The online racing simulator
Quote from DoC_uk :
Tho as Pat said , the chat log to that convo would make interesting reading ...Or they could just man up and tell us its gonna be next xmas if we are lucky ?

That would be, as it turns out, a private and as Gener Al said, most likely non existent chat.
So fingers crossed for crimbo eh, eh ?
why would they post progress reports if they wouldn't release for another year? lol
Quote from mr_spoon :I heard that Scawen is working on a second set of advanced tyre physics for the secret other car. It's going to be a NASA moon buggy with some specially designed Goodyear tyres, see linky:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/na ... h-moontire,news-9086.html

he is sitting right now in area 51 and driving the "unknown" car for some tests and doing some stuff with the aliens right there to get implement the best tyre physics ever!
Perhaps he's even been on a trip to the moon to test it out in a low gravity environment? He did say some time ago that he was expecting a call from NASA didn't he?

:slap:
I, for one, welcome our new alien racing overlords.
Quote from RasmusL :I, for one, welcome our new alien racing overlords.

i, for one, cant wait to see all the wreakers drift off into space screaming " ffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuu " for real...
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but would Scawen's post count indicate that he's been posting in a hidden forum somewhere (OMG Test Patch !?!!?1?11??), or at least doing stuff on the forums that we don't know about?

I went to the moon once. Didn't taste like cheese at all. :vomit:
Quote from farcar :Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but would Scawen's post count indicate that he's been posting in a hidden forum somewhere (OMG Test Patch !?!!?1?11??), or at least doing stuff on the forums that we don't know about?

Absolutely. You've got quite the eye too, his counts gone up quite a bit lately. False hope FTW!
Quote from farcar :Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but would Scawen's post count indicate that he's been posting in a hidden forum somewhere (OMG Test Patch !?!!?1?11??), or at least doing stuff on the forums that we don't know about?

It's been asked before, that same question. The answer is somewhere here in this thread, I'm sure, but from what I remember, it's all down to the private moderator's section here where moderation actions are mentioned / discussed, not a private test patch discussion area.
do you see how many people viewed this thread like 400,000+ wow, when the car does come out i think the servers will have to be upgraded for the traffic. As much as i hate to wait even for fast food i think it will be all bliss when it comes together.
Quote from ANAMENOONEHAD :do you see how many people viewed this thread like 400,000+

No, it's just how many click this topic has got
Quote from theirishnoob :i, for one, cant wait to see all the wreakers drift off into space screaming " ffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuu " for real...

intergalactic racing takes place at tatooine, bigger problem will be tuskan raiders
Traduzione da Italiano verso Inglese

Once again, hopefully it gets good news, a gift under the Christmas tree
People loved GPL, cause there were old racecars in it. That's what will happen to the Scirocco in LFS, as he probably will not be available for real at that time anymore
Haven't seen you on here for a while Vykos!
Do people not agree that there has to come a point sooner rather than later where the new tyre physics have to be released even if they arn't as perfect as the devs would like. I know they can't have massive bugs but as long as they are an overall improvement then why not? There's nothing to stop them being improved again and again in the future. Rather than work on them for years and years without anyone enjoying the advancements and the sim becoming old graphically and content wise but then suddenly one day have increadable physics.

Plus I know they have beta testers but surely if everyone got to try them the overall feedback would help define the direction of the physics in the future. Sometimes I feel they don't know the impact they have on people. I honestly believe hours and hours of playing this sim have made me a better racer and driver in real life. I bet sometimes when their sat at a computer desk trying to figure out a difficult bit of code it could get annoying and make you loose interest but if only they knew how much some of us appreciate their work.

I also know they like working at their own pace etc but surely it would be nice to release the hard work they have been doing so people can actually enjoy it and they can get some revenue in for the hard work they have done. I'm not saying release unfinished content but there must be some things finished.

Basically, there has to come a point when things need to get released because imagine if the tyre physics were released in another 3 or 4 years. Then they started working on brake temperatures for another 2 or 3 years. Then new sounds for a year, and then weather effects for 5 years. There wouldn't be enough time in their or our lifetime to complete the game or improve it to where it could and should be. LFS as it is now is proof that it's possible for 3 developers to make a brilliant sim in a reasonable amount of time. So either thay havn't been working anywhere near like they used to or they have a massive amount of work yet to be released in conjunction with S3 etc. With the lack of progress reports and Scawen's continued comments of only reporting to us when there's something worth reporting I can't help fear it's the former. I just hope they prove me wrong.....
The problem is, half-assed work won't do it anymore. With the likes of iRacing and Nkpro to compete with, LFS can't just do a decent job, it must be fantastic. Otherwise, why would you want to play LFS? It doesn't even have real cars or tracks! The physics are the key selling point for LFS, but if there are better physics out there then there are better games to play. Honestly, I think Scawen is trying to make this the end-all of tyre physics. While the physics can never be perfect, I believe he is trying to make this update good enough that when it's done he'll never have to do this sort of thing again. He'll be able to focus on other aspects of LFS and tyre physics will hopefully take a back seat in development as all it needs is to be tweaked. Perhaps my thinking is too ideal though.
Quote from Rappa Z :The problem is, half-assed work won't do it anymore. With the likes of iRacing and Nkpro to compete with, LFS can't just do a decent job, it must be fantastic. Otherwise, why would you want to play LFS? It doesn't even have real cars or tracks! The physics are the key selling point for LFS, but if there are better physics out there then there are better games to play. Honestly, I think Scawen is trying to make this the end-all of tyre physics. While the physics can never be perfect, I believe he is trying to make this update good enough that when it's done he'll never have to do this sort of thing again. He'll be able to focus on other aspects of LFS and tyre physics will hopefully take a back seat in development as all it needs is to be tweaked. Perhaps my thinking is too ideal though.

scawen is idealist too so u just might be right
Quote from Alric :Do people not agree that there has to come a point sooner rather than later where the new tyre physics have to be released even if they arn't as perfect as the devs would like.

Why?

The only reasons I can come up with, are if Scawen gets sick of the work and decides to release what he's got and give up, or if there is some pressing commercial imperative to do it. Neither of which I have any information about and neither, I'm assuming, do you.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Why?

Well, because imagine if in 20 years time he was still working on new tyre physics and hadn't released anything. That would surely be the death of the sim. It must come a point in the relative future when either he feels they are perfect or accept they are a big improvement over the current physics and release them anyway.
/thread ...

Now lets start a new 140+ thread and talk shit.
Quote from JPeace :Moonpig dot commmm

How dare you speak of the name Moonpig! Where are your manners?

DING DONG
This thread is closed

[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4434 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG