The online racing simulator
Quote from PoVo :This of course:

[IMG]

[img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_r4TzZPyyD-c/S0D-e1jPcdI/AAAAAAAAAe0/0UH8vJYbimM/s400/go-big-truck.jpg[/img]
i win!
Where's the test patch now? I'm ready
Oh man, Scawen. What to say...

For starters, there are still many of us who remember the very beginning of this game and will always hold LFS very dearly.
It was back in, what was it, 2002 ? Back then it was one of the most realistic sims evah ! I still play from time to time
and im always amazed at how natural it feels. Sure, the tire physics arent perfect, nothing is, but the whole 'game' has always
felt natural to me (the gui, the online racing, the setups, the multiple options, the close contact with the devs, the community
well, the old one...lol...etc..)

A vote for LFS is a vote against deadline-driven faceless global companies buying each other until they merge into this one big
ugly entity sucking the life out of us. Forget about technical support. Just format, reinstall or buy a better PC. With this comes
compromises many are not willing to live with. Many have gotten used (or were simply not alive before that..) to this instant
society where you can blame others for your impatience. That's a shame really, because many of us can asure you, happyness
doesnt come from instant gratification.

I for one feel lucky to have found LFS when i did. I've always felt priviledged to be part of this community ( although my
beginnings were disturbing to some..) and i'll continue to support the devs whatever they ultimately do with LFS. Sure, its
easy to sit here and bitch on a forum because you didnt get the xmas gift you wanted. Then again, did you act nice ALL
year ? Really ? What about those 'links' i see in your browser....mmmm. I thought so.

So, yeah, of course i'd love to have ANY 'alpha', 'beta', 'test' patch. I mean, that's always been a part of LFS, the constant
progress and the feeling we were part of it. That is, unfortunately, the thing i miss the most. This tyre physics is a pandora's
box ( it is even for people MAKING real tyres...). While i doubt Scawen can attain the level of perfection he is aiming for in
reasonable time, im sure he knows that and will eventually find a compromise he is confortable with. When that day comes,
i'll still be here and i'll be happy to go online and try it . :P

Until then, Scawen, Victor, oh and Eric (we barely knew ya), i wish you a happy christmas and a happy new year. Take a
break from the stresses of LFS, go drift your cars in the snow while NOT visualising the tire and what it must be doing
(im talking to you Scawen...lol) and let the ingrate kids complain, they always will.
i think if scawen release the scirocco + rockingham + the actual physics that can be much better form him because the LFS users will be "happy" (oh new patch, now we can wait for the "perfect" tyre physics and maybe more things) while scawen eric and victor can work calmed because lfs users are almost "happy". Then the Dev team could look at ideas and bugs of the patch to improve it...

PS: Sry for my bad english...
thanks for support, and merry christmas and happy new year to you and the family
Quote from Fonnybone :Oh man, Scawen. What to say...

SNIP, SNIP, SNIP...

Until then, Scawen, Victor, oh and Eric (we barely knew ya), i wish you a happy christmas and a happy new year. Take a
break from the stresses of LFS, go drift your cars in the snow while NOT visualising the tire and what it must be doing
(im talking to you Scawen...lol) and let the ingrate kids complain, they always will.

+1

As much as I would love to be playing a patch right now I cannot really complain. I rarely play computer games due to work, but when I get a chance on my holidays I still dabble in LFS and enjoy it. I'm not as fast as I used to be, but it's still a good laugh.

My mind boggles at the complexities of the latest tyre model. As Fonnybone says, I can only hope that Scawen finds a model that he is happy with and can release to us all to play with soon
I've been thinking about just how complicated Scawen's work is with the tyre physics. I'd be interested in seeing the formulas inside the final product's code. Something tell me our mind would be quite blown.

It really makes you wonder just how realistic common games are, especially those who claim to be simulators (hello GT5). Such games being first of all products that must bring in money, I wouldn't be surprised if the same code has been used more than once, and deemed to be close enough to reality, or what people might want to actually play. In the end, I truly expect Scawen's tyre simulation to be the best of its kind, ever.

Try it for a moment. Imagine all the variables involved. Then think about the fact that not only Scawen must translate that to be computed, but it has to be made in real-time.

Mind: blown.
Oh.

Was hoping for a patch or something.

I'll just keep checking LFS from time to time. As soon as the patch is released I'll get my wheel from the closet.
Haha, today we have the tire physics issue, tomorrow will be the aerodynamics issue :icon23:
Then the engine + transmission
Then the damage model
Ah I've forgotten the massive graphic engine update
:monkey:
It seems to be the beginning of the pain today.

PS: AI too
Quote from Bogey Jammer :Haha, today we have the tire physics issue, tomorrow will be the aerodynamics issue :icon23:
Then the engine + transmission
Then the damage model
Ah I've forgotten the massive graphic engine update
:monkey:
It seems to be the beginning of the pain today.

PS: AI too

Attached images says it all, pick a feeling.
Attached images
cryf7u12.jpg
1280395475446.png
Quote from RasmusL :Honestly I have no idea what the red and yellow strip means

it means you wouldnt be able to see how fast the wheel rotates (or if it rotates at all) without the colours
Quote from Inouva :Is B,the wheel is accelerating...

You can see the force generated ( Red strip ) from the rim, the force is generated by counter-clockwise

The red strip generate the energy that move the car - the yellow strip is the pasive energy till reach again the point of the red strip

Hope you understand

I think you are not right. maybe im not, but i think the wheel is spinning in clocwise
Quote from Fonnybone :A vote for LFS is a vote against deadline-driven faceless global companies buying each other until they merge into this one big ugly entity sucking the life out of us. Forget about technical support. Just format, reinstall or buy a better PC. With this comes
compromises many are not willing to live with. Many have gotten used (or were simply not alive before that..) to this instant
society where you can blame others for your impatience. That's a shame really, because many of us can asure you, happyness
doesnt come from instant gratification.

So, all these "evil faceless global companies" include those two or three italians that make up the whole company of Kunos Simulazioni which actually makes THE best sim out there right now? Have you seen the cost of netKar pro? Let me tell you, it's even cheaper than LFS, and it's light years ahead in tyre modelling, sounds, graphics, you name it... And yes, those 3 guys not only keep on developing, but have promised for Christmas 2 new cars, one new track, and rain! All this coupled to the best physics you have ever seen, very nice graphics but playable on even old pc's and sounds that rock... Oh, and the ability to add community made tracks, which means REAL WORLD TRACKS (how many of those are in LFS? 0? )
Or maybe the HUGE company of ISI, the makers of rFactor, and now rFactor 2 which is coming soon and will once again set the benchmark in simulators? The only sim that applies to your rule is iRacing, and then again, they deliver a product that is perfect from any angle (at least in its current version) so you get what you pay for...
So, those excuses that LFS is cheap, LFS has a small dev team and LFS is personalised friendly community don't suffice anymore and what's more they are not excuses for the ancient sim that LFS has now become.
I mean come on, we know tyre physics never end getting better, but what about the DX8 graphics engine? The painfully awful sound engine? The painfully obsolete and fictional content that hasn't been updated for 2+ years?
All those people moaning have no right to, since no-one promised on-time updates and in regular intervals as iRacing does. You buy S2 as it is, and maybe you'll get an update, maybe you won't. But I really can't read ONE more person supporting LFS because "it's just one guy working" or "it's cheap" etc. Others did MUCH better with less money or smaller teams so please just realise LFS is obsolete and more than 3 years behind in technology than ANY other sim right now and live with it. You like it? Good, keep on driving the XRT or whatever. You don't like it? There are PERFECTLY good sims out there so stop whining.
I personally stopped driving in LFS seriously at least 2 years ago and never came back, although it does make me sad to see one of the sims dying
Even if the patch came out today, LFS would still feel aged as hell and obsolete, even if the nice physics (i don't want to say the best because we don't know if it would be better than nkPro, iRacing or rFactor2) kept some of the interest alive.
lol, i love how this sounds

Quote :This thread is going to be here a long time.

Such an optimistic statement

But anyway, LFS will always have special place in my heart and i will be here whenever (if ever) something new comes up..
I agree with every word Makinen said. When I met netKar PRO about 4-5 years ago it was really into beta phase with a lot of bugs and unbelieveably bad physics. Now you look at it and you get into amazingness for 20€. You get the nice gravel and tyre physics, AND at least they keep their promises (There goes 1.2 patch).

Now about LFS in the past. Well, I met with it in 2002 and it was advanced for that time (no F1 Challenge and stuff, just the arcadeish F1 games). Then, in 1 year(and a half) the developers, same ones as now could make all the S1 content. Now they had 2 years and they can't even show up a complete car or a track. What should i say to that ? now then we waited another year for mid 2005 and we have S2 with another cars and 2 new tracks (plus Westhill). While S2 was coming and S1 was done, we got preview videos (http://www.liveforspeed.net/fi ... name=S2onboardXFRonBL.zip) to keep the community tuned for the patch coming. Now we get the same progess report with no pictures, as we had a year ago. Not even a video, or new preview pictures. The stamina from developers has changed a lot through the years thanks to the community and the way they want to make this simulator to perfection. It doesn't have to be perfect, it has to entertain the players. At the time, you are making a buisness on your down.

(bad english sorreh)
+1 for Makinen
exactly what i had predicted
that there were still some problems keeping scavier from releasing another patch
wich i actually like .
this way we will have a more perfect end-product!
thank you for aiming for perfection!

congratulations to Scawen, Eric and Victor!
i wish you all a merry christmas and a happy new year!
Quote from kiss me :that there were still some problems keeping scavier from releasing another patch
wich i actually like .

Come here...
Hey lets look positive. We need to make this thread with 150 pages like the old one and the update will be released
To the moaners(the ones without any valid points, and/or knowledge) - Stop doing it, it's not helping anybody. It's not even going to calm you down, it's just going to get deeper, until you finally explode in megabullshit. Have you not got that already?
To the demoers wanting content: I guess you haven't really started to get into the real world yet. REALIZE IT - TOILET PAPER IS PAID, WHY WOULD LFS BE FREE, THEN? DUH DUH DUH!
What's all this rage about?
It's not rage. It's capitalized bolded text, to make sure this exact part stands out the most in my post.
I'd like to meet the whine babies after the new patch gets released and they're blown away because there's nothing as realistic on the Simracing market on that date.

Thanks for being focused on perfection Scawen! I like LFS for what it is, the sound doesn't bother me at all, the physics are great already and what you guys are doing is improving on it! And that's a hell of a job, you guys should be able to realize that! And most of all, LFS makes me able to do something that I utterly love and thats racing.

I may not have the funds to race for real, but I do have the funds for a Logitech G25, a pc that runs LFS with ease and thus the ability to drive one of the best sims out there and get as close to reallife racing as possible.

I really couldn't care less for real tracks or real cars, in my eyes that isn't the main goal for a racing game. A fictional track gives the driver just as much of a challenge, and just like the cars they make LFS unique compared to other sims. Enjoy the game for what it is and not for what you want it to be. If you do, I think is about time you left!

Keep up the hard work Scawen, Victor and Eric and don't bother to set a deadline. I'll be online still racing everyday, if I can, untill it arrives and I'll be amongst the first to buy S3!

Thanks also for the great report on tyre physics, it was a very interesting read and gave me a great insight about how though it actually is to make (only) a tire to behave like the real world.

The finished product will be something the sim racing world has never seen or experienced before, I have full confidence in that! Goodluck with all the work you guys have to do and we'll hear from you in the next report (don't feel pushed by everyone out here and just go with your own flow, a perfect job can't be rushed) !

Grtz,

Drifters
This thread is closed

Progress Report December 2010
(1653 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG