The online racing simulator
You feel the force that is acting on the wheel, nothing more, nothing less.
i feel the unload when going over bumps but its not as dramatic as in other games. it feels more realistic to me....
considering the limitations of force feedback with the momos and DFP.
Sorry if this is answered elsewhere but i was wondering what sort of time line to expect for patches? Now i know your gonna say it depends on how big the patch changes the game but as a basic time frame are we talking weeks, months, every 3/4 months etc, just curious as U came out a couple of days after i brought the game
It really does depend. Sometimes we'll get a compatible test patch a day for 10 days, other times we'll wait 6 months. The only thing we can be certain on is that we will get a patch, and that when Scawen releases a patch it's never just boring stuff, he always includes something cool
is there a filename length restriction in welcome message file and/or track restriction file!

for the track restriction file I recognized that the filename length (without the extension .txt) can only be 11...
is this correct?
and why this restriction filename length?

/EDIT:
well, same for welcome file!
Yes, that is correct. 15 characters including the extension.

The file size is limited because they are stored in memory, in a buffer of limited size. I don't like to make buffers larger than they need to be and it seemed like 15 characters (requiring a small buffer of size 16) would be enough.
Quote from Scawen :Yes, that is correct. 15 characters including the extension.

The file size is limited because they are stored in memory, in a buffer of limited size. I don't like to make buffers larger than they need to be and it seemed like 15 characters (requiring a small buffer of size 16) would be enough.

hmmm...
first of all thx for answering, but we are under Windows Systems, so maybe you can change that buffer to 255...

the next thing is, i can't use separat folders for welcome messages and track restrictions or even longer file names!
me saves those text files depending on the name of the settings (cfg) file.

so, if i have a setting called server1.cfg the welcome message and track restriction file is called server1_welcome.txt and server1_tracks.txt!

so I have a nice overview of which file is for which configuration!

maybe you can really change the buffer to 255...
*hoping*
I will not change it to 255. The smaller the memory usage in a program, the more chance that any accessed data is in the cache. Of course we don't need this particular buffer access to be very fast but it just spreads out the other program data. I always keep the size small and tidy, don't waste memory and that's one reason why LFS runs fast.

I could increase it to 31 (a 32 byte buffer). Then you would have space for your folder name and file name. Am I correct that you are able to use folder names right now, if the foilder and file name are very small? My point is, if I only increased the text size limit, then that is all you need?
Quote from Scawen :I will not change it to 255. The smaller the memory usage in a program, the more chance that any accessed data is in the cache. Of course we don't need this particular buffer access to be very fast but it just spreads out the other program data. I always keep the size small and tidy, don't waste memory and that's one reason why LFS runs fast.

I could increase it to 31 (a 32 byte buffer). Then you would have space for your folder name and file name. Am I correct that you are able to use folder names right now, if the foilder and file name are very small? My point is, if I only increased the text size limit, then that is all you need?

Currently I don't use a file path, so a size of 32 would be coOL!
I only need an increase in the filename length not in the filesize!
So that the filename of the welcome textfile can contain more that 15
characters.

so now only 12345678901.txt works,
hopefully in future also 123456789012345678901234567.txt

hope u understand what i mean...
only the filename length is important, not the filesize!

thx,
holger
Quote from CrazyICE :Currently I don't use a file path, so a size of 32 would be coOL!
So that the filename of the welcome textfile can contain more that 15
characters.

so now only 12345678901.txt works,
hopefully in future also 123456789012345678901234567.txt

hope u understand what i mean...
only the filename length is important, not the filesize!

thx,
holger

You can't just use shorter filenames?
Quote from CrazyICE :Currently I don't use a file path, so a size of 32 would be coOL!

I'm very sure Scawen realized that. Still, do files located in sub-folders work now (if the total length of the relative path is shorter than 16 chars)?
Yes, what Android said. Just trying to save me running a test.

Does abc\xyz.txt already work NOW? If so then yes, it's only filename length increase, no special folder handling.
-
(Gentlefoot) DELETED by Gentlefoot
Quote from Gentlefoot :Bring back eight dot three thats what I say.

Who remembers Jetpac on the ZX Spectrum? Great game and it used less than 16kb of memory. Now we want 32 bytes just for a file name!

That's called progress... and it's a feature not a bug!
well, i wondered why only 15 chars, cause we are under windows...
that's all...

if file name length will not increase, i have to do saveing and reading of those
text files in a differnet way...

and well, i just asked...
Can't you simply do the test for Scawen?

(I can't, I'm at work now)
CrazyICE : You said that you wanted to store the files in different folders (a folder for each server, I think). So all I am asking is : does it work already (although the filenames are too short now) with folders?

But now it's taken so long to ask the question, I should have just done the test myself. Sorry I wasn't more clear about what I was asking - I just thought it was a quick question and you might already know the answer.
Quote from Scawen :CrazyICE : You said that you wanted to store the files in different folders (a folder for each server, I think). So all I am asking is : does it work already (although the filenames are too short now) with folders?

But now it's taken so long to ask the question, I should have just done the test myself. Sorry I wasn't more clear about what I was asking - I just thought it was a quick question and you might already know the answer.

sorry, scawen, i must have missed something!
really sorry...

and a meant i don't know if i shall store them in different folders or, just like i now do, in the LFS root folder and name them after the configuration file!
see here: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=153591#post153591

and me is at work too

Live for Speed S2 Version S (NOW U)
(367 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG