The online racing simulator
Sell LFS on Steam!
(152 posts, started )
Well, that's not entirely correct. Steam check your credentials whenever you launch it, LFS needs to be unlocked only once in a lifetime (in theory that is). So if you happen to be not connected to the net, Steam won't log you in and you cannot play any of your legally purchased games.
You can log into Steam just fine without present internet connection, if you've checked 'Remember my password' box.
Quote from MadCatX :Well, that's not entirely correct. Steam check your credentials whenever you launch it, LFS needs to be unlocked only once in a lifetime (in theory that is). So if you happen to be not connected to the net, Steam won't log you in and you cannot play any of your legally purchased games.

That's what the steam offline mode is for.

But I have to agree, meanwhile Steam is a good selling platform, but I'd say LFS isn't "ready" for mass-marketing, as it looks like.
Great, now would that work if you restarted your PC and went without the net connection from the get go?
Anyway, this is just one of the annoyances Steam has. Many of them were already mentioned and modifying LFS to support Steam interface would also take some development time that could be better spent elsewhere. Maintaining two separate versions of LFS would increase Scawen's workload with no real benefit. If LFS were designed to be sold on Steam from the beginning, fine, but why suddenly change the publishing platform? It's not like LFS is not advertised at all, people serious about racing sims will find their way to it. Annoying banners popping up whenever you fire up Steam will be of no help...
Quote from MadCatX :Great, now would that work if you restarted your PC and went without the net connection from the get go?

Yes, it will work.

"Banners" can be disabled in settings. Also you don't have to modify anything to add Steam support, Valve does it for you
I've taken steam away from the internet for a couple of weeks on my laptop and not had a problem - just make sure nothing's part-way through updating when you pull the plug.

Steam integration works already - you can add LFS as a non-steam shortcut and all the steam overlay stuff works fine. The only thing I've noticed when using it via steam is the occasional crash - most likely down to the graphics hooks and whatever version/hybrid version of DX LFS uses.
Quote from Kid222 :Steam as a selling platform is good idea. I don't understand the hate against it, it works perfectly and i'm very satisfied customer. You get all updates, patches and information first-hand and i'm not even talking about some sales.

This.
Steam is the New world order manifest in gaming..lol , no thanks not for me. I would rather fund a 3 man dev team than to give any percentage of my money to the man!

But attracting more racers to lfs would be good so the dev's have more funds to throw at the sim. Maybe we could all do a bit of virtual advertising by making lfs skins for cars in rfactor or make some tracks with lfs advertisement's everywhere..hehe

Live and race Free my freinds.... and say no to steam:banana:
What about that steam thing with like "Click here to visit site".
Too much cultural shock for Steam gamers used to games made with classic development schemes. IE LFS on Steam would really only be feasible for the next big final release. S3 or whatever.
Seeing as LFS is going down the sh*tter, I don't see how it could hurt it.
Love LFS with all my heart, Love steam with all my heart, Combine the two, Please godnowtfbbq

(lets not forget the people who will think it's need for speed... And get Electronic Arts up-roared..)
Sell LFS on Steam!
Since I'm not sure if S3 will take even longer then duke 3d forever to come out, why not sell LFS on steam to gain some critical user base that LFS needs to revitalize the community and also penetrate the US market!? LFS is still THE BEST simulator I've EVER played. It's got the right mix of serious racing and messing around that I like.

I can join any server hop in most races at any point on, and there are live racing events that take place in the community.

I think adding it to steam would only increase and bolster it's sales since I'll bet the sales of the game have sagged dramatically since it's pretty old now.

I don't see any down sides to having this game avail on steam?
Its good idea
It's not a good idea, because LFS isn't the kind of game that is for the masses.
Quote from bmwe30m3 :It's not a good idea, because LFS isn't the kind of game that is for the masses.

Is it one of those "Simmers are so much above the rest" statements.
Quote from Chupacabras84 :Is it one of those "Simmers are so much above the rest" statements.

Yea since the others don't race seriously. There are too many non racers there now too.
I also don't see any benefit in this (at least if you rule out the added publicity).
LfS is already digitally distributed, and by not using steam or a similar service, there is no additioal step between the devs and the customers, which means that a) the release of patches (i know...) is slightly faster, as they don't have to put it through and adapt it to a different publishing channel, and b) LfS is cheaper/ the devs have more revenue per sale, as there is no third party wanting to earn money with it.
Alltho I hate Steam I don't see anything wrong about publishing LFS on it.
/facepalm.

More sales = more cash = better development. Perhaps another dev, that they pay.

More money is good in any way, if theres many new "newbies" then they will most likely only go on public servers, the leagues will stay the same, and most of the proper racers in lfs is mostly in leagues.
Quote from aroX123 :Perhaps another dev, that they pay.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC one of the dev stated once they wouldn't be considering that.

Quote :if theres many new "newbies" then they will most likely only go on public servers, the leagues will stay the same

I doubt it. Sure the masses would stay on public servers. But a fraction of them would certainly make the move. See the amount of 2009 joiners from Finland involved in league racing since MKP came. Nothing to worry about if that fraction is mainly clean, but I highly doubt it once again.

And TBH I belive that having public racing filled by numpties(more than nowadays I mean) is certainly a lot worse than a standard drop on the confidential racing scene. Whoever buys S2 starts with public racing first. And if this person gets wrecked, insulted, or whatever in his first public racing attempts, it's highly unlikely that he would get involved on long term, advice someone to buy the game too, or give positive opinions in other simracing forums.
Just more Wreckers on the Demo...

Good plan.

I say NO.

Sell LFS on Steam!
(152 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG