The online racing simulator
Sell LFS on Steam!
(152 posts, started )
As far as I know god is a definition, not a name. Therefore it doesnt have to have a capital G.
It would be a great idea, especially as LFS works so well with a mouse too.
I would love to see LFS leverage steamworks, but I don't think it'd make a very big difference in my LFS experience.

What would be the purpose of publishing there anyway? There are plenty of sim sites that will do articles on LFS when S3 drops. LFS comes up on the second page of results when I google "racing simulator" while signed out.
Quote from larswey :As far as I know god is a definition, not a name. Therefore it doesnt have to have a capital G.

You think this is a game moth*** ****er?!?!
Quote from mp5cod :You think this is a game moth*** ****er?!?!

dont be silly... its a simulator
What? You are all wrong. LFS is a masturbating machine for all the basement virgins.

None of you understand the concept of steam, if we did this, there would be NO s3 or any updates because of valves stupid policy

I ABSOLUTELY SAY NO.
technically they could add s3 as DLC
Steam is horible... I refuse to install any game that requires it.

I could however, see LFS development being setup as a funding project on KickStarter.com or IndiGoGo.com ... may also generate enough extra funds for them to HIRE more devs.
Quote from Bmxtwins :technically they could add s3 as DLC

DLC release model would actually work perfect for LFS, since it has basically always done that to begin with. Only with the exception that you always had the data already on your hdd, just not unlocked. They would have to change that a little for steam, but I can't see it being a massive problem to fix.

Then again, I doubt we'll be seeing LFS on steam, even though it would be nice and bring more publicity so more people could experience this gem of simulator. From what I've gathered during my years here, the devs want full control of everything. Steam, even if it's currently the nicest digital distribution platform, doesn't offer that.
#113 - col
Quote from Draconious :
... may also generate enough extra funds for them to HIRE more devs.

They don't want to hire more Devs, it's against the philosophy behind LFS.
read paragraph 2 of this post for explanation from Scawen.
Quote from JasonJ :From my experiences.
Any patches that come out for a DVD original version take much longer to be supported on the steam version. (GTR-Evo)Then you have half the users on a different version and forums related to that software get clogged with confused people trying to run updates on steam versions or vice versa.

I've had one steam game (ShaunWhite), it never included the patch required to MAKE THE GAME WORK so I had to do backflips to install the official downloadable patch over the steam version.
Steam installs in it's own file structure so most user created mods/addons won't even work.
Also sometimes stuff is supported on the steam version and NOT on the DVD version. (DCS:BS)

I constanly read:
I have steam version it works fine for me and others can't make it work.
or
I have DVD version it works fine and others can't make it work.

If you are unfortunate enough to have bought the wrong version then tough.........

My experiences with it are enough to make me never want to touch it again.

It's annoying. They should either release something fully supported on Steam AND DVD or not at all, or just on Steam only. Not half assed mishmashed poo just so they can turn a few more $$$.

so steam sucks because the publisher and the devs of each game dont give steam devs the patches to be released the same day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OWL7AzvHo
Quote from mp5cod :Im going to report you to the administrators. It isnt a rule but it unethical to be using the lower case g.

You mean lower case g in the word 'god'?

Oops!
well racing experience is on steam these days so lets see how it will goes and its free to play..
Also, what's the interest in publishing a race sim which doesn't have nothing excitingly new for 7 years?
If LFS ended up on Steam, it would be the end for me. Any software that requires me to install Steam I don't bother.:thumbsdow
Quote from Hotdogxx60 :If LFS ended up on Steam, it would be the end for me. Any software that requires me to install Steam I don't bother.:thumbsdow

Why?
Quote from Storm_Cloud :Why?

It's just me, my kids are all over it and they give me a hard time over it. When I buy software I don't want to login in to another party to do it.

Origin for Battlefield 3 is a good example, I brought a disk and I can't play the thing unless I go through some web interface, played it once and haven't been on since.
Quote from Hotdogxx60 :It's just me, my kids are all over it and they give me a hard time over it. When I buy software I don't want to login in to another party to do it.

Origin for Battlefield 3 is a good example, I brought a disk and I can't play the thing unless I go through some web interface, played it once and haven't been on since.

And you don't have to insert a CD in your PC to play. It is a very good trade-off in my opinion. There is also a world, where convinience matters, between Origin and Steam.
Quote from Hotdogxx60 :It's just me, my kids are all over it and they give me a hard time over it. When I buy software I don't want to login in to another party to do it.

The web interface of BF3 has nothing to do with Origin you know, it's just a retarded decision made between DICE and EA. Origin sucks in a million other ways though.

I've grown so fond of Steam (and GOG) that I don't even have an optical drive installed on my gaming PC anymore. It's certainly the way future computing is moving towards once internet providers get their act together and start providing properly fast connections to anyone who wants them.
I don't use steam at all either.
GOG is completely different story, I did buy 30+ games there.

For me the difference is DRM-free packaging, so I can have my own offline backups of installs, and I don't have to run some resident weird piece of SW which is checking my PC and stuff while I want just to run some stupid game (= steam client), it's basically so similar to malware, that anyone hijacking steam control servers would have serious botnet available within minutes. I don't like that idea, after all, it's just computer games, nothing important.
its not about if you use steam or not. What its about is advertisement. The more places you can officially buy LFS from, the more the Sim will become recognised, and for that, you will have the community growing again. Something as prestigious as steam, you can have all the information there, and also a preview for what its all about here. The LFS population is in a rapid decline, we need some more options on which we can present this to other people.

The only way we are getting new drivers here is through word of mouth, nothing more. People need to start finding us for themselfs and come with an 'empty mind' so to speak, a fresh face to bring new idea's.
Quote from xtraction :its not about if you use steam or not. What its about is advertisement. The more places you can officially buy LFS from, the more the Sim will become recognised, and for that, you will have the community growing again. Something as prestigious as steam, you can have all the information there, and also a preview for what its all about here. The LFS population is in a rapid decline, we need some more options on which we can present this to other people.

The only way we are getting new drivers here is through word of mouth, nothing more. People need to start finding us for themselfs and come with an 'empty mind' so to speak, a fresh face to bring new idea's.

I agree at some extent.

But, even LFS is still being regarded as one of the most fun and realistic race sims, there is no point in advertise a product which wasn't significantly updated in 5+ years. Imo of course.
It would be looked like an old game that was good and "new" few years ago, if you know what I mean.

It is a good idea, don't get me wrong. It is just too soon to see LFS being downloadable in Steam... or too late.

Sell LFS on Steam!
(152 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG