff in iRacing...
No it's far from dead. And yes more tracks would be a godsend! that is all
multi-threaded code for more than single core cpus (single cores stopped being sold well over 6 years ago), multi-card gfx increases, bump & spec maps, masks (to allow dirt layers), dynamic lighting.

Everyone has different ideas on how to pull this out of the dark ages, these are just mine.

It`s beyond dead for me, I`ve moved on to far more flexible things. Hopefully someday it`ll pull itself back together.
My list is simple. Something that attracts people, gives more excitment to every combo: rain and night racing...

I think it would ressurect lfs for sure
LFS is neither alive or dead. It can't be living... Metaphorically theres alot of people on LFS racing, drifting, rallying, cruising, dragging. Just go join a league
Quote from Nadeo4441 :My list is simple. Something that attracts people, gives more excitment to every combo: rain and night racing...

I think it would ressurect lfs for sure

Very true.
Quote from Bean0 :You're lucky that there are still teams willing to pay for servers, without them there would be nowhere to race at all.

Good point.

Not that I've raced since 2008 or so, but good point nonetheless. I hope the devs appreciate it too.
There IS still life in LFS. And there will always be while the people who REALLY like the game still play it (not saying that people taking a break from LFS aren't real fans) and its major attractions stay alive (the online main events like MoE or NDR and many other fun leagues, public servers).

I've been online since Summer 2008 and I could see at least 15-20 servers that had 20+ people racing and nowadays you only see Cargame.nl and a couple of cruise servers that are full plus some league servers on the weekend.
And I still think that the major downside during that time span was just CTRA closing down, the rest was loss of interest. But that doesn't really mean that LFS is going down the shitter, does it?
To have the whole grid inside one second like we do now in Apex Cup clearly shows that challenge never dies. Battle with tires, curbs, g-forces never stops intriguing us. It's what in your head, not what eyes can see.

I will leave to imagination the challenges that will come with even improved physics

(113 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG