The online racing simulator
Quote from zeugnimod :Why should he waste his time by saying something that obvious?

"Please"
"Thank you"
"I love you"
"Watch out for that train!"

... All obvious statements, I guess they shouldn't be said
Quote from JPeace :I understand from peoples' posts that the "good ol' days" where back then, but there are still a massive amount of people driving online these days. Just because the old legends have left and found something else doesn't mean that the sim is dead. I agree it is failing on a league side of the sim as most old leagues are closed or failing and the really top drivers have gone so there is no benchmark.. But people are still driving the sim and buying S2 so I cannot understand how people can say that the sim is dead.

okay

Cruise servers. Mixed class servers are all maxed out, but there is 5.
150 drivers who drive on a daily basis on full servers, back in the day 2-3 years ago, you would struggle to get into a server with only 4-5 people in.

So mate utter bs.
+1 TO LINDYYY BOY!!!!!

a
Quote from JPeace :So if its "utter" bs, why are there people still online?

people like you who has only been here for 2 years or less even, they still haven't tried cruising yet or drifting for that instance.
Quote from GeForz :Why are you wasting your time by saying something obvious? ;°

My time isn't as valuable as Scawen's. And I'm doing that for 5 years now, look at my postcount.

Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :"Please"
"Thank you"
"I love you"
"Watch out for that train!"

... All obvious statements, I guess they shouldn't be said

Don't play dumb.

It just wouldn't change anything if Scawen posted "I'm alive and working on LFS" once a week. People would still moan. And everyone with a bit of a brain should be able to think far enough to realize that he won't suddenly abandon a project he has worked over 8 years on.
Quote from JPeace :I have tried both. We are both arguing where we both are doing the same thing, your saying im talking bs cos I only joined in '08, and you are talking bs because you don't know everything that I do on LFS.

i never said i cared about anything that you have ever done in lfs,
all I'm saying is that you're talking bs since you obviously have no idea of what LFS used to look like, and what it looks like now.
I'm here from the very begining and i tried it all, but never fancied drifting or cruising.

That aside. Wont go thru whole thread, but if there is any news, when will developement move forward? When updates,...
Quote from Alles :I'm here from the very begining and i tried it all, but never fancied drifting or cruising.

That aside. Wont go thru whole thread, but if there is any news, when will developement move forward? When updates,...

Early 2009
Quote from Alles :Funny

That's the best answer i can find for you, which is still relevant, somewhere mate. I'm sorry.
Quote from JPeace :I do, I got to see the last parts of what it was like. But surly you are talking bs if you saying that I have not drifted or cruised.. But anyway, I accept that I am not able to comment on what it was, but I can comment on what it is now. And thats that people are still buying S2 every day.

I still don't care about you, lol.... understand already!
Quote from zeugnimod :
It just wouldn't change anything if Scawen posted "I'm alive and working on LFS" once a week. People would still moan. And everyone with a bit of a brain should be able to think far enough to realize that he won't suddenly abandon a project he has worked over 8 years on.

I never said it would change anything, at least in terms of forum whining.

Common courtesy, that's all.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :I never said it would change anything, at least in terms of forum whining.

Common courtesy, that's all.

I've got to agree with BBT there. Whiners would still whine, but there are some people who would appreciate having these little development updates

Just throw in a screenshot every other week, and people will love it. Remember how everyone was amazed at the leaning XRT due to the new physics ?
Quote from JPeace :I do, I got to see the last parts of what it was like. But surly you are talking bs if you saying that I have not drifted or cruised.. But anyway, I accept that I am not able to comment on what it was, but I can comment on what it is now. And thats that people are still buying S2 every day.

You'll just have to wait then to see what we mean, if you think LFS is good as it is now, wait 3 years down the line with no development and you will see the type of change we have been through but some nobber (you) will always say theres nothing wrong and it's better than it ever was.

You say you know what it was like but obviously you don't because in one of the above posts your experience of what it was like was what everyone else had said about the "good old days" and now you claim to have seen what it was like? Contradict yourself a little why don't you.
As I've said before patches are great but 'good' racers to share it is far far more important, its what makes drivers click ' join now'.

The good old days are today... if you actually enjoy LFS for what it is and stop worrying about what advances are coming up.

Nothing lives for ever, but LFS is far from dead from my observations
I'm normally a 'glass is half empty' type of guy but LFS came in a bigger glass
I dream'd the new patch and godzila was there
So your point is:"Even if Scawen releases stuff people would still moan".
Perfect, so there's no point to have updates because people would complain anyway?
As for some comments: my time is valuable at least like Scawen's, i don't know what's behind this exagerated protection of him.
Some would state that he's some sort of god which can never be wrong.
rfactor2 is coming soon, and GT5 is out in november, both should be nice little time killers in the meantime.
So much love!
:jedi:
Quote from EliteAti :Good to hear from you Scawen, it is sad you've lost a great bit of motivation towards LFS. I hope it all gets back up as soon as possible (Development speed wise etc).

In my experience, this is normal with a big project. Especially when you're re-working something difficult and fundamental, and you've spent years on the same project.

Once the current hard stuff is out of the way, and there's a bit of breathing time, and everything settles down, they'll have time to think about new ideas, and exciting things again. And if your code hasn't just been bodged (which is why what's causing the delays, as there are unexpected results at the moment), and it's all neat and sturdy, it becomes a nice "place" to implement these new ideas, and the passion comes back.

As someone that has been working on a big project written in VB6 for the last 5 years, which was originally written by some clueless graduates, and is a huge inconsistent mess, where you never know where to even start, and every fix leads off in to a tangent that suggests a rewrite of the whole bloody thing; I see what Scawen is doing is 100% the right thing to do.
It will give maximum life and the highest quality to us in the long run. I hope he is thick skinned, and sticks to his guns, as they're some good guns. It's absolutely the right strategy.
LFS won't die if people start leaving en masse for another game. Take a break and play that other game, and if you get an email from LFS mentioning a new patch, come and check it out again. That's what I've done since I bought S2.

It's just one of those things. It's like tolerating annoying street preachers because you hold free speech to be important. Even though you just want to walk over and give them an ear full.
It's the same with this.
LFS is good because it's a small team, without whips, deadlines, bureaucrats, and suits wanting to cut corners to save time (money).
The price of that, and the price of having this for a long time, is the work process Scawen has described here, which does lead to things being done when they're done.
As a fan, it IS annoying. As annoying as the street preacher, but I tolerate it BY taking a break and keeping one eye on LFS sometimes, BECAUSE the result of the annoyance is something worth being annoyed for.

I want the tyre physics NAOUUGH!!
I want Rockingham LAST year.
Weather systems, night and day, damage, DX11, new sounds etc etc would cause blood to spurt from every orifice from full-force-happiness.
Couldn't care MUCH for the Scirocco as FWD is as interesting to me as scratching the combination build up of dead skin and hair product off the various control surfaces in my car with a key while waiting to pick someone up... no wait that's something I quite enjoy- but my point is, until Charities start making games, I don't think you can have it both ways.

Look at Codemasters latest effort with F1 2010. It looks stunning, sounds stunning and has a snazzy menu, funky music, real tracks, weather, night-races, is a finished product and was released on time; but it's dead behind the eyes. It's done. That's it. Mario Kart has more "sandboxy" physics.

To someone who hasn't been there, it's easy to get angry and feel like you want to shake the developers.
As someone who understands the process, it's easy to get angry and feel like you want to shake the developers, but then you see that it's reasonable (if still annoying!), and is in the best interests of the project. We've got thousands of deadline games with cut corners and missed opportunities. Why do we need another one of those?

tl;dr see above
I think that in the same week we'll see rfactor2 and lfs s3 ....
Quote from Scawen :when it gets too annoying, I guess I'll unsubscribe again.

He dosen't read this thread.. So wait untill X-mas is comming..

And he had wrote something that you all need to know and calm down then

Quote from Scawen :
For a long time there was nothing to say, with some half developed tyre physics and unfinished AI drivers. When I had something to say, I said it. Hope you understand, as many others do!

So Scawen didnt finished something for the new s3 content and when its done.... Scawen will be back here to post something !
Quote from EeekiE :...............
Look at Codemasters latest effort with F1 2010. It looks stunning, sounds stunning and has a snazzy menu, funky music, real tracks, weather, night-races, is a finished product and was released on time; but it's dead behind the eyes. It's done. That's it. Mario Kart has more "sandboxy" physics.

hahahahaha, gtfo!
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :hahahahaha, gtfo!

Have you played it? It's terrible!

I've played it on PC with a wheel, and it's canned slides and canned correction of oversteer. It's the worst racing game I've ever played.
I can even remember games on Sega Saturn being more of an open simulation of a real physical world (even if it didn't represent the one we live in!)

F1 2010 feels like a "Quick Time event" driven game, where you just need to make an effort to turn, or correct a slide within a certain time. Myth had more freedom...

Even with all the driver assists turned off, I got in to a rear end slide, that seemed to almost have been animated, and was facing the wrong way for a good half a second. I made a token gesture at turning in to it, and it just sort of rotated me back perfectly in line with the racing line. I get the feeling it didn't matter how much I corrected, or how quickly you reacted, as long as you just turned in to the slide, in some manner, before 500ms had expired. It feels rigged.

Point being, I'd rather have LFS without eye candy and weather and night time stuff that so many people cry for, than something that looks and sounds great, but is essentially dead behind the eyes.
This thread is closed

[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4434 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG