The online racing simulator
Quote from amp88 :One of the most interesting things I took from today's race was the difference in reaction between Vettel and Hamilton. Vettel had a car failure and this is what he said:

When McLaren arguably got the strategy wrong (but we don't know if Hamilton could have made it to the end considering we all know he's hard on tyres) this is what he said:

The difference in reaction tells you all you need to know about these drivers. One's a team player and the other's arrogant, selfish, immature and petty.

And then we luckely always got the people to summ everything up and pretent like the know everything better instead of thinking with a racing mind...
Quote from Rudy van Buren :And then we luckely always got the people to summ everything up and pretent like the know everything better instead of thinking with a racing mind...

So Vettel doesn't have a racing mind? What good does it do for the team to have a driver publicly putting them down?
Quote from JCTK :the last time Lewis did his own thing, he got grilled by everyone too... lol

Which one was that? I remember the incident where he got stuck in the worlds smallest gravel trap after staying out on rubbish tyres too long, but I don't know if that was his call or not. Either way if the driver is not willing to make his own call at the time then they can't complain if the teams decision doesn't play out.

EDIT: You can't really compare the reactions of Vettel and Hamilton. Vettel was out of the race due to a mechanical failure, nothing he or the team could do about it, and he didn't talk to anyone for a short time afterwards, obviously waiting to clear his head and engage PR mode. Hamilton got on the radio out of frustration after driving a blinding race, obviously fueled by frustration and anger after a poor weekend on and off the track.
WTF shoei?
"worlds smallest gravel trap"

That made me smile ty
Quote from amp88 :So Vettel doesn't have a racing mind? What good does it do for the team to have a driver publicly putting them down?

Vettel says it smarter yes, but in the end who cares, mclaren gets hamilton in for a pitstop while its not needed and he looses positions with it, atleast a p1,2 for mclaren. If you then see your teammate winning the race without stopping wouldnt u get frustrated? imo he has all rights to crack mclaren down there, the give him the call the cause the lost places..
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Which one was that? I remember the incident where he got stuck in the worlds smallest gravel trap after staying out on rubbish tyres too long, but I don't know if that was his call or not. Either way if the driver is not willing to make his own call at the time then they can't complain if the teams decision doesn't play out.

the infamous Hungary 2007 qualifying...

Lewis need to learn (and he's still learning and is willing to learn, no doubt about it) that it's always easier to think better on hindsights, than a heart pumping split second decision on strategy.

I think after this weekend, Button has a pretty good shot of trying to get the team behind him.
Quote from Rudy van Buren :Vettel says it smarter yes, but in the end who cares, mclaren gets hamilton in for a pitstop while its not needed and he looses positions with it, atleast a p1,2 for mclaren. If you then see your teammate winning the race without stopping wouldnt u get frustrated? imo he has all rights to crack mclaren down there, the give him the call the cause the lost places..

I dissagree ... he could have said .."no i dont want new tires ..i will make these last "

As for getting frustrated ..do it quietly ..not on the radio
Quote from Rudy van Buren :Vettel says it smarter yes, but in the end who cares, mclaren gets hamilton in for a pitstop while its not needed and he looses positions with it, atleast a p1,2 for mclaren. If you then see your teammate winning the race without stopping wouldnt u get frustrated? imo he has all rights to crack mclaren down there, the give him the call the cause the lost places..

Well, clearly the team will. How many times have we seen Hamilton making mistakes on and off the track and getting involved in fights he shouldn't? When he makes a mistake he doesn't really take the blame for it (outside of the obligatory PR junk) but when he perceives that someone else makes a mistake (another driver, his engineer, the team) he slams them publicly. He doesn't learn from his mistakes is another problem.
I think Button has an infinitely more professional mindset than Hamilton... maybe it has something to do with his wide range of experience in F1: driven in a mediocre performing car, driven in a very underperforming car, driven in a very overperforming car. The guy has so much more tolerance for dealing with bad situations and re-focussing it into something good. I doubt you would hear him bitch at his team during a race for making the wrong call - great way to make your people put more effort into your well-mannered (albeit whilst also walking around with a cheesy arrogant grin every once in a while) world-title defending team-mate.

Hamilton just seems to want the fastest car, the best treatment, have his strategy chewed and swallowed for him and expect to be on that top step every time with raw brainless pace. It will be interesting to see what will happen now that he has no manager anymore - maybe he needed someone to twat him around the head every once in a while to keep both his feet on the ground. We might get to see the process of Anakin Skywalker turning into Darth Vader here
Quote from JCTK :the infamous Hungary 2007 qualifying...

Ah yes, but that wasn't really him making a brave call, rather him being a child and ignoring his teams rules and compromising the teams performance out of arrogance or ignorence, or both.

Poor team play by Massa today, that will come back to hurt him later on in the season. Alonso was clearly faster and potentially good enough to take Kubica. Massa doesn't want to be creating any tension between himself and Alonso, because Ferrari won't be getting rid of Alonso if they are forced to make a choice between the two, especially if they can land Kubica in his place.

EDIT: @ Jertje, Button cried on the radio last year saying how terrible his car was on more than one occasion.
Good thing we had some bits of water for the first laps to cause a bit of carnage and some sliding cars.

BUT, I think this race was in the most aspects the same as the first one as it showed that everything else that the one obvious mandatory stop for the tire change is the better strategy due cars not being able to overtake each other. The winner pitted on lap 6, changed to the soft compound and finished without having any tire trouble. I don't think that should be possible, even with a car being very easy on the tires. Hamilton was over 1,5 secs faster than Kubica when closing up and couldn't pass and he was about 1 second faster when closing up on Alonso at the end. Sure both are good drivers but with that speed difference it should be at least possible to make a move...

Congrats to Button for being the first with balls and dry tires and winning it while Red Bull might invest some more money for QM
Well that was simply brilliant!

Flawless drive from Jenson. And Kubica too!

Hamilton though, driver of the day for me. Amazing driving and racing from the start. Round the outside of Rosberg in 11-12. Breathtaking. The tire decision on the other hand was just terrible. So easily could of been 1-2 for Mclaren...

Also, Webber is a bloody plonker... Just freaking drove into him....

Anyways. Great race.
Quote from DoC_uk :I dissagree ... he could have said .."no i dont want new tires ..i will make these last "

As for getting frustrated ..do it quietly ..not on the radio

Hamilton has to rely on the feedback he gets from the team in regard to strategy like this, unlike Button's call which was based on whether the grip was going to be there or not. Hamilton had to consider whether the other cars around him would pit. That was out of his contro as he doesn't have the visual and time data. Only his team would know what state Renault and Ferrari were in tyre wise. The two decisions require completely different thought processes.

I actually think Button saw Hamilton had just owned him and thought he may as well gamble instead of getting dropped on track.

McLaren mad a gigantic stragetic error, and that is fairly obvious. Hamilton trusted their judgement because they were the ones who had the cards on the table.

This is what I don't understand. They had 20 laps or so and pitted Hamilton. Why did they assume that Renault wouldn't just say "Hamilton has pitted... we may as well stay out and gamble" Pitting Hamilton was just stupid and ruined the drive of the race.

I think calling him immature is a bit weak. Alonso has been just as crazy in the past at his team. I've heard Kubica bollocking his team as well. He knows he was screwed over, and if he didn't show a bit of emotion then he wouldn't be human.
Quote from jertje :i think button has an infinitely more professional mindset than hamilton... Maybe it has something to do with his wide range of experience in f1: Driven in a mediocre performing car, driven in a very underperforming car, driven in a very overperforming car. The guy has so much more tolerance for dealing with bad situations and re-focussing it into something good. I doubt you would hear him bitch at his team during a race for making the wrong call - great way to make your people put more effort into your well-mannered (albeit whilst also walking around with a cheesy arrogant grin every once in a while) world-title defending team-mate.

Hamilton just seems to want the fastest car, the best treatment, have his strategy chewed and swallowed for him and expect to be on that top step every time with raw brainless pace. It will be interesting to see what will happen now that he has no manager anymore - maybe he needed someone to twat him around the head every once in a while to keep both his feet on the ground. We might get to see the process of anakin skywalker turning into darth vader here

+1
Quote from Jertje :I think Button has an infinitely more professional mindset than Hamilton...

"Yes... I am now a Williams driver"

yh... how easily people forget how Button turned his back on BAR/Honda only to get his arse spanked
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :EDIT: @ Jertje, Button cried on the radio last year saying how terrible his car was on more than one occasion.

Ah touché! I did forget about that fine piece of drama, but it did come across as slightly less offensively directed.
Rubens went absolutely ape shit at brawn last year...and went on to pretty much outclass Button from that point onwards!

There are tons of times drivers go of one one. It's pretty normal!
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Ah yes, but that wasn't really him making a brave call, rather him being a child and ignoring his teams rules and compromising the teams performance out of arrogance or ignorence, or both.

Poor team play by Massa today, that will come back to hurt him later on in the season. Alonso was clearly faster and potentially good enough to take Kubica. Massa doesn't want to be creating any tension between himself and Alonso, because Ferrari won't be getting rid of Alonso if they are forced to make a choice between the two, especially if they can land Kubica in his place.

EDIT: @ Jertje, Button cried on the radio last year saying how terrible his car was on more than one occasion.

but he wasn't criticising the team...
he was just saying the car was terrible on those set of tyres, which it was.
And he was probably trying to see if the team can find something to advice him on how to make the situation better...
Quote from Jertje :Ah touché! I did forget about that fine piece of drama, but it did come across as slightly less offensively directed.

Hamilton - "Terrible decision guys"
Button - "How is the car so freaking terrible?!"

Hmmm. Looks pretty even to me...

Anyway, someone sent an email to F1 Forum to saying "Do we have another Senna v Prost team. One cool the other always hotheaded".

Thats actually very true. During race build up Button also said "I loved Prost and this car". And as we know, Hamilton loves Senna.
Quote from Intrepid :
"Yes... I am now a Williams driver"

yh... how easily people forget how Button turned his back on BAR/Honda only to get his arse spanked

yeah... But Button seems to have matured a lot now...

and Lewis is still "young"...
Quote from JCTK :yeah... But Button seems to have matured a lot now...

and Lewis is still "young"...

lol OK

Hamilton drove an absolutely superb race today and someone made a one of the worst strategic calls I've seen for a long time. Why on earth did they pit him expecting all three cars around him to would pit as well? I simply do not know. button was proving you could go the full distance on the one set and it was obvious that if Hamilton pitted at least one of the three, especially Kubica, would gamble to the end.

If Lewis didn't get angry then there would be something seriously wrong with him. It didn't do Rubens much harm last year where he improved after his rant, and it hasn't done Alonso much harm either.
Quote from Intrepid :
"Yes... I am now a Bar/honda driver"

yh... how easily people forget how Button turned his back on Williams only to get his arse spanked

Think thats better ..

and in 2004 he finished with 85 points ... coming 3rd in the championship

Hardly an arse kicking ... ok after that he did go backwards
Quote from DoC_uk :Think thats better ..

and in 2004 he finished with 85 points ... coming 3rd in the championship

Hardly an arse kicking ... ok after that he did go backwards

Arse spanking by the team who quickly brought him in line!

I think betraying a team and trying to fiddle your way out of a contract to join another team is a far worse crime they having a little rant on a radio after you've been screwed over.
Quote from Intrepid :lol OK

Hamilton drove an absolutely superb race today and someone made a one of the worst strategic calls I've seen for a long time. Why on earth did they pit him expecting all three cars around him to would pit as well? I simply do not know. button was proving you could go the full distance on the one set and it was obvious that if Hamilton pitted at least one of the three, especially Kubica, would gamble to the end.

If Lewis didn't get angry then there would be something seriously wrong with him. It didn't do Rubens much harm last year where he improved after his rant, and it hasn't done Alonso much harm either.

As I said, it's easier to think better in hindsight... Especially since teams are still learning about what should and should not be done with these non-refueling era~

But during that period of the race, Michael Schumacher set a massive fastest lap, McLaren probably panic-ed, pitted Lewis in order to split the strategy to get everything covered.

Either that, or they'd expect an easier time for Lewis to pass someone who hasn't pitted, or weren't expecting Lewis to be able to make his tyres last.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG